gdstour
Jul 09 2007, 07:52 PM
Normally by this time there has been talk about who is eligible and in the running for Rookie of the Year!

Of course one of the reasons I am posting this is to nominate Gateway Team Member Nikko Locastro, who has done quite well since turning pro after last years am worlds.

I am interested in seeing some stats and/or the nominations for other players who are also eligible for this award to see how they compare!

here is the link to Nikkos pdga stats.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=11534
[P]

He has went from about 960 to 1003 since turning pro and I'm pretty sure his rating will go up again, maybe closer to 1010 or even higher!

ChrisWoj
Jul 09 2007, 08:58 PM
Nikko can also be nominated for Best Hair.

cbdiscpimp
Jul 09 2007, 09:47 PM
Im pretty sure that Nikko took cash before Pro Worlds last year so he does not qualify for the 2007 ROY nominations or race.

gdstour
Jul 09 2007, 10:10 PM
Are the rules for ROY posted somewhere?

Nikko did take cash at Atlanta the week before pro worlds after turning down money at 3 pro events before am worlds.
That would be a shame as it seems natural to turn pro after am worlds. this really cant be the rule as it could really only happen at 1 or 2 events!

gdstour
Jul 09 2007, 10:13 PM
Nikko just told me he asked several top players before taking the money and they told him it didn't matter that RoY started after am worlds, which seems pretty logical if you think about it!!

ck34
Jul 09 2007, 10:24 PM
The vote for 2006 ROY and other awards was completed a while back. If you take cash before Am Worlds, that's your Rookie Year. If you take cash after Am Worlds, then the following year is your Rookie Year.

jmonny
Jul 09 2007, 10:26 PM
Im pretty sure that Nikko took cash before Pro Worlds last year so he does not qualify for the 2007 ROY nominations or race.

The cutoff is Am Worlds not Pro Worlds, so he should qualify according to his stats.

NC had a strong rookie contention in Logan Sheets #23780. Since Nov '06 he's cashed in 11 of 14 events for over $1,200 dollars and a win at the Sanford Slinger.

MTL21676
Jul 09 2007, 10:52 PM
Nikko should win by a landslide.

gdstour
Jul 10 2007, 12:02 AM
Nikko's setting on $5,488.00 earnings since pro worlds last year counting 3rd place this past weekend in Louisville.
I'm guessing all of his events have been turned in by now and hes still going to the Mid-America and Brent Hambrick.
Hopefully he will eclipse $6K.

He has 3 wins (All C tiers) and 3 - top 4 's in A tiers.

Are there any other nominees?

readysetstab
Jul 10 2007, 08:58 AM
i really don't think anyone can compete with what nikko has done this year. no other rookies have improved as much and no other rookies are consistantly placing so high in every event. it's pretty incredible. i could be bias having been to several of the tournaments that nikko has played, but i can't imagine a better first year.

ck34
Jul 10 2007, 09:02 AM
The ROY is based on calendar year stats as a pro, not 12 months from Am Worlds to Am Worlds. ROY candidate stats for 2006 only includes events from January thru the end of December 2006. That's why serious ROY candidates need to turn pro after the previous Am Worlds so they get a whole year of stats. Those who accept cash right before Am Worlds only get less than 6 months of stats that count. Nothing he's done in 2007 was considered. I think candidates for 2006 awards were featured in an earlier DGW this year.

schick
Jul 10 2007, 09:44 AM
I would say Nikko has it hands down as well. Great improvement over the last year!

If there was an award for the most F bombs in a round, he would win that hands down too! :D:p

xterramatt
Jul 10 2007, 09:46 AM
It does seem odd that it's a calendar year and not a "Fiscal" year. It would make more sense if it started the week after Am Worlds and ended 52 weeks later... but then that would be hard to vote on for Pro Worlds....

ck34
Jul 10 2007, 09:49 AM
All other stats are tracked on a calendar year basis so it's no different to do ROY that way.

norcaldave
Jul 10 2007, 12:01 PM
Well I would like to mention my friend Dallas Albright. He played his first PDGA tourny back in Sept. 2006 and has been playing on the PDGA for 10 months now(including this month of July). I don't really understand the ROY rules but Dallas Albright has been one of the new guys up here in northern California. Since he is not sponsored and doesn't have the funds to really travel like the rest of the top pros he mainly is playing northern California (though talking to him he really wants to travel and play other courses / meet other people) here is his stats.

Dallas Albright #31173

Marshall Street Pro ratings (6/26/07)
http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/discgolfinfo_ranking_2007.html
Ranked #35

2007 Marshall Street Player of the Year
http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/discgolfinfo_ranking_6.html
Ranked #22

PDGA Pro Open rating (national)
http://www.pdga.com/player_ratings.php?offset=10&division=MPO&order=ra ting
Ranked #54

PDGA Pro Open rating (califorina)
http://www.pdga.com/player_ratings.php
Ranked #10

On PDGA's last rating update(6/26) PDGA did not factor in 3 current tournys That he has placed. The tournys are

5th Annual "Steady Ed" Birthday Memorial (B) Lakeport, CA Sat-Sun, Jun 9-10, 2007
http://www.pdga.com/tournament/tournament_results.php?TournID=6748#Open
PLACE = 3rd

King of the Lake (C) S. Lake Tahoe, CA Sat, Jun 23, 2007
http://www.pdga.com/schedule/event.php?TournID=6661
PLACE = 1st

Tahoe Pro/Am S. Lake Tahoe, CA Classification: Pro-Am
Sat-Sun, Jul 7-8, 2007
http://www.pdga.com/schedule/event.php?TournID=6663

PLACE = 2nd ( Nate Doss placed 3rd :D)

on the Norcalseries tour his place (not up to date)
http://www.norcalseries.com/2007/points.htm
Place = 1rst

So I don't really know if Dallas qualifies for ROY, but he sure is a player to mention. any feed backs?

ck34
Jul 10 2007, 12:15 PM
Dallas will be up for ROY consideration next spring for his 2007 season going from January 2007 thru December 2007 since he turned pro after Am worlds in 2006.

