alexkeil
Apr 11 2007, 11:19 AM
Do you pick a spot as far down the fairway as you can see to aim at? Or do you aim like a bowler and pick a spot that's relatively close? Does it depend on the type of hole? Other thoughts on picking a focal point?

abee1010
Apr 11 2007, 02:40 PM
I aim fairly close to me. I try to envision the entire line of flight of the disc. Then when I throw, I just try to get the disc started on this line and let the disc do the rest of the work...

I used to have problems with my disc height. I was able to correct this by picking a tree about halfway between myself and the target and I would try to throw the disc to be about 20ft high when it passed that tree. That technique worked well to correct my height issue...

MTL21676
Apr 11 2007, 02:45 PM
For fields I pick something in the distance.

For wooded holes, I focus on hitting the primary gap of the hole. Disc selection is very important here b/c I am not focusing on how / when the disc will turn, rather how I want my disc to hit the gap and where.

Coryan
Apr 11 2007, 03:16 PM
It depends on the hole. At our local course we have a wide open 200 ft. hole with a house about 400 ft. behind the hole. I aim at the blue door on the house because it is just right of the basket. With a slight fade, my disk should drop under the basket (I'm hoping!).

But on holes with lots of trouble between the tee and hole, I am for a particular gap in the trees. But this is still the exception for me.

The problem with the bowler idea is what can you focus on between you and the basket that won't interfer with your disk if you hit it? If I use a mark on the ground (rock, bush, etc.), I am likely to throw too low. So I prefer to find a mark beyond where I want my disk to land. This also helps me focus on getting the most out of my disk on longer holes.

abee1010
Apr 11 2007, 04:11 PM
That is why it is important to first develop a mental image of the flight path that the disc will take. Then you aim to get the disc started on that flight path...

readysetstab
Apr 11 2007, 10:23 PM
always something in the distance. even on wooded holes. i just aim for something (another tree.. whatever) that is within the gap that i want to throw through. helps to keep my eyes and mind off of the trees that i might hit. it's been very successful for me.

bschweberger
Apr 11 2007, 10:38 PM
I just picture the shot flying in my head and i throw, I NEVER Aim, except when putting.

johnbiscoe
Apr 12 2007, 11:16 AM
never aim for something you don't want to hit, if you do you are merely providing negative reinforcement when you throw a perfect shot and actually do hit whatever you were aiming at.

DSproAVIAR
Apr 12 2007, 11:24 AM
I just picture the shot flying in my head and i throw, I NEVER Aim, except when putting.

Do you line up your feet, body or shoulders a certain way? Or do you just face the target like you would face a person if you were talking to them?

alexkeil
Apr 12 2007, 11:26 AM
I like this, Schweb. It seems very compatible with what a lot of sports psychologists say. Don't overthink, just perform what you've practiced. That said, is there anything you work on (visually speaking) in practice that helps you hit your lines consistently (aside from just being consistent with form and routine)? After moving to the North Carolina Area from Santa Cruz a few months ago, I am still struggling with hitting gaps. I suspect, though, that Schweb is alluding to the fact that I might hit more gaps if I wasn't worried so much about "aiming". I'm sure it has a lot to do with form consistency, as well, since I've changed a lot since watching some of the great NC pros throw.

skaZZirf
Apr 12 2007, 01:56 PM
Schweb is right for me...You have to see the entire shot before you throw it...Just follow the flight you just saw in you head. Aimin at a spot is bad(IMO) because as you get better you'll start hitting that spot, ans its probably a tree...

Greg_R
Apr 12 2007, 02:46 PM
Do you line up your feet, body or shoulders a certain way?

My foot position tends to control my aim (i.e. accurate run up is critical for me). IMO this reduces the rip-point variables.

nanook
Apr 12 2007, 04:52 PM
Schweb is right for me...You have to see the entire shot before you throw it...Just follow the flight you just saw in you head. Aimin at a spot is bad(IMO) because as you get better you'll start hitting that spot, ans its probably a tree...

Of course this is assuming the object you are aiming at is between you and the location you are trying to reach. If you are picking an object to aim at that is beyond the limit of the disc's flight that isn't really a problem. I never realized how much I rely on picking an aiming point in the background behind the hole until I played in a decent amount of fog. Even when I could see the basket I had trouble hitting my desired line (and judging distances too!).

nanook

bschweberger
Apr 12 2007, 09:47 PM

Do you line up your feet, body or shoulders a certain way? Or do you just face the target like you would face a person if you were talking to them?

I always try to take my runup in the line that I am trying to throw on.

bschweberger
Apr 12 2007, 09:50 PM
I like this, Schweb. It seems very compatible with what a lot of sports psychologists say. Don't overthink, just perform what you've practiced. That said, is there anything you work on (visually speaking) in practice that helps you hit your lines consistently (aside from just being consistent with form and routine)? After moving to the North Carolina Area from Santa Cruz a few months ago, I am still struggling with hitting gaps. I suspect, though, that Schweb is alluding to the fact that I might hit more gaps if I wasn't worried so much about "aiming". I'm sure it has a lot to do with form consistency, as well, since I've changed a lot since watching some of the great NC pros throw.

When trying to hit gaps try not to turn your head away from the fairway as much, the longer you can see your line the beTTer chance you will have hiTTing your line. You might lose a liTTle distance from this but accuracy overcedes power.

klemrock
Apr 13 2007, 11:02 AM
When trying to hit gaps try not to turn your head away from the fairway as much, the longer you can see your line the beTTer chance you will have hiTTing your line. You might lose a liTTle distance from this but accuracy overcedes power.

This is something I've recently discovered! And so true!
I sometimes turn my head/neck backward toward my reachback because it seems to allow me a more full turning motion. However, this can negatively affect my aim, even when I keep the visualization of the fairway in my head.
When I keep my head/neck straight and focused on my intended line, it goes where I aim.
The trick (for noodlearms like me) is to keep practicing this form FIRST, and then work to increase distance.

eddie_ogburn
Apr 13 2007, 11:05 AM
Like schweb said, take your run-up on the line you are going to throw on. It makes your shot much more smooth. When I'm trying to hit a gap, I aim for something in the distance through the gap (maybe a tree or the basket). I don't focus too much on the gap as much as being smooth. I find that if I focus on the two trees I have to throw through (aka the gap) I'll usually end up hitting one of them. Obviously 4 different people have told you 4 different things so just go out and find what works best for you.

alexkeil
Apr 23 2007, 11:54 AM
Just wanted to say thank you to all of the great players who responded to this. I've been trying some of what's been suggested, and I feel as if my consistency has been steadily improving. In the past, I've only been taking an X step (3 step) run up, and since reading this, I've discovered that I have a hard time starting myself out in the right direction (thus, feeling like I have to "aim"). I tried a 5 step run up, and it's really seemed to help me get going in the right direction and throw on more consistent and predictable lines. I would have expected to start spraying discs in every direction since there is more chance for a physical mistake, but it really seems to have had a positive affect. Thanks again, and I always appreciate advice from good/great players. It's a part of why the MB is so great.