doot
Mar 22 2007, 05:54 PM
I vaguely recall using this excel file in the past, but as I try to enter any data to this file it's password protected.

http://www.pdga.com/competition/ratings/CalcSSAtemp06plus.xls

Is this tool no longer available for public use? :confused:

ck34
Mar 22 2007, 06:03 PM
The only cells protected are the ones with formulas, not the ones you enter data.

I just checked and it may not work if you click and open it from the link. But if you download it first, then open it offline, it works just fine.

MTL21676
Mar 22 2007, 06:56 PM
The only problem with ratings calcs like this are they are comparing your score to the course rather than the field. Now I personally believe that comparing to the course is the way it should work (in basic terms), but since the calculation is compared to the field, it will not be very accurate as to what your round would truly be rated.

ck34
Mar 22 2007, 07:00 PM
Not sure what you mean? This template calculates ratings the same basic way using players' ratings and their scores during a round, just like the unofficial ones online. However, it doesn't know if a player is a propagator or not.

MTL21676
Mar 22 2007, 07:01 PM
Oh I thought it was a personal ratings calculator for practice rounds.

Is that not what it is?

ck34
Mar 22 2007, 07:03 PM
It's a template for leagues. But if you put values in for a single round, it works just like the unofficial round ratings online. It's also a way for a new course to get an estimated SSA from local play of a half dozen rated guys getting together to test it.

MTL21676
Mar 22 2007, 07:11 PM
ah, my mistake - very cool then!

Jroc
Mar 23 2007, 05:32 PM
Speaking of password protection.....

Is the Scores portion of the 2007 Electronic TD report password protected? The scoring program I use has the functionality to prepare the Scores portion of the Electronic TD report on it....which could be pasted directly into the TD report. In years past, I have had to manually enter all the data because password protection did not allow me to cut and paste the scores.

rhett
Mar 23 2007, 05:34 PM
You can paste by columns, as long as you are careful. You can't paste over protected or merged cells.

Jroc
Mar 23 2007, 05:44 PM
maybe thats what Im doing wrong....Im trying to paste the whole thing. I'll test that out then, thanks

rhett
Mar 23 2007, 06:00 PM
Oops. I was talking about the electronic TD Report. :o It might be the same for the rating calculator, so it's still worth giving a shot.

sandalman
Mar 26 2007, 11:05 AM
how come when i put 10 players with the same ratings into the spreadsheet, then have them play ten rounds where they all get the same score... their ratings change... and the change is different based on the original rating:

800 becomes 854
850 becomes 874
900 becomes 911
950 becomes 957
975 becomes 979
1000 becomes 1001
1025 becomes 1023
1049 becomes 1043

?

ck34
Mar 26 2007, 11:34 AM
Why would you not expect them to change or be different? Adding more rounds shouldn't change anything since the calculation is based on an average score which won't change for a person if you have one or ten of the same scores for a player. If you just put one player in with a single score, then change that player's rating to 50 points different, but leave in the same round score, the SSA of the course and their resulting ratings changes will be somewhat different, with that difference magnified the farther from a 1000 rating a player gets.

sandalman
Mar 26 2007, 11:56 AM
i would not expect the rating to change because all players are rated the same and they all shot the same score.

so the question remains: if all players have the same rating and all shoot the same score, why in the world would i expect their rating to change?

ck34
Mar 26 2007, 12:08 PM
An 850 player who shoots a 50 is not playing the same course as a player with a 900 rating who shoots a 50 and they will not end up with the same rating if the calculations are only using their score. There's also the adjustment factor in there that adjusts the SSA slightly the farther the average rating of the propagators is from 975. That's the famous Am/pro adjustment added a year ago. The template you're using also has a small boost still in it. The latest template which HQ has had for a while still hasn't been put online for downloading. However, that will only shift a rating by a few points.

sandalman
Mar 26 2007, 12:33 PM
ok, forget the comparison to other ratings... i confused things by added those examples.

take ten 900 rated players who all record 55s for a single round. their "local rating" shows as 911.

ck34
Mar 26 2007, 01:12 PM
The only player who gets the same round rating as their rating by shooting a 55 (or most scores) is the 1005 rated player in that template. The slight SSA boost remaining in there offsets the slight penalty from the Am/Pro adjustment. And, it doesn't make any difference if 10 players or one player of the same rating shoots the same score in that model. When one player shoots a score for calculations to be made, if their rating is lower than 1005, they will get a higher round rating than their rating. If their rating is over 1005, they will get a lower round rating than their rating.

sandalman
Mar 26 2007, 01:28 PM
ok, thanks. that helps clarify things a bit. i appreciate it.

donnie1980
Mar 27 2007, 06:02 PM
Can you enter round data from two different courses and get accurate local ratings. Dont care about ssa just want the ratings.

ck34
Mar 27 2007, 06:12 PM
That's what it's for. However, you probably want to only put one round of data in two separate copies of the spreadsheet so you can get individual round ratings for each course rather than put both rounds of scores in one spreadsheet and get an average rating of the two rounds.

donnie1980
Mar 27 2007, 08:34 PM
One more question.. are the propagators based on PDGA rating or local rating once they are established.

ck34
Mar 27 2007, 08:40 PM
Not sure what you mean? If you have PDGA ratings for players you can enter them. It doesn't know whether the rating you enter is official or a locally produced rating. It also doesn't know if the player is a propagator. The only way you know is to look up each player and see if their rating is based on at least 8 rounds.

donnie1980
Mar 28 2007, 10:50 AM
Guess I said that wrong. When you calculate a rating for a round it is done by what other players of a certain rating shot. Or at least that was my understanding. My question is will this sheet base ratings on the PDGA rating I enter or the Local Ratings once they are established.

ck34
Mar 28 2007, 11:45 AM
Whatever rating you enter for a player in column B on the Determine SSA page, will be the ratings used to calculate ratings for a round. So, you can put PDGA ratings or local ratings or mixed in that column B for each player and the calculations will be made.

donnie1980
Mar 28 2007, 11:46 AM
Thanks.