ChrisWoj
Jul 10 2007, 02:12 PM
Chuck - Are you trying to say Nikko isn't qualified for this 2007 season, for voting once next spring comes around? Because I think that that is what everybody here thinks is that he is.

the_kid
Jul 10 2007, 02:18 PM
Chuck - Are you trying to say Nikko isn't qualified for this 2007 season, for voting once next spring comes around? Because I think that that is what everybody here thinks is that he is.

No Nikko is eligible but only his stats from the 07' season will count and not the Pro events he played in the time from 06' AM worlds to Dec 31 06'. Basically you get a couple of "free" months but in his case it hurts him because he played good in those months.

kellerthedog
Jul 10 2007, 02:57 PM
BRENT KOONTZ should be up for consideration

DSproAVIAR
Jul 10 2007, 04:34 PM
If he was touring he would be a prime candidate. Not bad tho for sticking around IN.
http://www.pdga.com/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=24900

$1,333 in 07
Missed cash once out of 11 events at Bowling Green.
5 2nd's
8 top 5's
10 top 10's (out of 11 events)

mbohn
Jul 10 2007, 04:53 PM
Dallas is playing awesome and deserves mention! He also won at the KOA Jam edging out John Child by stroke....Before he became a rated player, he placed 2nd at the NorCal Series Championships where John Child beat him in a playoff....

norcaldave
Jul 10 2007, 05:42 PM
ohh ya i forgot dallas placed 2nd at the norcal championship series in 2006 right before he started in the PDGA. thats sweet thanks senior for the input.

mbohn
Jul 10 2007, 06:03 PM
No problemo.... Dallas almost had Barsby this weekend. It was close... Nate made a great come back too... Those guys all shot excellent and that course was set up extra long on Sunday! Too bad they dropped the final nine, it would have been awesome to watch them battle it out!

wisenheimer
Jul 10 2007, 07:31 PM
someone mentioned that i might b eligble for roy candidate, is there a proper way to sign up. this is my first year pro, 6 out of my 8 events i have finished in the top 6 mostly behind johnny, kenny, and gg. my first a tier was melbourne finishing 4th tied w/ geoff bennett, and 1 off of cale leiviska,(super cool golfers) its been a fun first half of the year and im very lucky to git to learn from such great players. the only thing missing from this year would b a win.

ck34
Jul 10 2007, 07:56 PM
You don't have to sign up. The PDGA knows who the new rookies are by when they take cash and convert from am to pro. They can search the database at the end of the year to find the candidates who had the best stats and they are up for ROY voting.

gdstour
Jul 10 2007, 09:00 PM
I guess I'm confused now.
Nikko will be eligible for his 2007 stats?

I remember when the season went form worlds to worlds, seemed to make a lot more sense that way!

ck34
Jul 10 2007, 09:02 PM
You having early 90s flashbacks, Dave? I believe tour year has been calendar since before 1995.

rob
Jul 11 2007, 09:48 AM
Dave, don't worry about the flashbacks. Chuck has them all the time about old rules :)

ck34
Jul 11 2007, 12:05 PM
Dave's too young to have those. Me on the other hand... :)

xterramatt
Jul 11 2007, 12:24 PM
I think what is being used for the ROY standings is a full calendar year of pro play, the year that you first take cash as a Pro. So if Nikko took cash after Am Worlds, that period to the end of 2006 would be his Rookie Year. Had he turned pro in January, he'd have 12 months to work on his "campaign".

I think it should be a fiscal year, where the year begins and ends 1 month BEFORE am and Pro Worlds, giving players time to review their stats and then voting would happen early in the week at Worlds, and the trophy would be present, but maybe not inscribed, for presentation.

This makes it a more current award than having the season end at the end of the year... More players in all divisions go to Worlds than any other event, so that should sorta be the culmination of the PDGA awards. my .02.

the_kid
Jul 11 2007, 12:49 PM
I think what is being used for the ROY standings is a full calendar year of pro play, the year that you first take cash as a Pro. So if Nikko took cash after Am Worlds, that period to the end of 2006 would be his Rookie Year. Had he turned pro in January, he'd have 12 months to work on his "campaign".

I think it should be a fiscal year, where the year begins and ends 1 month BEFORE am and Pro Worlds, giving players time to review their stats and then voting would happen early in the week at Worlds, and the trophy would be present, but maybe not inscribed, for presentation.

This makes it a more current award than having the season end at the end of the year... More players in all divisions go to Worlds than any other event, so that should sorta be the culmination of the PDGA awards. my .02.

Matt the time from AM worlds to Jan 1 is a free zone and his rookie year stats are based on his 07' stats. Why speculate when people are answering the question on when the rookie year starts.

I do think that the time from AM worlds to jan 1 should count as well though.

cgoodwin
Jul 11 2007, 01:21 PM
Matt the time from AM worlds to Jan 1 is a free zone and his rookie year stats are based on his 07' stats. Why speculate when people are answering the question on when the rookie year starts.

I do think that the time from AM worlds to jan 1 should count as well though.

Exactly, I think the combination of varing posts & speculation was making it confusing. As I understand it and Chuck stated earlier Dallas & Nikko will both be strong candidates for the 2007 ROY as they both accepted cash just after AM Worlds in 2006. IMO the award should be based on a calendar year but when you accept cash to be qualified could definately be debated.

xterramatt
Jul 11 2007, 01:55 PM
Yeah, it's tough to say when you rookie year starts. Sorry, I didn't catch the freeze zone comment after Am Worlds through the end of the year.

Sug
Jul 12 2007, 03:14 AM
Dallas Albright will win ROY for 2007 when it's awarded next year. He needs to figure out how to get into USDGC too.

m_conners
Jul 12 2007, 12:38 PM
Nikko is by far the favorite right now.

Dana
Jul 12 2007, 01:18 PM
Nikko or Steve Mills- it's a tossup

accidentalROLLER
Jul 12 2007, 01:20 PM

LMAO, only if you're steve's mom!

mbohn
Jul 12 2007, 03:03 PM
I'm with you Sug.... Dallas has the game.....

PS..This what is left for Qualifiers....

