marshief
Oct 24 2007, 10:19 PM
I received this information from the guy who runs the course. Here are some photos (http://tenstars.com/discgolf/) from opening day of the course.

the resort is brand spanking new and the name is Khao Pra Seaview Resort. the disc website is www.discgolfsamui.com (http://www.discgolfsamui.com) but as the course is brand new, so is the site but we are updating it right now.

we are on the island of Koh Samui Thailand, in the gulf of thailand, a 45 minute flight south from bangkok.

the disc golf course tees off from in front of one hotel building (2 currently, third on the way)
and then finishes out directly in front of the swimming pool in front of the second building.

you can see those same islands from your spa/bathtub. or you can just sit out on your patio in a teak lounge chair and check out the same view. or you can go play golf and see the same view.

i've been playing in pro tournaments for 14 years now, first was indiana fall series back in 93 but the first real pro tournament i played was the japan open in 1994. i designed this golf course specifically to appeal to people like yourselves who wish to travel
somewhere nice and be able to stay somewhere nice but not give up the discs.

my motto here is simply this:

Treat disc golfers like ball golfers

this is a Disc Golf Resort. the golf course is brand new and our am tournaments start november. i am tentatively planning our first pro event to coincide with Songkran (huge amazingly fun Thai holiday to celebrate the thai new year) which happens mid april.

koh samui is fast becoming the place to be. david beckham just bought a house here, the womens tennis champion just bought a house here etc. many many tourists every year from all over the world

scottknapp
Oct 25 2007, 12:43 PM
Are those lights on that course?

marshief
Oct 25 2007, 05:27 PM
I'm guessing so. Also, Khao Pra in Thai apparently means "Monk Mountain." If you look really closely, you can see a big golden monk in the gazebo :)

marshief
Oct 29 2007, 05:34 PM
Got the answer and some more info:

yes those are lights, solar lights actually and after i have enough traffic come through and play to validate the course layout we will be solar lighting the golf course for night play. samui can get quite hot at mid day (35+ celsius is common) so some players come out early morning and others wait for after 3 pm so we will light it to recapture some of those lost rounds due to heat. never bothered me much, i play 3 rounds a day on most days.

our plans also include adding electric golf carts for rental use as well. we can even arrange for atv's to take you into the interior of the island, or just motorbikes (the most common form of transport on the island) to take you anywhere else. you can drive around the entire island here in one hour. great fun and some great views as well.

MarkCostello
Jan 03 2008, 05:34 PM
I am writing a story for Flying Disc Magazine about the Khao Pra disc golf course. If you've been there and would like to talk, please contact me at [email protected] and/or [email protected] Thanks.

terrycalhoun
Jan 03 2008, 09:04 PM
I wish I had known about this before Sheila and I planned our trip to China, February 28 to March 24. If I had, I would have managed to find a way to spend time at Khao Pra before or after. What a great idea!

Hootie
Apr 30 2008, 11:30 AM
Bad news guys, one of my friends was booked in to stay at the resort, but got an email from the manager a couple weeks back advising that the owner had closed the resort due to lack of guests. No more disc golf resort at present. Not good.