stack
Nov 29 2007, 01:58 PM
not sure if this topic has been brought up but...

is there an official PDGA stance in regards to using instant replay at disc golf events? is it allowed, not allowed, sometimes, etc?

sounds silly but with more and more people carrying camera phones/digital cameras I would imagine its bound to come up.

This video made me think of it... Its a sweet side arm ace on what looks like a cool/tough hole... but he foot faults
foot fault ace? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUrPAf-WaLQ)

StevenDodge
Nov 29 2007, 02:10 PM
We used instant replay at the 2007 MSDGC. Sjur Soleng's upshot onto the island green hit the railroad tie that marks the OB - the OB rope is nailed to the top middle of it. The staffer calling OB on the hole rules it did not cross the rope as it seemed to hit the front corner of the tie. The group was being filmed as part of the DVD and we went to the tape. The call was correct (and Sjur was charged a timeout.)

The shot is on this video 54 seconds in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axaVO380uMI

We weren't PDGA, but I would have done the same thing if we were. IMO, get the call correct when possible.

Regarding the foot faulted ace, someone in the group would have to have called the foot fault to even bring the tape into play (i think).

bruce_brakel
Nov 29 2007, 02:23 PM
At the 2006 Byron Big D Kelsey and I were out taking pictures. Mark Ellis and his partner were complaining about how the guys on the card behind them were foot faulting on their jump putts and no one was calling them on it. I said, "It's tough to call; it happens so fast."

They threw their drives and drove off in their cart. Then Kelsey says, "Daddy, look." The photo clearly showed Mark's partner foot faulting on his drive! :D

wander
Nov 29 2007, 02:46 PM
I get emails about foot faults etc in my shows.

Pretty common things, there are a bunch in the footage I'm working on. They show up pretty glaringly on closely mowed turf and when folks don't use markers. And strikingly, the stuff I'm looking at is for rounds with Officials in tow. Foot faults are our sports best quasi-rule.

Joe

stack
Nov 29 2007, 03:07 PM
yeah... im not just thinking of foot faults though... i'm thinking of deliberate cheating and other examples like the really good one Steve gave where OB comes into question.

an example would be @ USDGC 2 years ago I saw a guy stand with one foot on the road (along 5) and the other foot inbounds and he proceeded to lift the inbounds foot and through off the OB foot.

at the time I wasnt sure but thought it was against the rules... and figured he'd know better than me.

if thats someone a casual observer caught (on tape/camera) @ a major and brought to an official (lets say shortly after the shot and before they threw again or holed out)... would that be allowed as grounds for either a warning or for a cheating infraction of softs.

another instance could be if you are photographing someone or filming and you see them stand a foot or 2 off the marker (left or right) because it gives them a cleaner line.

good to know that there was some precedent set @ MSDGC for DG majors at least.

krazyeye
Nov 29 2007, 03:36 PM
not sure if this topic has been brought up but...

is there an official PDGA stance in regards to using instant replay at disc golf events? is it allowed, not allowed, sometimes, etc?

sounds silly but with more and more people carrying camera phones/digital cameras I would imagine its bound to come up.

This video made me think of it... Its a sweet side arm ace on what looks like a cool/tough hole... but he foot faults
foot fault ace? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUrPAf-WaLQ)

803.04 F states ". A stance violation must be clearly called within three seconds after the infraction to be valid. The call may be made by any member of the group or an official." If you watch his foot and the clock the infraction would have to be called before the disc is even in the basket three seconds is pretty quick.

Alacrity
Nov 29 2007, 03:42 PM
Lance points out an important point, the 3 second clause. With this in place, replay CANNOT be used for footfaults without a change to the rule.

Since it was not called then I guess it was an invalid footfault....... or would that be a valid non-footfault????

sandalman
Nov 29 2007, 03:45 PM
it could be called within three seconds and discussed at leisure, including poring over video footage. nothing in the rule says it must be resolved w/in 3 seconds, only called. presumably, if instant replay is okay, you could call every throw, then go to tape for verification.

or, we could all just start following the rules :)

Alacrity
Nov 29 2007, 04:17 PM
I guess you are right, IF it was called in that three seconds, but if it was not, no replay in the world would make any difference.

stack
Nov 29 2007, 04:29 PM
so a foot fault doesnt have to be 2nd'd? I always heard it did but not reading it in the rules... and good point fellas.

another question on this... lets say someone takes a picture of someone knowingly cheating (like the examples of not standing w/in a foot or 2 of the mark in the woods) and discovers it down the road and turns it in the PDGA... would it make a sound? (ala if a tree.. well... you get it)

evandmckee
Nov 29 2007, 05:56 PM
so a foot fault doesnt have to be 2nd'd? I always heard it did but not reading it in the rules... and good point fellas.

803.04 F. A stance violation must be clearly called within three seconds after the infraction to be valid. The call may be made by any member of the group or an official. When the call is made by a member of the group, <font color="red">it must subsequently be confirmed by another member of the group </font> . A player shall receive a warning for the first violation of a stance rule in the round. Subsequent violations of a stance rule in the same round shall incur a one-throw penalty.

chappyfade
Nov 29 2007, 06:20 PM
There is no official response from PDGA as regards to replay. You cannot use it for foot faults, because of the timing involved, and also because camera angles and such can make someone APPEAR to foot fault when they might not have. Your example of the forehand ace isn't really conclusive to me. The players appears to step on the board at the front of the tee pad, but you can't tell if he steps over it or not, and I have no idea if the TD considers the board part of the tee or not. I'd need a lot more information to make that call, and probably still wouldn't conclude anything from that particular video.

I think a situation similar to where Steve Dodge used it above is appropriate use of video replay, if it's absolutely conclusive....but that's just my personal opinion.

Chap

boredatwork
Nov 29 2007, 08:10 PM
I am not positive but somewhat sure that I noticed an example of foot faulting on the recent video clips of the lead group on the final nine holes of the KCWO7 (first of the two clips). On hole 11 David finds himself inside a bush after his drive and has to get out. I have not reviewed it frame by frame but it appears that he jumps off his lie before the disc has left his hand. Foot fault?!