opereida
May 13 2007, 03:49 AM
We are going to start a San Antonio, Texas Disc Golf Club and are looking for individuals to help us make this happen. I would like to hear suggestions for our Club Name, Club Logo, etc;. If we choose your Club Name or Logo, you will receive one years Free Membership. :) If you are in the Alamo City area and would like to run for a Club position, Please let me know. Thanks....Bird 16355

Grog
May 13 2007, 08:40 AM
Heyy! Bird I can finally sign in to DISCussion!! Since I am still looking for an organization to join, and still haven't heard from anyone at the other org., definitely count me in. Let me know what you need done. I have looked at some club charters and was planning to work on one even if I needed to start my own group.

opereida
May 13 2007, 10:41 PM
I think I am going to make Membership Flyers and distribute them to local disc golfers. Once we have some club funds I will order Member T-Shirts. We should maybe start with just Member Dues and build from that. I can keep track of the Club Funds until we actually hold elections. My wife is going to start a Disc Golf Newsletter and will distribute to Members. We still need a name for the Club.

San Antonio Disc Golfers
Alamo City Disc Crushers
San Antonio Disc Golf Club
Disc Golfers of The Alamo City
Disc Golfers of San Antonio

Let's hear more possible names. :)

Grog
May 14 2007, 06:46 AM
River City Flyers
Alamo City Flyers
SA Flyers
San Antonio Hyzers
Spin Junkies of SA
Los Embajadores del Disco
(Feel free to clean up my spanish on that, my spanish will usually get my butt kicked on the South Side)

G

losotd
May 14 2007, 10:30 AM
Why not make the one you already have work? This is how disc golf cliques get started, someone doesn't like what the club is doing, so they take their disc and start another, and before you know it you have infighting and rivalries. But hey whatever floats your gumbputt. Let me know when I should change this...

The LODGA is an alliance of players from San Antonio, Live Oak, Universal City, Schertz, New Braunfels, Pipe Creek and Gonzales. We have several "mini" tournaments throughout the week including our summer league. The LODGA is a PDGA affiliated club.

Silly rabbits.

opereida
May 14 2007, 04:47 PM
I have tried to help LODGA get organized many times and my suggestions seem to fall on deaf ears. With more Disc Golf Courses being put in San Antonio and surrounding areas, we need a more organized club and I just don't think LODGA is going to be that club if there are no changes made. I have tried over and over again to make this club a dues paying organized one. We could possibly hold a World's here one day but without an organized club this will never happen. This is not a Click!!! This is going to be a club where every member has a say so on what their money is spent on or whatever else needs to be voted on. Decisions LODGA makes are always decided by individuals. I wanted to keep Live Oak Disc Golf Alliance but like I said, seems like no one wants this. So we are starting a San Antonio Disc Golf Club to promote the sport I Love in the City I live. The city wants this too. No Silly Rabbit's Here. ;)

losotd
May 14 2007, 04:51 PM
ok, good luck with that.

opereida
May 14 2007, 05:25 PM
Thanks... :)

May 14 2007, 05:30 PM
Unity is essential..

Starting from scratch sucks! Unless you got a lawyer on your team

rtinsa
May 14 2007, 07:19 PM
lol! Im on Brian's side!
Who are the name's that aren't listening!
Why don't you talk about this at the mini's!
Your lurkin orlando!
WE have Lodga!

opereida
May 14 2007, 07:58 PM
Go back and read Should LODGA Be A Dues Paying Club thread. We are starting a San Antonio Disc Golf Club. No rivalry, no nothin!!! Just starting something good here. That's it.

rtinsa
May 14 2007, 08:18 PM
Dude! See you on the Lynxx!

suemac
May 14 2007, 09:40 PM
Sometimes reinventing the wheel is a good thing. LOL

Good luck to you guys......whatever your name ends up being! All good folks with passion for golf. And Bird, just remember, it will end up being the few that do for the all. It's just the way things work, so be prepared.

DISConnected
May 14 2007, 10:00 PM
Sometimes reinventing the wheel is a good thing.

http://radio.weblogs.com/0105910/images/square_wheels.jpg

:confused:

rtinsa
May 14 2007, 11:19 PM
I havn't heard from one person that like's this idea personally.
Anyway!
How are you doing today?
GO SPUR'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/wp0607_r2g3b_1200.jpg

geomy
May 14 2007, 11:34 PM
Where do you find this stuff, Paschal?

opereida
May 14 2007, 11:35 PM
[QUOTE]
I havn't heard from one person that like's this idea personally.

I'm one person!!! :p Have you spoke to the San Antonio Disc Golfers and asked them what they think of this? I am promoting the sport in a city of over 1 Million people!!! I am not forcing anyone to join anything. I know there will be more than me. :) :) ;)

DISConnected
May 14 2007, 11:51 PM
Where do you find this stuff, Paschal?

It's on the other, more secret internet. :D

SAP
May 15 2007, 07:19 PM
Sorry, if the post of LODGA being a dues paying club wasn�t written in Chinese but, it was put out there and, for some reason, some of you are getting offended now that a lot of us want this. No lurking here.

How old are we; rivalry and cliques? What ever happened to the love of the sport???

I love being a LODGA member, LOLO, and a future SA member. Is there anything wrong with trying to see Disc Golf grow all over the Alamo City? I�d like to be able to bring SA into the scene. This could also open up doors for more school districts to get involved���the possibilities are endless. I�m not saying this will happen over night�����..anything ORGANIZED takes time and effort. I�m a little disappointed in some of you for throwing rivalry and cliques out there. I�m a good person and I want the very best for this sport. There�s nothing written that you can�t be apart of 1 or more clubs.

This isn�t a popularity contest; it�s a way to see the future grow BEYOND us in the world of Disc Golf. I�d also like to see a SA Women�s League get formed. I have the passion and the time so, Why not? Who�s it going to hurt? Other cliques? Everyone is welcomed here!!!

I�m committed to being a Disc Golfer. Who wants to argue with that? For those of you that have no faith in this�����..you�re still welcomed to join.

Ladies-
Any ideas for a ladies disc golf club name and logo? I�m horrible at this; don�t laugh.
SA Lady Crushers
River City Chics
(This won�t happen until next year but, it�s just a thought)

Love everyone-
Stacey

opereida
May 15 2007, 07:28 PM
Sorry, if the post of LODGA being a dues paying club wasn�t written in Chinese but, it was put out there and, for some reason, some of you are getting offended now that a lot of us want this. No lurking here.

How old are we; rivalry and cliques? What ever happened to the love of the sport???

I love being a LODGA member, LOLO, and a future SA member. Is there anything wrong with trying to see Disc Golf grow all over the Alamo City? I�d like to be able to bring SA into the scene. This could also open up doors for more school districts to get involved���the possibilities are endless. I�m not saying this will happen over night�����..anything ORGANIZED takes time and effort. I�m a little disappointed in some of you for throwing rivalry and cliques out there. I�m a good person and I want the very best for this sport. There�s nothing written that you can�t be apart of 1 or more clubs.

This isn�t a popularity contest; it�s a way to see the future grow BEYOND us in the world of Disc Golf. I�d also like to see a SA Women�s League get formed. I have the passion and the time so, Why not? Who�s it going to hurt? Other cliques? Everyone is welcomed here!!!

