chrispfrisbee
Nov 30 2007, 03:38 PM
http://www.eatsleepdisc.com/spaw/uploads/images/uswom.JPG

This is going to be a BIG ONE! The first USWDGC outside Illinois in awhile! Come on down to Huntsville for some southern hospitality and great disc golf! The vision for this event is aimed high and I can assure you that the Rocket City Chain Gang will run a top notch event! Make your plans to attend the 10th Annual PDGA US Women's Disc Golf Championships!

bruce_brakel
Dec 17 2007, 12:02 PM
We just got home from playing the courses they are planning on using. Good courses. The Arsenal is awesome. UAH is really challenging. Hartsell [or whatever it is called] is fun. This is a good mix of courses that everyone can enjoy.

The TD is planning on running a really good tournament for the ams and the pros. He took the entire day to show us around. We're expecting to be coming back in Sptember for the tournament.

chrispfrisbee
Dec 19 2007, 02:22 PM
Fundraiser Minis for the 2008 USWDGC are in!

http://www.eatsleepdisc.com/spaw/uploads/images/USWOMMINI_1.jpg

Pick one up now for $10 at FrizMart.com (http://www.frizmart.com/pd_us_womens_dgc_mini.cfm) and support the event!

JHBlader86
Dec 19 2007, 09:58 PM
The Athens/Huntsville courses are great, esp. Redstone (one of my fav's) and the RCCG is perhaps one of the most well organized, hard working disc golf clubs I've ever seen. They deserve to hold the major, and I know they will make it one of the best tourney's ever for the women.

CHulsey
Feb 06 2008, 10:49 PM
is there a website up yet?

michellewade
Feb 07 2008, 05:03 PM
I played in Worlds 1993 there and loved it so much I'd like to come back and play again! Also, the people in Alabama are all very nice and hospitable! This would be my first USWDGC though. :D Hope to see all the ladies there!

DeanTannock
Feb 07 2008, 07:03 PM
Hope lots of women show up. Great courses,great people and my wife Ginger is making a boat load of hand made trophies.

michellewade
Feb 13 2008, 08:10 PM
is there a website up yet?

Good question. We'd like to get our flight plans set, etc. Thanks!

par54whereareyo
Feb 14 2008, 04:24 PM
Hope lots of women show up. Great courses,great people and my wife Ginger is making a boat load of hand made trophies.

If you have never seen Ginger's trophies, you are in for a treat. They are a work of art. I am so proud that I was able to win one.

michellewade
Feb 14 2008, 09:08 PM

If you have never seen Ginger's trophies, you are in for a treat. They are a work of art. I am so proud that I was able to win one.

Are they stained glass baskets, round with different colors?

DeanTannock
Feb 15 2008, 09:52 AM
Hand crafted,usually wooded scenes, hand soldered baskets.

michellewade
Feb 15 2008, 03:49 PM
Hand crafted,usually wooded scenes, hand soldered baskets.

Sounds very nice. I probably won't be getting one but they'll be nice to see!

DeanTannock
Feb 18 2008, 06:01 PM
I am sure the wife will have some spare stuff to sell pretty cheap. She doesn't make any money on her crafts,she just loves making them and seeing people appreciate her work.

michellewade
Mar 11 2008, 05:16 PM
I was going with 3 other ladies from So Cal but 2 have bailed out and the other one is now uncertain. If I come by myself it'll be way more expensive. Does anyone want to share a room and rental car with me? I can't make this trip alone or it'll just be too expensive between air fare, car and room. And I can't commit to coming without 100% commitment from others to share expenses.

tpetre
Mar 12 2008, 05:37 PM
I'm looking forward to making this trip. I ordered my mini a few weeks ago and I have to say they are pretty nice, ten dollars well spent. Texas will be in the house and I can't wait to see many faces that we haven't seen in a long time. Dean, please tell Ginger hello for me. Hope all is well in Bama!

DeanTannock
Mar 12 2008, 08:06 PM
I will check with the wife and see if we can put 1-2 people up at our house.

michellewade
Mar 13 2008, 04:40 PM
I will check with the wife and see if we can put 1-2 people up at our house.

That would be awesome! 2 at most from my camp but a good chance I'll be traveling solo.

tree20862
Mar 14 2008, 01:19 AM
I'm making a maiden voyage to Huntsville next week to play the Rocket City Am Open on Saturday, March 22. I plan on spending a few days familiarizing myself with the courses for USWDGC. I went to all 6 USWDGC in Peoria....I look forward to this every September.

I look forward to seeing the new venue and what Southern Hospitality has to offer :)

michellewade
Mar 19 2008, 02:33 PM
Dean, Kathy and I will be taking you up on your generous offer and we are getting set to now make our air flight plans. Is there a web site up yet? We're thinking of flying in early Wed. morning and leaving Sun. night, another red-eye flight.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR OFFER! It's because of you and your wife that we will be able to come to this event and not break the bank!

DeanTannock
Mar 22 2008, 05:09 PM
Here is a website that just went up a couple of days ago. Not
a whole lot on it, but it will be updated.

www.solsticediscsports.com/uswdgc (http://www.solsticediscsports.com/uswdgc)

Also our club website will some info shortly.

www.hsvdiscgolf.com (http://www.hsvdiscgolf.com)

Hope this helps...Deano

Vanessa
Mar 24 2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks Dean and company for the website - its neat to see the schedule and think about the courses. What a great idea to have mixed dubs at Braham Springs to warm things up! (I remember playing there at the first PDGA Worlds that had a women's division in 1983 - it was familiarly known as Falling Bark Park at the time, and it probably still is ... shudder, shudder. Isn't it originally a piece of a tree farm, with all the trees in rows ??). And I fondly remember UAH (though I know we played a different layout), and Tom Monroe's classic utterance -- "It takes skill to get to the luck part". No telling how many times I've used that line over the years !!

DeanTannock
Mar 24 2008, 06:53 PM
You remember it well Vanessa! I heard Brahan Springs was a
memorial forest. I can not confirm that though. UAH has been changed multiple times since last time you played it. It was
on north side of the campus, now it's south side near I565.

tree20862
Apr 12 2008, 12:36 AM

I was honored to earn one of Ginger's trophy's at the Rocket City Am's :) She does do wonderful trophy's :)

I was also honored to play with Ginger....very nice lady and a pretty good golfer, too ;)

michellewade
Jun 13 2008, 03:16 PM
Is the web site up yet since this event is approximately 3 months away?

flutterby
Jun 15 2008, 12:01 PM
I am so excited about the Women's Nats being so close to me! Finally!

This is going to be a superb class act tournament for all the women. Plus Birmingham is one of the cheapest airports in the country to fly into. I sometimes fly to or from Birmingham instead of Atlanta because it's usually hundreds of dollars cheaper.

Do you know of any good babysitters? I'm sure that more, lots more women would be able to come if there were sitters. I think that you don't have to be a licensed childcare giver to watch children for 3 hour periods or less in Ga. Check into this in Alabama as all states have different requirements.

Wooo Hooo WoNats In Alabama!!!!!

looking forward to this Southern Hospitality

will24411
Jun 19 2008, 05:13 AM
Looks like a website right here..
http://www.solsticediscsports.com/uswdgc

michellewade
Jun 19 2008, 02:40 PM
Thank you! Am registering today! :D

chrispfrisbee
Jun 19 2008, 03:43 PM
Is the web site up yet since this event is approximately 3 months away?

Been up since....3/20/2008

PDGA getting the link put on the tournament listing........last week. But thanks for getting it up PDGA!

chrispfrisbee
Jun 19 2008, 03:46 PM
You can also fly directly into Huntsville. Chris & crew are really doing a great job with sponsorships and other prep for this event....You'll be kicking yourself if you choose not to attend!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

No qualification needed.

michellewade
Jun 19 2008, 06:05 PM
My traveling buddy and I bought our tix in April before flight prices went all nutty coo-coo! I just hope they don't cancel our flight! We are very excited! Viewing the slideshow pics brings back fond memories... and helps with visualization now. Thanks to everyone!!!

lesliecharles
Jun 23 2008, 11:37 AM
I'm not sure the actual dates are on the website (or at least they seem difficult to find). Perhaps they could be added to the header area?/msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
(I know they are on the first posting on the forum)

valkhere
Jun 23 2008, 11:42 AM
Fri-Sun, Sep 19-21, 2008

flutterby
Jun 23 2008, 02:06 PM
Do the pros get to play the super long course at Redstone? I've heard it's brutal. I'm so looking forward to a brutal course for a championship! Can't wait. Keep up the good work kids :)

cgkdisc
Jun 23 2008, 05:21 PM
Way to get that rating back into prime time. Congrats! See you two (three?) at Worlds?

michellewade
Jun 25 2008, 09:09 PM
Where's all the ladies? So far it's CA vs. AL ;)
C'mon ladies!

iheartdiscgolf
Jun 30 2008, 04:19 PM
...VS GA and SC!! Me and Karolyn will be there. Can't miss a Women's Nats in my home town! Whooo hooo!!!

I miss all my "chain gangers"!

Court...I sooo vote for long Redstone. It is SWEET!! Lemme know if you want to go over there before the big event. Sarah may be in too!

Peace!

michellewade
Jul 02 2008, 09:15 PM
Would one of you locals please post a link here to the site that has all those really old rocket ships? I can't remember the name of the place but it was super cool. They had the player's dinner there in 1993 Worlds.

JHBlader86
Jul 03 2008, 01:19 AM
Do the pros get to play the super long course at Redstone? I've heard it's brutal. I'm so looking forward to a brutal course for a championship! Can't wait. Keep up the good work kids :)

Even though I live in Bowling Green, Redstone Arsenal is perhaps my favorite course of all time. Think of Kereiakes Park here, but on super steroids, and inject some more steroids into that. I played absolutely horrible at that course, but I had so much fun playing it. Definitely challenges players of ALL skill levels and can be a very unforgiving course.

DeanTannock
Jul 15 2008, 02:22 PM
The US Space and Rocket Center is where we held the dinner and mini contest.

www.spacecamp.com/museum/ (http://www.spacecamp.com/museum/)

suemac
Jul 15 2008, 02:25 PM
C'mon ladies!

