RustyP
Oct 11 2007, 12:45 PM
Our local club is installing a temporary course for a one-day club event at a nearby park in a few weeks...our local county judge wants to see our ideas for a permanent course before he is willing to stand behind us and put any money into it. The park is pretty hilly and our initial design incorporates a few baskets on hillsides, and I'm trying to figure out a good way to ensure that our temporary baskets (mostly Discatcher Sports and Skillshots) are level while keeping their placement on a slope.

The obvious solution is to simply grab a shovel and dig out a level area for the basket to sit on, but there is a good chance that the city won't allow us to do any kind of digging before the event. Any ideas on how we could accomplish this without removing any earth?

johnrock
Oct 11 2007, 01:01 PM
With the Skillshots it's easier to keep them level since there are three legs. Two will sit on the ground and find some sticks or big rocks to prop up the third.

On baskets with a solid base, you'll need more sticks or rocks, but you can get them pretty solid.

If your area is clean and free of debris, you may need to plan ahead and bring some scrap 2x4's with you. Several pieces that are 1 to 2 feet long should be plenty.

rizbee
Oct 11 2007, 01:17 PM
Another thing I have seen done is to drive some stakes into the ground so that they stick out high enough to lay a piece of plywood on the stakes at one end and the hill at the other. You can then set up the basket on this shelf.

RustyP
Oct 11 2007, 05:47 PM
Thanks guys...I'm heading out the park tonight to see which idea will work the best with the land.

If worse comes to worst, I'll just take the bottom off my Skillshot and make a hanging basket :cool:

bruce_brakel
Oct 12 2007, 09:19 AM
The thing to do with a Skillshot is go to the hardware store and get a metal reinforcing strip an inch wide and six inches long or so with holes in it every inch or so. Using a nut, bolt and washer attach it to one of the feet. Now you can level the Skillshot on a steep sideways hill. We did that for our ice bowl and they worked great.

The thing to do with a Pro Sport or any other round bottomed basket is find a flat spot!

RustyP
Oct 15 2007, 05:05 PM
Turns out the stick and rocks method worked just fine :D

Thanks again for the help...hopefully I can post some pics of the finished layout soon.

johnrock
Oct 15 2007, 05:40 PM
Glad I could help! I'm also glad that you are using the hills in your area instead of placing the baskets on the top of the hill or at the bottoms. Side-hill basket placements are BUENO!

RustyP
Nov 14 2007, 11:31 AM
Some photos from our temp course this past weekend: Alex Smith Temp Course Photos (http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected])

Only 2 holes ended up with hill-side pin placements due to some last minute rearranging we had to do (hole 6 is the only hill-side green that I got a picture of).

Thanks again for everybody who gave input. Hopefully I'll be back here soon enough asking questions about installing a permanent course :D