I�m committed to being a Disc Golfer. Who wants to argue with that? For those of you that have no faith in this�����..you�re still welcomed to join.

Ladies-
Any ideas for a ladies disc golf club name and logo? I�m horrible at this; don�t laugh.
SA Lady Crushers
River City Chics
(This won�t happen until next year but, it�s just a thought)

Love everyone-
Stacey

Well Put!!! I totally agree. :cool:

opereida
May 15 2007, 10:29 PM
River City Flyers
Alamo City Flyers
SA Flyers
San Antonio Hyzers
Spin Junkies of SA
Los Embajadores del Disco
(Feel free to clean up my spanish on that, my spanish will usually get my butt kicked on the South Side)

G

I kinda like River City Flyers :cool:

Grog
May 15 2007, 10:49 PM
I agree with Stacey 100% on this subject. Will I agree with everything else she or bird propose in the club? I assure everyone, not all the time.,, but as a dues paying member I am assured a voice, so is everyone else. I am also adult enough to accept not everyone will agreee with me.I'm married so I not only accept it, I expect some one to disagree with me all the time.

Since LODGA is not a dues paying club, I see no threat of lost club revenues. So why the resistance?

At no point have I heard bird nor anyone else who supports his idea threaten, chastise, or insult anyone else. I have seen him take it however. The man has chunked plastic with most people posting here, so show some support or at least a little respect.

In a side note.

Despite the fact I had already expressed my support for bird the remark was made that no one was in favor of a new club. Feel free to call me NO_1 from now on, I'll wear that moniker with pride.

A new club is going to happen, and is open to everyone. This is your invite. It has no time limit, no exceptions, no limitations. If you wish not to participate I accept that, but don't discourage those that wish work in bringing the sport we love to more people.

--NO_1

MP757
May 15 2007, 11:17 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of organized disc golf clubbin'!! On behalf of myself and all the other players in the San Marcos Disc Golf Club, we welcome you to all the enjoyment of running your own mini's, installing new courses, and just plain great golfing!! Be warned though, many a bump lay in the road before you. Be prepared for beurocratic balogna, whiny players, and hiccups amongst your own crewmates, but if you can stick it out and offer something good to the sport we'll support you 100%.

As for LODGA, we as a club have supported your mini's, tournaments, and charity events for years and will continue to supporting them as long as you keep them coming. Good luck on the Live Oak Summer Open and hope to see a bunch of everybody from the surrounding area out at Beeville in a couple weeks!!!

NO. 2

Grog
May 16 2007, 12:26 AM
Thanks 2!

I've never intended to stop supporting LODGA or it's events. I did it before ever joining. Granted it would be more convenient for me to just hand my fee over to the usual winner and just enjoy the camaraderie.

And that is the key, enjoying the game. The sun won't shine any brighter, the birds won't sing any louder, the beer won't be any colder, and the women won't be any prettier.....but I can still say I enjoyed myself.

I don't feel the views expressed are those of the club, but rather a few members. I respect their right to disagree, and propose no personal attacks, in return I expect the same.

NO_1

krazyeye
May 16 2007, 12:46 AM
Hey, The Flying Jalapenos of Odem have your backs.

So are we 4 and 5 or 3 and 4? I forget.

MP757
May 16 2007, 01:45 AM
Mission City Slingers!!

Grog
May 16 2007, 06:59 AM
Hey, The Flying Jalapenos of Odem have your backs.

So are we 4 and 5 or 3 and 4? I forget.

U gotta love a wiseass lol. Since I'm no one, I lost track of the score. I think 3 and 4.

G

geomy
May 16 2007, 11:02 AM
I can agree with both sides here...On the one hand, I can understand wanting to stay the course with what is already instated...I don't live in Live Oak, but I consider myself a member just as much as anyone else. I might not speak up like I should, but that's my prerogative. I think things are pretty good the way they are. Could they be improved? -yes, but unless the members can agree on a unified front, there's really no point to get all worked up (remember how hard it was just deciding on which disc molds to pick for LOSO!?).

Here's where the other hand comes in...starting afresh can have its benefits also. A cohesive and thought out structure as to who, what, when, where, how can be spelled out from the beginning and potential members can make a judgment as to whether that is something they are interested in.

I agree that this town IS big enough for the two's of ya's, and I agree that another vehicle for disc golf to ride into the mainstream is both welcome and necessary. It still amazes me how unknown our sport still is. I say go for it, Bird...I will support you and San Antonio/Live Oak/Disc Golf.

ps. I liked ACDC (Alamo City Disc Club)

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/5033/acdc2gv0.jpg

SAP
May 16 2007, 12:15 PM
These are great ideas for a club name. I like ACDC too. But, we need to talk to the person who generated that, out of fairness.

Who came up with that club name? Please post or PM me.

Since I'm not very good at club names, here's a few words that can be put together:

Disc Golf
Crushers
Slingers
Ace Runners
Alamo City
San Antonio (SA)
Mission
Tower
River City

I'll keep brain storming!

krazyeye
May 16 2007, 01:24 PM
...I will support you and San Antonio/Live Oak/Disc Golf.

Don't leave us out Geoff.

geomy
May 16 2007, 01:34 PM
I'll always be 3rd Coast golfer, but I gotta spread the love around, ya know?

discette
May 16 2007, 02:15 PM
I do not live in the area, but I do have some experience and knowledge you may be interested in hearing.

Every single Disc Golf club that I have been a member of, I have also volunteered to help run as an officer. Some clubs have more volunteers than others. However, most of the work and nearly all of the decision making is ALWAYS done by just a handful of people. If you all are truly interested in helping disc golf in your area, I would strongly urge you to volunteer to help the existing club. You will put a lot of time and energy into a new club to only end up with just a handful of people still doing a lion's share of the work. Then there will be two clubs each with a handful of core volunteers when you could have one club with two handfuls of working volunteers!

Your excitement is probably just what the current club needs to get back on track or to go to the next level. The current leadership (or volunteers or dictators) or whatever you want to call them have heard plenty of folks offer ideas on what would be great for the club. They probably rarely see anyone step up to put these "great" ideas into action. If I had a nickel for every person that had a great idea for a club, I would have at least a hundred dollars (that is only 2000 great ideas and I am sure I have heard many more). If every person who had a great idea actually stepped up and volunteered to help with the great idea, my clubs would be the most awesome clubs in all the world.

You guys have shown you are ready to volunteer to make disc golf better in your area. Please, please try to put this energy to work for the current club. They already have some resources in place that you would not need to duplicate. I see a website. I see weekly leagues. I see a PDGA event. You new volunteers can start new leagues under umbrella of the current club. Perhaps you could take the current club to the next level by becoming an organization with elected officers and dues paying members. Perhaps you could have two levels of membership - free (like current) and paid members who get a custom disc and perhaps discounts or other perks.

Again, there is always room for two clubs, but one bigger and better club seems like the ideal solution to deal with the age old dilemma of limited volunteer resources.

Thanks for listening.

DISConnected
May 16 2007, 03:12 PM
wOw! Thanks discette. Great advice, maybe the idea of two levels of membership within the current club could be workable.

