paerley
Jun 30 2007, 12:22 PM
After DGLO, I had my league championship on a local course that's rather long, and during that my right elbow started to hurt. This lead me to throw left handed for a few weeks to let my elbow recover for Am Worlds(Doctor said it was just 'a strained tendon', and a few weeks off would have to back to normal). I was jumping in the shower today, after having played only left handed for three weeks and noticed a 7inch by 10inch bruise under my left arm.

Pictured here: http://www.erley.org/bruise.jpg (not embeded in post to save those that don't care to see my armpit) [Note, pink dots are poison ivy and are unrelated]

It's been a long time since I started throwing right handed, but I don't remember any bruising like this. It doesn't hurt to touch or anything, so it seems like it'd just be a few burst capillaries. It sorta saddens me because now I'm hesitant to go throw this weekend, and last week I started hitting 300' left handed (beat up 150g dx valk).

Anyone else ever get something like this?

bruce_brakel
Jun 30 2007, 03:22 PM
I had something like that when I tore a muscle. The other like ly explanation is abduction by space aliens.

the camera guy
Jun 30 2007, 04:06 PM
if you were at am worlds in tulsa you might have seen this guy, his name is mike, if i remember correctly he popped a vessel but continued playing he had little or no pain. he recovered and continues to play.

determined to play (http://www.pdga.com/images/06amworlds/HaikeyPoolHAdvancedGrandma/DSC_0190.html)

paerley
Jun 30 2007, 04:26 PM
I had something like that when I tore a muscle.

This was sort of what I was suspecting. Good thing there isn't a league round this week. A week off for both arms looks in order now.

The other like ly explanation is abduction by space aliens.

Normally nights where I suspect alien abduction (lost time) involves a trip to the bar and a few captain morgan drinks...

paerley
Jun 30 2007, 04:28 PM
if you were at am worlds in tulsa you might have seen this guy, his name is mike, if i remember correctly he popped a vessel but continued playing he had little or no pain. he recovered and continues to play.

determined to play (http://www.pdga.com/images/06amworlds/HaikeyPoolHAdvancedGrandma/DSC_0190.html)

Wow, that IS determination.

pterodactyl
Jul 03 2007, 07:50 PM
That looks like a picture of your knee!

My diagnosis is that you tore a little muscle where your tendon inserts. It's bleeding! Stop throwing for a week and let it repair itself. Ice it periodically and massage the area in a few days to reduce scar tissue adherence.

If that doesn't work, it may have been a spider bite.

OK, gotta go, my shuttle from the Holiday Inn Express is here. :D

eveidel
Jul 12 2007, 03:34 PM
wow that would suck pretty bad

ChrisWoj
Jul 12 2007, 10:23 PM
Any update Pat? Things going well? Been forced to pawn off my cell phone charger in order to pay medical bills?

paerley
Jul 13 2007, 12:36 AM
HAHA, nah, cell phone charger is hanging my first run gym socks on the wall...

I said screw it and took 2 weeks off. My right elbow is back to 100%, although I'm still taking it easy with it. Just putting and maybe a round each week. I have ZERO pain in the elbow after a 24 hole round, which isn't something that was normal for me even 2 years ago when I was first getting into it.

Jul 14 2007, 10:32 PM
i started playing 2 years ago in the winter. i had a bruise come up on my arm a few weeks later. i had one on my chest then on the back of my arm. i thought it was from not warming up and stretching, but it could have been because i was a new player and i started using muscles i hadn't been using. i play every few days now and i don't bruise anymore.