Kette_Master
Mar 06 2007, 05:30 PM
I'm working on throwing flat and straight. I can throw a Roc this way, but I'm having inconsistent results with drivers. What disc is the best learning tool to "fix" my drives? ie. If you can throw a --insert disc name here-- flat and straight it will help with your driving technique.

Big E
Mar 06 2007, 05:42 PM
comet from what i have heard. I use a millennium Aurora MS as far as drivers go I have always liked the cheata!

ck34
Mar 06 2007, 05:43 PM
Champion Roadrunner, Champ Sidewinder or Orion LS are my straight drivers.

accidentalROLLER
Mar 06 2007, 05:44 PM
anything understable

ck34
Mar 06 2007, 05:46 PM
I haven't had a chance to throw it yet but the DGA Rogue may fly straight.

Boneman
Mar 06 2007, 05:59 PM
Star Leopard ;)

the_beastmaster
Mar 06 2007, 06:01 PM
Slightly beat up DX Teebird. In lieu of having a beat up one on hand, a Star TL.

Mar 06 2007, 06:25 PM
X-Avengers, anyone?

if not, then the Cyclones..

Mar 06 2007, 07:08 PM
viking, valkyrie, leopard, millennium LS, XL.

my_hero
Mar 06 2007, 07:15 PM
Acutally, the best all around disc you can use to practice with is an Ultra Star or a Free Style disc. Learn to manipulate one of these lids and golf discs become REALLY EASY to throw and predict.

Mar 07 2007, 11:16 AM
Acutally, the best all around disc you can use to practice with is an Ultra Star or a Free Style disc. Learn to manipulate one of these lids and golf discs become REALLY EASY to throw and predict.

would you think that the whittler would also be appropriate for this exercise?

mikeP
Mar 07 2007, 12:29 PM
I'm working on throwing flat and straight. I can throw a Roc this way, but I'm having inconsistent results with drivers. What disc is the best learning tool to "fix" my drives? ie. If you can throw a --insert disc name here-- flat and straight it will help with your driving technique.

If you want to learn to throw flat (I assume meaning flat release and not hyzer-flip) then the Teebird is your best bet. If you can learn to put the Teebird out flat and straight it will behave just like your Roc only longer and faster. Making a disc fly flat and straight for most of it's flight is something different altogether requiring a less stable disc, hyzer release, and a good deal of finesse (aka-years of practice :eek:).

Kette_Master
Mar 07 2007, 01:12 PM
...many good replies and suggestions. Let me clarify a bit what I'm asking. I'm looking for a disc that will magnify any problems that I have with my throw. ie. off-axis rotation, release, nose-angle, etc.

Big E
Mar 07 2007, 01:25 PM
I personally think the best disc is a disc that is not as overstable as a teebird (in my opinion it takes up the error in your throw). Learn to throw something that flies perfectly straight with no fade at the end. that way when you pull the disc you see it immediately. just my own .02 I just picked up a comet for that reason and its part of my discraft merge!

JRauch
Mar 07 2007, 01:27 PM
Any ultimate disc will help fix your technique, but I would recomend learning to throw an aviar p&a full power with a power without having it turn over.

rollinghedge
Mar 07 2007, 01:46 PM
devilhawk

discette
Mar 07 2007, 02:17 PM
Aviar Putt and Approach

my_hero
Mar 07 2007, 02:47 PM
Any ultimate disc will help fix your technique,

That's what i suggested. Once i learned to freestyle a little, my golf game elevated exponentially. Learning to throw a "lid" such as the UltraStar, made ALL golf discs seem WAY over stable(even the roller type discs).....which means predictable.

Why not learn to throw a lid full power? I did. So glad i did too.

poisonelf
Mar 07 2007, 02:49 PM
X comet hands down

JRauch
Mar 07 2007, 03:23 PM
Any ultimate disc will help fix your technique,

That's what i suggested. Once i learned to freestyle a little, my golf game elevated exponentially. Learning to throw a "lid" such as the UltraStar, made ALL golf discs seem WAY over stable(even the roller type discs).....which means predictable.

Why not learn to throw a lid full power? I did. So glad i did too.