I know the intent is not there to create a clique, but it could easily happen. And if it does, people get turned off and we end up hurting the sport instead of helping it grow.

opereida
May 16 2007, 04:13 PM
I can agree with both sides here...On the one hand, I can understand wanting to stay the course with what is already instated...I don't live in Live Oak, but I consider myself a member just as much as anyone else. I might not speak up like I should, but that's my prerogative. I think things are pretty good the way they are. Could they be improved? -yes, but unless the members can agree on a unified front, there's really no point to get all worked up (remember how hard it was just deciding on which disc molds to pick for LOSO!?).

Here's where the other hand comes in...starting afresh can have its benefits also. A cohesive and thought out structure as to who, what, when, where, how can be spelled out from the beginning and potential members can make a judgment as to whether that is something they are interested in.

I agree that this town IS big enough for the two's of ya's, and I agree that another vehicle for disc golf to ride into the mainstream is both welcome and necessary. It still amazes me how unknown our sport still is. I say go for it, Bird...I will support you and San Antonio/Live Oak/Disc Golf.

ps. I liked ACDC (Alamo City Disc Club)

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/5033/acdc2gv0.jpg

Alamo City Disc Club would have my vote too and I would also vote for that Logo (It's Awesome). :cool:

opereida
May 16 2007, 04:20 PM
wOw! Thanks discette. Great advice, maybe the idea of two levels of membership within the current club could be workable.

I know the intent is not there to create a clique, but it could easily happen. And if it does, people get turned off and we end up hurting the sport instead of helping it grow.

It doesn't seem like the three clubs in the Austin area (Waterloo, South Austin Disc Association, Round Rock) are hurting the sport or getting people turned off. They seem to be doing OK. :)

SAP
May 16 2007, 05:07 PM
Thanks discette, I appreciate every angle and aspect on this topic. The piece of the puzzle you are missing is that we did try this and the idea was shut down (go to LO thread-should it be a dues paying club). What do you do then? Start your own. Your opinion is always welcome.....Any ideas for a club name?

I'd like to see SA bring more disc golfers into play. I think making more clubs within the city would help that. There is a bigger picture we are looking at. Like the people who have no clue what disc golf is and I have the time, even if 1 person shows up. The city has taken an interest and published articles in the paper to rear up more interests so, why stop there.

Disc golf clubs in Austin is a good point! It's only going to get bigger here.

There is a bottom line here............a SA Disc Golf Club will happen and we are looking for ideas on how to start that, get a name, logo, etc....... I'd like to see more of that on this thread.

Thanks everyone for looking out for us but, we shouldn't have to be looking out. We all want the same thing here.......to play what we love and inspire others.

lisle
May 16 2007, 07:11 PM
I'd like to see SA bring more disc golfers into play. I think making more clubs within the city would help that. There is a bigger picture we are looking at.

This is a huge assumption that should probably be validated prior to initiating yet another club within San Antonio. Could you elaborate on your logic of how an additional club with entry fees will generate more bring more disc golfers into play?

I played in Salt Lake City for 4 years, and all a club did was divide the disc golf community.

SAP
May 16 2007, 07:53 PM
Live Oak City is a great course just not centrally located to all of San Antonio. With 3 new courses in San Antonio City, South, West, and North, I believe their are alot of peolple that aren't in the know. Only trying to start a good thing to a larger population.

I personally have to truck 22 miles but, I do because I love this sport. I also believe that if SA knew more they might do the same. Hopefully, spreading the word will help bring more players to other clubs, too. Thanks.

SAP
May 16 2007, 07:56 PM
In the beginning risks (assumptions) are taken but, if we quit that easy, nothing gets accomplished.

DISConnected
May 16 2007, 09:05 PM
[/QUOTE]Could you elaborate on your logic of how an additional club with entry fees will generate more bring more disc golfers into play?

[/QUOTE]

Live Oak City is a great course just not centrally located to all of San Antonio.

True, but irrelevant.

With 3 new courses in San Antonio City, South, West, and North, I believe their are alot of peolple that aren't in the know.

Probably also true, but it doesnt explain why forming a new club will be a solution.

Only trying to start a good thing to a larger population.

Nobody is questioning your good intentions, just the unintended result.

I personally have to truck 22 miles but, I do because I love this sport.

We all have to drive, some farther than others, and we all love the game.

I also believe that if SA knew more they might do the same. Hopefully, spreading the word will help bring more players to other clubs, too. Thanks.

What is stopping anyone from spreading the word thru LODGA?

What is the REAL reason for starting a new club?

Please do not take this as a personal attack. I would just like to hear the answer to the question at the top. I mean, here comes someone with direct experience with the subject, and I think it is a fair question.

What if this is a big mistake? It could affect all of us for a long time.

MP757
May 16 2007, 10:58 PM
I'm not even going to bother saying no offense b/c a number of people will be mad anyway. San Antonio is way too big of a city, with too much potential, and obviously a lot more resources at there disposal than an incorporated suburb. Sitting back with the lazy attitude, of how someway the city of Live Oak and the people that play out there are going to be able to cater to everybody's needs is just not logical. You guys would probably do well to follow a model like the HFDS b/c of how spread out the city is, just like Houston. Take the initiative now to get involved with finding parks and green-spaces for courses b/c these projects take time to get in the ground. Another suggestion would be to design the courses within the club b/c city designed courses don't usually leave a good impression on the sport. Like I said before its how much initiative you take and how far everyone is willing to go with this idea. The skies the limit, and San Antonio could become one of the largest golfing communities with one of the largest golfing infrastructures in the country.

SAP
May 16 2007, 11:08 PM
What is stopping anyone from spreading the word thru LODGA?

What is the REAL reason for starting a new club?

Please do not take this as a personal attack. I would just like to hear the answer to the question at the top. I mean, here comes someone with direct experience with the subject, and I think it is a fair question.

What if this is a big mistake? It could affect all of us for a long time.

[/QUOTE]

How about keeping one club and changing the name to San Antonio Disc Golf Alliance? There is nothing stopping people from spreading the word through LODGA but San Antonio is the bigger city and people would be more likely to join a club that has their city in the title. The Los Angeles Lakers are not called the Burbank Lakers (which is the small city inside the bigger city). There are many huge cities that have small cities on the outskirts or inside of them and how many times do you see the smaller city use their name? We are starting a Disc Golf Club in San Antonio and once again this is not to rival anyone or anything else. I wish I would have gotten this much interest when I posted "Should LODGA Be A Dues Paying Club?". :(

This is Bird speaking. I accidently posted when Stacey was logged in. Sorry

SAP
May 16 2007, 11:25 PM
I'm not going to play answer a hundred negative questions. My passion (logic) is clear. A San Antonio Disc Golf Club is going to happen. There's nothing wrong with that. I know the same kind of passion was there when LODGA started so, where's the love now.

On to SA Club issues..........I like the logo. Good job, G! Keep the ideas coming.......I can't wait to see more.

rtinsa
May 16 2007, 11:42 PM
I do not live in the area, but I do have some experience and knowledge you may be interested in hearing.

Every single Disc Golf club that I have been a member of, I have also volunteered to help run as an officer. Some clubs have more volunteers than others. However, most of the work and nearly all of the decision making is ALWAYS done by just a handful of people. If you all are truly interested in helping disc golf in your area, I would strongly urge you to volunteer to help the existing club. You will put a lot of time and energy into a new club to only end up with just a handful of people still doing a lion's share of the work. Then there will be two clubs each with a handful of core volunteers when you could have one club with two handfuls of working volunteers!

Your excitement is probably just what the current club needs to get back on track or to go to the next level. The current leadership (or volunteers or dictators) or whatever you want to call them have heard plenty of folks offer ideas on what would be great for the club. They probably rarely see anyone step up to put these "great" ideas into action. If I had a nickel for every person that had a great idea for a club, I would have at least a hundred dollars (that is only 2000 great ideas and I am sure I have heard many more). If every person who had a great idea actually stepped up and volunteered to help with the great idea, my clubs would be the most awesome clubs in all the world.

You guys have shown you are ready to volunteer to make disc golf better in your area. Please, please try to put this energy to work for the current club. They already have some resources in place that you would not need to duplicate. I see a website. I see weekly leagues. I see a PDGA event. You new volunteers can start new leagues under umbrella of the current club. Perhaps you could take the current club to the next level by becoming an organization with elected officers and dues paying members. Perhaps you could have two levels of membership - free (like current) and paid members who get a custom disc and perhaps discounts or other perks.

Again, there is always room for two clubs, but one bigger and better club seems like the ideal solution to deal with the age old dilemma of limited volunteer resources.

Thanks for listening.

I wish you guy's would of talked about this more @ Jim Bob and Laura's house. We raised the mini fee's because of what you said Orlando about a due's paying club. Oh I guess you forgot.
The woman on the above quote is right. I wish you guy's would also talk in person about this instead of talking on the board's. Oh by the way look at Waterloo Disc Golf club. They are the biggest club in Austin and don't have Austin in there name. There was already a ACDC club in SA. I guess you don't know the history of the area, just a tidbit for you guy's.
I would rather talk in person as a group of disc golfer's about this, than hide behind a computer.
So this is my last post on this. Thank you for your time.
God's will not your's!
Your' friendly Discer~ RT Evans

Grog
May 17 2007, 12:15 AM
I'm not going to play answer a hundred negative questions. My passion (logic) is clear. A San Antonio Disc Golf Club is going to happen. There's nothing wrong with that. I know the same kind of passion was there when LODGA started so, where's the love now.

On to SA Club issues..........I like the logo. Good job, G! Keep the ideas coming.......I can't wait to see more.

Which G? You haven't seen mine yet. And your not going to now. Geoffrey's is AWW-summm. Could I get a jpg 10.5" max?

opereida
May 17 2007, 12:54 AM
I wish you guy's would of talked about this more @ Jim Bob and Laura's house. We raised the mini fee's because of what you said Orlando about a due's paying club. Oh I guess you forgot.
The woman on the above quote is right. I wish you guy's would also talk in person about this instead of talking on the board's. Oh by the way look at Waterloo Disc Golf club. They are the biggest club in Austin and don't have Austin in there name. There was already a ACDC club in SA. I guess you don't know the history of the area, just a tidbit for you guy's.
I would rather talk in person as a group of disc golfer's about this, than hide behind a computer.
So this is my last post on this. Thank you for your time.
God's will not your's!
Your' friendly Discer~ RT Evans

If you really want to discuss this finally face to face. We are going to have a first meeting on this subject. Not everyone wants to post their opinions on the message board. I have spoke to individuals at the mini's about this. People have sent me PM's about this. You are invited to attend the meeting. I will personally let you know the date, time and location.

I know ACDC has already existed in San Antonio along with SADA and the person who came up with that name will get a years membership paid by me. I have spoken to this person about this face to face and he wants this too. :) By the way, I did not raise the mini fees. I suggested a Club Fund be started ($1.00). I did not set the fees and the "club/individual" did!!!

So what is the history of Waterloo? I'm sure it probably has nothing to do with Austin? :confused:

ozdisc
May 17 2007, 02:34 AM
G'day from Down Under. Remember me? :D

I have been keeping my good eye of all of this as I consider Live Oak my home course away from home. So please allow me to say a few words and offer a little advice.

Straight up front I will say I believe the best thing for the sport in San Antonio is to stick with one club or association as it is now under LODGA.

I do however think that the name should change to San Antonio DGA etc as people have mentioned all the new courses around outside of Live Oak.

I have been involved in all aspects of clubs, organisations etc as most of you know. It is not an easy thing and never will be as we all know. However breaking things up into "other clubs", "clics" or whatever you want to call it would not be in the best interest of the sport in that area.

My feeling is if anyone wants to start a "club" it should be purely course based and that the LODGA (or SADGA) oversee the entire lot. As an example...LODGA / SADGA runs the show, promotes the sport, buys discs, runs major events, developes new contacts and courses. Then each course like McClain etc can have a "social" club at that course. By social I mean a group of friends and people that play together and do things for that course. No need for all the crap that goes along with committees etc. Leave that up to LODGA / SADGA. If you want to do something on a larger scale outside of your club course then the LODGA / SADGA has the contacts, resources, and just as importantly the experience and standing to help wiht it.

I continue to see people try to reinvent the wheel, and spread thier resources, time, skills, etc way to thin. Stick together and grow in strength. Sort of like the PDGA having 20 divisions at a tournament with 30 players...what's the point?

I understand everyones passion for the sport and that is all great and will never be denied or frowned apon but listen to those with experience.

Just for anyone that does not know Vanessa is a legend in our sport and has been around since the 1970's and has experience all sorts so is very informed. (G'day Vanessa). I have been doing this for over 20 years as have people like Brian Schmidt. There must be a reason or two that all these people with all that experience from different parts of the country and world think along similar lines.

Anyone want to go out and have a throw? Your course or mine? I can pick you up from the airport in about 24 hours. :D

Yours in Flight,
Chris Himing

SAP
May 17 2007, 10:56 AM
G'day from Down Under. Remember me? :D

I have been keeping my good eye of all of this as I consider Live Oak my home course away from home. So please allow me to say a few words and offer a little advice.

Straight up front I will say I believe the best thing for the sport in San Antonio is to stick with one club or association as it is now under LODGA.

I do however think that the name should change to San Antonio DGA etc as people have mentioned all the new courses around outside of Live Oak.

I have been involved in all aspects of clubs, organisations etc as most of you know. It is not an easy thing and never will be as we all know. However breaking things up into "other clubs", "clics" or whatever you want to call it would not be in the best interest of the sport in that area.

My feeling is if anyone wants to start a "club" it should be purely course based and that the LODGA (or SADGA) oversee the entire lot. As an example...LODGA / SADGA runs the show, promotes the sport, buys discs, runs major events, developes new contacts and courses. Then each course like McClain etc can have a "social" club at that course. By social I mean a group of friends and people that play together and do things for that course. No need for all the crap that goes along with committees etc. Leave that up to LODGA / SADGA. If you want to do something on a larger scale outside of your club course then the LODGA / SADGA has the contacts, resources, and just as importantly the experience and standing to help wiht it.

I continue to see people try to reinvent the wheel, and spread thier resources, time, skills, etc way to thin. Stick together and grow in strength. Sort of like the PDGA having 20 divisions at a tournament with 30 players...what's the point?

I understand everyones passion for the sport and that is all great and will never be denied or frowned apon but listen to those with experience.

Just for anyone that does not know Vanessa is a legend in our sport and has been around since the 1970's and has experience all sorts so is very informed. (G'day Vanessa). I have been doing this for over 20 years as have people like Brian Schmidt. There must be a reason or two that all these people with all that experience from different parts of the country and world think along similar lines.

Anyone want to go out and have a throw? Your course or mine? I can pick you up from the airport in about 24 hours. :D

Yours in Flight,
Chris Himing

There's room for both and we have resources (it's not hard). We've applied ourselves and great things are starting to happen. Gosh, I wish we could have gotten this interest in December, when we tried to do this for LODGA. It was mentioned at the last couple of LODGA meetings and posted on a thread. No one remembers because some weren't interested and it wasn't organized enough to even host voting. The idea of a dues paying club was out of the question. However, league fees are pretty costly. So, even if we change the name we are still back where we were in December, should it be a dues paying club w/ order. Go back a see the thread on Live Oak/Should it be a dues paying club and compare the interest from that thread to this one. You'll notice a lot of jokes being made and topics irrelavent to the post and this post is just blowing up. HMMM...why is that?

We are not discouraged by a little hard work. That seems to keep coming up....it's a headache, it's hard work, one person will end up doing more of the work, no resourses....etc. What kind of attitude is that! A dues paying club can help assure that anyone running for officer will be responsible for the duties they are nominated for.

We are still young pups and in time we too will have more experience so, why try to discourage that? It has to start somewhere for us, SA, and the new courses coming to town.

So, do you have a good name for a SA Disc Golf Club?

SAP
May 17 2007, 12:21 PM

Which G? You haven't seen mine yet. And your not going to now. Geoffrey's is AWW-summm. Could I get a jpg 10.5" max?

Send us whatcha got..............beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Picasso and Van Gogh are very different artists; and were very successful. :D :) ;)

losotd
May 17 2007, 01:07 PM
Just a quick history on the name for LODGA. When our non dues paying club was started, it was started to run minis, leagues and tourneys in Live Oak and Universal City. There were NO courses in San Antonio, even after my repeated attempts to get the city to do something. Many, many hours of blood sweat and tears were spent by me to no avail.

So when the club idea came up we had a dimemma. What do we call the club. Well at the time Live Oak was taking the forefront in disc golf... remember Joe Painter? Most of the players were from Live Oak and UC, but we had players from SA, NB, Bandera, etc. So in honor of the amazing efforts of Live Oak in putting in 38 THIRTY EIGHT holes at no expense to the disc golfer, we selected Live Oak as the name and put disc golf ALLIANCE at the end, because in that spirit we were an alliance of players, not an association.

My views on dues are well documented so I won't go into them, but you can formalize more without dues. Aren't you raking in enough from the minis and league. What is this obsession with having people fork over more money for gawd knows what?

So there you go, as the official founding father of LODGA, I would stenuously object to a name change. But I have no problems with formalizing the club with a charter. But you better be pretty darn clear why you are asking for more money and what it is going to be used for and who is going to keep it safe and collect interest off of. BTW, it takes about a year to get non-profit status in the State of Texas and is expensive if you go that route.

DISConnected
May 17 2007, 02:56 PM
It occurs to me that SA Parks and Rec have yet to prove that they can put in and maintain a quality course.

Nani is a beginner course designed by a non-discer. As of Saturday, grass and weeds were 2 ft high.

McClain also is not being mowed regularly, and if it weren't for Shawn, would not be in the ground at all.

Pearsall park was delayed for over a year, is still not in the ground, and it remains to be seen what the final layout will look like.

If should be wary of offending the city of Live Oak, where the course is actually maintained, and another 18 holes planned at the college.

opereida
May 17 2007, 03:40 PM
It occurs to me that SA Parks and Rec have yet to prove that they can put in and maintain a quality course.

Nani is a beginner course designed by a non-discer. As of Saturday, grass and weeds were 2 ft high.

McClain also is not being mowed regularly, and if it weren't for Shawn, would not be in the ground at all.

Pearsall park was delayed for over a year, is still not in the ground, and it remains to be seen what the final layout will look like.

If should be wary of offending the city of Live Oak, where the course is actually maintained, and another 18 holes planned at the college.

Call Chuck Vanzdandt at 210-207-3066 of SA Parks and Rec and tell him about the grass. San Antonio has over 100 Parks to maintain and Live Oak has one. Anyways this is not a competition on who has the better course, which one is maintained better, etc;. Have patience, the city is working on this.

DISConnected
May 17 2007, 03:50 PM
I will call, and I'll be polite. But the fact is that SA has always had parks, and it always rains in the spring. We keep getting the same story...we're behind, we're working on it...etc.

SAP
May 17 2007, 04:04 PM
I'd love to see what we already have work. We aren't doing this to segrogate clubs.

Brian, you've done a great job working with what you had. Thank you for all your hard work, blood, and tears. Your ideas were the best thing that could of happened for Disc Golf. The fact is that disc golf is bigger here and now. Yeah, there was only Live Oak at the time and I've been honored to represent that. Now we'd like to represent SA and we can't do that under a Live Oak City name. SA Parks and Recreation are now more involved. I've tried to promote LODGA to them and they've made it very clear that LO has nothing to do with SA. That hurts me too but, I'm trying.

Personally, it would be easier to just change the name but, then again, we aren't looking for an easy way out. If it takes a year that's fine. If it takes 5 years, that's fine too. Do we just give up? No. I'm sure you're a little sad that your baby is growing up but, you should be very proud of yourself. I know I'm proud of you and here's a chance to have the rest of SA commend your hard work.

Honestly, I've asked what we have in the club fund. No one seems to know. Can anyone PM with the LODGA Club Fund balance? As a memeber I think I have a right to know. I show up at those mini's too. Bird has been to all the mini's but 1 so, I know that much of the balance.

I'm totally excited that many of you are excited too. Now that we have your attention maybe we can all agree on something. There will be a meeting soon and everyone is welcomed to say their peace.

Keep the great posts coming!!!

SAP
May 17 2007, 04:10 PM
I will call, and I'll be polite. But the fact is that SA has always had parks, and it always rains in the spring. We keep getting the same story...we're behind, we're working on it...etc.

You're just being silly now...............Birthday Boy!!!

Laura12670
May 17 2007, 04:20 PM
Ok, I've been busy at work, so I haven't had a chance to post on this thread or really read it until today. Plus I really didn't want to get in the middle of all this. But as a proud member of LODGA/CO-FOUNDER of the LOLO'S with Danielle Vargas and a resident of LO. I think I should put in my 2 cents about all this...

This is really getting out of hand, and in my opinion starting to make Disc Golf and LODGA look bad & if SA is reading this I think we need to resolve this before they decide to back out....

First I agree with Brian Schmidt, LODGA will NOT change their name. San Antonio, never wanted to start any disc golf clubs or courses, when Live Oak was already involved in DG since 1999 so again in my opinion I don't think SA deserves the credit for any major disc golf future we may have....

Stacey & Bird that's great you guys want to get SA involved and hopefully expand DG in SA and it's surrounding areas. But I have a concern which is about is your loyalty. You guys are friends of mine and Jim and I really luv ya guys, so this has nothing to do with our friendship.

My questioning your loyalty has to do with the fact that you guys just joined LODGA last year, what 6 months ago? I met y'all last year April and you guys didn't even start playing the mini's until this year? Correct me if I am wrong....

But what I see is that you both didn't like what you saw or felt like your opinion didn't matter I guess? So decided to start your own club? In other words you guys didn't even give LODGA a chance to show you what we do or have done in the past. All the charity, volunteer work, and help we have given to other DG clubs. Which helped build up the reputation that LODGA has now...

When Jim & I started getting involved in DG I didn't even play my first year I STAFFED! I volunteered my time, money and my home to anything that had to do with DG. That taught me what it takes to be a Disc Golfer a real Disc Golfer...

If you guys only really new what it takes to run a club, major tournament, League mini then you wouldn't be so worried about club dues! People forget what this sport is really about... It always comes down to money everytime!

Again I am not saying not to start your own club, your choice, but look at all this energy you are putting into talking about a new club, when you could be using that energy to make LODGA better.... Dues, etc.. all that can will come in time we first need to concentrate on making this club a better one. If SA wants to get involved, with DG & LODGA great! The more members the better that will help on establishing a dues paying club. I really think that having a seperate club is going to cause problems...

Disc Golfers will have to decide which mini to go to, which tourney to play, etc.. We already have that issue with out of town DG clubs. Any Disc Golfer who has been playing TX tourneys knows this problem with trying to decide which tourney to play when you have 3 all in one weekend and all within an 1 to 2 hours away... Now they have to decide that in their own town...

I think the main reason SA decided to finally to start getting involved with DG is because they noticed all the great things LODGA has done. They noticed how much LO park was being used, they noticed how great this sport is!! Again, BECAUSE OF LODGA!!

The main reason I question your loyalty, is because what will happen if you start your club and it doesn't go your way, will you leave them too?

Again, correct me if I am wrong, you guys are leaving LODGA right? Stacey you are leaving the LOLO's and starting your own SA ladies club? This is what I am reading and is concerning me... When you guys came into LODGA you were all gun ho about getting involved with LODGA and then the question about dues, etc. came about and you didn't get the response you wanted so now all of sudden you want to start a new club?

Again, hope this doesn't hurt your feelings and I do appreciate all the work you both have done for the LOLO's. You both are good friends of mine and Jimbob's I just think you should really give LODGA a chance and try to grow together. That way we can show SA that Disc Golf is a unity sport...

Again my just my 2 cents.... :cool:

See y'all tonight!!! :D:D

opereida
May 17 2007, 04:40 PM
I never once said anything about leaving LODGA. All I brought up was a thread on how I felt the club could become more organized and wanted more peoples opinions. This is not about not liking something and running away the first instance it doesn't go your way. I just don't feel like part of the Alliance when decisions are made by individuals and not the club. I wanted to see if others felt that way and how we could resolve that issue. Decisions are still being made by individuals. It's like an Inner circle or something. I'll say it over and over again how I appreciate all that Brian and The City of Live Oak has done for us but times are changing and we need to make some decisions. I still say for you and Brian to reconsider a name change. Is there any way we can vote on this? Members and Future Members.

There are no feelings hurt here and am glad to see people finally voicing their opinions. See you tonight. :)

Do you think their could be a Disc Golf Club Name without Live Oak or San Antonio in it?

High In The Chains Disc Golf Club
Overstable Disc Golfers
Ace Run Alliance

Probably not, huh?

The fact is that ever since the newspaper article came out about McClain and just Disc Golf in general, people are starting to want more in their own city. It's a pride thing just like you living in Live Oak and supporting the name LODGA.

SAP
May 17 2007, 06:24 PM
Ok, I've been busy at work, so I haven't had a chance to post on this thread or really read it until today. Plus I really didn't want to get in the middle of all this. But as a proud member of LODGA/CO-FOUNDER of the LOLO'S with Danielle Vargas and a resident of LO. I think I should put in my 2 cents about all this...

I don�t need a title to validate what we are trying to do. We�ve been over this Baby.

This is really getting out of hand, and in my opinion starting to make Disc Golf and LODGA look bad & if SA is reading this I think we need to resolve this before they decide to back out....

Please explain how spreading disc golf all around town is making you look bad. Not everyone is going to agree with me and I expect that from a club. That�s why we vote.

First I agree with Brian Schmidt, LODGA will NOT change their name. San Antonio, never wanted to start any disc golf clubs or courses, when Live Oak was already involved in DG since 1999 so again in my opinion I don't think SA deserves the credit for any major disc golf future we may have....

That point is already obvious but, now we are a growing disc golf community and it�s 2007 now.

Stacey & Bird that's great you guys want to get SA involved and hopefully expand DG in SA and it's surrounding areas. But I have a concern which is about is your loyalty. You guys are friends of mine and Jim and I really luv ya guys, so this has nothing to do with our friendship.

It�s not just Bird and I; and our friendship goes without saying.

My questioning your loyalty has to do with the fact that you guys just joined LODGA last year, what 6 months ago? I met y'all last year April and you guys didn't even start playing the mini's until this year? Correct me if I am wrong....

A member is a member no matter how long we�ve been involved. Thanks for making us feel welcomed. Newbies don�t count? That�s not very nice or inspiring.

But what I see is that you both didn't like what you saw or felt like your opinion didn't matter I guess? So decided to start your own club? In other words you guys didn't even give LODGA a chance to show you what we do or have done in the past. All the charity, volunteer work, and help we have given to other DG clubs. Which helped build up the reputation that LODGA has now...

You were there when we discussed this at the meeting. Tell me Baby��what happened�..I don�t recall you saying you agree or disagree. The first word out of your mouth was Brian this������..we commend everything he�s done. Please go back a read this thread thoroughly.

When Jim & I started getting involved in DG I didn't even play my first year I STAFFED! I volunteered my time, money and my home to anything that had to do with DG. That taught me what it takes to be a Disc Golfer a real Disc Golfer...
If you guys only really new what it takes to run a club, major tournament, League mini then you wouldn't be so worried about club dues! People forget what this sport is really about... It always comes down to money everytime!

It�s a sad truth but, money is how we live and recreate. Why not make the mini�s free then? As a member I nominate everything free�����nope that�s not how it works. I wish money wasn�t the issue, but it�s seems to be. How much do think we�d want to charge for a membership? Maybe after membership, mini fees wouldn�t be necessary or only a few bucks for club funds. These kinds of things can be discussed and voted on.

Again I am not saying not to start your own club, your choice, but look at all this energy you are putting into talking about a new club, when you could be using that energy to make LODGA better.... Dues, etc.. all that can will come in time we first need to concentrate on making this club a better one. If SA wants to get involved, with DG & LODGA great! The more members the better that will help on establishing a dues paying club. I really think that having a seperate club is going to cause problems...

It�s not my own club����it�s the cities.

Disc Golfers will have to decide which mini to go to, which tourney to play, etc.. We already have that issue with out of town DG clubs. Any Disc Golfer who has been playing TX tourneys knows this problem with trying to decide which tourney to play when you have 3 all in one weekend and all within an 1 to 2 hours away... Now they have to decide that in their own town...

It�s not like we are vultures���.mini�s can be hosted on different days. We�re not going to shut out San Marcos because we have a mini the same day. They were thoughtful enough to make theirs at a later time, which we can all participate in. If I start playing theirs on a regular basis then, I would want to join that club too and I welcome them to be LODGA members, too.

