eveidel
Jul 11 2007, 11:17 AM
Is there anything you hate more than people that keep talking while you're preparing to make a shot? Or is it me just not focusing enough on the task at hand?

OSTERTIP
Jul 11 2007, 12:36 PM
I could not agree more. I usually try to make a small comment about it and hope they understand and stop. but they never do. Then your only recourse is a courtesy warning. Then stroke them, let it affect them not you.

sschumacher
Jul 11 2007, 12:37 PM
I'm sorry. What did you say?....Someone was talking to me while I was typing this. ;)

Down here in Tulsa we call those people "Talk Show Hosts". You never can shut them up.

mbohn
Jul 11 2007, 12:39 PM
LOL... :DYou need to post this in the Grinds my Gears thread for fun.... But seriously, I think it bothers me, but I just get thru it and politely ask them to be quiet while I am shooting... However, some people seem to be thinking about everything BUT disc golf while in a game or tournament.. They are focused on talking about whatever.... They repeatedly make the blabbing mistake because they just don't care about the game and their mind is somewhere else.... That grinds my gears... :mad:

Thunder3434
Jul 12 2007, 06:21 PM
In practice I do not have a problem with talking in tournaments I don't like it. The things that bothers me more is when people won't stop moving shuffling in their bags or in their pockets or something like that when I'm putting.

Sweeper
Jul 12 2007, 08:48 PM
I have to agree that I don't much care when I'm just out playing. It probably helps that people talk and mess around and walk where you can see them moving when I'm playing. It makes playing in tourneys that much more pleasant. I have to say though that playing with my friends is pretty funny. Our foursome with have a conversation that will stop midsentence when someone gets ready to throw and will continue like nothing happened as soon as the disc is in the air and clear. It would be pretty funny to watch I think.

ChrisWoj
Jul 12 2007, 10:22 PM
Look, we all know we hate people that talk while we shoot. The question is...

What do you think of people that talk a LOT during the round, even if they don't talk while you shoot and are otherwise courteous? Does it ruin your flow? Hurt your game?

Personally, I'm the only person I know that talks MORE when he's playing *on his own 100% alone* than during the tournament/money rounds. (talking to yourself isn't bad until you start talking back!) I give my fellow players a warning at the start of every round, if I am talking too much tell me to tone it down, I take no offense and am aware of how much I talk.

Do guys like me ruin your round? Or does it, for some people, maybe help keep a relaxed atmosphere during play? Keeping in mind that I AM courteous and DO follow courtesy rules on all fronts.

circle_2
Jul 12 2007, 10:29 PM
DISCtractions are only DISCtracting when one misses ~ their line, their putt, their whatever. A bad round seems to have a lot of them. :D

crgadyk
Jul 13 2007, 11:34 AM
I don't mind talkers as long as they are courteous during play. Tracy Rahl is my boy and he is one of the biggest loud mouths I have ever played with but I always have fun during a round with him. I can't wait to see him tomorrow :D

m_conners
Jul 13 2007, 12:47 PM
Blabber mouths can be annoying during play. But what about the players that are totally silent? I can't stand a card that is so seriously silent. It's kind of awkward if you ask me.

twoputtok
Jul 13 2007, 12:57 PM
yea, I hate guys that talk and screw with your head. :mad::D

m_conners
Jul 13 2007, 01:00 PM
yea, I hate guys that talk and screw with your head. :mad::D

You wouldn't know anything about that would you? :D :p

twoputtok
Jul 13 2007, 01:12 PM
Not me.......

http://www.polstore.com/AngelandBird.jpg

crgadyk
Jul 13 2007, 02:00 PM
I played with a group a couple months ago that didn't make a sound the entire round. It was eery that nobody talked at all but me. I played one of the worst rounds of my life that round. For me at least, talking between shots is a good way to get my mind off a bad shot or keep me from getting too worked up. I am a naturally talkative person though so sometimes I have to watch myself at tournaments.

abee1010
Jul 13 2007, 02:39 PM
I like talking when there is down time such as waiting at a tee. I do not like it when players continue to talk as you approach your shots and you have to wait for them to stop talking. That is when the excessive talkers become annoying...

MTL21676
Jul 13 2007, 02:42 PM
I'm usually pretty talkative when I'm playing good and when I'm playing bad I'm pretty silent.