I know we've got a big group from Texas heading that way! So, looking forward to another ladies event!

michellewade
Jul 15 2008, 03:46 PM
The US Space and Rocket Center is where we held the dinner and mini contest.

www.spacecamp.com/museum/ (http://www.spacecamp.com/museum/)

Thanks, Dean! First/Last time I was there, it was with Brent Hambrick so that place holds special memories for me. We had a great time dining with Greg Hosfeld too!

bruce_brakel
Jul 17 2008, 05:36 PM
C'mon ladies!

I think you can expect a lot of September pre-reg, a lot of last week pre-reg. Peoria was always like that. There'd be 30 players pre-reged when we were packing the car and then there'd be 60 or 70 at the tournament.

I think I'm driving Diana and Kira to this. We saw the courses at Christmastime. I cannot remember which names went with which courses now, but the one on the military base was a really good course for an essentially flat course.

DeanTannock
Jul 18 2008, 11:59 AM
Redstone Arsenal...Good variety of shots...

tpetre
Jul 25 2008, 09:59 AM
I'm very excited. Just purchased plane tickets for Two Texas women this week. We will be signing up soon.

michellewade
Jul 25 2008, 02:34 PM
The US Masters Championships are a week prior to this event and will be held at beautiful La Mirada course. If anyone is coming to So Cal for this event, I have an extra bedroom and a couch as well. Am kind of close to LAX, Burbank and Long Beach airports.

karenjaskolka
Jul 31 2008, 11:00 AM
Here is some information regarding the 2008 USWDGC in Huntsville, Alabama.

**Register by 9-1-2008 and you'll receive a USWDGC women's cut, dry weave polo shirt!

For More information Contact:

Tournament Director - Chris Jaskolka

[email protected]

or go to

OPEN TO ALL WOMEN - NO INVITATION OR QUALIFICATION REQUIRED.

You must be a current PDGA Member to play in this event.

All Player's Packages include:

Lunch - All 3 days at the course.

Admittance to the Player's Party Friday Night

Event Stamped Mini Marker Disc

Custom USWDCG Golf Towel

McDonalds breakfast coupons.

karenjaskolka
Jul 31 2008, 11:05 AM
Here is a message from Chris Jaskolka, the tournament director. Some of you might not have gotten this email.

Ladies:

Hello from Huntsville, Alabama……the Rocket City! I am writing to you to update/inform you about the all of the great things that will be happening September 19-21 at the USWDGC this year.

As I am sure you know, the tournament is in a new location for the first time in 6 years, and my staff and I have been hard at work to make this years the best ever!

First I want to make sure everyone realizes exactly where Huntsville is…..yes it’s in Alabama, but it’s not as far south as you think! We are in the northernmost part of the state,

only about 10-15 miles from the Tennessee line. Huntsville is about 3 hours from Bowling Green, KY; 6 hours from Indianapolis, IN; 10 hours from Chicago, IL; Tulsa, OK; Orlando, FL;

and Washington DC. For the majority, we are less than a day’s drive away.

Website

The tournament website is hosted by one of our major sponsors, Solstice Disc Sports. It can be found at:

While you are out there, check out the USWDGC discs in the Pro Shop, as well as the wide range of disc products that Solstice has. The website has information on the tourney schedule,

the courses to be played, including detailed maps and pictures of each hole you will be playing. We also have several hotel options, with some camping information to be posted within the week.

If you have any questions that are not answered by the website, please feel free to e-mail or call me (contact information below).

Players Pack

Every woman who signs up before 9/1 will receive a woman’s cut dri-fit shirt. Those registering after that date will receive a women’s cut cotton shirt or other USWDGC merchandise.

Your players pack also includes a USWDGC stamped towel, a custom stamped mini, a breakfast coupon at McDonald’s and other assorted smaller items. I am also happy to announce that we

will be continuing the Peoria tradition of having lunch provided to players at the course as part of your players pack.

Courses

We have some fun and challenging courses for you play. Specific details, distances, maps and pictures of each hole can be found on the website. Briefly described the courses are as follows:

Sparkman Park (in Hartselle, AL) –mix of open and wooded (medium density) holes. Lots of OB with placement at a premium. The most technical of all the courses.

Redstone Arsenal – Requires the most diverse mixture of shots and will test ever aspect of your game. Contains 2 of the longest and most challenging holes in Huntsville.

UAH – Championship course. Longer with lots of OB, including water. Longest course in Huntsville.

Brahan Springs – One of the oldest courses in the world. Third one ever installed. Short and technical.

The courses are in fantastic shape. We will have flags flying on every basket and all the other things you expect at a PDGA Major Event

(painted 10M circles, well defined OB lines, signage with accurate distances, etc)

After the Golfing is Done

We will have the player’s party with a small flymart Friday evening at Brahan Spring Rec Center, which is across the street from Brahan Spring Disc Golf Course.

We will be hold the putting and distance competitions there and setup the disc golf course for glow later that evening. We will even have lights for your discs.

I am finalizing the details on a pool party for late afternoon and evening Saturday. I should have confirmation of the location within the next week or two.

Provided I am able to secure it, after finishing your Saturday rounds at Redstone you can cool off in the pool (its only 5-10 minutes from the course) and kick back with some beer.

I am also working on a group discount at the restaurant across the street.

Payout

We are guaranteeing $4,000 added to the Pro purse! The amateur payout will be very strong as well (typically at Huntsville events its 150-200%)

We have some unique disc golf trophies custom made for the event by Ginger Tannock. Her trophies are highly sought after in our area and are the highlight of the payout to many.

I’ll get some pictures posted on the website soon, but in the interim Google her and I am sure some pictures of her past creations will come up.

This past month has been a busy one. A fundraiser tournament on July 5th raised $350. Our Boston Butt BBQ fundraiser in June netted $1015 for the event.

Two platinum ($500) sponsors committed in June, with 2-3 others on the way. We will have 2 more fundraiser events in August and I will hopefully be confirming a Palladium (1K) level

sponsor within a few weeks, so the added cash will probably rise as the event gets closer….check the website for specific details.

I apologize for not getting this sent out sooner. I had originally intended to send out a monthly newsletter but time has been limited with all of the preparations.

I hope to see you in Huntsville in September.

Chris Jaskolka

2008 USWDGC TD

RCCG Treasurer

For more information visit: http://www.solsticediscsports.com/uswdgc

tree20862
Aug 04 2008, 01:15 AM
I'm waiting to hear from my scheduler when I can be off for USWDGC. Reservations and prereg to follow soon :)

bruce_brakel
Aug 04 2008, 09:19 AM
About the courses, I would add that they all seemed very pleasant to play. I don't remember any thickets of roses, blackberries or other nasty schule like that. If it is hot, you can play in shorts and not get all cut up by the stuff you get into.

tree20862
Aug 04 2008, 11:50 AM
I'm waiting to hear from my scheduler when I can be off for USWDGC. Reservations and prereg to follow soon :)

I'm in and will be pre reging shortly :)

karenjaskolka
Aug 04 2008, 04:03 PM
I believe the only thing you really have to worry about is water and retrieving your disc. There are not any nasty thickets in which you come out with legs bleeding.

valkhere
Aug 08 2008, 05:35 PM
I am very excited to say I have just bought a plane ticket! My plans are to fly into Augusta, GA on Sept 15th. I am hanging with my sister for a couple days in Augusta, then we're heading to Hunstville! I can't afford to register for USWDGC for another couple weeks unless I get some more sponsors come in. I can't wait to see everyone and check out the courses!!! :) :) :)

Nupy
Aug 20 2008, 04:01 PM
Ok. I'm finally pre-registered so any women that were thinking about coming and playing in the Advanced field you can now sign up and be confident that you will not be last!
:p
See everyone in just under a month!!!

thetruthxl
Aug 20 2008, 09:13 PM
you ladies are so lucky!!! I had the distinct pleasure of playing the Huntsville courses a few winters ago and they absolutely rock!!! Hard to get used to the hard-clay ground and super-skips, but if you aim alittle short, you slide right up there! Enjoy your championships!!

DeanTannock
Aug 21 2008, 08:09 AM
Hey Mark,

Thanks for the kind words for Huntsville. I had a blast in Michigan! Thanks for all your help up there.

taydrl
Aug 21 2008, 04:10 PM
Ok. I'm finally pre-registered so any women that were thinking about coming and playing in the Advanced field you can now sign up and be confident that you will not be last!
:p
See everyone in just under a month!!!

OK, LISTEN UP LADIES. I am trying to help here. I am beginning to wonder if the ladies of disc golf really want to promote this sport or just gripe about the low numbers of women players. I have issued a challenge on other threads to help those who want to help themselves. RESULTS, the board went quiet. My wife and I are trying to build a disc golf resort near tulsa, oklahoma. We are not disc golfers but we love the sport and the disc golf community as a whole. We are absolutely putting our money where our mouth is. We have had the honor of having our course played by some very good women players, including Courtney Peavey and Valerie Jenkins. As newcomers to the sport, I do my research by surfing other clubs discussion boards and try to ascertain needs of the sport where we might be able to fill a niche. To that end, we are willing to host an all women's tournament with some substantial added money (depending on the number of entries). All I hear from women is their concern about the lack of competition or female competitors. It is obvious to me that we need to raise the bar for women in this sport. If there is genuine concern for this sport by enough ladies, then we are here to help you, ladies, raise the bar. If it is just a venue for negative comments then, count us out. Any ladies want to do something positive and good for ladies disc golf. The ball is now in your court. Jim Taylor, owner, The Lodge in Pawhuska, Ok. 918-724-3121.

karenjaskolka
Aug 21 2008, 07:45 PM
I agree that there should be more women. I'm lost. What is your plan?

Karen J.

vinnie
Aug 22 2008, 09:38 AM
Texas Womens Championship has a plan and it seems to work :D
Texas will be repersented at the USWDGC and we support the ladies!
If there is anything you want to hash over about women in disc golf, Ed or I would be happy to help out.

SarahD
Aug 22 2008, 09:41 AM
Yes, I'd be interested in hearing specifics as well. I've made a few suggestions over the past year on how to increase the number of women attending events and none have been implemented, except by clubs who did those things already (Big Dogg and the Buck County Disc Club).

