T_Hizzle
Aug 29 2007, 05:35 PM
On Aug. 27th DGTV(www.discgolftv.com)posted a video of
Mike Randulph winning a playoff for the 4th spot of
the final 4. DGTV had to [censored] out a swear word that
Josh Anthon shouted after missing his putt. This was
in front of a gallery that contained kids.

Were there any actions taken towards this rule
infraction? Keep in mind Randulph had yet to hole
out.

If this were in done in other sports there would be
suspensions and fines. Did Anthon have to forfeit any
of his 5th place winnings, due to breaking a PDGA
rule? Or will we as a Professional organization put
up with this type of behavior at National Tour, Major and C-tier events?

Jeff_Peters
Aug 29 2007, 09:00 PM
Ever never heard the stories from previous worlds in PA and GA about a certain masters player, whose actions then would make this outburst in the heat of competition you describe look very small. Nothing happened to him back then and nothing will happen to that guy now.

ck34
Aug 29 2007, 09:05 PM
PA - Left PDGA competition (not the Master)
GA - 2 year Probation and lost Sponsor
WI - ??

ferretdance03
Aug 29 2007, 11:07 PM
If it's a first offense, wouldn't it be a warning anyway?

Jeff_LaG
Aug 29 2007, 11:34 PM
801.01 Courtesy

B. Players should take care not to produce any distracting noises or any potential visual distractions for other players who are throwing. Examples of discourteous actions are: shouting, <font size=4>cursing</font>, freestyling, slapping course equipment, throwing out of turn, throwing or kicking golf bags, throwing minis, and advancing on the fairway beyond the away player. Shouting at an appropriate time to warn someone in danger of being struck by a disc is not a violation of courtesy.

G. A player violating a courtesy rule may be warned by any affected player, even if from another group, or by an official, with all players of the group advised of the warning. The player shall be assessed one penalty throw for each subsequent courtesy violation of any type in the same round. Repeated violations of courtesy rules may result in disqualification in accordance with section 804.05.

It's my understanding that a PDGA Marshal was on hand and issued a courtesy violation. This was handled exactly as per our Rules. End of story.

dionarlyn
Aug 30 2007, 03:06 AM
Yeah...but what did Anton say/do after he was warned. In my opinion that calls for some type of disciplinarian action.

mr smOOOth
Aug 30 2007, 10:52 AM
If you want gossip go read a tabloid. I'm sure Josh handled himself accordingly after the warning.

JerryChesterson
Aug 30 2007, 11:24 AM
If you want gossip go read a tabloid. I'm sure Josh handled himself accordingly after the warning.

Agreed.

Has anyone ever heard Tiger on the course? You shouldn't have children near him when he's not playing well. F-bomb this, dam it tiger that.

magilla
Aug 30 2007, 12:38 PM

Agreed.

Has anyone ever heard Tiger on the course? You shouldn't have children near him when he's not playing well. F-bomb this, dam it tiger that.

WORD, Tiger is the MOST fined golfer on the PGA Tour because of the F-Bombs he drops after hitting a bad shot :p

T_Hizzle
Aug 30 2007, 02:40 PM
Was this player fined? I have heard of other outbursts by him in the past.

rollinghedge
Aug 30 2007, 02:52 PM
Fined for what? Saying [censored]? I hope not...

DSproAVIAR
Aug 30 2007, 02:59 PM
Was this player fined?

Did you read the rule that was posted?
Obviously a fine was not called for.

junnila
Aug 30 2007, 04:19 PM
I heard that an official told him that he could still be DQ'd even though his tournament was over. His response was, "f that, f this place, f these courses," and so on.

DSproAVIAR
Aug 30 2007, 04:26 PM
G. A player violating a courtesy rule may be warned by any affected player, even if from another group, or by an official, with all players of the group advised of the warning. The player shall be assessed one penalty throw for each subsequent courtesy violation of any type in the same round. Repeated violations of courtesy rules may result in disqualification in accordance with section 804.05.

Wasn't Josh's round over?

rollinghedge
Aug 30 2007, 04:35 PM
Can you be DQ'ed if you're round is finished?