People can always tell how I'm shooting from other groups - lol

DSproAVIAR
Jul 13 2007, 02:43 PM
I try to be supportive and congratulate someone if they make a remarkable shot. Sometimes I talk too much when I'm playing well, but I try to only talk to others that are playing well.

The worst is when I step up to putt, and someone says "nice drive".

riverdog
Jul 13 2007, 03:07 PM
........ But what about the players that are totally silent? I can't stand a card that is so seriously silent. It's kind of awkward if you ask me.

Absolutely, there has to be a balance in there somewhere, but I'd much rather be on a card of jaybirds than on a card of bomb squad engineers..... "We must.... be.... quiet..." /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif :D

phluffhead
Jul 13 2007, 03:14 PM
I'll remember that when you tell me to pipe down on Wednesday. But most of it's jibber jabber anyway.

Mtl you don't even stop between rounds and probably continue while u sleep

riverdog
Jul 13 2007, 03:39 PM
Pipe down Bradley. ;) /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif :D Ooooo, that did kinda feel good. See ya Wednesday brudder BS. Looking forward to it. :cool:

bruce_brakel
Jul 13 2007, 05:42 PM
I try to be supportive and congratulate someone if they make a remarkable shot. Sometimes I talk too much when I'm playing well, but I try to only talk to others that are playing well.

The worst is when I step up to putt, and someone says "nice drive".

So have you changed over the past few years in this regard or am I special? :D I mean, have you grown out of your trash-talking phase, or was it never a phase and just something you saved up for me? :D :) :D:cool:

DSproAVIAR
Jul 13 2007, 05:59 PM
That was not during the round, and only once. You got me back, we're even :D:D

And for the record, I had my losing shoes (http://www.pdga.com/tournament/tournament_results.php?TournID=4411) on that day.

:D

I think winning the cart driving privelages got to my head. ;)

MARKB
Jul 13 2007, 08:07 PM
I used to talk a lot more than I do now but like to strike up conversation during walks to the next hole or waits or walking up fairways.

My belief in the game of golf has always been that you don't need to be focused if your not making a shot and if people don't want to talk they usually say something and I respect that. I do not talk if someone is on the tee or approaching their shot/lie

Golf is a game where you really only have to be focused 30 seconds at a time and in between shots you should try and relax :)

just my .02's

Thunder3434
Jul 14 2007, 03:04 PM
I think people need to stop bitchen and just play the game. You don't see basketball players telling the croud to quite down when shooting free throws or kickers in football. So in my mind you should just block it out and throw the **** disc.

Benefit1970
Jul 16 2007, 01:45 AM
Funny, you were the one who said you didn't want people fumbling in their pockets...

I was lucky to recognize early on that noises will happen, be it from little kids or dogs or airplanes or the players talking/moving. I then realized that I should just ignore them, and not let it affect my rythym, regardless of how loud a noise it is (unless someone fired a gun within a few hundred feet, or something very, very extreme).

Practice ignoring noise during your rounds, and come tournament time you won't think about it anymore.

You can't control what happens, you can only control how you react to it (I know people will now say you CAN control it by telling people to stfu, but it's going to happen at random times from course to course, so it's more reliable to just ignore it).

mikeP
Jul 16 2007, 08:57 AM
I think its funny that many players have dual personalities on the course--one when they are doing well and another when they are struggling. I don't always have the best poker face, but I know so many players who act like jerks when things aren't going their way, and as soon as they get a couple of birds in a row its like they are suddenly your best friend.

ck34
Jul 16 2007, 10:17 AM
Much has been written about how there's nothing like playing a game of golf to get to understand someone. From a pop psychology standpoint, someone who's demeanor swings dramatically based on their disc golf round, may have too much of their self image wrapped up in how their game is going. In other words, maybe they don't have much going on in their lives BUT disc golf, so their self concept is closely tied to disc golf performance. Considering how tough life is on the road for our top pros, it's a wonder more of them don't have stormy personalities when disc golf is truly their life.

Those who have a lot of other positives going on their lives may be more likely to just take disc golf as truly a game and not an extension of their self image. Whether they play poorly or well has no bearing on whether they still are a good person. They can still be very competitive but their results won't make them walk around with a dark cloud or overly exhuberant disposition based on their current game.