I'm facing a dilemma this weekend: head out to a tourney on Sunday in Michigan when there is no pre-reg up? The guys can certainly count on come competition, but will there be other women there? Who knows. If there aren't, could I just play Am2? Not if don't want to exchange my US currency for funny money. What's my other option? Don't go. There's your problem right there.

taydrl
Aug 22 2008, 09:57 AM

Karen J.

Karen, thank you for your reply. First let me say my wife and I are not disc golfers. We used to play frisbee in the park at the U of A thirty some years ago. We got involved with the sport about a year ago through Kevin McKoy who designed two courses on our place here in Oklahoma north of Tulsa.
Right off the bat I saw some things that I thought we could help with, at least on a regional basis. 1) Purse Money. I am truly amazed at how supportive, or enthusiastic this community is to drive such distances to win some plastic. Given today's fuel prices, that is remarkable. 2) Exposure. Had I not stumbled upon the sport in the manner I did, we would still not be aware of how much this sport has grown. 3) Incentive. Most of the women who have played our course are mothers. We have the ability to facilitate children while the mothers compete on the property. So, what's the motivation to make all of these arrangements to go to another state and compete for a small purse or possibly some plastic?
If we could create a women only, disc golf tournament with some really decent added money, provide lodging, meals, childcare everything need is addressed right on the premises, can we expect a good turnout? That is what I need help assessing. I think we could possibly host a tournament with say $5000 added money. If we could get a good turnout of women, with the entry fee money, this could be a pretty good purse. And, lastly, marketing, it is kind of what I do but, I can't market the ladies event if I can't count on their support.
I am going to start a new thread on the Tulsa Disc Sports Association site. I sent out this post to every topic on the discussion board that was either active or seemed appropriate. For sake of convenience, we must pursue this on a common thread so I don't have to continuously try to remember where all to look for feedback. At this point, I am looking for feedback only. However, I must say that, by nature, I am pretty agressive with my projects. Everyone is telling me, yeah, we could possibly do that next year or, it might take a couple of years. I am going to proceed as if we are going to host this event in late fall unless and until it becomes obvious that is not reasonable. Now, what I am looking for at this point is for the ladies to get to work and talk amongst themselves and respond to me so that I can determine a timeline and refine my course of action. :cool:

taydrl
Aug 22 2008, 10:07 AM
Karen, Strike that last move. Let's keep this discussion going on this site, Disc Golf For Women. It seems the most appropriate place and we may attract another woman or two from another thread that I overlooked yesterday. So please, direct everyone response to this site. Thank you.

taydrl
Aug 22 2008, 10:33 AM
Results so far;
8/21/08 Posted this announcement on 35 sites
8/22/08 Kicked off 9 sites Told to go somewhere else on 1
Had no reply from 25 sites
Had 1 reply, KarenJ on Disc Golf For Women

taydrl
Aug 22 2008, 10:44 AM
Texas Womens Championship has a plan and it seems to work :D
Texas will be repersented at the USWDGC and we support the ladies!
If there is anything you want to hash over about women in disc golf, Ed or I would be happy to help out.

Thank you for your reply. I am the first to admit, I do not know my head from a hole in the ground when it comes to disc golf. We just want to be involved and help promote the sport. Being a bit of a rebel, I always align myself with the underdog, in this case, the women. I am really looking for someone to basically help me evaluate the feasibility of this project. My thinking is, if we do this, it will raise awareness of ladies in disc golf, provide a new benchmark for purses at ladies events and hopefully demonstrate the need for more of these events. I consider myself an outsider looking in and I try not to step on any toes as I go. Looking for people such as yourself to advise me as to how to proceed. It is just an idea we had for an event here at the place. If it doesn't pan out then /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif WE TRIED. :D

discette
Aug 22 2008, 11:10 AM
I took the time to give Jim a call. He really is serious about doing something special for the ladies. Please feel free to offer your help or suggestions.

vinnie
Aug 22 2008, 12:05 PM
And then he called me and when it comes to the growth of disc golf we share the same passions. Good feller!
I look forward to working with Jim! And just maybe the ladies will have a central place in the US to crown a champion

taydrl
Aug 22 2008, 12:45 PM
[QUOTE]
Yes, I'd be interested in hearing specifics as well. I've made a few suggestions over the past year on how to increase the number of women attending events and none have been implemented, except by clubs who did those things already (Big Dogg and the Buck County Disc Club).
I'm facing a dilemma this weekend: head out to a tourney on Sunday in Michigan when there is no pre-reg up? The guys can certainly count on come competition, but will there be other women there? Who knows. If there aren't, could I just play Am2? Not if don't want to exchange my US currency for funny money. What's my other option? Don't go. There's your problem right there.

Thank you for your reply. I am getting very excited about this venture. I received a call from Suzette with Innova this morning and she was a little concerned about my initial post. It sounded a little confrontational. I explained to her that was my intention initially. My thoughts in making this post were simply, ok, let's find out right now who the positively motivated women are out there. Do you see the glass as half empty or half full? Judging by the conversations I have had this morning it appears that there are some awfully capable women (and men, Mr. Vinnie Miller) out there who are willing to step up and help move women's disc golf forward. I have mentioned the subject of added money. My thoughts are a flighted tournament with $5000 added cash for the tournament. If that seems like something that would generate some interest then let's start planning. Since I am truly "the new kid on the block" I have just reached the pinnacle of my knowledge. So, perhaps KarenJ or Vinnie or Suzette, you can now help by informing me of how to proceed. I will say this, as Vinnie has mentioned, we are very centrally located within the U.S. As I have traveled to other tournaments I have noticed the things that some venues lack and we are willing to address those needs if this meets with enough support. I don't know if it is possible but I would like to try to schedule an event this year. Here again, this is where I look to people such as Joe Rotan, who by the way, has agreed to run this event. If there is a good date remaining for this year and we can schedule this event, I would like some input on how many would be interested in trying to make it if there is $5000 added money and you play in a flighted tournament with some real assurance of a payday. :cool:

karenjaskolka
Aug 22 2008, 05:30 PM
For the US Women's Championship, Huntsville is adding 4,000 cash and a dry weave shirt in the players pack. Lunch will also be provided at each course.

If you want more women to play, go to the athletic venues around your town. I am a former softball player and a former Ultimate player. Go to the colleges. Go to the schools and start an EDGE program. I think that's the name of the program. Start the kids out early. Forget about the tv/handheld games that only exercise their little fingers. LOL

karenjaskolka
Aug 22 2008, 05:46 PM
Redstone is great! There is one hole that is 800 feet I believe. Another hole in featured as one of the greatest holes of all time. There are open and wooded holes at Redstone. There are some birdie opportunities, more so than UAH. At UAH, You have to contend with a pond on two holes, and a creek on a few holes. It is very very long, and there is not much shade.
I like Redstone, but I have to play UAH a lot. If I don't, I would not like UAH. LOL
Hartselle is a women friendly course. There are some birdie opportunities. There is a creek that you will have to deal with on several holes.
Brahan Springs is a short wooded course. You want to shoot even or down there. They have doubles there, and it is a pretty good score if you shoot double digits down.
Hopefully, this will give you some idea of the courses.

Here is the website for those interested.
www.solsticediscsports.com/uswdgc (http://www.solsticediscsports.com/uswdgc)

The club website is
www.hsvdiscgolf.com (http://www.hsvdiscgolf.com)

Hilltopper
Aug 22 2008, 09:37 PM
Our media blitz has begun! Here's link to the Madison County Register: http://www.madisoncountyrecord.com/articles/2008/08/22/sports/sp1.txt

The same article ran in the Hartselle Enquirer on Thursday, but they don't have the link up yet. Both papers are owned by the same company so the article is the same. It's a little Hartsellecentric though. We wanted them to run an article because this weekend we're running a USWDGC fundraiser with the course in the championship set up.

Josh and Marla Lenox
Hartselle DG Club

Hilltopper
Aug 22 2008, 09:46 PM
One more incentive: the Hartselle Disc Golf Club will be giving away 18(!) pounds of fudge from the Hartselle Fudge Shop in some unusual way of my devising on Friday as well as having CTP's on every hole the first round.

Some props to our out of town sponsors:
Tim Kieth
Disc Golf Birmingham (DGB)
Dean and Ginger Tannock
Jeff, Judy, and Sam Haydel
Chris and Karen Jaskolka
Viktor Holmberg
Solstice Disc Golf

Josh and Marla

chrispfrisbee
Aug 23 2008, 12:25 AM
I think we could possibly host a tournament with say $5000 added money.

If you do it......they will come!

karenjaskolka
Aug 23 2008, 12:31 AM
Is this heaven?

chrispfrisbee
Aug 23 2008, 12:34 AM
No.....it's Oklahoma.....but this year it's Alabama!

karenjaskolka
Aug 23 2008, 12:50 AM
Roll Tide!!!!!

Everybody should have a GREAT time! It will be nice seeing everybody again!

SarahD
Aug 23 2008, 11:18 AM
Well, here are my thoughts as a pro woman from Michigan looking at a tourney in Oklahoma and deciding whether to grace it with my attendence or not:

I would look at the economics of travelling to a tourney that's going to involve a plane ticket: Travelocity says it would cost me about $350 to get there. Add in accomodations, food, etc and I would want to see that I could reasonably expect to win $500 based on my rating in comparison to my competitors'.

So if there was $5000 added cash plus entry fees and you got 20 women at $75 a pop, then you'd have a purse of $6500. If I was going to make the leap and buy the plane ticket and take work off, then I'd want to see projected payouts. If the top 7 rated girls in DG were all pre-regged and you posted that you are going to pay 7 out of 20, I would probably not attend. If you were going to pay 10 of 20 with the last 3 payouts being under $200, I would probably not attend.

If the projected payouts and the pre-regged women show that if I play around my rating average, I could reasonably win the $500 that I aim for, then I would definitely attend. However, tourneys that require plane ticket purchases are high-risk tournies in my mind because you have to buy them far in advance to get decent prices, and if the pre-reg takes a nasty turn (say, the Top 7 all pre-reg and 7 local women with lower ratings all drop out) and my REC falls (reasonable expectation of cash), then attending a tourney such as that would become unattractive.

