Sweeper
Jul 10 2007, 01:24 PM
I'm just getting to where I can really throw my drives. I am having some trouble with disks slipping through my fingers and not getting a good snap. I have a golf towel I use to wipe the dust and dirt off, but it still collects on my fingers. I have kinda small hands so grip is important.

What are my options other than licking/pouring water on my fingers and wiping them on my shorts? Is there something like a rosin bag that pitchers use that DGers have? Something I can keep in my pocket maybe?

Also I've found that I get much better grip on a couple of U2s (lightening). Does anyone else find that that composition of the disks gives them more grip? It feels strange and sounds even stranger when I hit trees, but I get really snap them.

Thanks!

Aaron

readysetstab
Jul 10 2007, 02:29 PM
a lot of disc golfers use rosin. there's not a special kind. same stuff that pitchers use.

i'm guessing you use mostly champion plastic, because that problem doesn't come up a lot with other plastics. if you just grip the disc really tight you shouldn't have the problem anyway, and it's actually better to have a tight grip to help your snap so the disc really rips out of your hand. you might not have the arm speed for that right now though. try lighter weight discs and see if that helps.

Sweeper
Jul 10 2007, 02:56 PM
Yeah, my arm speed is still prolly pretty poor. I have recently developed a good run-up and am throwing RHBH up to about 270'-280' with some consistancy. I can throw a FH about 300'
and often more, but I think everyone can do that. I'll look into rosin (sporting good store?) I do have the most trouble with champion plastic, but there are alot of trees on the front 9 of the course I play on and my disks get beat up a lot.

Thanks for the info!

A

circle_2
Jul 10 2007, 03:08 PM
I had the same slipping-grip problem... I was wiping my brow and getting some 'sweat/oil' on my throwing hand. By wearing a hat/visor every time I play - solved the problem for me.
Sunscreen would likely cause a similar phenomenon.

twoputtok
Jul 10 2007, 03:31 PM
If you have any sweat or oil problems or just dealing with the humidity, this stuff works great.

http://www.dryhands.com/images/box.gif

I learned of it at Am Worlds last year and immediately bought two cases of it. A bottle will last several rounds, even with re-applying it during the round. ;)

davei
Jul 10 2007, 03:39 PM
Yeah, my arm speed is still prolly pretty poor. I have recently developed a good run-up and am throwing RHBH up to about 270'-280' with some consistancy. I can throw a FH about 300'
and often more, but I think everyone can do that. I'll look into rosin (sporting good store?) I do have the most trouble with champion plastic, but there are alot of trees on the front 9 of the course I play on and my disks get beat up a lot.

Thanks for the info!

A

Rock rosin is the right stuff.

the_kid
Jul 10 2007, 04:11 PM
I use tack cloth. It is used for taking dust of wood (after sandin and stuff) and comes in a big sheet 18in x 36in and costs less than $2. It lasts a long time too (I've had one in my bag since march and only used about 1/3 of it). Its also really good in the rain when used with a birdie bag.

It doesn't make your hands too sticky and just gives you that grip you need.

hallp
Jul 12 2007, 11:49 AM
i agree with matt about the birdie bag although i havent tried the other stuff hes talkin about!!! i know im not 1000 rated player but in the year that i have played dg i have found out that licking your fingers on kc pro and star plastic are the best way get a good grip on the discs. hope that helps a little

discette
Jul 12 2007, 12:19 PM
i agree with matt about the birdie bag although i havent tried the other stuff hes talkin about!!! i know im not 1000 rated player but in the year that i have played dg i have found out that licking your fingers on kc pro and star plastic are the best way get a good grip on the discs. hope that helps a little

You can get tack cloth at any hardware store.

If you play on courses frequented by geese or dogs, I wouldn't recommend licking your fingers, unless you really do like the taste of goosepoop.

Also, what happens if you get poison ivy on your tongue?

twoputtok
Jul 12 2007, 12:38 PM
You'll look funny trying to scratch it. :D

markpeterson
Jul 13 2007, 12:18 AM
I drilled a hole in my fav driver and hooked up an equilizer to it with a large washer on it so the knot wouldn't pull through the disc. Put the band through the top.It works great for grip, straight line pull practice, and muscle reps. Don't use to much tension ,it'll make your elbow hurt. I have never tried it with a sidearm throw. Shark

mcmelk
Jul 13 2007, 12:39 AM
several rounds??heck-dry hands lasted me the season and i don't think I am too the body of the bottle and i hand it out like haloween...one drop is plenty per ap. i have a birdie bag...not a big fan...

Alacrity
Jul 14 2007, 09:27 AM
You might also consider getting a hand exerciser. This can easily be kept in your car and used anytime you drive someplace. They will increase gripping strength in a short amount of time.