Brent Hambrick Memorial
Columbus, OH - July 21 & 22

Marshall Street DG Championship
Leicester, MA -Aug 18 & 19

West Virginia Open
Paw Paw, WV - Sept 1 & 2

Southern National Championships
Mobile, AL - Sept 1 & 2

Or...If he could get to NC, he play Individual qualifying rounds on monday before the event....
The five (5) lowest rounds get in.

the_kid
Jul 12 2007, 03:08 PM
I'm with you Sug.... Dallas has the game.....

PS..This what is left for Qualifiers....

Brent Hambrick Memorial
Columbus, OH - July 21 & 22

Marshall Street DG Championship
Leicester, MA -Aug 18 & 19

West Virginia Open
Paw Paw, WV - Sept 1 & 2

Southern National Championships
Mobile, AL - Sept 1 & 2

Or...If he could get to NC, he play Individual qualifying rounds on monday before the event....
The five (5) lowest rounds get in.

Actually he only has the 1st three left because to play the SNPC you must have played 1 SN event.

the_kid
Jul 12 2007, 03:08 PM
Isn't worlds a qualifier????

mbohn
Jul 12 2007, 04:19 PM
Actually yes... They are called Global Qualifiers....

British Open Colchester, England March 9-11, 2007
Japan National Championships Tochigi, Nasu Highlands Japan June 15 & 16, 2007
Skelleftea Open Skelleftea, Sweden July 7 & 8, 2007
PDGA Pro World Championships Highbridge, Wisconsin USA August 1-5, 2007
European Disc Golf Open Tampere, Finland August 24-26, 2007

The top 5 get in.....

Also.... PDGA State and National Coordinators can select one competitor to represent their state or country for the 2007 US Championship.

cbdiscpimp
Jul 12 2007, 08:55 PM

LMAO, only if you're steve's mom!

You dont even know my mom and I already know im not in the running for ROY and if I were you I wouldnt be talking cuz your rated 921 and have alot of ground to cover and stats to post before you can talk crap about me my mom OR my game!!! So Id stick to practicing not typing if you want to talk smack about me!!!

accidentalROLLER
Jul 12 2007, 09:21 PM
Geez millz, take a joke. I'll get to practicing as soon as I get my knee surgery and rehab. My rating probably would be higher, but its hard to shoot well playing tourneys with a torn ACL.

cbdiscpimp
Jul 12 2007, 10:12 PM
Geez millz, take a joke. I'll get to practicing as soon as I get my knee surgery and rehab. My rating probably would be higher, but its hard to shoot well playing tourneys with a torn ACL.

My bad man im a little touchy ever since I turned pro

accidentalROLLER
Jul 12 2007, 10:14 PM
My bad man im a little touchy ever since I turned pro

Why is that?

ChrisWoj
Jul 13 2007, 12:58 AM
I think thats what happens when one turns pro. I've noticed it in quite a few former Ams. I call it Probitchitis, highly contagious.

Sug
Jul 13 2007, 02:24 AM
Dallas in my opinion is a more solid player but he's got to play some bigger tourneys!! Wait, don't the touring players vote on this stuff?? Any touring player that has seen Dallas play knows. And if they had the choice, Dallas would get ROY. :D
His thumber is just too big! He even says it himself.

the_kid
Jul 13 2007, 12:36 PM
So he is a cheater? I hat playing with guys that use a thumber on a lot of holes and can get easy birdies while everyone else has to throw a great shot to ghet a duece. IDK it bugs me to play with someone that you can throw better backhands but they make up 3 strokes because of a thumber.

Of course they are cheaters I just have a bum left shoulder. Luckily I throw RHBH. :D

BTW I don't know how you can say he has a better game than Nikko. Dallas' rating is higher but he hasn't been a member as long while Nikko on the otherhand was rated 930 1.5 years ago and is still getting rid of his bad rounds from when he was an AM.

m_conners
Jul 13 2007, 12:41 PM
Dallas in my opinion is a more solid player but he's got to play some bigger tourneys!! Wait, don't the touring players vote on this stuff?? Any touring player that has seen Dallas play knows. And if they had the choice, Dallas would get ROY. :D

Your entitled to your opinion...but have you seen Nikko play? I doubt Dallas is better than Nikko, maybe just as good but not better. Nikkos stats say it all.

the_kid
Jul 13 2007, 12:53 PM

Your entitled to your opinion...but have you seen Nikko play? I doubt Dallas is better than Nikko, maybe just as good but not better. Nikkos stats say it all.

I wouldn't go that far Connors. I wouldn't be suprised if Dallas is better than Nikko but to say one is better when you don't know to much about the other is well.......dumb.

Nikko is good but he does have the rollercoater effect a lot.

accidentalROLLER
Jul 13 2007, 12:58 PM
It'll be hard to win rookie of the year when you never left your state. Nikko traveled to different parts of the country, played different competition, different climates, etc. and has managed to win more money against better competition and has 1100 more points. Plus, as Matt said, Nikko's rating is jumping fast while Dallas's is dropping. I'm sure a huge deciding factor will be Worlds and USDGC.

m_conners
Jul 13 2007, 12:59 PM
Youre right he does have tournament head from time to time...but their is no doubt the skillz are there.

I'm sure Dallas deserves to be in the mix but Nikko hit more tour events than he has this year. It's kind of hard to compete for ROY when you are not on the road hitting up NT's.

the_kid
Jul 13 2007, 01:11 PM
It'll be hard to win rookie of the year when you never left your state. Nikko traveled to different parts of the country, played different competition, different climates, etc. and has managed to win more money against better competition and has 1100 more points. Plus, as Matt said, Nikko's rating is jumping fast while Dallas's is dropping. I'm sure a huge deciding factor will be Worlds and USDGC.