The only problem I have with lids is that a nose up throw with a lid is less noticable than a nose up throw with a golf disc. So someone could think they are throwing a lid correctly when in fact they are throwing nose up. This would cause all golf discs to behave more stable than they should and would be takeing away any distance from the throw. I would recomend throwing an Aviar like I said because it is easier and I think that it help fix everything (technique wise) just as well as a lid except for off axis tourque. But if you can learn to throw an aviar you can throw anything. I know the same goes for lids but I feel aviars are easier to learn so you might as well save yourself the hassel unless you plan on playing cross over game.

Greg_R
Mar 07 2007, 04:17 PM
My answer would be 'no driver'. Work on throwing your Roc low, straight and long (like 300ft+). A putter will highlight form issues even more.

For straight drives, I would suggest a Leopard or Teebird. Keep in mind that these _will_ tail off at the end of their flights (more than a midrange or putter). Big-rim discs (Wraith, etc.) are IMO harder to control when you need super-accuracy.

my_hero
Mar 07 2007, 04:25 PM
If you insist on using a golf disc, then use the putter you putt with. ;)

gnduke
Mar 07 2007, 05:49 PM
I recall many years ago watching a player throw perfectly flat line drive shots at a basket about 250' away. Being a beginner that could only throw 300' and nothing straight except a putter, I went up and asked what disc he was using because I needed something that would go straight. He was throwing Whippets.

I had thrown whippets, they were very much not long straight flyers for me. I left dejected. Then several years later, I went out to the football field with a stack of Firebirds. I worked exclusively for a couple of weeks everyday with a stack of overstable candy Firbirds until I could release them smooth and flat and have them fly that way for 75% of their flight. I still can't make one fly without fading, but I can throw basically everything else in my bag flat and level whether it is normally under or over stable.

Pironix
Mar 07 2007, 07:08 PM
If you insist on using a golf disc, then use the putter you putt with. ;)

I definitely agree...now if only I could force myself to take my own advice and practice driving with my putters :D

JRauch
Mar 07 2007, 07:19 PM
New Small bead aviar is the greatest disc ever 325ft and in (unless very heavy head or cross winds) and it only took me 2 years to figure that out.

dwmichaels
Mar 09 2007, 12:03 AM
I'd vote for the comet or a putter - even then a putter with no stability. The comet is a 0 (zero) on Discraft's stability chart, so is the magnet putter. While I like the avairs, wizards, etc. they are more stable.

If you can throw a comet 200'+ in a straight line with a fade at the end, you're throwing well. If it turns over, well.... you have some work to do.

I believe that any putter would help reveal form issues though. They're also great for in-game throws because although they will reveal flaws in form, they don't penalize as much when you make mistakes either.

boredatwork
Mar 09 2007, 02:54 PM
I think a stable to understable putter would be a good idea. I think <font color="red"> an even better idea</font>, however, is to get a very flexible or light weight disc. I have a 150 gummy teebird that flies very well and surprisingly far but I have to throw it thinking of finesse instead of power. Floppy and lightweight discs will magnify problems at the moment of release. Putters will do this too but if you modify your grip like I do when you drive with putters then you might want a lightweight driver that you can grip the same, in order to practice the throw you are trying to improve.

pnkgtr
Mar 09 2007, 04:12 PM
I don't think it's a good idea to learn to throw a disc (ultimate, lid putter or super light disc) that you have no intention of using in competition. If you are going to take the time to learn a disc or a throw, take the disc out of your bag and learn it or buy the disc and add it to your bag.

Greg_R
Mar 09 2007, 05:06 PM
Rich, I completely agree. However, many players end up only throwing Firebirds and super-stable discs because they have fundamental form issues. Once your form is good then absolutely practice with your tournament bag.

This actually brings up an interesting question (I'll start another thread) about playing with low-stability discs during tournaments.

rhockaday
Mar 09 2007, 06:43 PM
If I had to pick only one disc to practice with it would be the Comet. The Comet shows me very quickly if I am breaking form. Plus since the motion is a little slower it is easier to analyze on video. However, I am starting to find I can throw the Comet as far as I throw some of my drivers and more accurately. Now I have to figure out what to do with the drivers!