Yes, the passion you see for people to travel long distances and spend a lot of money to earn plastic is strangely impressive, but economically .....dumb. I was economically dumb all last year, playing 43 tournies no matter the travel cost, the field, the projected payout, whatever. I just wanted to be the chick that played more tournies in one year than any other, but after doing my taxes and seeing my expenses I realized how financially destructive disc golf can be.

So, Jim, long speeches about the right attitude and cup half empty and all that aside, you will draw more women if you are able to pay more money deeper into the field. You will get the Top 7 no matter what if there is exceptional money involved because they know they will win the lion's share of it. If you want a big field, you have to let the other women know they do not have to expect to be donators or even take a big hit in travel costs vs. payout.

disclaimer: other women on this thread have said my attitudes toward planning and money are not representative of the overall female population. They have indicated that they play for the love of the sport and meeting people and the overall atmosphere.

With this in mind, perhaps if you stock the lodge with a bunch of free-roaming bunny rabbits, free sushi on every hole and put together a sorority chant we can all sing before the tourney starts, you'll get a ton of women committed to coming to your tourney.

taydrl
Aug 23 2008, 12:48 PM
Here are my observations of Disc Golf as a newcomer to this sport. Disc Golfers as a rule do play for the love of the game. The payday is not the overwhelming determining factor that determines travel - distances - expense - time, etc.
This is very admirable in my books. It speaks of fellowship, comraderie, friendship and disc golf is the vehicle that foster all of the positive things. My motivation for getting involved with ladies disc golf was simply to create a venue whereby those that are able to attend would be handsomely rewarded for their effort. I believe a flighted tournament whereby women of equal skills participate against each other is the only way to go. I would not want a player who realizes that to come to this tournament and have to compete against the Des Readings or Valerie Jenkins would almost certainly assure them of going home without a paycheck. I want to host a tourney where Des, Val, Courtney, Burl and all of the other pro women of that stature can come, vie for a very respectable purse, enjoy the food, lodging and atmosphere of our facilities and want to come back. I also want this tournament flighted in such a way that all pro women have a reasonable chance of earning a very respectable paycheck. Travel expenses I have no control over but, when it comes to food, our son is a wonderful chef who can do things with a steak you wouldn't think possible. For those of you who are not meat eaters, we have celery. Typically at our tournaments we have camping facilities on site, food on site and if all you want is sustenance we always have a pretty nice $5 breakfast, $5 lunch and $6.50 dinner. From that we can go all the way up to kobe beef and fine wine. For those of you who know Courtney Peavey and Kevin McKoy, this is the house that Kevin built. We have pictures of Courtney and Kevin running bulldozers and trackhoes actually performing the dirt work on this place. We will honor Kevin at our Twisted Flyer Open this year with a plaque to recognize his efforts in helping us build this facility. As a businessman looking at this sport, I see tremendous opportunity to help take this sport, particularly the purse money, to the next level. I think anyone who has ever attended one of our tournaments can tell you we are not in it for the money. Before deciding to do this, I called our kids and asked each one of them if they ever wanted to move home and run cattle or anything like that. They all said no. Our oldest, Jim (he and his wife are veternarians in Vienna, Va.) asked me if my plans were to bust it up and sell it off. I told him no, I just wanted to "do something" that would hopefully bring other people as much joy as this land has brought us. I got on the computer and re-discovered disc golf. WOW, has it changed since Deb and I used to play frisbee football at Randolph park in Tucson thirty some years ago. Then I made a call to Tulsa Disc Sports Association (these guys are the BEST), a guy there told me since I was wanting to build a course I should get hold of a guy named Kevin McKoy, the rest is history. I am looking for help in structuring this event. That is why I put it out there initially the way I did. I figured by the way ladies received that initial post and the manner in which they replied, I could probably figure out their personality and be able to choose who I would like to reach out to. For those of you who are familiar with Mr. Vinnie Miller, he has graciously volunteered to help us with this endeavor. He runs the Texas Women's Championship and we will be traveling to Texas soon to meet with him. My needs right now are to continue to get feedback, such as SuccuBUZZ, as to what concerns determine a players decision to attend or not. About a month or two ago on the Tulsa Disc Sports Association we started a topic on a Team Event here at the lodge. Early on the discussion became complicated and it was even suggested once that we suspend the thread. Fortunately there were those on the board that are seasoned businessmen such as myself who chose to simply continue to work it out. Now we will be hosting this event on November 8th. This event would not have happened had the disc golfers a. not wanted it and, b. not been willing to simply continue to hash it out till we had a plan. Sometimes when my business seems to be a little overwhelming I wish I had a discussion board to seek this kind of advice. So, anyhow, in an effort to help the ladies of disc golf we thought a tournament like this would help set a higher standard for purses in women's disc golf. Things that we know that we can offer right now are, Childcare, right here on the premises, very safe. Camping, for those of you who don't mind not sleeping in a motel room, Shower facilities are available. Food, as mentioned above, you can get anything from a hot dog to a kobe steak. Essentially once you get here, you don't have to travel anywhere else for anything for the duration of your stay. However, we do take guests on tours of the area. Featured stops are the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve, a 50,000 acre drive thru wildlife preserve where you often have to come to a complete stop while bufflo cross the road. Woolaroc, just south of Bartlesville, Oklahoma. This is the ranch that Frank Phillips, founder of Phillips Petroleum, built and it has amazing displays from all over the world in a huge museum, lots of exotic animals, etc. Casino's, The Osage Million Dollar Elm Casino is just minutes away and on Friday nites the buffet crablegs, shrimp, tilapia, lots of good seafood. So, what do you think ladies, can you help us get this going?

SarahD
Aug 23 2008, 02:35 PM
Man, your place sounds so awesome......if I was within 5 hours, I'd be at every event you host!

Lala
Aug 23 2008, 02:37 PM

Karen J.

At this point, I am looking for feedback only. However, I must say that, by nature, I am pretty agressive with my projects. Everyone is telling me, yeah, we could possibly do that next year or, it might take a couple of years. I am going to proceed as if we are going to host this event in late fall unless and until it becomes obvious that is not reasonable. Now, what I am looking for at this point is for the ladies to get to work and talk amongst themselves and respond to me so that I can determine a timeline and refine my course of action. :cool:

Here's one issue - Ladies are planners for the most part. I've know almost all year every event I'm playing, in Texas or traveling to (especially those that require travel). For the most part, we're not made of time or money - even with the incentive of a boatload of added cash, really, there's bills to be paid, & a job that requires most of us to be there in order to get paid. For most of us, disc golf just isn't a full time job. I'm sure not trying to sound discouraging, just saying that next October or November would be a more reasonable goal if you really want to try & get the ladies out. TWC has been around for 4 years & we have a crap load of Texas lady disc golfers & we still only pull around 70 ladies in - added cash & merch, huge players packs, hot escorts, ladies stations, players parties, free lunches, all the fluff a girl could want. You have to start grass roots - word of mouth, putting flyers into ladies hands when you're on the course - MONTHS ahead of time. Getting flyers out to other ladies all over the country to get into ladies hands when they're on the course (again WAY ahead of time) I'm just sayin, ladies are planners & want details & info way before men. I'd come to OK & do my best to bring Texas ladies up, but with some just coming back from Worlds, many playing the Vibram, & a ton of us going to USWDGC it's tight. Plus we have atleast a B tier dam near every weekend here in the Fall (Octoberfest, Big Arms, Waterloo, McClain Open, Vetrans, HOTT finals, Texas Teams, Thanksgiving, Piney Woods; so it's tough to get us out of Texas in the Fall - although, that's about the only time you could talk me into OK. :) Just my thoughts, hope you were really lookin' for feed back, cause I aint shy. :)

Lala
Aug 23 2008, 02:40 PM
What I really came to post before I started reading was this. http://www.alapark.com/MonteSano/Camping/ looks really pretty & could be a blast to get a large group of us together camping. Water & electric @ site with showers in the campground.

We'll be having lunch together after Sat am round in a month WOO HOO ladies, let's get it on!!

taydrl
Aug 23 2008, 05:24 PM
Lala, that is exactly what I am looking for feedback. But, not just feedback the advice you offer is very important. Actually, the way I like to work is this. Tell me what the ladies would really like to see at an event like this and I will try my very best to make it happen. Ok, so it is going to take a year to work this event in, that's fine. I understand scheduling, budgeting, planning. Now, assuming we are going to do this, that gives me a year to continue to improve the grounds, especially the second course, build a motel or dormitory, finish the lodge and be absolutely prepared for this event. I would like to assemble a team of ladies to consult with me during this period of time so that we can be as prepared as possible, starting with a date. Who should be the one to set the date?

taydrl
Aug 23 2008, 05:35 PM
OK. Here's another one. Where do I look to study the calendar of tournaments for WOMEN? I am sure this site must exist but I can't find it. Then again, my wife says I can't find socks in my sock drawer. :D

taydrl
Aug 23 2008, 05:37 PM
Man, your place sounds so awesome......if I was within 5 hours, I'd be at every event you host!

Do you fly? I have a private strip on the property. 2600' grass, :cool:

Lala
Aug 23 2008, 05:42 PM
You've got some great ladies in your area Nelle & Courtney know exactly what it takes to get us out - Nelle started the Ladies of Live Oak when she was in CenTex & has always been a strong women, not afraid to voice her opinion. PJ from Team Justice here in Texas is strong & willing to tell you how it is too, I'm always happy to provide you with input too. As far as the date, I'd look at the weather in OK 1st & foremost, I know you can't predict it, but you know we aint playing in 100+ or butt cold, that's just the way it is if you're looking to get 90+ ladies out. 2ndly look at long standing event schedules that have historicly had large ladies turn outs - you don't want to try & go head to head against history. Then talk with your state coordinator & get the date on the PDGA calendar as soon as possible. The sooner we have dates, the sooner we can start talking & makin plans for a road trip. A lodge/dorm idea with 2 rooms sharing each bath & a central kitchen & living area/game room with laundry facilities would be ideal (you asked :) ) - we had one in San Saba & man it was a dream, but it was way off in the sticks & made it a challenge to keep open :(. Love the ideas - let's grow this sport!!!

taydrl
Aug 23 2008, 05:46 PM
Hey, you know what would be really cool? If we have this next fall and I have a pretty good year and am able to get the motel/dormitory built, for the beginning of the tournament, say on friday nite, I could fly in from the coast with a load of fresh lobster, land and taxi to the lodge, unload the fresh lobster, Jeremy could serve up a meal that would certainly be worth the extra effort to come to this event, and this meal would be on the lodge. Now where you gonna get that kind of service anywhere else? :cool:

taydrl
Aug 23 2008, 05:49 PM
Lala, you're talking my language now. I am not seeking input from those who would tell me what I want to hear, I am seeking advice from those such as yourself who can tell me what I need to hear. Keep it coming. :cool:

Hilltopper
Aug 23 2008, 09:56 PM
We raised around $400 today at a fundraiser in Hartselle!

