dionarlyn
Mar 09 2007, 06:51 AM
This may seem like an odd post, but I was wondering if anyone could help explain an interesting phenomenon I came across while sucking it up at the Memorial.

On Friday evening I was playing the Vista course with my super beat up aviar. I was having a 'putter challenge' with a fellow competitor. When we came to the par 5 hole three, I set down back to back rollers that almost carried me pin high, so around 970'-1020'.

I know Vista had some great rolling ground, but should a putter be able to do that consistently? Or did I just throw some fluke monster rollers? Maybe someone out there has had more experience rolling putters and has some good feedback.

doot
Mar 09 2007, 09:45 AM
Not throwing, but watching..

At a one disc tournament last year I saw Moser unleash a few 350'+ rollers on flat and slightly uphill ground at Tyler with his Aviar.

It can be done, and quite successfully.

I think I read from Blake that one can regularly gain at least 10% distance rolling a disc than traditional flight. Obviously there's a dozen factors that goes into this though..

johnbiscoe
Mar 09 2007, 12:00 PM
i believe randy lahm rolled an aviar some ridiculous distance (1000ft +?) at one of the big d in the desert contests a few years back- i'm sure someone will correct me if this is wrong.

MTL21676
Mar 09 2007, 01:10 PM
Correct Jon,

not sure about the actually distance, but the record for rolling is with an avair.

I roll avairs for short rollers in the 220 - 280 mark.

c_trotter
Mar 09 2007, 02:02 PM
I believe Randy rolled one over 1000+ meters, not feet. They were chasing it in a car! At the dry lake bed, discs can be laying flat on the ground and get picked up by the wind. They will roll until they hit something which can be over 1 mile away.

I might have the record for longest shot without actually throwing it. I dropped a disc that went rolled well over 1000 meters. Dunipace fetched it on his bicycle. :confused:

Aviars roll great. I like to throw them for touch two-finger rollers. I have also seen Sam Ferrans roll them a mile.

klemrock
Mar 09 2007, 02:27 PM
Although I've never achieved much distance rolling an Aviar, they are fairly easy to control. Using the 2-finger touch, as mentioned above, I've had some success in the 100'-200' range.
I'm interested in how a Blowfly might roll . . . .

Coryan
Mar 16 2007, 01:36 PM
Although not my favorite disc for rolling, the Aviar does do a good job. I use it for finesse rolls around trees and for shorter distances. But I can image that one could roll a long distance as well. I just have never tried.

seewhere
Apr 24 2007, 06:34 PM
roll a polecat :D