Alacrity
Oct 23 2007, 04:26 PM
Is it just me or has anyone else noted ratings snobbery? Do others check to see a players rating to see if their opinion is worthy of note? Why is it that the 1000+ rated players never seem to post to us, sub 1000 rated players?

These things concern me. I guess I first noticed it in myself when I checked a player rating before responding to them. It was just a few days later that I noticed someone dising one player's exercise regimen for disc golf because their rating was less than 920. What is happening to posters in general? Should we just ignore any advice given by a player that is below 900? Maybe players with ratings less than 950 should have their rating show up when they post. This would certainly save many of us the trouble of checking.

Maybe like the old axiom of those how can play, play and those that can't teach, we should quite typing and read only posts by players with ratings less than our own....... ;)

ck34
Oct 23 2007, 04:39 PM
In the case of the exercise regimen player, the more potentially telling stat was the fact he only had one year of PDGA playing history, but that was available by looking at his rating history. It doesn't mean he hasn't been involved for many years but it does provide a specific factual data point for his resume. Blake has done a great job studying throw mechanics but that's now been validated over many years of study even though he doesn't play much or well in PDGA events. If anything, those of us on committees may give more weight to the opinions of lower rated players since there are more of them as members.

Alacrity
Oct 23 2007, 04:59 PM
You do know I was joking, right?

ck34
Oct 23 2007, 05:04 PM
Needed more winks... ;)

Nonetheless, good post regardless how meant.

sandalman
Oct 23 2007, 07:55 PM
a posters rating can be part of forming an opinion about the post. nothing wrong with that, imo. how much weight is put on it is up to the individual though.

factoid: we tried displaying the rating as a rollover, but someone objected and the feature was commented out

factoid: i know three players, two in tx and one in the east, who dont renew because their ratings are public. they are older players whose ratings have dropped. they dont want the rating accessible even in the Membership pages.

craigramsdell
Oct 23 2007, 09:17 PM
I'll get Schwebby to post here.

He's a postin' fool

Craig

bschweberger
Oct 23 2007, 09:57 PM
Is it just me or has anyone else noted ratings snobbery? Do others check to see a players rating to see if their opinion is worthy of note? Why is it that the 1000+ rated players never seem to post to us, sub 1000 rated players?

These things concern me. I guess I first noticed it in myself when I checked a player rating before responding to them. It was just a few days later that I noticed someone dising one player's exercise regimen for disc golf because their rating was less than 920. What is happening to posters in general? Should we just ignore any advice given by a player that is below 900? Maybe players with ratings less than 950 should have their rating show up when they post. This would certainly save many of us the trouble of checking.

Maybe like the old axiom of those how can play, play and those that can't teach, we should quite typing and read only posts by players with ratings less than our own....... ;)

R U kidding me? I post on here all the freaking time and have offered any help that I can provide at any time. Ask any questions to whenever, I will respond at the best possible time.

rickb
Oct 23 2007, 10:29 PM
Besides Schweb you've got Leyva, Gangloff, a couple of Frizzaks, a Yeti...and although thier ratings might not reflect it now, you've got 3 former world champions who have a combined total of 3 open championships and 3 masters championships who post here. And I know I'm missing quite a few.

Player ratings are a way to measure a person's disc golf ability not who they are as a person. If that were the case it's time to congratulate Schwebby, our first 3000 combined disc golf/attitude rated player. Take a bow big fella.

enkster
Oct 23 2007, 10:56 PM
Boy, that must mean I have minimal value....(Check the rating)

:D

Steve Enk

skaZZirf
Oct 24 2007, 12:20 AM
frizzawhat?

august
Oct 24 2007, 09:31 AM
Some are snobs. Most are not. Schweb has always impressed me as a top rate individual. He has taken the time to talk to me about disc golf, as well as remember my name.

My rating is a paltry 808 as of 2004. Schweb is not a snob by any stretch of the definition.

Alacrity
Oct 24 2007, 01:08 PM

R U kidding me? I post on here all the freaking time and have offered any help that I can provide at any time. Ask any questions to whenever, I will respond at the best possible time.

;) ;) ;)Clearly you are the exception and I feel privaledge that you graced this thread with your august presence and high rating. ;) ;) ;)

I hope everyone understands that this thread was meant tongue in cheek. <font color="yellow"> Please don't respond with PM, if your rating is less than 925 I will auto ignore...... </font>

enkster
Oct 24 2007, 05:24 PM
Frizzak,

Obviously I was kidding. (see smiley) I know that if someone has something of value to offer they will (or should) be respected, without regard of rating.

After all, all the rating shows is how well you can physically throw a radially symmetrical object towards a metallic basket, not how intelligent or thoughtful one is on a particular topic.

Let's all chill :cool:

Steve

jmonny
Oct 26 2007, 01:00 PM
I suppose most 1000+ rated players are out practicing their game instead of posting all day. :D

skaZZirf
Oct 26 2007, 01:14 PM
They read, beleive it.
Most dont post. Its raining somewhere.

cornhuskers9495
Oct 26 2007, 07:22 PM

Not all 1000+ rated players are snobs, infact, maybe 4-5, of the top 100 golfers, won't respond/offer advise to a question when asked directly.

I have personaly helped numurous players in here. I get IM's all the time, about putting expecially. I love to help others. I feel it's my obligation to give back to the game and "HELP OTHERS" when asked.

Any questions? Well questions from people that are 950 or higher of course... :D

PS Schweb, I left my beloved Champion Firechicken in your car...

nanook
Oct 27 2007, 03:03 PM
Around here one of my favorite 1000+ rated players is Mike Randolph. He has got to be one of THE nicest guys I have ever met. I don't know if he posts that much here, but he's all over the Mile High DGC boards. We had a course clean-up day earlier this year and he was out busting his tail just like all us hackers. A buddy (INT) and I (ADV) were having dinner at the player's party for the High Plains Challenge this summer and Randolph came over asked to join us. Not only did he remember who we were, but he knew how we had shot that day, and talked to us about the course we were going to play the next day. In my experience, Mikey is a quality individual and a true ambassador for the sport.

nanook

cornhuskers9495
Oct 27 2007, 04:21 PM
Randolph, for president...

bschweberger
Oct 27 2007, 10:24 PM

Not all 1000+ rated players are snobs, infact, maybe 4-5, of the top 100 golfers, won't respond/offer advise to a question when asked directly.

I have personaly helped numurous players in here. I get IM's all the time, about putting expecially. I love to help others. I feel it's my obligation to give back to the game and "HELP OTHERS" when asked.

Any questions? Well questions from people that are 950 or higher of course... :D

PS Schweb, I left my beloved Champion Firechicken in your car...

PS Schweb, I left my beloved Champion Firechicken in your car.

I know it is siTTing right here next to me.

gotcha
Oct 28 2007, 06:41 AM
Some are snobs. Most are not. Schweb has always impressed me as a top rate individual.

Over the years, my wife and I have welcomed <u>many</u> disc golfers to stay at our house during local events. Coincidentally, my wife has developed her own rating system for these players. Schweb was a stranger to her the first time he and the CCrew stayed with us, however, Schwebby has one of her highest ratings she's ever awarded......not for being a nice guy, but for being one of the few who actually helped clean the dishes after dinner. :)

crusher
Oct 28 2007, 10:39 AM
Ratings should not matter when it comes to training or techniuqe advice. I have taught many players over the years with lower ratings, and I have also been taught by players with lower ratings than mine.

As with any type of sports training, players should take what advice they want and leave the rest behind. I know that I have thought that some of the advice I was given was pretty bad, but then I give it shot and it really worked.

Point being, advice is only as good as the person who is willing to try anything to improve!

bschweberger
Oct 28 2007, 10:41 AM
Some are snobs. Most are not. Schweb has always impressed me as a top rate individual.

Over the years, my wife and I have welcomed <u>many</u> disc golfers to stay at our house during local events. Coincidentally, my wife has developed her own rating system for these players. Schweb was a stranger to her the first time he and the CCrew stayed with us, however, Schwebby has one of her highest ratings she's ever awarded......not for being a nice guy, but for being one of the few who actually helped clean the dishes after dinner. :)

That is how I roll Gotcha.

ChrisWoj
Oct 28 2007, 03:08 PM

Current Pace: 106 POINTS.

GO JACKETS!

discette
Oct 29 2007, 01:04 PM
I don't think most people are ratings snobs. But, sometimes a player's rating can explain their point of view and whether the claims they make are believable. Take for example a glowing disc review filled with numerous superlatives about a disc that others have panned. When you "click-click" and see a player with a rating of less than 850, it puts the review in perspective.

fulcan
Nov 08 2007, 12:47 PM
I only check ratings when I'm reading disc raves or rants (well, mostly). When someone says it's flippy or way overstable, their rating gives me a good place to start for figuring out how it might fly for me.

Same goes for the fabled "added 50' to my drive!".