Pinhead
Nov 29 2007, 10:11 PM
I've been playing disc golf now for about half a year and I still have NO distance. I gave up on the BackHand because I'm lucky to get 200' with it and throw primarily Side Arm now with a max around 275' when lucky. Everyone I throw with says that I have to give more snap. I thought that I was giving as much snap as I possibly could.
What can I do to learn to throw with more snap? Does anyone know of any good videos to watch for a thorough demonstration?

doot
Nov 30 2007, 02:42 AM
http://www.discgolfreview.com

All you'll ever need to learn about the mechanics of disc golf.

In most cases, you will generate more distance refining your backhand than you would throwing your forehand (although for many the forehand feels more comfortable and accurate.) Both comfort and accuracy will suffer as you progress and improve.

Other suggestions are to go out and watch the pros throw, ask a pro to help you with your game, and once you learn what you need to do to improve, videotape yourself to analyze your game and compare it with better players.

There are an overwhelming amount of aspects you need to refine in order to gain more distance including: disc selection, grip, footwork, reach back, release point (flat, hyzer, anhyzer), snap, follow thru, etc.) so don't get overwhelmed thinking about too much. Focus on one aspect at a time.

If you do film yourself, put it on youtube and share it with others..it can only help to let others analyze your mechanics.

Above all else, HAVE FUN!

Luckymutha
Nov 30 2007, 09:29 AM
That website is how I learned. I hit a wall at about 300 ft for a year or so. Also, get out in a wide open field and follow the instructions on the website. Your first 50 throws will probably be shanks (sky hyzers, accidental rollers, worm burners, etc.), but eventually it will start improving. You should be able to get at least 300 ft once you get it down. This is conservative because the website suggests that anyone can throw at least 350 ft with the proper technique. I believe this as well. When you actually get on the course you may be worse for a while, but it's definitely worth it in the long run.

travisgreenway
Nov 30 2007, 09:30 AM
You have a PM :D

AviarX
Nov 30 2007, 10:38 AM
practice snapping a towel and then add in the arm throwing backhand motion and synch it up with the towel snap so you get the throw and snap to happen together and minimize off-axis torque.

my two cents...

jmonny
Nov 30 2007, 02:24 PM
Don't give up on the backhand, make sure you use a form of power (fist) grip and keep the disc close to your chest as you pull thru. Distance will come over time but don't emphasize it over accuracy, always have a target to throw at when your practicing distance or its useless. Impress your friends with all your drop in putts while they struggle with 40 footers because they have no distance control.

Pinhead
Nov 30 2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the link to the Disc Golf Review website. There are several great articles on form, technique, and grip that give me a world of insight that nobody has bothered to explain to me before.
I'm going to go out and practice all day tomorrow!!

Especially liked this article..... http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

teddy8rabun
Dec 01 2007, 09:55 PM
i did this for about a month, and i can now roll over a monster.

i laid in bed, i would hold my arm agenst the wall, and not move it. and throw a disc up with only my wrist.

and it is not fun having the ability to throw a roller, with a hyzer backhand drive.

Greatzky2
Dec 31 2007, 02:15 PM
to beast8roc: I might say it is more likely that you turning over a monster out of a hyzer into a roller would be caused by wrist rollover and not just wrist strength. I would say to slow down your throw and see if you wrist is in a weird position during or after your release. If your palm is facing up towards the sky on your follow through you are probably rolling your wrist over.

-Scott Lewis