Leslie Easterling won open women with scores of 57 and 58. I think a good score at the USWDGC will be between 50 and 54.

Josh

ladydiscer
Aug 23 2008, 11:53 PM
Hey, you know what would be really cool? If we have this next fall and I have a pretty good year and am able to get the motel/dormitory built, for the beginning of the tournament, say on friday nite, I could fly in from the coast with a load of fresh lobster, land and taxi to the lodge, unload the fresh lobster, Jeremy could serve up a meal that would certainly be worth the extra effort to come to this event, and this meal would be on the lodge. Now where you gonna get that kind of service anywhere else? :cool:

:eek: :D

WOW! Now that would be service! Are you for real? You are planning on doing all this? Count me in for sure! with everything right there in one location it makes it alot easier. With everything you have thought/said you want to do to make this happen, it sounds like a dream. Someone else you might want to contact is Oldman Wallis of the Peoria Frisbee Club 309-676-8561. He and his wife ran the USWDGC for the last 6 years and did a great job at it. They have been around a long time and have lots of experience and input and have been on staff at many major tournaments, including being a part of worlds this year and they will be in huntsville and at USDGC. In any case I am very interested in your possible future event and I'm sure if you can make it happen, a bunch of us will do our best to make it. Best advice I can give is get a date set and advertise like crazy! Sounds like it might be a couple years off though if you are still building. Good luck! :)

justice
Aug 24 2008, 12:14 AM
Sounds like there are some big plans for women discers in 2009!

JT - like Lala said....I would be happy to do what I can when it comes to the growth of disc golf. Especially when it involves growing the women's fields at events.
However, we do need a separate thread to discuss all the possibilities.

This thread should be reserved for the awesomeness of the USWDGC :)

After over 12 years of playing (& NOT playing while having 2 beautiful kids) I'm finally going!

USWDGC OR BUST!

Come on ladies.....stop lurking & let's release some excitement about it on this board!

Alabama...........here we come!

Lala
Aug 24 2008, 11:54 AM

Leslie Easterling won open women with scores of 57 and 58. I think a good score at the USWDGC will be between 50 and 54.

Josh

Great job Josh LOVE added cash!! Been looking around online for some course photos & haven't found much that was real useful. Any links to direct us out of state ladies to?

PJ I agree the lodge needs it's own thread, but really - where else do you see many if any women lurking or posting? & you know, if it's not on the front page, not many people are gonna dig for the info. Besides, we're ladies, god knows wee can multi task & carry on atleast 2 conversations @ once. :) Sounds like e mailing would be the next step - lodge shoot me an e mail @ [email protected] & we can start an e mail discussion group with our contacts. Now that should start some chatter. :)

taydrl
Aug 24 2008, 02:19 PM
[email protected]

Hilltopper
Aug 24 2008, 06:58 PM
Great job Josh LOVE added cash!! Been looking around online for some course photos & haven't found much that was real useful. Any links to direct us out of state ladies to?

Have you been to this page: http://www.solsticediscsports.com/holes

The Sparkman Park pictures were taken when we were still in the process of installing our brand new 5x10 foot tee pads. If you need any more info just ask.

BTW I think the added cash will be over $4000 to this event. Huntsville's goal is to have the highest women's payout in history.

Josh

Hilltopper
Aug 24 2008, 07:04 PM
Oh, for more info on the holes, if you click on the "info on" tab when you start the slide show, it will give you a written description of the holes.

Josh

Lala
Aug 24 2008, 09:44 PM

Have you been to this page: http://www.solsticediscsports.com/holes

The Sparkman Park pictures were taken when we were still in the process of installing our brand new 5x10 foot tee pads. If you need any more info just ask.

BTW I think the added cash will be over $4000 to this event. Huntsville's goal is to have the highest women's payout in history.

Josh

Great pics - thanx.

Funny someone would talk w/me about concrete tee pad installation. :D

karenjaskolka
Aug 25 2008, 09:38 AM
We played in Hartselle Saturday. Excellent tournament!!!!! The course is looking fantastic, Josh. Thank you for all your efforts in helping out with the USWDGC! It will be a great tournament in September!

karenjaskolka
Aug 25 2008, 09:42 AM

Josh

You definitely want to shoot even at Hartselle. There are birdie opportunities!

DeanTannock
Aug 25 2008, 09:45 AM
It looks like 33 women have signed up so far. Lets keep it going ladies!

Lala
Aug 25 2008, 05:40 PM
1 week left to sign up & get your ladies cut dry fit shirt!! :)

karenjaskolka
Aug 25 2008, 06:07 PM

I believe that may be a first for the Women's National Championships.

michellewade
Aug 25 2008, 09:33 PM
It looks like 33 women have signed up so far. Lets keep it going ladies!

Dean, in viewing youtube clips from Worlds, I noticed some with videos of Ginger's trophies but she was not given any credit. I've hit up a few telling the peeps they were made by your wife but you might want to search for more for ones I may have missed! Gawd, I really want one of those!! :D

DeanTannock
Aug 26 2008, 08:04 AM
They ate those up like hotcakes at the flymart. She is working on some goodies for you gals. Climo,Feldberg,Jenkins and others bought from the "Ginger" table that night. In fact Jim Oates is ordering 4 of Gingers jewelry boxes for family since I had sold out of them.

chrisjaskolka
Aug 26 2008, 02:52 PM
Ladies,

Sorry I have not been on these forums....I have had Karen post what info I needed to get out. Took a while to remember my username and I still had to get my password reset! So yes, I don't post out here a lot.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I updated the online signup and we are up to 44 ladies attending!

Please check our website at USWDGC (http://www.solsticediscsports.com/uswdgc) for the latest news and annoucements on the event.

michellewade
Aug 26 2008, 03:08 PM
They ate those up like hotcakes at the flymart. She is working on some goodies for you gals. Climo,Feldberg,Jenkins and others bought from the "Ginger" table that night. In fact Jim Oates is ordering 4 of Gingers jewelry boxes for family since I had sold out of them.

Well, if I don't win something she's created, I will surely step up myself and purchase one. It'll look lovely on my new shelf!

I hope you can find all the spots they're mentioned and give her shout outs. I'll continue to do same as I browse through the youtube videos.

karenjaskolka
Aug 26 2008, 04:42 PM
I consider myself really lucky to live in the South and have some Ginger trophies. Those trophies are wonderful!!!! It is bad to lose. When you lose and don't get a Ginger trophy, it is quite disappointing.

Karen J.

chrisjaskolka
Aug 27 2008, 11:31 AM
Ladies,

If you wish to mail in your entries make your check out to Rocket City Chain Gang and mail to:

100 Holly Oak Lane
Huntsville, AL 35811

Chris J

tree20862
Aug 29 2008, 05:14 AM

I signed up.....I'm making reservations :) I'm looking forward to USWDGC!!!!

Lala
Aug 29 2008, 01:37 PM
11 Texas women & counting - Texas knows how to support the ladies!! 3 weeks from now we'll be finishing our 1st round

Woo Hoo!!

Nupy
Sep 04 2008, 10:32 AM
Just curious, with tournament rounds taking place at Redstone, which is on a military base, will we need to have our names and those of anyone accompanying us on a list prior to the tournament to get on the base? I know in previous tournaments I have played there that was the case.

Thank you.

valkhere
Sep 04 2008, 11:22 AM
Can anyone please tell me if these courses are cart friendly?

Nupy
Sep 04 2008, 12:30 PM
From my recollection all of the courses are cart friendly. There MIGHT be a spot or two where you would need some assistance to get over a ditch or up an incline, but to be honest I can't think of any.

Emily_L
Sep 04 2008, 01:18 PM
Will we be able get access and play the Redstone course before the tournament? Like Thursday afternoon?

Lala
Sep 04 2008, 02:30 PM
When U get in E? We're comin' in Wed afternoon & would be up for some fun Thursday. :)

discette
Sep 04 2008, 03:14 PM
Will we be able get access and play the Redstone course before the tournament? Like Thursday afternoon?

Please let us know if and when we can practice this course.

Emily_L
Sep 04 2008, 03:19 PM
I fly in at noon Thursday Lala and was looking to check out the courses. Lemme know.

justice
Sep 04 2008, 03:21 PM

Please let us know if and when we can practice this course.

Yes, please....looks several of us would like to know.

Lala
Sep 04 2008, 04:27 PM
I fly in at noon Thursday Lala and was looking to check out the courses. Lemme know.

Cool we'll def get together for a round or 2 & some CFO's for sure!! :)

karenjaskolka
Sep 04 2008, 08:23 PM
I believe Chris is going to set up times to escort the women onto the military base. I'm not sure about the days. We'll let you know.
By the way, the courses are cart friendly.

Hilltopper
Sep 04 2008, 10:20 PM
I will be at Hartselle Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday at 5 PM if anyone wants a local tour. Marla may be there too, but slightly later. Thursday we may be busy with registration.

If Chris J can't work out a list, Marla can get a carload of girls onto Redstone Wednesday after work.

Josh

Nupy
Sep 05 2008, 10:19 AM
But what about those of us traveling with husbands, caddies, the usual entourage.... do those people's names need to be on a list of some kind for Redstone access?

karenjaskolka
Sep 05 2008, 10:27 AM
Here is the information regarding the practice schedule and Redstone access.

URGENT MESSAGE! - If you are bringing a non playing guest(s) with you to the event, that needs access to the Redstone Arsenal (Rounds 3&4) email TD, Chris Jaskolka immediately @ [email protected]

Access to Redstone Arsenal is restricted, it is an active military base. TD must escort all players on base for practice rounds. Photo ID for everyone in vehicle, proof of registration & insurance required. Your vehicle will be searched - no firearms, knives, or other illegal items allowed.