How this relates to talking may be that those who are better able to separate the game from their self image may be more likely to talk during a round. Those whose game is an extension of who they are may talk or not depending on how their round is going. This is Dr. Phil Ovit, signing off with today's lesson... :cool:

superberry
Jul 16 2007, 11:05 AM
eeery silence, yeah those rounds SUCK. I can't stand when people aren't talking. I need the jaw-jacking, egging each other on, laughing hysterically when I shank a disc 100mph into a tree 10 feet off the tee. Laughter and fun soothe my nerves and improve my game. Sure I understand it's not for some, and won't do the same to others during a tourney, but I like it myself. Give me a hard time, egg me on, tell me "don't think too hard about that putt", or "that tree up there isn't in the way at all", etc. I love running the Ace Races. I encourage the trash talking and friendly behavior during those rounds - EVERYONE has a great time and keeps coming back. My favorite rounds are always outside of the PDGA iron fist.

eveidel
Jul 17 2007, 01:12 PM
Just proving my point; last night I was participating in our league night. I was in a group of four, when one guy was throwing another guy yelled loudly to a group behind us, about three times in rapid succession. I told the guy who was throwing to rethrow. Point is, where did courtesy go? Then this guy that yelled went to play with the group behind us who werent playing leagues and then the whole rest of the game they were playing their shots right at our feet. what an <font color="blue"> [profanity deleted] </font>

JerryChesterson
Jul 18 2007, 04:22 PM
Then this guy that yelled went to play with the group behind us who werent playing leagues and then the whole rest of the game they were playing their shots right at our feet. what an *****

Here is how you fix that ... when a disc comes at your feet multiple times in a non-PDGA event, you pick it up and fire it right back at them. That is what I do in ball golf and I'll be damned if they ever hit into our group again after that.

lepricon
Jul 19 2007, 01:26 AM
Much has been written about how there's nothing like playing a game of golf to get to understand someone. From a pop psychology standpoint, someone who's demeanor swings dramatically based on their disc golf round, may have too much of their self image wrapped up in how their game is going. In other words, maybe they don't have much going on in their lives BUT disc golf, so their self concept is closely tied to disc golf performance. Considering how tough life is on the road for our top pros, it's a wonder more of them don't have stormy personalities when disc golf is truly their life.

Those who have a lot of other positives going on their lives may be more likely to just take disc golf as truly a game and not an extension of their self image. Whether they play poorly or well has no bearing on whether they still are a good person. They can still be very competitive but their results won't make them walk around with a dark cloud or overly exhuberant disposition based on their current game.

How this relates to talking may be that those who are better able to separate the game from their self image may be more likely to talk during a round. Those whose game is an extension of who they are may talk or not depending on how their round is going. This is Dr. Phil Ovit, signing off with today's lesson... :cool:

This may have been read out of a book or it may have been found on a napkin at the Golden Coral. Who knows it is an assumption.
There are many reasons why someone talks or doesn't talk during a disc golf round or at dinner or during a movie and to assume that someone doesn't have a life outside of disc golf because of how they act during a round is an odd assumption to make.

ck34
Jul 19 2007, 04:47 AM
Not assumptions, but observations. Not just about disc golf but people in all endeavors. If you use your observations to draw global conclusions about a person in advance based on how much they talk, and more importantly, when they talk and how they talk, before getting to know them, that's making assumptions. But if those observations are combined with other information you learn about the person to potentially better understand and communicate with them, then that experience gained from observation becomes a useful tool in human relations.

abee1010
Jul 19 2007, 09:31 AM
Then this guy that yelled went to play with the group behind us who werent playing leagues and then the whole rest of the game they were playing their shots right at our feet. what an *****

Here is how you fix that ... when a disc comes at your feet multiple times in a non-PDGA event, you pick it up and fire it right back at them. That is what I do in ball golf and I'll be damned if they ever hit into our group again after that.