A. A player shall be disqualified by the director for meeting any of the necessary conditions of disqualification as set forth in the rules, or for any of the following:
(1) Unsportsmanlike conduct, such as; loud cursing, throwing things in anger (other than discs in play), or overt rudeness to anyone present
(2) Willful and overt destruction or abuse of plant life, course hardware, or any other property considered part of the disc golf course or the park.
(3) Cheating: a willful attempt to circumvent the rules of play.
(4) Activities which are in violation of the law or park regulation or disc golf course rule, including the illegal consumption of drugs or alcohol. Directors are granted the discretion to disqualify a player based on the severity of the offending conduct. An official warning of disqualification may be issued by a director where appropriate.

B. Disqualified players shall forfeit any prize money and shall not receive a refund of entry fees.

C. A player in violation of any section under 804.05 A is also subject to suspension from the PDGA Tour. Suspension from the PDGA Tour may only be assigned by the PDGA Commissioner. A player may appeal his or her suspension to the PDGA Board of Directors. The determination to suspend, and the length of the suspension, shall be based on the severity of the action and the extent to which the player may have committed repeated violations.

lien83
Aug 30 2007, 04:41 PM
I heard that an official told him that he could still be DQ'd even though his tournament was over. His response was, "f that, f this place, f these courses," and so on.

Thats what I heard from multiple people in the gallery...he was

ck34
Aug 30 2007, 04:41 PM
I can't remember what the penalty was at Pro Worlds 2002 in Houston but a player kicked their bag and maybe swore after they had completed the 18th hole in a round. I'm thinking they ended up with 2-shot penalty and possibly a tournament warning.

the_kid
Aug 31 2007, 12:35 AM
I can't remember what the penalty was at Pro Worlds 2002 in Houston but a player kicked their bag and maybe swore after they had completed the 18th hole in a round. I'm thinking they ended up with 2-shot penalty and possibly a tournament warning.

Yeah that was Leslie Herndon

T_Hizzle
Aug 31 2007, 12:33 PM
With the evolution of video and how it could be used to decide rule infractions, or if someone needs to forfeit money/placement of their finish in tournament play. Could it be used here?

cevalkyrie
Aug 31 2007, 11:55 PM
If the PDGA starts fining our top players for swearing you'll see less and less of them. It's already impossible to keep these guys on the road. It's ashame that our sports best players are not able to tour full time.

denny1210
Sep 01 2007, 01:24 AM
If the PDGA starts fining our top players for swearing you'll see less and less of them. It's already impossible to keep these guys on the road. It's ashame that our sports best players are not able to tour full time.

you're chasing your tail with that logic.

due to fact that our sport can't support enough "professionals" we should lower the bar and not require our "professionals" to act like professionals in order to have more "professionals" in the sport to make us appear more professional.

T_Hizzle
Sep 04 2007, 04:42 PM

So then, you want the touring "Professionals" to be swearing, bagkicking, distracting roadshows?

DSproAVIAR
Sep 04 2007, 05:03 PM

you're chasing your tail with that logic.

due to fact that our sport can't support enough "professionals" we should lower the bar and not require our "professionals" to act like professionals in order to have more "professionals" in the sport to make us appear more professional.

Who said anything about "to make us appear more professional"??
You put words in the man's mouth.
The point of not fining players is so that they can continue to tour.

Jeff_LaG
Sep 04 2007, 05:20 PM
I don't even know why debate over fines is necessary. Our rules already cover the scenario. You curse, you get a courtesy violation. You do it again, you get stroked. Repeated violations of courtesy rules may result in disqualification in accordance with section 804.05.

The Marshal was there and handled the situation exactly according to our rules. End of story.

ferretdance03
Sep 04 2007, 09:23 PM
I don't even know why debate over fines is necessary. Our rules already cover the scenario. You curse, you get a courtesy violation. You do it again, you get stroked. Repeated violations of courtesy rules may result in disqualification in accordance with section 804.05.

The Marshal was there and handled the situation exactly according to our rules. End of story.