alexkeil
Apr 24 2007, 11:49 AM
Kenny calls uphill putts his greatest weakness (see the most recent DGWN interview). I've also read that Dave Feldberg actually modifies his aiming on uphill putts because he noticed a pattern of missing to the right. I've never really had any especial difficulty with putting uphill until recently. I switched to more of a pitch putt in the Kenny and Dave mold, and I've noticed I have a much harder time with uphill putts now. I'm missing to the right a lot. I think it's because I'm changing the angle at my waist, so I'm starting the disc a lot closer to my legs and am consequently pulling it to the right. I'd like to fix this without changing where I aim and expecting to pull the putt, so I was wondering what others have done to fix this problem, if anything.

MikeMC
Apr 24 2007, 01:00 PM
Some of the same issues that I'm haiving with driving uphill. I use a putting technique that uses weight shift. Tough to execute smoothly when on an uphill lie. Same with a jump putt. Bottom line: Whatever technique I use, the result is different when I'm on an uphill lie. Based on Climo's website, he uses weight shift. Tough to make the adjustment to get the same consistant result when you're fighting gravity. How do you get the same weight shift push as when you are on level ground then when going up hill? Do you go to a different "uphill" putt technique so you can maintain consistency?

One thing that I've started to do is consider the lie of where you are aiming your drive or upshot. If I have options, I'll aim farther from the basket if I can get a lie where I can execute my next shot. Why try to gain 10 feet if you end up on an uphill lie if 10 feet shorter gives me a level lie?

abee1010
Apr 24 2007, 01:18 PM
One thing that I've started to do is consider the lie of where you are aiming your drive or upshot. If I have options, I'll aim farther from the basket if I can get a lie where I can execute my next shot. Why try to gain 10 feet if you end up on an uphill lie if 10 feet shorter gives me a level lie?

That my friend is what golf is all about, weather you are using crooked sticks, discs, or a golden tee machine...

dehaas
Apr 24 2007, 01:34 PM
I straddle putt, and would much rather putt uphill than downhill with that stance. I tend to put a little bit of loft on my putts, and going uphill if I miss it's not normally a problem, but going downhill can be disastrous. I'll agree with you guys though, uphill misses tend to be on the right hand side of the basket.

JHBlader86
Apr 24 2007, 01:48 PM
I would say the best thing to do is straddle putt as well. Straddling uphill will help control the height of the disc and its accuracy. At least from my experience whenever I have to putt uphill.

ck34
Apr 24 2007, 07:32 PM
If it's more than a slightly uphill putt where the basket is at your head level or higher, try practicing an overhead upside down putt (not turbo but that might work, too). The higher starting point for the throw means a flatter trajectory of the disc that requires less lift and you get enough/more distance with less power. The disc comes in from the side so you don't get much chain push back like you do with the disc coming up into the chains from a steeper front angle. If the shot misses, the disc won't slide as much as it will on flat ground, assuming the slope is still upward, and you're less likely to catch an edge and roll away.

denny1210
Apr 24 2007, 08:01 PM
straddle's much better for putting uphill. the "back" end of your weight shift has gravity putting most of your weight (more or less evenly distributed between two legs) directly into the ground, thereby compressing both legs and allowing for good power.

I would bet that most uphill misses to the right (non-straddle)are due to lack of sufficient power from the legs which is compensated for mentally by "throwing" the disc which results in circular hip and shoulder rotation, coupled with hanging on too long.

best bet: turbo! often the basket is right at hand height and the uphill factor vanishes.

Apr 24 2007, 09:37 PM
The straddle put is A#1 putt for uphill putts by far.
If you are a RHBH player, next time you face this putt. Move your aim to the top left portions of the chains. They find their way into the basket every time , and it is almost as if you can not overpower the shot. They just go in.

dave_marchant
Apr 24 2007, 10:28 PM
I have always had problem with uphill putts. I've been know to 3-4 putt elevated baskets (not strictly "uphill" since your blow-by miss will give you yet another uphill putt).

I use the "foot forward" method of putting. I do not know if this is my "final answer, Regis", but what has helped me a lot recently is where I focus. On the flat I pick a chain link just slightly to right of center about 2/3's up and try to putt "through" that link (RHBH putt). I have found that when putting uphill, if I change my focal point to the pole's intersection with the upper chain support assembly, my putting does MUCH better. I try to really power my putt up into that point.

This is pretty much confirming what discboomer is saying, but modifying the focus point he suggests. I suggest playing around with your focal point as much as you play around with your putting/release style as you experiment to see what works for you.

Ruder
Apr 25 2007, 04:08 AM
Nothing wrong with forward stance on uphill. I use it and have very good success with it. Some good rules of thumb.

Aim higher. I like to aim somewhere between the top of the basket where the chains connect, or the nickel on top itself, it just depends on how steep it is. Angle of choice: hyzer putt with a pitch.

The most common spit you will see is chaining to the left, or falling out in front. A good cure for this is to throw your putter (RH) into the top right of the chain, this spot throws the disc back into the center of the basket.