Wait Dallas' rating isn't dropping! C'mon man he was 1013 and now 1010. Whoopdeeedoooo I was just saying that Nikko's rating is lagging behind because he has a lot of rounds in his rating from when he was an AM. Once he drops Am worlds he will get another big jump.

norcaldave
Jul 13 2007, 04:09 PM
It is hard to determine who gets the ROY until the end of the year. Both Nikko and Dallas are two great contenders for the award. Nikko and Dallas are both doing great in PDGA. Looking at Nikko's stats, he is trying to hit up as many tournaments as he can and it shows. Nikko has been placing extremely well in all of his tournaments with a fantastic finish at the Minnesota Majestic. Looking at Dallas's stats, he is confining himself to his area of tournament play (primarily Northern California). It looks like Nikko has been playing in the PDGA for about 5 years, with this year being his pro year. This in turn shows why Nikko is hitting up all the tournaments. His past exp. with the PDGA has shown him where to go and play to maximize his PDGA professional career. Dallas on the other hand has only been playing in the PDGA for 10 months (less than 1 year). Talking to Dallas,he really doesn't have the exp. and knowledge of where the best tournaments are. Likewise he(Dallas) is trying his best to hit up the tournaments around his area and is competing the the www.norcalseries.com (http://www.norcalseries.com) . The Norcal series is a tuff tournement of disc golf with many great top of the world contenders in it. In the Norcal series Dallas is ranked #1 in the professional division with players such as John Child, Josh Anthon, Steve Rico,Nate Doss, Kyle Crabtree and Gregg Barsby to name a few. http://www.norcalseries.com/2007/points.htm

Its tuff to say on paper who is better / who gets the ROY. My buddy Dallas just beat Nate Doss(rated 1031 and #1 in the world on Marshall street rating) in Tahoe the other weekend. http://www.pdga.com/schedule/event.php?TournID=6663
What rookie has ever done that in the PDGA? Only being in the PDGA for 10 months and he already has a better placing in a tournment than the #1 disc golfer in the world(according to http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/discgolfinfo_ranking_2007.html )
Anyways flame on! :D If Nikko keeps it up hitting all the tournys he very well might be the favorite to win the ROY. Who knows who will win it, but one thing is for shure, both Nikko and Dallas are doing great this year.

the_kid
Jul 13 2007, 04:46 PM
I will say that a lot of people could have beaten Nate at Tahoe as he didn't play so hoTT. Heck I averaged higher than Nate at the tournament I played last weekend and that was over 4 rounds.

norcaldave
Jul 13 2007, 04:58 PM
???????????????????????????????
1)out of 141 players in the tahoe tournament, only 7 players played under par, but im sure u would of placed better than Nate :P
2) tahoe was set up extremely hard.

the_kid
Jul 13 2007, 05:04 PM
I'm just saying that Nate didn't play his usual and if he did he probably would have won the tournament. It really doesn't matter because Dallas still beat him but that shouldn't decide who gets ROY.

cbdiscpimp
Jul 13 2007, 07:19 PM
So he is a cheater? I hat playing with guys that use a thumber on a lot of holes and can get easy birdies while everyone else has to throw a great shot to ghet a duece. IDK it bugs me to play with someone that you can throw better backhands but they make up 3 strokes because of a thumber.

Of course they are cheaters I just have a bum left shoulder. Luckily I throw RHBH. :D

BTW I don't know how you can say he has a better game than Nikko. Dallas' rating is higher but he hasn't been a member as long while Nikko on the otherhand was rated 930 1.5 years ago and is still getting rid of his bad rounds from when he was an AM.

Stop crying and learn to throw an overhand!!! Its a skilled shot like any other and dont be mad cuz you cant throw one!!! :D:D:D

mbohn
Jul 13 2007, 07:52 PM
Dallas has one huge thumber shot! I was following him and his friends group last weekend at the Pro/Am during practice, and saw the thumber he threw on hole 9 in the long position... It was sick! it cleared everything! :eek:

I bet if someone was playing against him and they didn't have that shot and he parks a hole you couldn't dream of parking you would feel sick too...... :(

deathbypar
Jul 14 2007, 10:35 PM
So the only thing that we can agree on is that Nikko definately takes the award for most F Bombs in one round. :D

Sug
Jul 14 2007, 11:56 PM
Really?

denny1210
Jul 15 2007, 12:59 AM
My buddy Dallas just beat Nate Doss(rated 1031 and #1 in the world on Marshall street rating) in Tahoe the other weekend. http://www.pdga.com/schedule/event.php?TournID=6663
What rookie has ever done that in the PDGA? Only being in the PDGA for 10 months and he already has a better placing in a tournment than the #1 disc golfer in the world

The 2003 Hall of Fame Classic (http://www.pdga.com/tournament/tournament_results.php?TournID=3484#Open) was a pretty hot tournament for the ROY, Dagon Owen. First week out on the road and he came in 2nd place at an NT, beating 15 1000+ rated players in the process!

TravisGrindle12
Jul 15 2007, 10:33 AM
Has Nikkos attitude and sportsmanship improved this year? Although very impressed with his athletic ability and I was not impressed at all with his attitude in Tulsa last year.

Sug
Jul 15 2007, 08:56 PM
He's a kid. He'll learn.

the_kid
Jul 15 2007, 10:39 PM
Has Nikkos attitude and sportsmanship improved this year? Although very impressed with his athletic ability and I was not impressed at all with his attitude in Tulsa last year.

I wasn't impressed about the other players on his card targeting him and looking for any reason to get him kicked out.........

gdstour
Jul 16 2007, 12:05 AM
Nikko won over Justin, George, Boro and a few other 1000 rated players this weekend in the B-Tier in Columbia and $725.00 cash. His total money earned for the year is climbing as is his ratings. The ratings shouldn't even be a factor for ROY though, regardless of who ends up higher.
As players on here are well aware, the ratings still need some tweaking before they are legit.
There should be a ranking done by the pdga, which in my opinion would be much better and drive more competition.

Head to head could be one tie breaker for ROY if its close, but most likely the only chance for that between Nikko and Dallas will be worlds and one event isn't really enough.

I guess since the ROY season last's until the end of the year, theres a lot of golf left to decide, maybe someone else will have a killer 2nd 1/2 of the season??

Most likely Nikko will hit at least 8-10 more events, including Brent Hambrick, Pro Worlds , USDGC and Players Cup.

BTW,,,,
I have talked to Dallas a few times over the past few weeks ( before this thread started) and didn't even realize he was a rookie. He sounds like a pretty cool kid and from what I hear is also a great player. I may even help Dallas get to pro worlds, if he can get someone to drive with, If not maybe his agent can help us look for a cheap flight for him!! :D:cool:

deathbypar
Jul 16 2007, 03:05 AM

I wasn't impressed about the other players on his card targeting him and looking for any reason to get him kicked out.........