Practice Schedule
WEDNESDAY - 3:00 PM
THURSDAY - 8:00 AM
THURSDAY - 1:00 PM
THURSDAY - 4:00 PM
Meet TD at these times at Brahan Springs to convoy on base.
Be on time!

If arriving before Wednesday, contact Chris for practice arrangements.

valkhere
Sep 05 2008, 01:51 PM
By the way, the courses are cart friendly.

Thanks! Can't wait to see everyone in Huntsville!

Hilltopper
Sep 05 2008, 10:40 PM
I think we might be able to sneak Sam on. I'll hide him in my mini pocket.

Lala
Sep 09 2008, 10:28 AM
Great news - after much panic (what a dork), I have found my wallet & most importantly, my ID :D. Now I don't have to hide in my own trunk to get on base. :confused: :) Any guesses on where I found it?

vinnie
Sep 09 2008, 11:02 AM
golf bag!

DeanTannock
Sep 09 2008, 01:56 PM
Trunk?

Lala
Sep 10 2008, 11:02 AM
Both good guesses - wasn't in the bag - but it's very clean right now :) I don't have a trunk, but is was in my car. Finally found it in the 1st place I looked (about 30 times) in my armrest under a bank deposit. What a freak, I have torn apart all 3 of my desks, my home office, my golf bag, & my car - the entire time it was literally the 1st place I had looked. :confused: :confused:

vinnie
Sep 10 2008, 11:19 AM
Duh!:)

bruce_brakel
Sep 10 2008, 05:27 PM
Just a reminder: registration closes tonight at midnight.

Lala
Sep 11 2008, 09:52 AM
I'm signed up, so it doesn't affect me, but it seems kinda silly to shut down a ladies tournament a week early when it's no where near full. Monday is payday for a lot of people & it'd be nice to keep it up at least until then. I know this is a major, butr I'd keep it open til it were "full" even if I were takin' sign up Thursday night & friday am. What would be the worst that could happen? Just courious & just my opinion.

karenjaskolka
Sep 11 2008, 11:39 AM
I don't think it really makes a difference. I believe that there were just a few that were on the fence. Most players have already made the plans and have signed up by the deadline.

There is some good news if you still want to sign up. They are extending the deadline to September 14th at midnight. The bad news is that you will not be able to get a shirt. Check the website for details.

Chris has to turn in all of the names EARLY for Redstone access because it is an active military base. There is no way that he can have late registration.

Hilltopper
Sep 11 2008, 10:27 PM
Hartselle Update:
We will be painting the OB's on Wednesday AM. For those of you who have played Hartselle before, the OB's will be slightly extended. For those of you who haven't played Hartselle, there are OB's and Mandos in play on every hole but one. Here's an informal break down by hole.

Hole 1: (long position) Left Mando, retee if missed. On or over walking path (the ob will be short of all walking paths for the tournament).

Hole 2: On or over the walking path.

Hole 3: (short position) In or over the creek. On or over walking path.

Hole 4: No OB (unless you throw in the creek by 5)

Hole 5: In creek. On or over walking path. Please note that the rough on either side of the creek will be OB. The rough to the left will also be OB.

Hole 6: (long position) On or over walking path/paved surfaces.

Hole 7: (long position) Left Mando, retee. On or over walking path.

Hole 8: (long position) On or over the walking path.

Hole 9: (long position) Left Mando, retee. On or over paved surfaces.

Hole 10: (short position) Left Mando, retee. On or over the walking path.

Hole 11: (Long tee, long position) In the creek. On or over the walking path/road.

Hole 12: (Short tee, LONG position) In or over the creek. In the playground. On or across paved surfaces. (The bridge will behind the OB line.)

Hole 13: (long position) In or over the creek. On or across walking path.

Hole 14: (long position) In or over the creek.

Hole 15: (long position) On or over the walking path.

Hole 16: In the baseball field. The semipaved road to the left is NOT OB.

Hole 17: The rough to the left will be OB. (It's a swamp.)

Hole 18: The baseball field and the road are OB.

It seems like a lot, but it's really pretty self explanatory. We just want to make sure EVERYTHING is listed as well as possible. All mandos are safety related, they prevent you from throwing over the walking paths, pavilions, and picnic tables. The rough OB's are flow of play things. It shouldn't come into play on 17 at all. On 5, it's a speed of play thing. The creek OB will be painted to avoid any in/out questions.

Make sure you watch the tee signs. After 3, you will cross a bridge and take a right through a gap in some trees. Watch the tee signs so you don't miss 4 and 5 by walking on to 6's tee. After 15, you must cross the parking lot and walk behind the baseball fields to get to 16. 18 is the hole visible from the road by the willow trees. Walk past the EMPLOYEES ONLY SIGN. During the event, we'll walk you through it.

Josh

tree20862
Sep 11 2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the thorough explanation.

Will there be a players book with OB's listed for each course? I really liked the players book from the last tourney I played that was TD'd by Chris K.

Thank you for all your hard work :)

Tree

karenjaskolka
Sep 12 2008, 11:22 AM
There will be a program. I believe all of the OB's and other information will be in there.

Karen J.

Hilltopper
Sep 12 2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the thorough explanation.

Will there be a players book with OB's listed for each course? I really liked the players book from the last tourney I played that was TD'd by Chris K.

Thank you for all your hard work :)

Tree

Yep! I've seen the program. There will be OB's listed for every hole in the event. I just thought folks might want to know about Hartselle before the event since most of the OB will be there.

Hartselle additionally will put out a CTP guide on Friday. It will list all of the CTP's and Closest to the Turkeys/Pumpkins available for the entire day.

Josh

Hilltopper
Sep 12 2008, 11:54 PM
Oh, and one of our sponsors, Encore Rehabilitation, will be providing an Athletic Trainer on Friday during lunch. If you have any injuries and need a free looksie loo from somebody who knows what they're talking about, look them up at lunch.

Josh

Nupy
Sep 15 2008, 11:35 AM
Gee, Josh, I didn't know you had interns at your disposal you could abuse. :D How cool is that. Do poopy diapers count as a treatable injury? :D

Hilltopper
Sep 15 2008, 02:27 PM
Gee, Josh, I didn't know you had interns at your disposal you could abuse. :D How cool is that. Do poopy diapers count as a treatable injury? :D

I often have "interns" at my disposal. 2 of our highschool volunteers will be braving the creek and retrieving discs. I don't know if you would want them changing Sam's diaper though.

We'll put Marla on poopy diaper duty all weekend.

Josh

Nupy
Sep 15 2008, 03:31 PM
SWEET!

karenjaskolka
Sep 15 2008, 04:18 PM
You are getting lucky with the weather. The forecast temperature is low to mid 80's for this week. It is usually warmer. They are predicting no rain. YES!!!!!!!!

Karen

Nupy
Sep 15 2008, 04:59 PM
No rain.

No poopy diapers to change (thanks Marla).

Now all I need is someone to putt for me and I'm in Heaven!

michellewade
Sep 15 2008, 08:31 PM
You are getting lucky with the weather. The forecast temperature is low to mid 80's for this week. It is usually warmer. They are predicting no rain. YES!!!!!!!!

Karen

Am still debating on whether or not to pack an umbrella...

Hilltopper
Sep 16 2008, 12:01 AM
Quick course update! It has rained for a week straight. All the courses are a little wet. The forecast for the rest of the week is for dry weather. They should be dry by Friday, with the possible exception of holes 4 and 5 at Hartselle.

UAH is having a cross country event tommorrow and will unfortunately be unplayable for most of 09/16/08. The RCCG reserved the course all week a year ago, but the university bumped us tommorrow. Everything should be back in order by Wednesday.

I'll be at Hartselle tommorrow at 5 pm (I'll be the guy picking up trash or other course maintenance, if anyone needs a guide. They will be mowing the course during the day, but it remain open. Just dodge the mowers, they don't like getting hit.

Josh

tree20862
Sep 16 2008, 01:57 AM
thanks for the update....I was wondering if you had as much rain as other parts of the country.

suemac
Sep 16 2008, 10:38 AM
Everybody be safe and see ya'll there.

karenjaskolka
Sep 16 2008, 11:28 AM
I would pack an umbrella just in case.

Karen J.

iheartdiscgolf
Sep 16 2008, 12:47 PM
Josh,
Me, Kathy, Liz and Lisa are coming out to Hartselle after Redstone on Thursday. Should be there around noon if y'all can join us. Can't wait to see you and Marla!...and everyone for that matter. : )

Karen, the superstar for WHNT 19!! : ) Whoo hoo. See you tomorrow!

I'll ditto Sue Mac! Drive safely.

Peace,
Addie

michellewade
Sep 16 2008, 08:27 PM
Will we be required to wear collared shirts all 3 days? i.e., is there a dress code?

DeanTannock
Sep 16 2008, 09:26 PM
I think the womens dress code is slightly different than ours. I think you can even wear a sleveless shirt if it is a dri-fit type.

Chris J can verify...

michellewade
Sep 16 2008, 09:28 PM
I think the womens dress code is slightly different than ours. I think you can even wear a sleveless shirt if it is a dri-fit type.

Chris J can verify...

Cool b/c I just got 2 of those shirts. :D

Hilltopper
Sep 16 2008, 10:32 PM
Josh,
Me, Kathy, Liz and Lisa are coming out to Hartselle after Redstone on Thursday. Should be there around noon if y'all can join us. Can't wait to see you and Marla!...and everyone for that matter. : )

Peace,
Addie

I'll be there. My last patient is at 11, so I may be a little late though.

Josh

chrispfrisbee
Sep 16 2008, 10:43 PM

Chris J can verify...