I can probably take some video for demonstration if anyone is interested.

pnkgtr
Apr 25 2007, 04:41 AM
Putt the way you do with a stiff tailwind. It works for me.

gregbrowning
Apr 25 2007, 01:05 PM
I got a great tip from My_Hero about missing putts low. I had been having that problem for a while since switching to the straddle putt. I was hitting the pan pretty consistently from 20+. He told me to get set and go through the readying motions, then right before I throw to raise my chin up just slightly. It worked instantly and I have found that exaggerating this action a bit has helped a great deal on my uphill putts.

Apr 25 2007, 01:16 PM
Nothing wrong with forward stance on uphill. I use it and have very good success with it. Some good rules of thumb.

Aim higher. I like to aim somewhere between the top of the basket where the chains connect, or the nickel on top itself, it just depends on how steep it is. Angle of choice: hyzer putt with a pitch.

The most common spit you will see is chaining to the left, or falling out in front. A good cure for this is to throw your putter (RH) into the top right of the chain, this spot throws the disc back into the center of the basket.

I can probably take some video for demonstration if anyone is interested.

I disagree. Most RHBH putts miss right side chains for the majority of disc golfers. That is why I aim left, it helps incase you pull your putt for that extra power!

abee1010
Apr 25 2007, 01:54 PM
It depends on how you putt, but for most RHBH putters, the right side of the basket is considered the 'strong' side because your putter is more likely to catch if you miss to the right side due to the spin of the disc.

This can be different if you putt on an anhyzer line, but in general due to spin, the right side of the basket will catch a RHBH putt more consistantly than the left side...

Apr 25 2007, 02:02 PM
just straddle putt and aim higher

sandalman
Apr 25 2007, 02:36 PM
straddle. get your butt down farther than usual. this creates more space directly in front of your belly... space you'll need because you'll need to putt more forcefully than you would on level land. now lift your chin so that the jaw is parallel to the ground. this helps get the vertical line correct. finally, remember that the basket is above you, so aim higher than usual (even above the basket - practice until you know for sure), then putt stron and confidently. nothing like a 50 footer up a hill to stomp a heel into the competition's face... you can hear them thinking 'no way he's gonna make this one" :D

my_hero
Apr 25 2007, 04:41 PM
....or you can simply make sure the underside of chin is parallel to the slope you are putting up. If you tend to putt low on flat ground simply lift you chin a tad. You'll usually see instant results.

ChrisWoj
Apr 25 2007, 11:43 PM
On uphill putts I tend to utilize more of a line-drive than on a level putt. Shooting level I toss it with a slight hyzer to dead-straight and give it a little pitch so it is falling as it goes into the chains. On uphill putts I've noticed some inconsistency with this method and I've started to line them in a little stronger. Although it makes for the opportunity to bounce straight back if I hit too high, I've found that the accuracy on the uphill is far greater. Plus, with the ground sloping uphill there is less opportunity for a miss to blow too far by.

Greg_R
Apr 26 2007, 07:04 PM
Putting uphill is always going to be harder because the target height is smaller. From a low position you may have 8-12" of total visible chain where from above you'll have significantly more visible chain.

Any time you try and putt 'harder' you will be prone to yanking the disc to the right (wrist breaks and pulls the disc 1-2 ft to the right).

sandalman
Apr 26 2007, 08:51 PM
straddle putting will help fix the yank-right thing. so will working on your mechanics. there is no reason putting harder needs to push you to the right.

alexkeil
Apr 27 2007, 03:36 PM
....or you can simply make sure the underside of chin is parallel to the slope you are putting up. If you tend to putt low on flat ground simply lift you chin a tad. You'll usually see instant results.

Interesting... I'll have to try this. I'll be playing Rennaissance in Charlotte this weekend, so I guess that will be the perfect place to try it. Thanks to all who responded, but most of you suggested a major overhaul of my putting technique or learning a rather obscure technique that I will probably never develop good muscle memory for. Or, as one of you suggested, I need to "work on my mechanics". I am a solid putter with consistent technique on flat ground and on downhill putts (my mechanics are sound), but just wanted a small tweak to work on for the uphill stuff. I've caught myself in the past "looking down" while putting, and I noticed a big difference when I brought my chin up. Haven't noticed it yet on hills, but I'll try to find out if that's the case. Thanks My Hero.

ck34
Apr 27 2007, 04:10 PM
Interesting that you're playing the course where I sank an overhead upside down putt I suggested when down in the valley 15 feet below the #2 basket in a torunament. Good luck. I also like the chin up tip also for less severe uphill putts.

my_hero
Apr 27 2007, 04:52 PM
Let me know what you think Alex.

Here's the hole Chuck is talking about... :D

Now that is SWIRLicious!!!!!!

http://www.par72discgolf.com/146/images/maiuro_hole_2_renny.jpg

ck34
Apr 27 2007, 04:54 PM
I was about 15 feet back of the guy in the photo for the one I canned to save three.

my_hero
Apr 27 2007, 04:55 PM
That guy is ME.....30 pounds lighter though... :confused: :D

alexkeil
Apr 30 2007, 01:02 PM
Thankfully, I never ended up down there this weekend. However, Renny got the best of me in a big way. My uphill putting was much improved by the chin tip, so thank you. And Chuck... while I never tried an upside down turbo, I did sink my only turbo putt of the weekend. Small consolation, but consolation, nonetheless.

colin-evans
May 16 2007, 10:47 AM
30 pounds lighter though

You wear it well. :)