I think that it is called a warning and then a penalty...not targeting.

tyson99duke
Jul 16 2007, 02:08 PM
Honarable Mention:

Halton Smith just got his 2nd NC win this year...Good player with tough competition.

the_kid
Jul 16 2007, 02:25 PM

I think that it is called a warning and then a penalty...not targeting.

Yeah but getting warned for something that others on the card have done is kinda lame considering none of those guys were warned.

poisonelf
Jul 16 2007, 02:58 PM
I thought Geoff Bennett was an obvious choice

deathbypar
Jul 16 2007, 03:26 PM
Whatever, we all know the truth about his attitude and sportsmanship...don't even try to hide it.

poisonelf
Jul 16 2007, 03:38 PM
Post deleted by poisonelf

the_kid
Jul 16 2007, 03:44 PM
Whatever, we all know the truth about his attitude and sportsmanship...don't even try to hide it.

He does have a bad attitude but he isn't a bad sportsman. I have spent a lot of time with Nikko and he's a nice guy and when he gets [censored] it is at himself not anyone else. There are guys on tour that are worse............

rollinghedge
Jul 16 2007, 03:45 PM
Landon,

Jake wasn't replying to your post. Additionally, Bennet's rookie season was the prior year.

Cheers

poisonelf
Jul 16 2007, 03:56 PM
Ahh my mistake and thanks for the info. I still don't know who got last years ROY

ck34
Jul 16 2007, 03:59 PM
ROY for 2006 is awarded at Pro Worlds on Wed night Aug 1 at the Awards banquet.

cornhuskers9495
Jul 16 2007, 04:49 PM

Let me be the first to say, Congratulations Adam Olsen.

readysetstab
Jul 16 2007, 10:56 PM
i know someone has already mentioned how well nikko did this past weekend, but i just looked at the round ratings.... wow. mid america open. his worst round was rated 1023

the_beastmaster
Jul 17 2007, 10:44 AM
Ahh my mistake and thanks for the info. I still don't know who got last years ROY

It'll be announced at the Pro Worlds banquet in a couple of weeks.

Jul 18 2007, 11:19 PM
Nikko and Dallas are both great players and I am sure it will be a tight race to ROY 2007, I was wondering though.. Why Paul Ulibarri hasn't even been mentioned as a possibility, I guess nothing can really be said yet because there are still 3 Major events to be played. I would also like to see my son Cory Sharp as a possibility for ROY as well. He is playing very well and has improved a great deal from last year. He has traveled a lot this year and has placed very well in a lot of tournaments, including 4 1st place finishes in C-Tiers, 2 2nd place finishes in B-Tiers and recently finished 6th in the Discraft Great Lakes NT (leading in the first round, and he beat Nikko by 11 strokes) As of right now he has won $2,694 and it will hopefully continue to go up as he plays. Hopefully you will consider him a candidate.

ck34
Jul 18 2007, 11:23 PM
Selecting candidates isn't based on popularity but their results for the year. The popularity only comes in play after the candidates are determined and the voters have their favorites. If Paul or Cory have the record and/or the rating and/or won the money by the end of the year, they'll make the list.

ChrisWoj
Jul 23 2007, 11:15 PM

Let me be the first to say, Congratulations Adam Olsen.

Is Olsen the one receiving it? I know it was a strong race between Bennett, KSW, and AO.

By the way, the other rookies had cool initial-created nicknames, lucky them... but Bennett really has none. We need to come up with a nickname for Geoff.

How about Human Rain Delay? Is that taken?

What were the names of those guys that PUMPED... YOU UP! on Saturday Night Live in the early `90s? The way he "pumps up" his arm 25 times before each forehand... y'know?

Okay I'm off on a tangent, what were we talking about?

gdstour
Jul 23 2007, 11:31 PM
Hans and Frans!

ChrisWoj
Jul 24 2007, 01:34 AM
So which one would Bennett be? Hans or Frans?

WE'RE HERE TO PUMP...*CLAP*...YOU UP!

ChrisWoj
Aug 04 2007, 01:11 AM
Look out Nikko, Koontz appears to be making some sort of statement this week!

ChrisWoj
Aug 06 2007, 01:29 AM
I spoke too soon. The impressive RoY candidates finish only a stroke apart!

... ahh who am I kidding, Nikko is smashing the competition with his touring experience this year. On a side note: never point out a hot chick when near Nikko... unless you want terrifying visuals put in your head.

TaylorLipo
Aug 06 2007, 12:57 PM
Koontz or Nikko should get it for this year...I hope whoever mentioned Steve Mills for 'rookie of the year' was joking...He's made $245 in winnings so far...lame...

lien83
Aug 06 2007, 02:21 PM
you all seem to have forgotten Dallas Albright

accidentalROLLER
Aug 06 2007, 03:26 PM
you all seem to have forgotten Dallas Albright

How did he finish at worlds?

lien83
Aug 06 2007, 03:54 PM
I don't think he could afford to go

MARKB
Aug 06 2007, 07:07 PM
Doesn't help his chances then

Nikko's got the stat advantage at this point

lien83
Aug 06 2007, 07:24 PM
ok

Aug 20 2007, 01:34 AM
Cory Sharp just won a B-Tier over Paul Ulibarri and Nate Sexton by 9 strokes! Gaining some ground on Nikko.. Hopefully the race will be a close one!

RobBull
Aug 20 2007, 12:50 PM
Cory is a class act. He is always a good sport whether having a good round or a bad one. As a TD, I wish all players conducted themselves like Cory. He is a young kid with a ton of potential and great skills.

olsen129
Aug 20 2007, 06:29 PM
[censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] mother [censored] bag drop kick [censored]!

schick
Aug 20 2007, 10:05 PM
Are you quoting a certain golfer? :D

cornhuskers9495
Aug 20 2007, 11:36 PM
Cory is a good guy and a great up and comer...

AO, Thats a warning! :D

gdstour
Aug 21 2007, 12:52 AM
Cory Sharp just won a B-Tier over Paul Ulibarri and Nate Sexton by 9 strokes! Gaining some ground on Nikko.. Hopefully the race will be a close one!