Richard

pnkgtr
Mar 09 2007, 10:08 PM
When I decided that I would seriously start working on my backhand I threw and currently throw putters. My backhand was so weak everything else just hyzered out. I can throw a putter 260'-280' straight. Now I just need to find a driver that I can throw straight too. A slightly beat Sidewinder comes the closest.

warwickdan
Mar 09 2007, 10:56 PM
i find that a breeze is a perfect disc as far as being able to use one disc for hyzer or anhyzer throws. I throw about 375 feet for drives with my drivers, as a point of reference. I grew up throwing lids in my many years playing ultimate so i got used to releasing a disc with hyzer to throw right to left shots and releasing with an anhyzer to throw left to right. For me a Breeze will go right to left if thrown as a hyzer throw; will fly straight with a neutral release; and will turn over if thrown with a lot of snap and a slightly "understable" release angle. I carry 3 Breezes with varying degrees of stability, and i'll use it for any shot (drive or approach) that is 200 to 300 feet, sidearm and backhand.

bcary93
Mar 10 2007, 12:21 AM
However, many players end up only throwing Firebirds and super-stable discs because they have fundamental form issues. Once your form is good then absolutely practice with your tournament bag.

So, when people talk about throwing Aviars 250-300 feet, do these longer throws require a hyzer flip release to go this far ? I like throwing a aviar like this but can they fly like this with a flat release ?

Can you elaborate please on the idea that overstable discs tend to cover up throwing flaws ? I tend to throw understable to stable discs (leopard, teebird, starfire) and so maybe I have a perma-hyzer release so the overstable discs like Teerex & Firebird just kamikaze into the ground for me. Maybe I should play a round or two with only a firebird :)

Tkeith
Mar 10 2007, 12:31 AM
Get a Gatway "E" Element, it flies straight as a arrow.

TK

pnkgtr
Mar 10 2007, 12:40 AM
So, when people talk about throwing Aviars 250-300 feet, do these longer throws require a hyzer flip release to go this far ? I like throwing a aviar like this but can they fly like this with a flat release ?

Yes It's possible. I bring the disc up above the belt and really snap it (wrist). The added spin keeps it in the air longer and also adds to the stability.

Kette_Master
Mar 10 2007, 03:21 AM
This week I worked on throwing my Banger-GT putters (171), Rocs (173 & 180), and a handful of other understable discs. I even whipped-out my Wham-o 150 class for a change. (That brought back some memories.) Driving putters is what helped me the most. Although putters are not as nose-angle sensitive as drivers, I could tell immediately what went wrong with my throw. My release was not flat. I tend to roll my wrist when I try to put too much behind the throw. Another thing I noticed was that I was bringing my right shoulder (RHBH) up therefore the disc would climb. I also realized that I was not using a full reach-back, therefore not utilizing my arm's full potential.

I decided to go back to some of the discs I used as a beginner (been playing ~2yrs). One of them is a 170 Champion Leopard. I haven't thrown this thing in a long time. It was removed from my bag because I thought it was too understable - it always hooked to the right. Come to find out, it was my anhyzer release plus the rolling of my wrist. My overstable drivers have compensated for this. The Leopard is back in my bag! It throws like a Roc with wings - good distance, straight with a slight fade to the left.

My main driver is a 174 Champion Orc. I've been able to throw this around 250-275'. The practice of driving with putters has helped me hit the 300+ range more than before. My 167 Star Orc, once I get my form in better condition, may just get me further.

Does the length of the reach-back determine the distance the disc will fly or is it the spin? When someone says use 80% of your power, does that refer to the force of the pull or the spin of the disc?

BigMack
Mar 10 2007, 02:04 PM
Isn't it crazy how discs that we dumped when we were beginners (probably due to frustration) find their way back into our bags once we learn how to throw? I find it fascinating how the discs that I used to struggle with are now my most valuable tools as my game evolves, develops and hopefully strengthens. That's probably why I never get rid of any discs...I just never know when they might come in handy again!

In regards to discs that will help you throw flat and straight...a disc that is currently helping me in that endeavor is the Comet. Basically, I think the first step is in learning to throw more understable discs smooth and with control (othe discs that have helped me with this include the Storm, XL, & Flash). If you can throw an understable disc straight, hyzers & anhyzers will feel like a piece of cake.

In my opinion the most difficult shot in disc golf is the perfectly straight shot.

Boneman
Mar 10 2007, 03:13 PM
Isn't it crazy how discs that we dumped when we were beginners (probably due to frustration) find their way back into our bags once we learn how to throw? I find it fascinating how the discs that I used to struggle with are now my most valuable tools as my game evolves, develops and hopefully strengthens. That's probably why I never get rid of any discs...I just never know when they might come in handy again!

