Jul 02 2007, 04:44 PM
I might be playing my first ever tourney and saw there were 3 different skill levels to choose from. (ams,rec,int and adv mst) How do I determine which one to play in based on skill levels? I started playing in july of last year....I never played with a group of people other then my friend.

rollinghedge
Jul 02 2007, 04:51 PM
Did they have a tourney there last year? If so, compare your average score against those and see what division you fit in.

EDIT: This (http://www.pdga.com/documents/2006/06DivisionsGuide.pdf) might help too.

Jul 02 2007, 06:32 PM
thanks..im thinking rec then again I dont wanna look like I should be a step up...whats your opinion on that?

enkster
Jul 03 2007, 07:40 AM
John,

What do you ususally shoot on your home course? Other courses you are less familiar with? Is the tourney on your home course?

In some cases, this makes a huge difference in what division you should play in, as familiarity breeds comfort and will give you a better feel than someone who is newer to the course. If you are pretty consistent, I would say that the guidlines provided by abcd are a good place to start.

Suggestions:<ul type="square"> Get a copy of the rulebook.. ask the TD, most will be happy to give you one (or sell you one for a few ducets).
Since you have been playing for a year, I would probably play Rec, but since I do not know what your skill level is, this is what the questions above will drive to.
As a newer player, ask the TD to try and group you with an experienced player that they know will be helpful.
Most importantly, remember that this is supposed to be fun. Yes, you are competing, and hopefully competitive, but if you forget to have fun, it really does not matter. This is not work.
[/list] I wish you the best of luck.

StenkyDGer

LouMoreno
Jul 04 2007, 11:42 AM
thanks..im thinking rec then again I dont wanna look like I should be a step up...whats your opinion on that?

John, you should play whatever division you want to and not worry about how it looks. If you play Rec and end up blowing away the field, you just move up at the next tournament.

sammyshaheen
Jul 05 2007, 11:16 PM
Sounds like right off the bat you should play intermediate. If you already think people will say you should move up you should.
You are already a PDGA member BEFORE playing your first tourney. This sounds to me like you are interested in this great sport.
You enjoy this game is what it sounds like. If you are a student of the game don't mess with rec. play up with better players. Play Intermediate or Advanced and nobody will call you a bagger. It's your first tournament!