par54whereareyo
Nov 19 2007, 05:02 PM
What do you do at your local club in doubles in regards to the Cali? Is it fair that he has two throws at each hole for the ace pot? Should the ace pot only be paid to him if he hits an ace on his first throw? We do pro/am doubles, so only the pros have a chance to be the Cali.

Jroc
Nov 19 2007, 05:37 PM
We do cali 2 ways here. At one doubles mini, cali gets 1 extra shot per hole. At the other mini, you get an extra shot on every throw. Both ways allow the cali player 2 shots at an ace (using the former method, its only if he wants to use the extra shot on his drive).

Personally, I think cali should get only 1 extra shot per hole. And, (if its agreed/stipulated that teams will/must split the pot), I think its only fair that a cali player get 2 tries at an ace since the other teams get the same opportunity.

Alacrity
Nov 20 2007, 12:15 PM
We allow one extra shot per hole or provide the option to buy two shots each time.

johnrock
Nov 21 2007, 09:32 AM
We have always followed the direction of the Cali player only gets one extra per hole (no doubling up for double entry). Also, if the Cali player uses his/her extra shot on a tee pad and makes it in the basket, they get the "1" on the scorecard but not the Ace Pot since every other player only gets one chance at each tee shot. Even though most players will split somewhat with their partner if they Ace, the Cali player who Aces only shares when he/she brings beer the next week!

Do any clubs/weekly/monthly activities have an extra award for a Cali player who doesn't use any extra shots and still wins the round? I've done it once before and it was a pretty good feeling.

frogponddiver
Dec 06 2007, 06:21 PM
We allow the Cali to throw one additional shot per hole. An ace on either shot is allowed and paid. There has been some talk however, of changing this so that only the first shot counts for the ace pool, since all other players only get one shot per hole.

I believe the change will occur and makes the most sense.

krupicka
Dec 07 2007, 08:26 AM
How many times do you see a doubles team try for the ace run on the first throw and the safer shot on the second? If the first player parks it, the second player is freed up to try for a more risky ace run. Why shouldn't the Cali have the same opportunity if he parks the first shot?

johnrock
Dec 07 2007, 09:44 AM
I guess it's just personal preference for whomever is running/organizing the event. Different players have different views, different clubs have different policies. It all boils down to knowing beforehand which way the Ace pay out will be, and entering if you agree. I'm sure if a player disagrees, they are more than welcome to play the course alone, or do their own format. The market will decide.

circle_2
Dec 07 2007, 01:32 PM
'Some' obvious advantages can be gained by the 1st drive -> reading the wind & feeling the distance to the pin.

IMHO, unless the Cali pays twice, he/she has not earned the right to have 2 shots at the Ace~Pot. I'll pay $5 either way if he/she aces on the Cali~drive/<u>2nd</u> try

gotcha
Dec 08 2007, 09:12 AM
Here in the Steel City, we allow the odd player one additional stroke on every hole. If the odd player chooses to utilize his/her extra stroke for a second drive which results in an ace, the ace is counted but does not pay. In other words, only the odd player's first drive will pay an ace.

If the odd player chooses to pay double the entry fee, the second drive/ace would count/pay.

By the way....why do so many golfers refer to the "odd man" as "Cali"? I had never heard that term until about 4-5 years ago.... :confused:

crotts
Dec 10 2007, 09:35 AM
with our doubles we use cali to refer to a way the odd man can play. they have two options: pay double entry(except ace pool) get 2 shots from every lie. or play cali get one extra shot per hole. and we pay out every ace, doesn't matter who does it or which shot of theirs it was.

terms like cali get changed everywhere you go, and it happens in every sport. hell i've been around people that call firebirds stable.

: ) :

grateful24655
Jan 27 2008, 01:04 PM
yeah, and 05 spectator rocs overstable :eek:

warlocks00
Feb 05 2008, 10:57 AM
So most of you are agreeing that the 2nd throw would not count on the ace....Or that if they want to have a second throw on every shot. They have to pay twice.

So say you are playing worst shot, would you make the Cali throw twice on every throw? He didn't pay twice?

johnrock
Feb 05 2008, 11:36 AM
I don't think you should even try playing worst shot doubles with an odd number of players. Same goes for alternate shot doubles. Without equal pairs, the spirit of the format is non-existant.