C. The following dress code for all competitors will be
enforced at all PDGA National Tour and Major Events. The
PDGA also recommends that this dress code be enforced
at Super Tour and lower tier events, but this decision lies
solely with the Tournament Director:
(1) All players in PDGA sanctioned competition and
tournament staff are expected to dress appropriately
and to maintain a clean and well-groomed appearance
at all event sites and associated functions.
(2) All players must wear a shirt covering their upper
chest area. A well-tailored shirt with a fold-down,
mock turtle, v-neck, crew neck, Henley, or zippered
collar, and with sleeves covering the part of the arm
from the shoulder to the elbow (commonly known as
the upper arm), shall be considered acceptable.
Women are also allowed to wear sleeveless shirts as
designated above.
(3) No tee shirts will be allowed, except for competitors in
the Junior and Amateur divisions during preliminary
rounds only. Juniors and Amateurs shall not wear tee
shirts during semifinal or final rounds. Crew neck or
V-neck shirts made of high-performance or high-tech
materials, such as Dry-Fit, Cool-Max, and others will
be allowed.
(4) Shirts that hang down lower than the bottom hemline
on the player�s shorts shall be tucked in.
(5) No ripped shirts, shorts, pants will be allowed on the
course. This includes unhemmed, torn or cut �vents�
at the shirt collar.
(6) No offensive, profane, or obscene slogans or logos
shall be allowed on any clothing. Junior players may
not wear slogans or logos referring to alcohol or
tobacco.
(7) This dress code will be in effect from start to finish at
each event, including all tournament rounds.
(8) Players who do not make a cut, but wish to remain on
site through the duration of the tournament, will be
considered spectators and will not be required to
conform to the Tour�s dress code.

karenjaskolka
Sep 17 2008, 09:32 AM
Chris, you mean we can't wear out tie dye with the sleeves cut out? Just teasing, I don't have one. Hey.....I'll be wearing my Alabama shirt. Hopefully, they will do good this weekend!

Karen

Hilltopper
Sep 17 2008, 01:33 PM
Hartselle is up and ready! All the ob's are flagged and the 10 meter circles are painted. The city is still working on finishing mowing and has been sodding around a couple of the tee pads.

For those of you who have played Hartselle, watch out, the ob's are much tighter. We came in about 5 feet off the walking path for the OB's. 3 and 12's fairways are much tighter, as we painted the ob line not at the creek, but on the ledge above the creek.

Get ready, there's going to be a lot of circles.

Josh

Nupy
Sep 17 2008, 02:14 PM
Geez, Josh! And to think I was considering bringing my "Queen of OB" statue that I won at an Ice Bowl there thinking I could relinquish my title. Sounds like I'd better dust of the sash and tiara because I'll be reigning again. :p

michellewade
Sep 17 2008, 04:05 PM
Judy, that's funny! I picked up about 10 OB strokes per round last weekend so maybe I might take it from you! ;)

Deano - I sent you an email. Looks like we're landing at 11:30 am tomorrow morning! :D

Hilltopper
Sep 17 2008, 10:53 PM
All the courses are in tournament shape! We have completed the OB markings and the 10 meter circles. See yall at Hartselle.

Josh

Hilltopper
Sep 18 2008, 10:14 AM
Here is an article in the Decatur Daily (the daily newspaper that covers the Hartselle area). You may not be able to read the whole article.

http://decaturdaily.com/stories/18619.html

Josh

orotter
Sep 18 2008, 06:23 PM
Don't forget the Pressure Putting contest Friday at the player's party for a Basket! Bring 5 putters, nerves of steel and a good strategy. The clock is ticking!

serg
Sep 19 2008, 10:37 AM
Good luck to all the participants. Have a great weekend.

Wisco Represent! Let's go Carlita ;)

discglfr
Sep 19 2008, 09:30 PM
This is the first time in a few years that I'm not the marshal at the US Women's event. However, while marshaling, I met Chris Jaskolka and know that he is passionate about putting on a darn good show. I sincerely hope all of the women down there are having a great time.

I see that our beloved Wisconsin rep, Carla is whooping up! Keep up the great work girl and bring home an Advanced title.

Ter

chrisjaskolka
Sep 20 2008, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the kind words Terry. Miss seeing you this year. Maybe next year in Iowa.

I posted this update in the Tournaments thread, but an reposting it here for completeness.

Scores are being posted immediately after the round is completed. If all plans come together we will have live scoring and streaming webcam type video setup on the Solstice USWDGC site fro Sunday...That's the only course we have broadband access at.

Des did not make the trip due to ankle injury. Pat Stallman did not make it due to hurricane damage (hope all goes as good as it can with that). Liz Schooner also had to drop due to some family concerns.

All is going well here and the women are having a great time. The players pack valued at $83 retail, $120 including the lucnhes and dinners. Sparkman Park had custom flags flying from the baskets and all OBs painted and flagged.....its has never looked better. Lunch was served at the course. Oldman and Mom are here and JK also made it down for a day or two.

Had the flymart/1st players party tonight with dinner provided after the round. Tomorrows rounds are at Redstone Arsenal course and the 2nd players party at West End grill with a free keg and wine. They have broadband there so I will try to post another update, including what the payout/added cash will be.

All for now.

serg
Sep 20 2008, 03:31 PM
Being able to view scores shortly after rounds are completed has been great. Keep up the great work.

Looks like the "Mickey Mobile" is doing pretty well. Keep it up Barrett and Carla!

bruce_brakel
Sep 20 2008, 06:36 PM
Go Carla!
Go Becky!
Go Barrett!

Hilltopper
Sep 20 2008, 07:44 PM
Article on the first day of the event from the Decatur Daily. They may be doing a feature story today.

http://decaturdaily.com/stories/18768.html

Josh

keithjohnson
Sep 21 2008, 01:35 AM
2 of the Georgia ladies(I claim Sarah too since she plays in Georgia as much as SC :D) tied for 5th!

GO SUZETTE!!!!

chrispfrisbee
Sep 21 2008, 04:08 PM
Live Scoring for Open Women's Final 9 will start at aprroximately 2:30 PM.

Page HERE (http://www.solsticediscsports.com/uswdgc)

Hit 'Refresh' to update scores.

bruce_brakel
Sep 21 2008, 08:46 PM
Will you be updating scores for the rest tonight? Or I could just call my brother. I only want to know how Becky did.

NicoleFrazer
Sep 22 2008, 02:08 AM
Congratulations, Angela! Way to make it 2x!

flutterby
Sep 22 2008, 09:14 AM
<font color="purple"> If you missed this tournament YOU MISSED OUT! It was far and away the best Nationals so far. This is going to be a hard act to follow. We had awesome lunches every day and even pizza at the awards ceremony. The courses were pristine and there were score keepers for every card. I am amazed at the HUGE payout!! Chris, you and your team rocked the tournament! I am so proud of all of y'all. Please put in a bid to have it in Huntsville again. I don't think anyone could have put on a better show or will again for a really long time. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! </font>

Hilltopper
Sep 22 2008, 09:39 AM
Here's a copy/paste of the Decatur Daily article from Sunday.

World elite in Hartselle
Women�s disc golfers display talent at Sparkman

Daily photos by Michael Wetzel
Valarie Jenkins of Hinckley, Ohio, sinks a putt during second-round action of the PDGA U.S. women�s championship at Sparkman Park on Friday afternoon. Jenkins, the reigning women�s world champion, was atop the leaderboard after the four rounds of the tournament, which concludes in Huntsville on Sunday.

Leslie Easterling of Lacey�s Spring closes in on the hole during second-round action at Sparkman Park on Friday. After four rounds of the U.S. Women�s championship, Easterling, a part-time professional, is 18th in the open competition going into Sunday�s final rounds in Huntsville.
By Michael Wetzel
Assistant sports editor
HARTSELLE � Melinda Ring didn�t mind the long drive from Austin, Texas, to Hartselle. She was actually looking forward to it.

The 31-year-old massage therapist and part-time professional disc golfer was enjoying herself playing in the foursome with three of the top disc golfers in the world. Ring is one of 70 golfers competing in the 10th annual PDGA United States Women�s Championship.

The two first rounds were at Hartselle�s Sparkman Park and the final four rounds Saturday and Sunday moved to Huntsville courses. More than $10,000 in cash and prizes is awaiting the winners.

Friday afternoon, Ring found herself two shots behind tournament leader Valarie Jenkins of Hinckley, Ohio.

�I�m having a blast,� Ring said. �This is my first trip to Hartselle. This course is in great shape, and it�s a great change of pace from most of our courses.�

Ring said she got interested in disc golf about six years ago after growing tired of the traditional golf.

�Ball golf got too expensive and too time-consuming,� she said. �I like to walk for exercise and I have a competitive nature. Disc golf is great. I can just hop on the course, no big green fees, no need for tee times.�

Ring said she carried a 10-handicap in her golf bag and now she carries 14 discs, called drivers, mid-range and putters, in her disc golf shoulder bag. They range from $7 to $15 a disc.

But as one of the top disc golfers in Texas, she hasn�t tossed her golf experience to the wind.

�Because I play ball golf, it allows me use my course management skills to disc golf,� Ring said. �Like in ball golf, you have to know where you need to be and how to get to the hole.�

Ring held her own with that who�s who in disc golf foursome Friday.

Jenkins is the current two-time world champion. Not bad for a 22-year-old. The pros and amateurs alike in the 70-player field sported clothing and gear from equipment makers Discraft, Innova, Millennium, Salomon.

Jenkins said she has been playing disc golf �all my life.�

Her parents and brother play and she said it was natural for her to compete, too.

Watching her play, it is easy to see she relies on long drives and putting to win.

In May, she set a women�s world record with a disc drive of 485 feet at a competition in Nevada.

She leads the nationals at 8-under par with 36 holes to play.

Jenkins said she takes business and marketing courses online. �This sport is needing more publicity and sponsors for it to grow,� she said. �Hopefully, I can help.�

Like Jenkins, Carrie �Burl� Berlogar of Santa Cruz, Calif., is a full-time disc golf pro.

Berlogar was the tournament�s first-round leader in Hartselle.

The 39-year-old knows her way around disc courses. Last year, she said, she competed in more than 25 tournaments. Her disc-throwing skills have taken her across the globe. The two-time European champion last week added the U.S. women�s masters title to her laundry list of awards. She said she collected more than $20,000 in winnings in 2007.

Berlogar said when she isn�t competing or practicing, she�s helping her dad and sponsor work a 40-acre farm. �I�m also a junior high teacher, but right now I�m doing OK with this.�

With red-tinted hair, Berlogar toured the Hartselle course listening to Bob Marley and the Blackeye Peas on her mp3 player.

Of the top pros in the tournament, Berlogar might have the biggest target on her back.