The only problem with that strategy is the fact that many of the individuals that are throwing discs at you are looking for a fight at all times. I have seen this situation play out to an ugly scene on 2 different occasions. I'm out on the course to play golf and have fun, not to teach some punk kid a lesson by fighting him. The only thing throwing a disc back at the person that throws it at you is going to do is instigate. At that point you are both guilty of the same action...

terrycalhoun
Jul 19 2007, 03:00 PM

The only problem with that strategy is the fact that many of the individuals that are throwing discs at you are looking for a fight at all times. I have seen this situation play out to an ugly scene on 2 different occasions. I'm out on the course to play golf and have fun, not to teach some punk kid a lesson by fighting him. The only thing throwing a disc back at the person that throws it at you is going to do is instigate. At that point you are both guilty of the same action...

Pretend to toss it back to them . . . "Here, you can try that again, after we're out of your way" . . . and instead throw it waaaay back past them. It's always someone who can't yet throw very far anyway, so it's easy to do.

I can get away with that easier than most of you guys, though, because kids don't expect me to throw that far and they're not usually looking to pick a fight with a 60-year-old.

tkieffer
Jul 19 2007, 03:16 PM
I can get away with that easier than most of you guys, though, because ..... and they're not usually looking to pick a fight with a 60-year-old.

Except for here of course! ;)

Hope to see you in the upcoming week!

lepricon
Jul 24 2007, 11:04 PM
Not assumptions, but observations. Not just about disc golf but people in all endeavors. If you use your observations to draw global conclusions about a person in advance based on how much they talk, and more importantly, when they talk and how they talk, before getting to know them, that's making assumptions. But if those observations are combined with other information you learn about the person to potentially better understand and communicate with them, then that experience gained from observation becomes a useful tool in human relations.

The observation spoken of would be the persons actions, and the assumption (global conclusion) that was made is that said person has nothing going on in life.

If the observation is used to start a conversation that is fine, but using it to draw a global conclusion is stereotyping someone

ck34
Jul 24 2007, 11:07 PM
Exactly what I said but perhaps that was missed.

Branden
Jul 25 2007, 10:55 PM
i hate when people talk during putting and driving
it really throws me off and i just tell them to be quite

Benefit1970
Jul 27 2007, 03:20 AM
Logic: It's easier to change your reaction to the environment than to change the environment itself.

Application: Just remember that no matter where you play, people will talk. They will give you unwanted advice. They'll say "Ohh, close!" when you'd rather be left alone.

BUT... I figured that I can either tell all of these separate people to please be polite...

Or I can change myself.

It took weeks or maybe a few months, but it feels 'permanent'. I actually almost like when people talk because it gives me a chance to practice ignoring them.

Playing with talkers (whose tempers may flare easily) is great training for keeping level and focused.

Just the unasked-for account of my own experience.

-Brandon

P.S. At the end of the day, I may end up thinking the talkers are insulting and generally not good for the game. I wish they'd stfu. Getting a talker paired with a real quiet guy is a recipe for disaster.

P.P.S. I have interrupted people before

:-(

gnduke
Aug 18 2007, 11:31 AM
I generally join the conversation, and will pause before responding while I throw. Sometimes I don't bother to pause and will respond while throwing, and that always seems to unbalance the talker a little.

Ruder
Aug 18 2007, 11:14 PM
"Nice drive" when someone is 25 feet out.

It is my secret weapon to work people. Apparently not so secret though.

JHBlader86
Aug 19 2007, 01:25 AM
I just think the best way to deal with talkers is to not make them seem like the bad guy. The worst thing you can do is make the accusation that they're the ones ruining your game. Whenever I have a talker all I do is simply turn around, look at them, and simply put my fingers over my mouth or wave my fingers. It's the international symbol for please be quiet and it's non offensive. Most people will recognize that it's time for them to be quiet for a moment, and will do so compliantly. But you never want to just flat out tell someone to be quiet. You will be the one that comes off as rude, and they'll do whatever they can to [censored] you off.

TaylorLipo
Aug 19 2007, 11:25 AM
Just ask Mike Moser how we deals with talkers!!!

LouMoreno
Aug 19 2007, 11:40 PM
Mike Moser, how do you deal with talkers?

rollinghedge
Aug 20 2007, 08:58 AM
He goes postal on them.

jefferson
Aug 20 2007, 09:32 AM
I'm usually pretty talkative when I'm playing good and when I'm playing bad I'm pretty silent.

