jstites
Mar 15 2007, 04:47 PM
I throw a flick/forearm 98% of the time. To my understanding, my one finger (index finger) grip is unorthodox. This is the grip I felt most comfortable with when I first started and have not changed it since.

My one complaint is that my finger gets pretty sore if i play multiple rounds. It feels like a bruise just above the first joint from the top. Aside from changing my grip, is there anything I can do to relieve or stop the pain from developing? Has anyone had the same problem?

I really don't want to change grips. My driving accuracy and distance are pretty good. But if worse comes to worse, I will attempt a change.

crotts
Mar 15 2007, 05:20 PM
Tylenol / learn how to backhand.

: ) :

Wolfpack77
Mar 15 2007, 06:24 PM
I throw almost all my drives forehand and used to use one finger. You really should learn the 2 finger approach more control, power and it doesn't tire my arm out. But the previous post is right you have to develop a backhand a forearm will only get you so far.

geomy
Mar 15 2007, 06:26 PM
I use the same unorthodox one-finger grip. If you use it as much as you say, you should be developing a nice callus between the top and middle knuckle on your first finger. Mine is re-callusing after a couple months of not playing much.

As fas as it hurting, it might a little at first, but then mine has never bruised. Cold weather is a little painful too. Or

Tylenol / learn how to backhand.

: ) :

jstites
Mar 15 2007, 07:43 PM
I can't backhand drives due to a baseball injury. My shoulder does not like to stay in the socket when I rip one. Not much can be done about it. C'est la vie.

Next round.....IcyHot

xterramatt
Mar 15 2007, 08:03 PM
I'm getting pretty good at the forehand. Mainly it's a backup though. I started with the 1 finger, I seemed to generate more distance that way, but it was kinda wild. I am currently working the anhyzer flex pretty well through the trees. I am amazed at how accurate I am with a variety of discs, from a Champion Whippet to a Star TeeRex, to a Champion and DX Orc, and even a DX valk. Go figure.

I can see how that can get sore.

My major problem is wide open shots. I can't get my body to visualize the line to the basket, and my arm sorta flails into a sorta overhand. Gotta work that crap out.

rickett
Mar 19 2007, 03:30 PM
If it is sore from hyperextension or otherwise bending wrong, you may be able to tape it using some strong athletic tape to help support it.

I'm not sure how throwing with just one finger works, so that might mess your throw up. Something to try.

nc_discgolfer
Mar 21 2007, 05:19 PM
I started out with the one finger grip and was doing well with it until one of the local pros showed me the 2 finger grip and the advantages it has over the one finger grip. So I switched to 2 finger and never went back. It took about 2 months to get use to it but was well worth it. SO SWITCH TO THE 2 FINGER GRIP AND YOUR FINGER WILL STOP HURTING!!!!! Plus you get more D with it!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Drew32
Mar 21 2007, 06:06 PM
Yea you definitely get more control (nose up/nose down)with the 2 finger altho you get a cleaner release with one finger.Its give and take. I throw with 2 finger while J Dobbins throws with one...from a standing position and he usually out-drives me by 20 feet. Go figure :p

jstites
Mar 21 2007, 06:32 PM
Is the two finger grip just index and middle stacked together on the rim?

nc_discgolfer
Mar 21 2007, 11:48 PM
Yes, your middle finger is against the rim with your index finger stacked next to it. For a pic go to the Innova site and check out Dave's tips page.

JLE
Mar 22 2007, 11:32 AM
Hi Stitanic,

If you want to throw 2 finger sidearms, you have to watch this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOECjLjhiTI

This is Disc Golf clinic from Discraft presenting several technics for forehands.
I come from Ultimate where I use sidearms most of the time and on long range shots. I just couldn't make it at Disc Golf before watching this video, since then, I can thow a straight sidearm on 350ft :) (I like the spectraa from discraft for sidearms)
Hope it will do the same for you

nc_discgolfer
Mar 23 2007, 12:10 AM
You can see the same video @ the DISCRAFT site. It will be alot cleaner video there.:cool:

Mar 25 2007, 11:59 AM
the video iam about 2 post is not 2 be taken 4real here goes....

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ntwh6AOjbVs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ntwh6AOjbVs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Nohair
Mar 25 2007, 01:00 PM
that was so sad that it made me laugh