Among men and women, she�s ranked 13th in the world and top three this year in money winnings. Berlogar credits her accuracy and discipline for excelling in the sport.

�The mental part of his game is so important,� she said. �You must stay disciplined, too. Try not to do too much.�

The fourth golfer in the lead group was five-time world champion Elaine King, who flew south from Toronto.

At 46, she�s proud to say she still competes in the open division. A chemist for Smith Glaxo Kline, King said she stresses weight-training and running to stay in shape.

�The sport keeps me in a competitive mindset,� she said. �I�ve decided to not play in the masters division (40-over) and try to compete with these younger girls. But it�s always a battle for me to get in enough practice time to keep up with them.�

In 2005 and 2007, King won the women�s national championship. She hopes to add the 2008 title to her trophy case Sunday.

The lone local golfer competing in the open division is Leslie Easterling of Lacey�s Spring. Also, Marla Lenox of Union Hill is competing in advanced women�s division.

�It�s wonderful to have this talent level here this weekend in Alabama,� said Easterling who has been a pro for three years.

The third-grade teacher at Huntsville�s Weatherly Elementary has earned more than $1,000 in winnings and is looking for major sponsorship. Easterling is 18th after Saturday�s competition.

King, like the other pros, knows that for prize money to increase, the sport needs more exposure, sponsors and players.

�The sport is very family- friendly,� she said. �Players of any ability can have fun and get better.�

The final two rounds are Sunday at UAH. Spectator admission is free of charge.

For more information and tournament results, visit www.pdga.com (http://www.pdga.com)

10th annual PDGA U.S. women�s championship

Here are the leaders after four rounds of the PDGA U.S. women�s disc golf championship in Hartselle and Huntsville. The final two rounds will be Sunday at the UAH disc golf course.

Open division
1, Valarie Jenkins 208 -8
2, Angela Tschiggfrie 210 -6
3, Carrie Berlogar 211 -5
4, Elaine King 216 E
5, Courtney Peavy 221 +5
5, Sarah Stanhope 221 +5
18, Leslie Easterling 251 +35
Advanced women
Area golfer
3, Marla Lenox 260 +44

Hilltopper
Sep 22 2008, 09:44 AM
Let me express my thanks from the city of Hartselle, the Hartselle Disc Golf Club, and Marla for all of the ladies who came down. You've helped our little club and course more than you'll ever know. Thanks to Chris J for putting on a great show and having faith that we could get Hartselle up and running in time. Thanks to all the volunteers from the RCCG, the 2 guys who drove down from Maryland (!) to volunteer, the Peoria crew (Old Man, Mom, and Wilbur), and especially the DGB and Solstice crews who helped us even though we weren't their home course. And special thanks goes out to Karen J, who has had to put up with Chris for the past year.

Josh

discette
Sep 22 2008, 10:06 AM
<font color="red"> If you missed this tournament YOU MISSED OUT! </font>

I agree with this statement. It was great having such large fields of competitors, and the fantastic payout, but the best part was the people and courses in Huntsville. Thanks to Chris and the entire staff for a job well done.

The volunteers did a fantastic job. The amount of work they put into the courses was beyond belief. The courses were all in beautiful shape with custom flags flying on every basket. The grass was freshly cut and OB lines were painted and flagged at all the courses. There were pop-up shelters set up on most tee pads with free water and sports drinks at nearly every single hole.

The work they did for the players was amazing, too. Not only did they add cash but they added EVERYTHING! They had overflowing player packs for the Pros and Ams. There were CTP's every round. There was free food and drink for lunch and even dinner too! There were so many volunteers they almost outnumbered the competitors. The Alabama folks were super friendly and took care of anything the we needed.

I hope Huntsville runs the USWDGC again and/or the Worlds. I know I won't miss it!!!

Again, great courses, great payout, great company and great volunteers means HUNTSVILLE ROCS!!!

karenjaskolka
Sep 22 2008, 12:31 PM
Thank you so much for the kind words! Chris is at home today still recovering! LOL

Thank you so much to the staff. There is no way that Chris could have put this on without the wonderful staff and other great volunteers. There are so many people behind the scenes. We greatly appreciate it, and we cannot thank you enough. Thank you for sharing the same vision of Chris and David!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for all of the hard work and dedication to making this a wonderful event!!!!!!!!!

Also, we couldn't have done it without the help from area clubs, too. The support from all of our friends in other clubs was incredible, and we owe you! Thank you so much. I would like to mention Birmingham in particular. We love y'all! We really appreciate all of your help and the golf carts. YES!!!!! Thank you Josh and Marla of Harselle disc golf. The Harselle course and food was was fantastic. I really liked it because I shot my best rounds there. LOL Thank you Will Corey of Shoals Frisbee Club (Florence) disc golf for capturing so many great moments and putting them on the internet. It really means a lot when local clubs and people come together and make this the highest women's payout in history and one of the best tournaments ever! THANK YOU to the RCCG members like Billy, Scott, James, Steve, Jan,Matt, Bill W. and many others. Thank you Kari H for all of your help! I can go on and on.You helped raised the bar! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait for the glow. Let's have fun!

Thank you so much, everybody!!!!!!!! It's time to relax now.

Karen J.

chrispfrisbee
Sep 22 2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks to all of the ladies who came to play in Huntsville! Thanks to all of the sponsors and staffers that made it possible to award the largest payout in women's history!

Full wrap up article here. (http://www.solsticediscsports.com/uswdgc)

karenjaskolka
Sep 22 2008, 05:42 PM
I also would like to give a special thanks to Chris P. and his wife, Carrie. We will always be grateful for your time consuming work on the computer registration, shirts, etc. We owe you! Thank you so much! You are a major reason why it was such a success, and we really appreciate it! We will have fun next weekend!

Karen J.

Hilltopper
Sep 22 2008, 11:03 PM
The picture that had to be posted. Hole 1 at Hartselle, from behind the giant bush on hole 2. Thank you Sam.

http://www.discgolfersr.us/photo/photo/show?id=1809917%3APhoto%3A1221180&amp;context=user

Josh

Jebb
Sep 23 2008, 02:02 AM
Speaking of pics, everyone who took a picture or video footage - please take a moment to register on www.hsvdiscgolf.com (http://www.hsvdiscgolf.com) and share them! There's always www.discgolfersr.us (http://www.discgolfersr.us) if you need somewhere to upload them.

It was such a pleasure all weekend.

The smile says it all:
http://www.discgolfersr.us/photo/photo/show?id=1809917%3APhoto%3A1221217&amp;context=user

suemac
Sep 23 2008, 10:05 AM
Had a great time! Lot's of new faces that I hope to see again soon!

Remember, we've got an awesome ladies event down in TEXAS that we'd love to have more of you girl attend next spring. Right around the first of April, not sure of the date.

Thanks again to all those who made it possible.

Lala
Sep 23 2008, 10:49 AM
Texas ladies sure had a great time. Thanx to Chris &amp; crew - Karen, thank for putting up with Chris for the last year plus (not to mention all the work you must have done yourself), I know a little bit about the kind of strain running a ladies event can put on a household - y'all did a badass job!! Thanx to all the clubs &amp; staffers for pulling everything together behind the seems &amp; making it look effortless - you guys are awesome!!! Thanx to all of the ladies that made this event - without us, there'd be no reason for all the hard work. &amp; for me, thanx most of all to all the Texas ladies pulling together to make this trip, picking up evacuees, transporting kids, packing cars to the roof - all challenges we met with kindness &amp; love - thanx to the men &amp; women in our lives making this long trip possible for all of us!! Thanx to Sue for the TIPS project - every little bit helps!! Hope to see more of you out of state ladies in April for the finest little B-tier in Texas (no date yet). This will be our 5th Texas Women's Championship &amp; April is wonderful here - you find a way to make it, we'll find a place for you to stay &amp; I heard last night that the Outlaw Singles Shootout was busy raising money for TWC while we were away playin' - gotta love those Texas Boyz. ROUND ROCK!!

karenjaskolka
Sep 23 2008, 11:19 AM
Thank you so much for your kind words! It means a lot to me, and I really do appreciate it! I'm so glad everybody came down. Texas Ladies Rock!

Karen J.

chrispfrisbee
Sep 23 2008, 02:46 PM
PICTURES FROM THE EVENT (http://www.flickr.com/photos/eatsleepdisc/collections/72157607446929112/)

chrispfrisbee
Sep 23 2008, 02:58 PM
Recorded Awards Ceremony (http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/730580)

tree20862
Sep 24 2008, 06:18 AM
I'd like to reiterate that our hosts and all the volunteers in whatever contribution they made was greatly appreciated :) Everyone's hard work paid off!!! The courses were wonderful! Having the circles around the baskets was nice, too.

We were never in danger of dehydration with water/gatorade spread throughout each course; lunches were satisfying, and the players party that I attended had a wide variety of foodstuff to choose from.

Chris, Karen, and every other volunteer-KUDOS to a job well done :) I feel you met that high goal you set to make this event even more special!!

Lookout Quad Cities......You've got even bigger shoes to fill than the Rocket City Chain Gang!!

Tree PDGA# 20862, WDGA#155
#2 Rec Women USWDGC
#1 Rec Women putter USWDGC
USWDGC Rec Woman Prize Monkey

michellewade
Sep 24 2008, 09:06 PM
What an amazing event you guys threw! By far, the funnest tournament I've ever attended!!! Don't know how the crew for 2009 is going to top it!!

Was really fun meeting so many new people as well! *Waving* hello to the ladies!

Special HUGE THANK YOU to our most gracious hosts, Dean and Ginger Tannock! Kathy and I can't thank you enough and really appreciate ALL you did for us!!!

THANK YOU to our TD, volunteers and scorekeepers as well.

Am still working on my pics and will post them here once I'm finished.

DeanTannock
Sep 26 2008, 08:48 PM
Glad everyone had a blast. Weather was great also.

michellewade
Sep 28 2008, 09:46 PM
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog

is where I posted my blog and pics.

If that link doesn't work, search for discgolflady on myspace.

Thanks again to everyone for an unforgetable experience! :cool:

michellewade
Sep 28 2008, 10:00 PM
Recorded Awards Ceremony (http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/730580)

This site wants me to sign up and log in to view the video. Any chance you can put it on youtube?

Thanks!! :D