Will Cory being going to usdgc or players cup?
If so, he may be able to avenge the separation Nikko put on him at worlds: 24th place compared to 98th.
He may also go to Las Vegas this fall!

Aug 21 2007, 03:08 AM
Yep, Cory is signed up for USDGC and is also going to Players Cup. He will also be going to Las Vegas for the B-Tier. Hopefully Nikko will have some good luck for his first time at USDGC. That place will tame you, Cory might have an advantage there. I didnt see Nikko signed up for the USDGC yet. Its a little late for his registration (where he qualified in Minnesota). Send Nikko to Utah for the Full Throttle Super-Tour, Its a huge tournament with a great payout. Cory and Paul are both signed up for that one!

olsen129
Aug 21 2007, 10:18 AM
Are you quoting a certain golfer? :D

Several

schick
Aug 21 2007, 10:54 AM

Will Cory being going to usdgc or players cup?
If so, he may be able to avenge the separation Nikko put on him at worlds: 24th place compared to 98th.
He may also go to Las Vegas this fall!

Thread drift alert!!!

Dave,

Is Nikko doing the Monday qualifying? The other day I noticed he qualified at the Majestic, but also played in a big play off at the BHMO for the last spot. Supposedly there were three spots at the BHMO and four people playing off for them. I am pretty sure since Nikko qualified at the Majestic and didn't pay in the 30 days, he shouldn't have played in that play off at the BHMO. It was the same I believe for Boobs, he was already paid for the State Rep spot and was in the play off. If you look on the USDGC site, as I did, it lists Tyler Horne and I had to tell him a couple days ago. He didn't even know he was in because they were all in that playoff?? He now has until tomorrow to pay I believe???

magilla
Aug 21 2007, 11:20 AM
How about Human Rain Delay? Is that taken?

The ORIGINAL "HRD" wanders the forests of Humboldt County.....as a member of the Par Infinity Club

:D

cbdiscpimp
Aug 21 2007, 11:19 PM
Hey I may suck but if my putting comes around in the next couple weeks we shall see if I can make a late season surge and maybe get nominated myself!!!

I will be going to the Charlotte Open and trying to Monday Qualify for USDGC and I will be going to the Players Cup as well to get some revenge from last year.........Cory and Nikko have both been playing great all year so my guess for Nominations is Cory Sharp........Paul Ulibarri and Nikko as of right now!!!

See you guys around later this season and good luck to all!!!

JRauch
Aug 22 2007, 12:27 AM
I think Brent Koontz should get a nomination too. It's too bad his biggest win came in an unsactioned event. He beat a solid feild of 25+ open players to take the circus city this year and he won by 6 or 7 strokes too!!

stankee
Aug 22 2007, 07:32 AM
27984...Christian Dietrich....Montana....25TH in his first worlds...look out boys!!

stankee
Aug 22 2007, 07:38 AM
Dietrich should have it hands down over Nikko and Sharp..!!!

stankee
Aug 22 2007, 10:09 AM
24th..

Aug 22 2007, 12:01 PM
Christian accepted cash many times before Am Worlds last year... I am pretty sure he is not a rookie this year...

Aug 22 2007, 12:11 PM
Yep, just looked it up. Christian accepted cash once in May 2006 for 215$ and once in June 2006 for 599$... Chuck said the cutoff for your rookie year is Am worlds, which was in July... Sorry Christian.

ck34
Aug 22 2007, 12:21 PM
That's been the PDGA guideline for years now.

MTChristian
Aug 22 2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the shout-out Derf. I was also disappointed to learn that I wasn't a rookie this year, I thought it was just the year after you stop playing Advanced (which I did up through the Beaver State Fling last year), until I read about the am worlds cutoff on this site. There's no way that someone from a state like Montana could win ROY without some SERIOUS sandbagging the year before...the open field in any direction for 500 miles isn't any better than an advanced field at a big tournament elsewhere. It's too bad it's set up the way it is...i'm newer to the game and have a number PDGA number than a lot of the other candidates, but to stay an am thru am worlds last year would just not have been reasonable in Montana.

MTChristian
Aug 22 2007, 03:31 PM
After reading my post it sounds like sour grapes, which wasn't my intention...I'm honored to even be mentioned, and I have nowhere near the complete resume that these guys have...Cory is a great representative for our sport and hasn't even begun to realize his potential, Nikko's achievements obviously speak for themselves, and I got to play with Koontz on lead card of B Pool at worlds and he is a great golfer and class act as well. Good luck to all the ROY candidates.

mbohn
Aug 22 2007, 03:55 PM
Dallas Albright #31173

http://www.pdga.com/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=31173&year=2007

lien83
Aug 22 2007, 07:27 PM
Dallas is ahead of everyone mentioned in this post in Marshall Streets player ratings, PDGA's player ratings and has beaten Doss and Anthon this year in Norcal...hmmm

i think he may even be winning the Norcal series against Barsby, Doss and Anthon

Aug 22 2007, 09:52 PM
Has Dallas been playing outside of California at all? It probably would help his chances of winning.

halton
Aug 23 2007, 02:10 AM
noTT me

readysetstab
Aug 23 2007, 07:57 AM
seems like every thread is somehow better now that halton has contributed.

lien83
Aug 23 2007, 11:27 AM
Are you Cory Sharp's Dad?

Aug 24 2007, 12:32 AM
Yes. Why?

lien83
Aug 24 2007, 02:18 PM
I just noticed the extreme biased when anyone says anything about anyone else being considered for this award and saw your last name. no big deal just curious. I actually tied Cory for 5th in Advanced at the High Plains Challenge in CO in 06' and got to play with him a round. Good kid that deserves a proper nomination for this award. Sorry if that question sounded rude!!

rollinghedge
Aug 24 2007, 02:25 PM
I just noticed the extreme biased when anyone says anything about anyone else being considered for this award and saw your last name.