Much has been written about how there's nothing like playing a game of golf to get to understand someone. From a pop psychology standpoint, someone who's demeanor swings dramatically based on their disc golf round, may have too much of their self image wrapped up in how their game is going. In other words, maybe they don't have much going on in their lives BUT disc golf, so their self concept is closely tied to disc golf performance.

hmmmmmm

cuttas
Aug 20 2007, 01:28 PM
<font color="brown"> Juffman-
If I have to play another round with your loud mouth and bad attitude...I might just call it quits. </font>

bschweberger
Aug 20 2007, 02:03 PM
good times

JerryChesterson
Aug 21 2007, 10:31 AM
Put ipod headphones on and just pretend you are listening to it and ignore them. Then any time you want to talk just talk, they'll assume you have turned your music down to talk and then turn it back up after your done. I do this at work all the time to keep Jerries and Chesters from blabbing my ear off.

Aug 21 2007, 11:51 AM

Much has been written about how there's nothing like playing a game of golf to get to understand someone. From a pop psychology standpoint, someone who's demeanor swings dramatically based on their disc golf round, may have too much of their self image wrapped up in how their game is going. In other words, maybe they don't have much going on in their lives BUT disc golf, so their self concept is closely tied to disc golf performance.

hmmmmmm

now thats Funny!!!!

jefferson
Aug 21 2007, 12:29 PM
<font color="brown"> Juffman-
If I have to play another round with your loud mouth and bad attitude...I might just call it quits. </font>

I know that I have a riputation for this type of behaveor on the corse. But I have been making grate strides lately as far atitude on the coarse and asure you that the olde me in the past. I get 10-20 pms a day telling me how much more better my attitude has been recentlie. Please refrane from bad motuhing image my on this great usefull bored.

btw - i have never been stroked during a round before for curtesy

dome
Aug 21 2007, 01:10 PM
have you ever been stroked on the course before?

bgwvdave
Aug 21 2007, 01:24 PM
ZZ Said Stroke

rhedd
Aug 27 2007, 11:44 PM
I'm gonna call a grammar and spelling violation on juffman, that's 2 strokes.

TheGatewayKid
Sep 12 2007, 05:34 AM
THIS IS NOT A THROWING TECHNIQUE! RON "THE FACTOR" HUSPEN IS A GREAT GUY, NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS.

TheGatewayKid
Sep 12 2007, 05:45 AM
I just think the best way to deal with talkers is to not make them seem like the bad guy. The worst thing you can do is make the accusation that they're the ones ruining your game. Whenever I have a talker all I do is simply turn around, look at them, and simply put my fingers over my mouth or wave my fingers. It's the international symbol for please be quiet and it's non offensive. Most people will recognize that it's time for them to be quiet for a moment, and will do so compliantly. But you never want to just flat out tell someone to be quiet. You will be the one that comes off as rude, and they'll do whatever they can to [censored] you off.

Please don't try to talk golf make golf etiquette suggestions. KevinR and I once witnessed you do one of the most insane things ever during a handicap singles round at Lovers Lane in Bowling Green. Being super anxious to get to your third shot on number 18 you showed complete disregard for the 3 other players on your card. Not that it really matters, being that it wasn't a tournament round or anything, but a player on your card had maybe an 80-100 foot upshot and you were already directly in his line while he was preparing to throw. This is the funny part, instead of moving out of the way for the other player's shot, you very quickly squat, bag, shoulder straps and all into a ball on the ground and wave the player to go ahead and make his shot OVER you. This HAS to be one of the funnier and more ridiculous things I've ever seen. By the way, how does this have ANYTHING to do with Throwing Techniques???

crotts
Sep 12 2007, 01:35 PM
THIS IS NOT A THROWING TECHNIQUE! RON "THE FACTOR" HUSPEN IS A GREAT GUY, NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS.

having played one round with the guy and being nice enough to drive him to the course and then to his hotel afterwards i would disagree. he asked for a ride later that day and I drove off. one of the rudest annoying golfers i've ever been around.

