shanest
Aug 22 2007, 01:30 AM
For two reasons:

a) I've had a callous at the end of my middle finger for a couple years now from throwing discs.
b) Recently, for some reason, my lower middle knuckle has been getting swollen sometimes after playing disc golf and/or ultimate.

I use a four-finger power grip and have never had the swelling issue until recently. I used to use a fork grip but still developed the callous on the middle finger with that grip.

Why might I be ripping with my middle finger? Is it a bad thing and, if so, how can it be remedied?

Boneman
Aug 22 2007, 12:30 PM
Same thing happens to me. My middle finger is a good 1/2 to 3/4 inch longer than my index finger. I've just tried to focus more on ripping from my index, which works OK, but I still get the callous [on the side of my finger]. I think my callous comes from having to cram my finder under a little more to get the rip back on the index.
I notice this a lot more when I haven't been able to practice a lot for a couple of weeks. But after playing several rounds a week, I get the rip point back to my index finger, and it's OK.

DSproAVIAR
Aug 22 2007, 12:47 PM
Wait a second, is it 'proper' to rip from the index? I actually rip from my ring finger.

Boneman
Aug 22 2007, 01:30 PM
I don't think it matters so much what finger you rip from, but that you always rip from the same point. You can't develop consistent form/technique and control if you rip from different fingers.
More info here: Grip it or rip it (http://discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml#ripvslock)

shanest
Aug 22 2007, 02:30 PM
I was under the impression that it's "proper" to rip from the index finger to get more power. Maybe I'm wrong though...

m_conners
Aug 22 2007, 04:50 PM
I'd like to rip something other than a disc right now.

DSproAVIAR
Aug 22 2007, 05:01 PM
http://www.nationwideparty.com/store/images/89_l.jpg

m_conners
Aug 22 2007, 05:03 PM
You like tossing salad? :D:o:D

dionarlyn
Aug 30 2007, 02:45 AM
Most of the pressure in my grip comes from my ring finger and middle finger pinching into the base of my thumb vs the index and middle finger pinching with the tip of my thumb. What i feel it boils down to is hand shape/flexibilty. The tip of my index finger doesn't actully make contact with the rim like I have seen from some other pros - it puts pressure on the wing, but can't curl all the way around. I still get plenty of distance and control.

dixietom
Sep 03 2007, 03:44 PM
my pain from the middle finger went away when I properly aligned the disc in the crease of my hand. 4 finger power grip, I tried his fork grip but couldnt align the disc straight. like climo says, rolling the disc down the center of your arm and into your hand.

ChrisWoj
Sep 03 2007, 11:18 PM
*shrug* I've got a pencil-eraser size callous on my middle finger and I get 440ish on my longest throws (wow, I can say that without it being MB-Disctance finally) so I don't think that the specific finger makes a difference.

But I will be honest, if you're ripping from your pinky something MIGHT be off.

shanest
Sep 04 2007, 02:41 PM
*shrug* I've got a pencil-eraser size callous on my middle finger and I get 440ish on my longest throws (wow, I can say that without it being MB-Disctance finally) so I don't think that the specific finger makes a difference.

But I will be honest, if you're ripping from your pinky something MIGHT be off.

Same situation for me.

The reason I brought this up is because my middle finger got really swollen and hasnt gone down much in two weeks...very disconcerting and hurting the game mightily.

Sweeper
Sep 07 2007, 10:49 PM
So I read this post and, since I play quite a bit, started looking for where my rip point was. When I was unable to find a callous on any of my fingers, I was left feeling like less of a man.

Luckily for my manhood, I have since realized that my rip point on my index finger is exactly where I have a rather large scar. A scar I got by cutting off a good bit off the side of my finger with a meat slicer. I just thought it was cool that an old injury like that would produce a scar that was exactly where my rip point was.

Ok, for everyone else this was a dumb post, but it was cool to me.

crusher
Sep 08 2007, 11:21 AM
Try using cloth medical tape on it.

I think that my "rip point" as you call it is on my index, middle and ring finger as I always have a little melted plastic on all three after a solid release.

As long as you are not releasing with any flutter, is doesn't really matter where your release comes from.