rollinghedge
Apr 24 2007, 03:39 PM
We have a problem with the teepads at one of our courses. They are ~4-5 years old and concrete. As long as it is dry, the grip is fine. However, playing in the AM or during/after any rain, it is like playing on ice. Anybody else have this problem or know of a solution? TIA.

bruce_brakel
Apr 24 2007, 06:20 PM
You could glue slip resistant industrial mats to them. Buy a brand that is designed for outdoor use.

Mikew
Apr 24 2007, 06:37 PM
I have no idea, it could be quite pricey, but sandblasting would work to roughen up the surface. At least a small patch at the front of each teepad.

ck34
Apr 24 2007, 06:43 PM
Never tried it but you might be able to slather on the cement that's used to patch cement cracks into a pattern that would add grip to the surface. I would ask at a place like Home Depot if they have suggestions or the proper way to do something like what you need. I'm sure that it's something that's been done before to "fix" cement surfaces that ended up being too slick for their intended purpose. Let us know what you ended up doing and how well it worked.

johnrock
Apr 24 2007, 07:34 PM
One of our tee pads didn't get the good broom texture when it was being finished so it used to be pretty slippery. After some time and no good (cheap) suggestions, I took muratic acid and poured it on the concrete then brushed it off. It seems to have done the trick. It's no longer slippery, and you can see where it was poured in lines from the bottle, so maybe a person could get creative and do some cool designs with it.

keithjohnson
Apr 25 2007, 10:41 AM
One of our tee pads didn't get the good broom texture when it was being finished so it used to be pretty slippery. After some time and no good (cheap) suggestions, I took muratic acid and poured it on the concrete then brushed it off. It seems to have done the trick. It's no longer slippery, and you can see where it was poured in lines from the bottle, so maybe a person could get creative and do some cool designs with it.

exactly...muratic acid works great, is relatively cheap and keeps pads from being slick for a long time....i used it in miami every spring and it lasted for a year with the pads that were in the shade or had tree berries making them slick..on a side note it also erases any graffiti that little "artists" paint on the pads...
just make sure you get a stiff,good plastic garage broom gloves for hands and long pants...and rinse with water when done...
when you broom the tee pads you don't need a whole lot of acid as it foams up, so you can use the foam on the middle to back of the pad...

hope this helps

keith

rhett
Apr 25 2007, 12:12 PM
Would it be a good idea to neutralize the acid after brushing and then rinse, instead of just diluting it?

Jeff_LaG
Apr 25 2007, 12:39 PM
We have a problem with the teepads at one of our courses. They are ~4-5 years old and concrete. As long as it is dry, the grip is fine. However, playing in the AM or during/after any rain, it is like playing on ice. Anybody else have this problem or know of a solution? TIA.

Don't know if it's the same problem, but at the MSDGC last August they were experiencing moist, super slick teepads at Pyramids. So they scrubbed all 18 teepads with bleach, which instantly fixed the problem.

the_beastmaster
Apr 25 2007, 12:41 PM

Don't know if it's the same problem, but at the MSDGC last August they were experiencing moist, super slick teepads at Pyramids. So they scrubbed all 18 teepads with bleach, which instantly fixed the problem.

Those were the rubber Fly pads though, not concrete.

tbender
Apr 25 2007, 01:02 PM
http://www.packserv.com/Data/Products/-1175377368.jpg

Definitely use all recommended safety gear when handling.

Water is what we use to neutralize spills here (that's our product above).

keithjohnson
Apr 26 2007, 11:05 AM
Would it be a good idea to neutralize the acid after brushing and then rinse, instead of just diluting it?

you use it straight... brush then rinse with water and acid/water runoff helps keep edges of tee pads clear of pesky weeds as a bonus!

for years i've been offering to do it in vegas or have their guys do it to help the pads and every time they "forget"... i told them this time in feb if it was like that when i come out in october , i was gonna do it for them regardless :D

it won't the am players, but maybe if some am players bugged the locals between now and october it might get taken care of before the event...

keith

gotcha
Sep 08 2007, 09:43 AM
Dr P posted some information on another thread (http://www.pdga.com/msgboard/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=737042&Main=709541#Post7 37042) regarding pervious concrete. The cost is more than conventional concrete, however, this environmentally friendly material sounds like it would work well for disc golf.

Concrete Network (http://www.concretenetwork.com/pervious/)
Pervious Pavement (http://www.perviouspavement.org/)
Other links (http://www.aces.edu/dept/extcomm/newspaper/jan22a04.html)

superberry
Sep 14 2007, 06:55 PM
Yep, people complain all the time about slippery concrete, but also complain about crusher dust (crushed stone) which does NOT SLIP EVER. I guess no one wins, when everyone wants concrete, but always complains about it.

MCOP
Sep 14 2007, 07:37 PM
Just paint the concrete with tennis court paint. Cheap fix that will make them look better (whatever color you want) and not loose there grip.

BTW Tennis court paint is just a concrete paint with special gritted sand added.