: ) :

TheGatewayKid
Sep 14 2007, 08:32 AM
i just wrote that last post to make dana vicich mad. he loathes the factor. i really don't know what to say about ron. i mean, he obviously ADORES the game and is super, super into it, but there are some very questionable things he does during rounds. I played with him at waterworks at the kc wide open and on the very first hole, right when i was throwing off the tee, a huge branch fell out of a tree like 20 feet in front of us not even a split second after i threw. ron being ron, he thought it was some kind of act of god and collected maybe... 8 small twigs from the branch that had fallen and passed them out to our entire card. if that wasn't strange enough, only minutes later on the same hole, the factor made a difficult outshot and ended up catching his foot on like a nail or something and fell to the ground and was stuck. and not to rag on "20k" more than as needed, because he's just another golfer, and i'm not trying to put him down but the ABSOLUTE highlight of my round and maybe tournament was on the second to last hole at waterworks. it was a relatively tight, 300 foot shot with the pin placed 30 or so to the right and on a hillside. after i threw a pretty decent forehand, ron steps up and throws backhand, which is a very risky shot with the deep woods left. as soon as he throws, and i mean as soon as he releases his tee-bird, he just yells out "MONEY!" and the disc flies perfectly flat and gently anhyzers within 20 feet of the hole. the factor proceeds to 3 putt what was sure to be a relatively easy putt for him. that's a lesson for anyone, don't ever count your chickens before they hatch, or yell "MONEY!" unless you know you're going to ace it. but all in all, he's not the worst of guys, i actually played better because in the back of my mind i wasn't playing the course, i was playing the beat ron, which is never a good thing. if you do ever have to play with him, get over it, it's a part of the game. where would disc golf or any sport be without a player like ron huspen? he's NOTORIOUS!

KevinJohnson
Oct 24 2007, 10:44 PM
Sure playing with talkers is annoying, I had one this weekend during the South Carolina Championships. You just have to get over it though and play YOUR game instead of listening to his. Think of it as a test of your mental strength! The better you can ignore a talker in your group, the better your chances of staying focused and nailing some great shots in the clutch.

mikeP
Oct 25 2007, 09:11 AM
Figure out who the talker in your group is early on and make sure that you establish yourself as a "quiet player" early on in the round. This is accomplished by maintaining your poker face through thick and thin. Many players make the mistake of engaging the talker even once after they execute a couple of good shots. After this they become the talker's main focus for the rest of the round and possibly the tournament. It is kind of amusing to see a talker in a group where everyone avoids engagement. One time everyone in my group ignored the known talker and he actually started talking to himself out loud, giving a play-by-play of his decisions and thought processes. Still annoying, but at least no single person had the the talker doing play-by-play of his round!

m_conners
Oct 25 2007, 04:19 PM
Just ask Mike Moser how we deals with talkers!!!

I've heard he can be a real gentleman on the course....NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Says a lot about you as a person when people half way across the country know your a jerk on the course.

Sharky
Oct 26 2007, 09:36 AM
I've seen Moser play a lot of golf and don't think he acts like a jerk on the course. He is a player who generally does not talk a lot out there and he is very focused. Also he does not tolerate distractions if there is a distraction he will step away and ask for the person to move, or stop moving, or stop talking whatever the distraction is then proceed to play (very well). He holds spectators and others on his card to a high standard of golf etiquette.

Ruder
Oct 31 2007, 09:12 PM
In my opinion it is worse to play with people who say nothing the whole round. I'd rather play with the R Factor than that.

mikeP
Nov 01 2007, 08:45 AM
In my opinion it is worse to play with people who say nothing the whole round. I'd rather play with the R Factor than that.

I agree. Disc golf is a social sport and if someone is so inside their own head that they don't pay attention or react whatsoever to what other people on the card are doing, I feel it is a bit negative. Also, some people are just quiet, but still attentive and content. Others may not be social, but their non-verbals are anything but polite.

jnolte
Dec 21 2007, 03:56 AM
you are right about disc golf being social, but i believe tournament disc golf has become exactly the opposite. i rarely say much about my own game during a round but occasionally like to find out players' thought processes after a great shot. can a complement really be offensive? several times it has been, i guess because acknowledging another person breaks their bubble of intensity.

travisgreenway
Dec 21 2007, 12:51 PM
Hi........

My Name is T-Dogg.........and I'm a TALKER.....wow I feel beter now. :D

ITS A GAME :o:D

All other PRO's in ALL other sports talk and mostly SMACK....go to an event and really listen...they are all laughing and being serious at the same time but those guys Tiger, Phil, VJ.....all talk to each other.

Lighten up have a little fun it MAY improve your game or at least the experience :cool: