CRUISER
Jul 30 2007, 04:26 PM
I'm looking for information about proposals to ski resorts on National Forest land. The ski resort I am looking at does not have summer operations. I have checked out the land and a course could go in that would not require lift operations. Can anyone give me advise as well as let me know what kind of obstacles they have faced while dealing with ski resorts and National Forest land?

johnrock
Jul 30 2007, 04:36 PM
Try to connect with the guys from Red River, New Mexico. Mark Martinez (Sitzmark Sports in Red River) has got a lot to say about his dealings with the Forest Service. They have been teetering on the brink of expanding their course for many, many years. It seems the Forest Service keeps coming up with reasons for not allowing it. At one point, they had gotten approval (if I heard correctly) for the expansion, then some knothead cut a/some trees in the wrong spot and the approval got rescinded.

Stressful times for Mark, and he does so much good for Disc Golf in that area

magilla
Jul 30 2007, 04:37 PM
I'm looking for information about proposals to ski resorts on National Forest land. The ski resort I am looking at does not have summer operations. I have checked out the land and a course could go in that would not require lift operations. Can anyone give me advise as well as let me know what kind of obstacles they have faced while dealing with ski resorts and National Forest land?

In Oregon, there are Summer courses at Mt Bachelor, Willamette Pass & Mt Hood Ski Bowl.......

ALL Ski Areas on National Forest Land...........

Ive only been involved in the Mt Bachelor location.......

They have always been VERY receptive and have purchased the equipment themselves this year...for an 18 hole course from 8000' down to 6600' at the base.. :D

Check out this link...<font color="blue"> Mt Bachelor Alpine Disc Golf </font> (http://www.mtbachelor.com/summer/activities/disc_golf/index.html)

CRUISER
Jul 30 2007, 05:05 PM
Thank you. It looks like both of those resorts have summer operations. Is there anyone that has worked with a resort that does not operate in the summer. It seems like this could make the proposal a little more difficult since there isn't really anything in it for them.

Greg_R
Jul 30 2007, 05:21 PM
...this could make the proposal a little more difficult since there isn't really anything in it for them.

Umm.... money? These places are looking for a return on their investment. In the case of state and national facilities, they want the park to be used as much as possible in an eco-friendly manner. Disc Golf is one of the best sports at meeting these requirements. Keeping maintenance costs low is another bonus (perhaps there is a club that can help design and maintain the course). Be aware that you won't be able to cut down trees (except maybe &lt; 1" stuff). The state parks in our area were difficult to deal with until they saw the money that the course was bringing in ($3/car and the course is packed on weekends). Contrast this to 10-15 cars of fisherman or hikers. Disc Golf is also very cheap to put in (vs. tennis or basketball courts or even simple bathrooms). Good luck!

warwickdan
Jul 31 2007, 11:20 AM
Steve Brinster and I just finished the design of 2 courses at the Sugarbush resort in Warren, Vermont. the Base and Peak courses opened for play 4 weeks ago and we held our first event on the courses 2 days ago.

Almost the entire mountain is National Forest Service land. We did have some issues with them, and vice-versa. But for the most part we didn't have deal-breaker issues.

Feel free to buzz me to discuss further. 888-914-9131 in my office during the day....

Dan Doyle
PDGA #310
warwick, NY

CRUISER
Jul 31 2007, 06:32 PM
Thank you, that looks like a great place for a course. Congrats!!!

The ski resort here has nothing operating in the summer so I'm not sure how to approach them since we wouldn't really be adding to existing business.Is there anyone out there that knows of or has heard of a course on a ski resort that has no other summer operations. I would like to contact the resort and the people who got it put in.