Just out of curiosity, where was the "extreme bias"?

lien83
Aug 24 2007, 05:13 PM
I supposed biased is the wrong word...just favoritism, as there should be. I apologized for sounding a bit edgy...Cory is a great kid

dionarlyn
Aug 30 2007, 03:48 AM
My goal this year was to tour a bit and try to get nominated, but with a dissapointing finish at worlds this year I'll have to tear it up around Oregon to have a chance at all. My last hope is to fly to Florida for the PC (couldn't get the time off for USDGC). Nikko, Paul, Sharp, Koontz are my picks so far.

I like BK a lot, got to play with him on that same lead card with Christian D. and Mike Randolf at Worlds (then I sank like a rock). He's really cool, Nikko on the other hand...just playing, he's cool too. (He did challenge Cory to a distance competetion though - that was stupid. The Sharpshooter can BOMB.)

dionarlyn
Aug 30 2007, 04:05 AM
Brent Koontz #24900 (http://www.pdga.com/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=24900&year=2007)

Nikko Locastro #11534 (http://www.pdga.com/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=11534year=2007)

Dion Arlyn #24781 (http://www.pdga.com/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=24781)

Paul Ulibarri #27171 (http://www.pdga.com/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=27171&year=2007)

Cory Sharp #24270 (http://www.pdga.com/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=24270&year=2007)

Dallas Albright #31173 (http://www.pdga.com/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=31173&year=2007)

Here are the forerunners people have mentioned, and I had to add myself of course...

dionarlyn
Aug 30 2007, 04:08 AM
Nikko...sorry

Here it is! (http://www.pdga.com/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=11534&year=2007)

Smokey102977
Aug 30 2007, 03:49 PM
Christian Dietrich from Missoula, Montana! PDGA#27984

http://www.pdga.com/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=27984

I don't know if he qualifies but he has dominated here in the NW with Nate Sexton. He also played well at Pro Worlds staying in the top 10 for the first few rounds and finishing tied with Nikko at 24th.

BTW he is not sponsored yet!

lien83
Aug 30 2007, 04:00 PM
He just missed the cut-line for rookie of the year nomination...great player though

AviarX
Aug 31 2007, 12:14 AM
Nicole Frazer! (http://www.pdga.com/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=24355)

Nicole also just finished first in the 8th annual Cincinnati Flying Pig Open (http://www.pdga.com/schedule/event.php?TournID=6929) B tier by 18 strokes.

mbohn
Aug 31 2007, 06:58 PM
I don't think Dallas has had the time to travel this year, so he has been playing in California. I'm not sure though just what I heard...

olsen129
Aug 31 2007, 09:28 PM
Nikko...sorry

<a href="http://www.pdga.com/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=11534&year=2007"> Here it is! </a>

[censored] [censored] [censored] [censored] mother [censored] bag drop kick [censored]!

JHBlader86
Sep 01 2007, 04:28 AM
Nicole Frazer! (http://www.pdga.com/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=24355)

Nicole also just finished first in the 8th annual Cincinnati Flying Pig Open (http://www.pdga.com/schedule/event.php?TournID=6929) B tier by 18 strokes.

She gave Des a run for her money here at the BG Open.

skaZZirf
Sep 01 2007, 08:42 AM
Nikko...sorry

<a href="http://www.pdga.com/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=11534&year=2007"> Here it is! </a>

exactly...B koontz is really cool guy, and also very modest for his ability...my vote...

Sep 12 2007, 01:43 PM
Paul Ulibarri just took 2nd place over Dave Feldberg, Josh Anthon and Steve Rico at the Full Throttle Challenge A-Tier in Utah. Took home $1,250. Cory Sharp took 5th $625.

dionarlyn
Sep 12 2007, 10:40 PM
Another rookie also took down their first PDGA win at a B tier in Oregon this last weekend as well (Eugene Celebration). GOOD WEEK TO BE A ROOKIE! Over $2,000.00 was awarded to rookies this weekend!

Shameless, I know.

c_trotter
Sep 13 2007, 12:08 AM
Nice Win, Dion!! I heard you killed the back 9 at Oakway. Way to close the deal!

Cory Sharp is a freak!! I saw shots from him I didnt think were possible. I see a World distance record coming!

Paul Ulibarri just about doubled his yearly earnings! Another finish like that will put him solidly in the running for ROY. The kid is MONEY with the Z-Magnet!

z Vaughn z
Sep 13 2007, 12:47 AM
Ulibarri has nothing on Koontz. Brent has been extremely consistant all year only missing cash at one event. Not to mention, no one will hear about a non-sanctioned win Brent had netting $700 bucks besting some 30 pros. MSDGC putting champ....

9th at Hambrick, 22nd at Worlds.....You'll see Brent near the top at USDGC ahead of all the ROY candidates.

The only thing he can't do is beat me in doubles at HIS home course! :cool:

Sep 13 2007, 02:48 AM
I like your confidence in Brent... Saying he will be ahead of all the RoY candidates at the USDGC... We will see how that will turn out. It will be interesting to see how Winthrop Gold treats Brent at his first USDGC. I don't know if we should get into all the non-sanctioned cash stuff.. because you never know what other players have done... Cory has won over 2,000 extra dollars in non-sanctioned tourneys, including a 500 dollar first place at a local tournament with over 70 players in the field. I'm sure Nikko has won a lot more in non-sanctioned stuff as well.. Paul Ulibarri even won 800 non-sanctioned cash at just one tournament alone... Lets keep it inside PDGA events... Just makes it easier... I'm not trying to take anything away from Brent though... He is a great player and very deserving of a RoY nomination, but its anyones ball game at this point... We will see how it goes in Rock Hill.

ck34
Sep 13 2007, 02:57 AM
Brent should have an advantage as a newbie at the USDGC because of his wicked forehand. Lefties fare very well relative to righties on that layout. We'll see.

ChrisWoj
Sep 13 2007, 03:26 AM
Brent is a hell of a decent dude. I met him at the Kingston Open B-Tier in Norwalk, Ohio and he was nothing if not completely laid back and chill. And he plays a sick game of golf as well.

xterramatt
Sep 13 2007, 11:37 AM
Brent is cool. Hung with him at Worlds and MSDGC. Good guy.

RobBull
Oct 07 2007, 05:02 PM
Congrats to Cory Sharp for finishing 35th at the USDGC. I believe he was the top finishing rookie.