I think the main reason SA decided to finally to start getting involved with DG is because they noticed all the great things LODGA has done. They noticed how much LO park was being used, they noticed how great this sport is!! Again, BECAUSE OF LODGA!!

Can you blame SA for trying to strike the interests of their city? Now, why is that so bad? LODGA has my gratitude, as expressed in recent posts.

The main reason I question your loyalty, is because what will happen if you start your club and it doesn't go your way, will you leave them too?

Are you trying to kick us out or what? Please go back and read some more. Not everyone will agree, that�s why we create order and votes.

Again, correct me if I am wrong, you guys are leaving LODGA right? Stacey you are leaving the LOLO's and starting your own SA ladies club? This is what I am reading and is concerning me... When you guys came into LODGA you were all gun ho about getting involved with LODGA and then the question about dues, etc. came about and you didn't get the response you wanted so now all of sudden you want to start a new club?

I never said anything like that����.please read carefully before you put words out there. As a women player, I�d think you�d be excited to join another Ladies League. You�re right we didn�t get a response��..now this is a shock����..why? Finally somebody admits to us bringing this up!

Again, hope this doesn't hurt your feelings and I do appreciate all the work you both have done for the LOLO's. You both are good friends of mine and Jimbob's I just think you should really give LODGA a chance and try to grow together. That way we can show SA that Disc Golf is a unity sport...

This does disappoint me some but, I�ll get over it. I can share and I don�t need to feel validated for anything we�ve (not just Bird and I) done for everyone. No one is being left out and no one is trying to take credit for the paths paved in the past. Everyone should be proud of themselves for supporting Disc Golf in Live Oak.
Why not show that for SA?

Again my just my 2 cents.... :cool:

See y'all tonight!!! :D:D

[/QUOTE]

ozdisc
May 17 2007, 09:16 PM
I have already put my 2 cents in but I guess the exchange rate dictates I put 2 more in.

Forget I mentioned changing the name and read my last post again. No worries. I was not aware of a few of Brian points. By the way Joe Painter, Joe Minella and the crew are disc golf legends in my mind as well.

Bird you mentioned about club loyalty at McClain. Well that is what I was getting at about the "local social clubs".

Baby is correct about learning from the inside of what it takes to pull even a small mini or event together let alone a club or organisation. She not only helped but wanted to learn why and how. Baby learnt alot in that time and should be commended for it. Others should do the same, it really does help.

Bird I also saw you mention about what to do with club dues. By a t-shirt for members was one. Please do not ask for more money from people and give them a t-shirt. Is that what they really want? How many disc golfers already have a million t-shirts. If people want one they can decide later but not just as a membership thing. As I think Brian said think very hard about what and where the money will be used. Will $10 each from 10 new club members really help build a new course or promote the sport? Or is it just paying for someone to make a new club logo on a t-shirt or hat? LODGA has been there and done that all without a dues paying club and been very successful.

Stacey and Bird you both continue to say that decisions are being made by individuals. You are dead right. Even if you form a club and have a President, Vice Pres, Secretary etc they are still individuals with the same opinions and vote just a fancy name attached. It can even be worse as with that fancy name comes the whole power trip thing and "I am President" so I have final say sort of thing. This is not directed just at you both but to any situation like this anywhere in the world. It is happening in OZ as we speak. And guess what? I am the President of the whole **** thing. :D

Don't loose friendships from something like this no matter waht happens. Everyone has varying opinions, some express them more than others but keeping those all in one organisation is a stronger form.

Maybe it took something like this to kick people into gear more than just that original thread about dues paying clubs. Somethings take time to sink in. Maybe that time has come. Go back to LODGA and have that meeting again and I am sure things will be much more receptinve, communicative and productive for everyone.

The exchange rate just ran out. Thanks for listening.

I am sitting here writing this at my desk proudly with my #50 LODGA bag tag on the wall in front of me. :cool: Very nice.

Thanks
Chris

opereida
May 18 2007, 12:21 AM
We are starting a San Antonio Disc Golf Club. Again, not to rival any other club. It's not just about a T-Shirt. The following are my ideas on what Club Funds can be spent on:

1. Member Items (T-Shirts, Bag Tags, Membership Cards)

2. Club Functions ( League Party, Bar B Q)

3. Course Improvements (Tee Boxes, Baskets, Trash Cans)

4. Tournaments (LOSO Discs, Sponsorship for other Tourneys)

5. Many other ideas from future members.

Chris, I never mentioned Club Loyalty at McClain? :confused: I don' have any issues with anyone. Your last post is totally opposite from the first one. :confused: Sounds to me like you were infuenced somehow along the way.

Go back and read my posts....do you think I have at least one good idea? I am officially making a side challenge for your LODGA Bag Tag at the 2009 Australian Open. :D:D:) See you there.

SAP
May 18 2007, 12:57 AM
Stop making this seem like we're outlaws. There is no quick draw here. Friendship? Don't be silly......why are some of ya'll throwing that out there? I have a relationship with many of you and I also have a Disc Golf relationship. If I have a bad round, I don't just quit. Nor would I ever quit any of you.

Aussie, make up your mind and say what you mean, honestly. Your tune changed? Your the prime example of what's really going on here. I'm glad you mentioned kicking people into gear......that only tells me that you agree some things are missing.

We're starting a SA Club and thanks for the support (on your first post). Thanks really, thank you.

SAP
May 18 2007, 01:09 AM
I will always support LODGA in every way I can......for the love of this sport. Nothing will ever keep me from being a LODGA member. I'm spreading the love any way I can.

This is my last debate on whether or not this is going to happen. I think we might have agreed on a name for the club. When we have the first SA Club meeting, all members will have a vote on it. Thanks for all the great emails and graphics. Everything looks great! :)

It's a hot thread!!! That's how it starts!!! :cool::)

krazyeye
May 18 2007, 01:57 AM
I propose San Antonio Discers. SAD. Or San Antonio Discers against drunk golfin'. SADADG. Or (San Antonio Discers, But I Too Can't Hit Easy Shots.) cool acronym by the way. Just funnin' :D

ozdisc
May 18 2007, 02:24 AM
Something must have got lost in translation because the only thing I changed my mind on was the naming of LODGA to SADGA. I listened to the reasons why not and agreed.

As for starting a new club like you want my views haven't changed.

Remember Stacy and Bird as I have pointed out there is differences between a "formal club" like you want with fees, committees etc and a "social club" like I mentioned for each course. Big difference. Don't confuse the two when I give my opinions.

This has been all too much fun and at times I think I can jump in the car and drive down to Live Oak and have a round with everyone. Back to reality... :D

I hope for everyones sake in the area you guys work it all out in the short and long term.

Good luck with whatever happens.

Chris

PS. Bird your challenge for my tag is accepted.

opereida
May 18 2007, 06:23 AM
PS. Bird your challenge for my tag is accepted.

Cool...Laters Chris. Take Care :)

DISConnected
May 18 2007, 08:55 AM
I propose San Antonio Discers. SAD.

Yeah, that about sums it up.

losotd
May 18 2007, 09:57 AM
Still not clear on what LODGA is not providing to the players...

1. Member Items (T-Shirts, Bag Tags, Membership Cards)

Bag tags, check
T-Shirts can be made at any time and orders can be taken. Take the lead and do it.
Membership cards, I know I'm a member, don't need a card.

2. Club Functions ( League Party, Bar B Q)

League party with BBQ, check

3. Course Improvements (Tee Boxes, Baskets, Trash Cans)

Anytime we have asked, people have helped, the cities are responsible for the boxes, baskets and trash cans. More benches would be nice, take a colection and buy/build some.
Someone take the lead on this.

4. Tournaments (LOSO Discs, Sponsorship for other Tourneys)

LOSO Discs, check
Sponsorships, check

5. Many other ideas from future members.

No problem there, start a regularly scheduled club meeting and the 2 or 3 that attend can generate ideas. People want to play, not meet.

So the bottom line is if someone just takes the lead on a project, it gets done. Brian P. jumped on the scores for the league, they are now posted, thanks Brian. I need someone to take over the www.lodga.com (http://www.lodga.com) website, no takers yet, but I'll keep it going till such time. John Arick did some really cool things with benches and tee boxes at UC. He took the lead and it got done! Baskets were dug up at UC, we took the lead and concreted them back in and it got done.

Being a leader is not caling yourself the leader, it actually means stepping up, presenting a plan of action and steering it to a successful conclusion. Anyone can throw out ideas. I call this the Ralph Olguin effect. This guy at our church was always saying hey, lets have a raffle, or hey lets do a cake sale, and when he was asked to help, he says oh no, I just throw the ideas out, you guys make it work. So step up, get some compadres, and make happen what isn't happening. Just be prepared to deal with the malcontents and whiners who disagree with every decision you make. T-shirt design sucks, too expensive, wrong material, no xxl? Crap, you guys suck. Sounds silly, but it'll happen, ask Chris!

SAP
May 18 2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks, for the ideas.....updog. If that is agreed upon with the 15 (and counting) SA Club members........you'll have a free 1 year membership. :)

I'm working with the Express-News to get our meeting posted in and around a month. Look for us at your local course. Flyers will be distibuted and clinics will be provided. I love this sport........no time to waste......just throw it!

McClain is definetly in the works. Thanks for your patience and phones calls. It's a working progress and we hope to have McClain cleaned up for LOSO. I'll keep everyone informed on the next work day.

Thanks everyone for your time on this subject. We see a lot of good people coming together. LODGA we can already see you taking up our advice in the future....hope we inspired ya'll. :D

DISConnected
May 18 2007, 12:14 PM
Thanks, for the ideas.....updog. If that is agreed upon with the 15 (and counting) SA Club members........you'll have a free 1 year membership. :)

HUH? :confused:

Give it to Krazyeye--it was his idea.

I'm just saying it's SAD. :(

opereida
May 18 2007, 03:48 PM
So the bottom line is if someone just takes the lead on a project, it gets done. Brian P. jumped on the scores for the league, they are now posted, thanks Brian. I need someone to take over the www.lodga.com (http://www.lodga.com) website, no takers yet, but I'll keep it going till such time. John Arick did some really cool things with benches and tee boxes at UC. He took the lead and it got done! Baskets were dug up at UC, we took the lead and concreted them back in and it got done.

Being a leader is not caling yourself the leader, it actually means stepping up, presenting a plan of action and steering it to a successful conclusion. Anyone can throw out ideas. I call this the Ralph Olguin effect. This guy at our church was always saying hey, lets have a raffle, or hey lets do a cake sale, and when he was asked to help, he says oh no, I just throw the ideas out, you guys make it work. So step up, get some compadres, and make happen what isn't happening. Just be prepared to deal with the malcontents and whiners who disagree with every decision you make. T-shirt design sucks, too expensive, wrong material, no xxl? Crap, you guys suck. Sounds silly, but it'll happen, ask Chris!

I agree with you Brian and just wanted to make this post.

This thread has grown into arguing, insults (here or by PM's), taking sides, etc;. :( This was not my intent when I started this thread. I am also guilty of things I mention here. I like all of the individuals that I know who are posting here and think you all are good people. I try to be a good person myself and am not trying to make any enemies so please don't take it that way. Ask me if I regret starting this post and I will likely say yes. It just went crazy. I want to work with you all and not argue over these small things. Life is too short for us. Can we all just stop this back and forth nonsense at each other. I apologize if I offended anyone here, it was not intentional but I just got caught up in the moment. See you all at the mini's.......Bird

SAP
May 18 2007, 04:23 PM
I apologize too. It was easy to get caught in the moment. Not my intentions. Peace, see everyone out there.

Stacey Pereida

opereida
May 19 2007, 02:08 AM
Truly A City Of CHAMPIONS!!! GO SPURS GO!!! :) :cool:

Grog
May 19 2007, 07:32 AM
First Utah, then 2005 rematch, then http://www.andylackow.com/images/nba_trophy01.jpg

opereida
Jun 08 2007, 12:20 AM
Three more wins, then.......NBA Champion San Antonio Spurs!!!! :)

opereida
Nov 05 2007, 09:29 PM
We should have a San Antonio Disc Club Discussion Board Thread in 2008. Already sent PDGA our members list and the money. Please renew all PDGA Memberships through the Club and save $5.00 :cool:. Ignore the renewal form you receive from PDGA. Thanks to everyone for making this happen.

cuttas
Nov 08 2007, 09:13 PM
What up Tejas?????

I've got a buddy who is heading up to play San Antonio courses and Austin courses, He'll be there this weekend and wants to know which ones are not to miss. No pitch and putts please!!

Gracias-

opereida
Nov 08 2007, 11:11 PM
He must play Brian McClain Disc Golf Course. :cool:

We have minis on Saturdays. Sign up by 9:15 Tee off 9:30 am.

Open $10.00
Am $6.00

San Antonio areas BEST Course in my own opinion. Very Technical and has alot of everything (shots, distance, open, wooded, everything).

opereida
Nov 08 2007, 11:16 PM
We should have a San Antonio Disc Club Discussion Board Thread in 2008. Already sent PDGA our members list and the money. Please renew all PDGA Memberships through the Club and save $5.00 :cool:. Ignore the renewal form you receive from PDGA. Thanks to everyone for making this happen.

We as a club get one course directory, $5.00 off PDGA Membership and 5 issues of each Flying Disc Golf Magazine. These items will go back to the SADC Club Members. :cool: Can't wait till 2008, it's going to be a GREAT first year. :)

JerryChesterson
Nov 09 2007, 09:24 AM

We as a club get one course directory, $5.00 off PDGA Membership and 5 issues of each Flying Disc Golf Magazine. These items will go back to the SADC Club Members. :cool: Can't wait till 2008, it's going to be a GREAT first year. :)

Nice work Bird. Way to take the bull by the horns on this! I'm stoked to be a part of this in 2008.

opereida
Nov 12 2007, 11:31 PM
We are now an Official PDGA Affiliate Club :). I have the PDGA Club renewal forms and will start distributing to members soon (-$5.00 off membership). Thanks again for everyone's support for Disc Golf in the Alamo City. SADC!!!

geomy
Nov 14 2007, 01:43 PM
Congrats, Bird, and good luck with everything!

opereida
Nov 14 2007, 09:44 PM
We still need a logo for SADC. :) ;)