In regards to discs that will help you throw flat and straight...a disc that is currently helping me in that endeavor is the Comet. Basically, I think the first step is in learning to throw more understable discs smooth and with control (othe discs that have helped me with this include the Storm, XL, & Flash). If you can throw an understable disc straight, hyzers & anhyzers will feel like a piece of cake.

In my opinion the most difficult shot in disc golf is the perfectly straight shot.

I know exactly what yer talking about Big Mac. I "grew" into a lot of the disc I first bought, and have collected quite a stash of discs that I know I will go back to someday.

I've been doing quite a bit of practice at out push-putt course here in bonedale. It's short, so all I use are putters (Aviar P&A and Aviar Drivers). Working at the short course really helps develop finesse, control, driving, and putting.
I love the Comet too, but I work with my Star Aviar P&A's and have started using them for many shots that I used to use a Roc (Comet or Buzzz) for.

As far as the straightest driver goes ... CH Eagle L, CE Teebird L, or a Star Leopard are my current favorites. I can put any one of these on a line, and land in the middle of the narrowest fairway.

gnduke
Mar 10 2007, 07:03 PM
Throwing 80% usually applies to the effort put into the throw, not the throw itself. As most players that attempt to throw at 80% (smooth and controlled) end up throwing farther. I think it has more to do with concentrating on execution and control than it does on throwing with less than full power.

lisle
Mar 10 2007, 11:08 PM
Throwing 80% usually applies to the effort put into the throw, not the throw itself. As most players that attempt to throw at 80% (smooth and controlled) end up throwing farther. I think it has more to do with concentrating on execution and control than it does on throwing with less than full power.

The most natural way for me to back down on power is to slow down my footwork. Everything else will slow itself down, from your hip rotation to your reachback and armspeed as you simply slow down your footwork. Your grip should also be a little more relaxed, but your snap and follow through should stay firm. This is how I throw 50-90%, and it works for me.

Also, champion panthers and orcs are good low power discs for me. They stay pretty straight and are fairly easy to control at lower speeds for me.

scottfaison
Mar 11 2007, 12:22 AM
Coyote. They go where you thrown them so if you throw if off line, you will see. Some can be a little more understable than others, but for the most part you can tell what you did wrong. I let MTL throw mine a few times and his answer was "Man, that does go where you aim it. The problem is, I don't want a disc that magnifies my faults"
Then again it is what you are comfortable with.

quickdisc
Mar 11 2007, 07:52 PM
/msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

dgdave
Mar 13 2007, 09:36 PM
I've had 2 touring pros tell me ''once you can throw an aviar 250-300 ft straight, you can throw about any shot in the book.'' I totally agree. I would also throw in the star skeeter

atxdiscgolfer
Mar 14 2007, 08:02 PM
ROC

esalazar
Mar 14 2007, 10:51 PM
QMS,SMS,

rocknhardstx
Mar 15 2007, 11:03 AM
Buzz ESP, then maybe my star Coyote.....

Erroneous
Mar 15 2007, 12:47 PM
putter, go play a 9 hole course w/ a putter 2-3 times a week.

Boneman
Mar 15 2007, 01:36 PM
putter, go play a 9 hole course w/ a putter 2-3 times a week.

Good advice! I do it as often as possible. :cool:

xterramatt
Mar 15 2007, 02:11 PM
Definitely Champion Coyote. It is a rope.

BJones
Mar 15 2007, 11:14 PM
I've found that throwing slightly beat stable discs such as DX Gazelles or DX Teebirds with a slight hyzer angle yield the straightest flight. The fade isn't as harsh as on a new one.

gotcha
Mar 23 2007, 09:15 PM
Definitely Champion Coyote. It is a rope.

I couldn't agree more.

Jayviar
Mar 24 2007, 01:09 AM
I've found that throwing slightly beat stable discs such as DX Gazelles or DX Teebirds with a slight hyzer angle yield the straightest flight. The fade isn't as harsh as on a new one.

I agree. I have an old 10x KC Pro Gazelle, and when released correctly, it flies straighter than anything else I own. Too bad it is beat so bad that it is too touchy to be worth throwing.