ChrisWoj
Oct 08 2007, 01:56 PM
Koontz has still only missed cash once!
Sharp comes up with the biggest cash amongst rookies!
... and Nikko doesn't get to play the event!

Nikko may still have the yearlong heads up, but he was narrowly beaten by Koontz at worlds, and Koontz cashed here... this has to throw a wrench in the works of the runaway rook-of-year train that was Nikko!

JRauch
Oct 08 2007, 06:04 PM
Don't forget about the $700+ Brent won (by more than a handfull of strokes) at an unsactioned tournament that had over 30 open players.

RobBull
Oct 08 2007, 06:25 PM
As someone pointed out earlier, every ROY canidate has unsanctioned wins and cashes. Shouldn't the PDGA ROY go to the player that plays the best in PDGA competition. I'm sure all of them fair pretty well in doubles, leagues and weekend skins play; but it holds no relevance to the award.

ck34
Oct 08 2007, 06:29 PM
The PDGA World Rankings only include PDGA events, with the USDGC having the highest weight of all Championship events since there are more World Ranked players competing in the same division than any other event including Worlds.

Oct 19 2007, 12:08 AM
Cory Sharp just finished 8th out of 40 players at a Super Tour in Colorado.. Beating out Avery Jenkins and Mike Randolph. Next on the tour is Las Vegas Halloween Classic then on to Florida for the Players Cup! Coming down to the wire! Who will it be?!?

lien83
Oct 19 2007, 06:03 PM
Cory's got my vote...Koontz and Nikko close behind

skaZZirf
Oct 20 2007, 12:55 AM
koontz.

Nov 02 2007, 09:28 PM
Since they updated the tour money list it stands
Cory Sharp: $5,123 (really $5,035 because the Full Throttle Challenge is mixed up and he really made $625) with 20 tournaments under his belt. (5 wins including a B-Tier)
Nikko Locastro:$4,982 (but he just made another $240 in Tulsa so really $5,222 after 20 tournaments also). (2 wins including a B-Tier)
Brent Koontz: $4,002 (probably more like $4,402 because I heard he made another $400 at a B-Tier that is not posted) with 22 tournaments under his belt. (1 win at a B-Tier)

Pretty close? I'd say so.. Players Cup is next!

cornhuskers9495
Nov 02 2007, 09:45 PM
When it comes to talent and a joy to play with, A positive embassador and a bright future. It's hard not to chose the Ute

In Colorado, Cory took a double circle 6, with a practice throw, on the second hole of the last round. By the time we got to the third hole, he was already crackin a joke and laughin about it. Good Karma came his way and birdied 5 of the next 6 hole

Great golfer, but better person. Regardless of the Player cup results, My vote goes to The Sharp-Shooter...

Nov 02 2007, 10:27 PM
Paul Ulibarri is close behind as well.. If he puts together a good finish at the Players Cup I think it will put him solidly in the race... I hear Brent Koontz isnt playing so that could give Paul the opportunity he needs to play catch up... As of right now he has made $3,490 after 17 tournaments... has won 3 events and has claimed the biggest cash among the rookies! $1,250 dollars and a 2nd place finish at the Full Throttle Challenge A-Tier..

dionarlyn
Nov 03 2007, 05:23 AM
What I want to know is where Cory and Paul are getting their travel funds :) I work 40 hour weeks teaching karate and pulling shifts in my parents stores and after winning over 2000.00 this year I still didn't feel like I could swing the trip out to Florida. Anyway, those four guys are certainly having an amazing year and all of them are deserving candidates. What I want to know is how many players can get nominated? My goal all along has been to just get nominated, I figured there would be other guys out there who would have killer seasons, I just didn't figure on four guys doing it!

Go Sharp Shooter - you got my vote.

Nov 03 2007, 09:51 AM
I think they nominated 5 players last year... Geoff Bennett, Adam Olsen, Kim Scott-wood, Philo Brathwaite, Matt Hall... You are right up there in the top 5 arnt you?

ck34
Nov 03 2007, 10:15 AM
There's no limit on the number included for consideration (not exactly a nomination). The PDGA office just reviews stats and indicates those who are in the same range of accomplishments that year and let the voters decide. It can be 2 or 8 depending on the group of players that year.

olsen129
Nov 03 2007, 02:36 PM
nobody voted from what I have been told. I heard only around 30% of the possible voters voted.

ck34
Nov 03 2007, 02:58 PM
Actually, 30% is not bad if that's the figures, considering it has been less than 10% at times for Board elections.

shaolintrained
Nov 03 2007, 03:12 PM
I'm personally voting for Dion "Ron the Whip", he's been rippin' it up this year. Congratulations on your co-championship for the Oregon Series. The only mistake you made was studying Karate instead of Kung-Fu. Good luck in the future.

the_kid
Nov 03 2007, 05:43 PM
I think they nominated 5 players last year... Geoff Bennett, Adam Olsen, Kim Scott-wood, Philo Brathwaite, Matt Hall... You are right up there in the top 5 arnt you?

Linus too.

Nov 05 2007, 01:10 AM
Cory just picked up another C-Tier win for $400 over the weekend.. That makes 6 wins (5 C-Tiers and 1 B-Tier) for 2007 so far.. Total earnings $5,435

olsen129
Nov 05 2007, 09:53 AM
Played with Cory at the USDGC. Good disc golfer and nice kid. He will get my vote.

topdog
Nov 06 2007, 09:38 AM
If I had a vote I would vote for Derek Billings. He beat Cory and Paul at Vegas two weeks ago.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=28965&year=2007

Did I mention he is only 16.

Discraft_Keith
Nov 06 2007, 07:47 PM
Gotta put in a good word for Paul. Super nice kid and a great game. Way to represent AZ!!!

dionarlyn
Nov 07 2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks Shaolin for the shout out. What can you do with Kung-Fu that you can't do with Kenpo? Anyway, Derek looks like he's had a good year, I'm surprised we didn't see his name on the radar earlier.

magilla
Nov 08 2007, 03:10 PM
Oh Yea...He has been under the radar because he is in NorCal...........

His rating is gonna SKYROCKET at this next update.. /msgboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif