perica
Nov 30 2007, 07:54 PM
Do you putt with your index finger on the rim or with all 4 underneath the disc?

par54whereareyo
Nov 30 2007, 09:50 PM
poorly

cbdiscpimp
Dec 01 2007, 03:32 PM
All 4 underneath but the index finger rests under the rim and does not touch the flight plate!!!

ChrisWoj
Dec 01 2007, 07:13 PM
Since Bill stole my joke... Three main fingers on bottom of flight plate, index on the bottom half of the rim. Slight pinch of middle finger and thumb.

crgadyk
Dec 03 2007, 05:35 PM
Same as Woj... kind of like a pinched fan grip

ANHYZER
Dec 03 2007, 06:22 PM
All 4 underneath but the index finger rests under the rim and does not touch the flight plate!!!

Same here...

boredatwork
Dec 03 2007, 07:04 PM
yeah, that's the same for me too

rollinghedge
Dec 03 2007, 07:19 PM

Same here...

Ditto

ck34
Dec 03 2007, 07:29 PM
According to some West Virginians, they have a few folks with enough fingers to do both... :eek:

gotcha
Dec 04 2007, 08:38 AM
I hold all of my discs the same way....driver, mid-range, putter.
I'll place a firmer hold on a driver for obvious reasons, but the grip remains the same. :)

rollinghedge
Dec 04 2007, 08:56 AM
Most other shots I use this...

http://www.innovadiscs.com/tips/images/grips/thumbs/P1010048.jpg
:D

frolfdisc
Dec 04 2007, 12:35 PM

Same here...

Ditto

Double-ditto (but I can't say that it works very well for me....)
/msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

- JPB

m_conners
Dec 04 2007, 02:06 PM
I think you can classify putting two different ways. You are either a "spin" putter or a "push" putter. Spin putters are usually the more aggressive putters and push putters put less spin on the disc so it kind of drops out of the air into the bucket hitting chains on the way down.

Anybody know what i mean?

cbdiscpimp
Dec 04 2007, 02:45 PM
I think you can classify putting two different ways. You are either a "spin" putter or a "push" putter. Spin putters are usually the more aggressive putters and push putters put less spin on the disc so it kind of drops out of the air into the bucket hitting chains on the way down.

Yes I know what you mean..........Push putters use more of an ARC to get the disc to the basket and spin putters use more of a forced straight line at the bucket which is why if your spin putt gets off it can get UGLY butt if your push putt is off you most likley still have a drop in after a missed putt!!!

dionarlyn
Dec 04 2007, 04:07 PM
index finger on the rim

boredatwork
Dec 04 2007, 04:37 PM
This is just from my experience but the "spin putters" that I play with tend to make a higher percentage of putts from a much wider range of stances and in a wider range of wind/weather conditions than push putters. The "push putters" can make putts without the assistance of the chains and almost never have come-back putts but the disc spends more time in the air and has a less direct route to the basket. Of course either style works when the player is hot. Watching the video of KCWO7 I notice Steve Brinster has a huge arc to his straddle and still manages to make most of his putts but man it looks more difficult than just flicking the putter in there on a straight line.

dionarlyn
Dec 04 2007, 05:10 PM
each has its strength / weakness. over the years my arcing putt has developed into a spin putt on a moderatly non-arcing line. my comfort and confidence has gone up and thats what i attribute my more direct style to, that and i putt with the classic roc now - low profile/fast/doesn't float.

c_trotter
Dec 04 2007, 05:57 PM

I know what you mean, but I think there are players who have a hybrid spin/push style putt.

Players that come to mind are Steve Rico and Kyle Crabtree, with Rico's leaning a little more on the "push" side and Kyles on the "spin"side. I fall into that spin/push category as well.

I have more spin than most push putters, but not as much as a normal spin putter. I still loft my putt into the basket. I rarely have long comebackers, but I would not consider it either a true "push" or true "spin" putt. It is my own style that I am pretty sure i adopted from my dad when I was very young.

I practiced the push putt a bunch and have come to the conclusion that my "hybrid" putt is the best putt for me. It allows me to have more feel. I always wanted a really good push putt, but realized my putt is my own and now I BELIEVE in it. That is all that matters. :D

cbdiscpimp
Dec 04 2007, 06:02 PM
This is just from my experience but the "spin putters" that I play with tend to make a higher percentage of putts from a much wider range of stances and in a wider range of wind/weather conditions than push putters. The "push putters" can make putts without the assistance of the chains and almost never have come-back putts but the disc spends more time in the air and has a less direct route to the basket. Of course either style works when the player is hot. Watching the video of KCWO7 I notice Steve Brinster has a huge arc to his straddle and still manages to make most of his putts but man it looks more difficult than just flicking the putter in there on a straight line.

I would say that the push putters are the more consistent of the bunch.........When the push putt is off its not that big of a deal but when the spin putt is off god help whoever is using it!!! It easier to make adjustments with the push putt..........More off center putts go in with the push putt..........The spit outs are usually far less with a push putt than with a spin putt..........Putting in the wind is hard no matter what style you use and in the wind you will notice that the push putters switch to a much more direct putting style into a head wind and again if you miss with a push putt in the wind its not as likely to go SOARING off the top or god knows where like it can with a spin putt..........Overall I would say the push putt is more consistent and reliable but the spin putters distance range is quite a bit better when they are HOT!!! But if your playing good golf you really dont need to hit putts from very far out anyway.

Just my 2 cents

cbdiscpimp
Dec 04 2007, 07:02 PM

I know what you mean, but I think there are players who have a hybrid spin/push style putt.

Players that come to mind are Steve Rico and Kyle Crabtree, with Rico's leaning a little more on the "push" side and Kyles on the "spin"side. I fall into that spin/push category as well.

I have more spin than most push putters, but not as much as a normal spin putter. I still loft my putt into the basket. I rarely have long comebackers, but I would not consider it either a true "push" or true "spin" putt. It is my own style that I am pretty sure i adopted from my dad when I was very young.

I practiced the push putt a bunch and have come to the conclusion that my "hybrid" putt is the best putt for me. It allows me to have more feel. I always wanted a really good push putt, but realized my putt is my own and now I BELIEVE in it. That is all that matters. :D

I agree with you there..........Most people call me a PUSH putter and I do loft my putts but I consider myself a PITCH putter........Its a loft with a little wrist involved.......I [censored] my wrist and kinda pitch it up in the air as if I was trying to drop it into the chains/bucket..........Same as if I walked into a room and I was trying to land a nice size textbook flat on a table and have it stay there!!!

Thats how I describe my putt and I have seen yours and its pretty close in style to mine!!! Which will hopefully be working when I come visit you in Vegas for my 3rd GCC in a row!!!

quickdisc
Dec 04 2007, 08:06 PM
I putt faster than most !!! /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

davei
Dec 04 2007, 09:49 PM

There are three ways to putt. Pitch/shovel, fly/spin, and push. A push putt includes turbos, basketball, and butterfly putts. World Champs Barry Schultz and Ken Climo are pitch putters. Pitch putts are thrown basically like horse shoes from low to high in a relatively high arc compared to a fly putt. Fly/spin putts are thrown horizontally with a backhand flicking motion, (though it can be done sidearm too, and upside down with both deliveries). World Champs Ron Russell and Nate Doss are fly putters. A push putt is done with pressure on the back of the rim through the disc. A one finger push is the classic style. Butterflies, basketball, and turbos use multiple fingers all behind the disc pushing through it.

cbdiscpimp
Dec 04 2007, 09:57 PM
So what your saying is when I call myself a pitch putter and everyone else says push that im right and they are wrong??? And Dave Avery Kenny and Barry and the like are pitch putters NOT push putters???

CRUISER
Dec 05 2007, 12:33 AM
Good question. :confused:

CRUISER
Dec 05 2007, 02:29 AM

This only works if you yourself are a hybrid/freak. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

davei
Dec 05 2007, 07:46 AM
So what your saying is when I call myself a pitch putter and everyone else says push that im right and they are wrong??? And Dave Avery Kenny and Barry and the like are pitch putters NOT push putters???

Yes, although I appreciate that the vernacular has been warped in the last two or three years. The push putt has been around for over 30 years. It used to be somewhat popular in Arizona. Someone erroneously started calling pitch putts, push, and apparently others took their lead. I just wanted to straighten out the vocabulary back to the original, and I believe, appropriate.

pterodactyl
Dec 05 2007, 10:21 AM
My belief is that you shouldn't limit yourself to one style of putting. There are too many possible situations that you may meet that require variations of putting styles. I recommend practicing all types of styles.

boredatwork
Dec 05 2007, 11:01 AM
But if your playing good golf you really dont need to hit putts from very far out anyway.

If that statement were true, golf could be quite boring. Holes that are out of your range of max distance or have trickly elevation changes and lots of obstacles will always make long putts essential to separating the best players from the second best players.

rollinghedge
Dec 05 2007, 11:40 AM
I thought the main difference was being 90% (or better) from 40' and in.

crgadyk
Dec 05 2007, 12:08 PM
I doubt people outside the midwest will undestand but... I play a lot of cornhole to help my putting. Its a very similiar motion, start low and pitch forward with momentum swinging your body and arm forward. It produces a fairly flat, nose down, smooth flight pattern towards the basket. I don't have a huge comeback putt very often and a lot of the longer ones have a good chance of going in.

BTW.. for people outside the midwest cornhole is a game that is much like horseshoes but uses wooden boxes with a hole in it and bean bags to score points. :p

drdisc
Dec 06 2007, 11:58 PM
Who is making up new names for putts? Front Foot Forward, Straddle, Jump, Twist and Turbo have been around for years.
Check them out on the new DVD Disc golf 101.

rhockaday
Dec 07 2007, 07:46 PM
Based on the putt, I decide what style to use for the best results. as for my fingers, 3 on the flight plate and the index finger on the bottom inside of the rim.

Ruder
Dec 11 2007, 05:16 AM
I've watched Coda play golf quite a few times, but, I think, I've noticed him grip his putter with a power grip.

I've messed around with it, and it creates an immense amount of spin with little effort, but the release to the basket seems a bit tought to get down.

So can anyone confirm or deny his grip?

JohnLambert
Dec 13 2007, 11:57 AM
From my experience spin is undesirable when putting. Unless you're slamming pro side chains consistently, I think a push putt has more potential to fall in or stay in. I've seen that the majority of putters around here putt plenty of spin on. But some of the most consistent pro's I've seen use more of a dead weight method. Throwing a rainbow line with very little spin. But I've yet to perfect any of these styles.

P.S. After I used the word 'rainbow' to describe their putting I quickly received feedback that it's not masculine enough. So I'll re-describe it as the "dead eject" putt. :D

geoloseth
Jan 14 2008, 09:21 PM
I've tried most putting styles, like almost everyone else. I've found that a fly/spin style putting is much more accurate from most all distances. Most fly/spin putters that I've seen have a big problem of having putts sail by if they miss and they end up with the same distance putt coming back. I've changed my putting over the years to still put spin on the disc, but I make sure to putt with an imaginary obstacle that is almost the same height as the basket and situated about half-way between me and the pin. I also try to make sure that I put only enough force to get the disc to the basket in order to eliminate huge misses. As of now I can make about 75% of my putts from about 35' and about 50% from 45'. However I do change the angle of attack when the distance becomes more than 50'.

I remember there being a good article about putting that used Juliana Korver as an example. Or maybe that's just my imagination.

perica
Jan 15 2008, 01:16 AM
I have a bad tendency of blowing by high and right of the chains. I spin putt by the way. Anyone have any advice on stance or some other thing that might be going wrong? I seem to give a better chance at really long ones (40+) and then blow by short ones.

skaZZirf
Jan 15 2008, 01:47 PM
How do I putt? Very Poorly.

pgyori
Jan 15 2008, 03:14 PM
For all of my backhand throws - putting, midrange, and drives - i have my index finger on the lower rim of the disc. For drivers it tends to be closer to the actual underside of the disc, but that's because of the wide rims of drivers, rather than changing my grip to get more power.

My stance is ~90 degrees perpendicular to the basket for drives and putts, unless i need to step around an object. For putts under 35', there is less spin than on drives/midranges, and more "push" rather than "throw". For putt over 35', i tend to have more "up/down" in my putt, taking a decrease in chance of making for an increase in follow up position. Of course, that 35' can vary depending on wind, pin position, etc. i.e. on a windy day, or if there's a sharp drop after the basket, i'm more likely to lay up a 30' putt.

I've changed putters several times, and have currently settled on the FLX Challenger. I've gone back to the Wizard (not a super hard Wizard, rather firm with a more rubbery middle) several times, but have gotten pretty comfortable with the FLX Challenger. Now, if Discraft would only put out a FLX Magnet or some such, i'd have a better solution for windy days.

mwatson10324
Jan 15 2008, 03:53 PM
I play a lot of cornhole to help my putting.

Same as Baggo right? Cool game, and certainly mimics the motions of putting.

pnkgtr
Jan 15 2008, 05:05 PM
I recently switched putters and putting styles (at about the same time... I know , It's crazy) But switching to a somewhat flat, slight hyzer putt has helped me a lot. The thing about a hyzer putt is that by it's nature it makes the basket 4" - 6" wider. Now when I miss on the right side (I putt left handed) the disc stays in. Those same putts thrown flat, kick out every time.

\I have reservations about playing a game called cornhole. Especially if that weird uncle is around.

frolfdisc
Jan 15 2008, 07:34 PM
I have reservations about playing a game called cornhole. Especially if that weird uncle is around.

Can't say I didn't see that one coming.
Still a good one though, Rich.
Thanks for the chuckle.
:D
- JPB

JRauch
Jan 16 2008, 12:06 AM
I have a bad tendency of blowing by high and right of the chains. I spin putt by the way. Anyone have any advice on stance or some other thing that might be going wrong? I seem to give a better chance at really long ones (40+) and then blow by short ones.

Aim lower and more left... ;)

crgadyk
Jan 17 2008, 10:49 AM

Yeah I think its the same... since I am more of a pitch putter anyways, its a great way to get practice with that motion and have fun. Its more exciting to play that at a bar with friends than it is to stand in the basement and putt into my basket alone :)

travisgreenway
Jan 17 2008, 12:10 PM

Yeah I think its the same... since I am more of a pitch putter anyways, its a great way to get practice with that motion and have fun. Its more exciting to play that at a bar with friends than it is to stand in the basement and putt into my basket alone :)

What is it and how do you play :confused:

If it can go on the message board :eek: :o:D

Big E
Jan 17 2008, 12:33 PM
Like washers. But you use been bags instead of a washer and I think you only get points for going "in the hole" ( just like life) :DI actually saw this game in Fox and The Hound, the set up was just like Golden Tee.

crgadyk
Jan 17 2008, 02:36 PM
Like washers. But you use bean bags instead of a washer and I think you only get points for going "in the hole" ( just like life) :DI actually saw this game in Fox and The Hound, the set up was just like Golden Tee.

You were close :)
You get 3 points for making it in the hole and 1 point for keeping your bag on the box. Its like horeshoes but can be played indoors. Points from opposing teams cancel each other out. Its huge here in Ohio..we have the golden tee branded video game called "bags" here.

crgadyk
Jan 18 2008, 10:48 AM
I have tried spin putting and just can't get it down. I make my share of 40-50 footers with a pitching style. Its easier for me to jump putt with a pitch and run at it then it would be to throw it with a lot of spin at it. If I miss with my style, I might go 20 past it but if I actually throw it at the basket with some spin I could be 40 or worse on the comebacker.

As long as you get enough forward motion with your body, pitching a disc 50 feet isn't terribly difficult :)