hawkgammon
Feb 13 2007, 10:05 PM
Hello Ladies, (http://www.atributetowrestlers.com/val-venis-picture11.jpg)

If the PDGA eliminated age and gender protected divisions which of the following scenarios would you rather compete in?

1. Women play directly against the men in ratings based divisions.

2. If three or more women were at an event they could choose to play in a single woman's division regardless of their individual skills.

Melissa
Feb 13 2007, 10:22 PM
I would rather play against the guys.

And, what's up with the sweaty wrestler wrapped in a towel on the link to "Ladies"? :confused:

discette
Feb 13 2007, 11:09 PM
I vote for a third choice:

I would prefer to play against women with a similar rating.

If that is not an option, I would choose to play against men with a similar rating.

the_kid
Feb 13 2007, 11:13 PM
And, what's up with the sweaty wrestler wrapped in a towel on the link to "Ladies"? :confused:

Its a guy thing. :D

Melissa
Feb 13 2007, 11:34 PM
It's a guy thing? Sweaty men wrapped in a towel...that's a guy thing? The only guy I can think of that would enjoy that would be Billy Lund :o:D:o:D

the_kid
Feb 13 2007, 11:40 PM
It's a guy thing? Sweaty men wrapped in a towel...that's a guy thing? The only guy I can think of that would enjoy that would be Billy Lund :o:D:o:D

That guy's thing was the "Hello Ladies" phrase.

SarahD
Feb 14 2007, 11:47 AM
All we want is fair and plentiful competition and the ability to win cash, just like the men's open field. Usually we have to choose: have lots of competition by playing in one of the Am Divisions, forsaking our pro status; or stay in WPO and have 0 - 2 competitors at most events.

hawkgammon
Feb 14 2007, 12:17 PM
In my proposal above, women (like the men), would be playing for ca$h in either scenario. The reason for lumping all the women in one pool regardless of skill would simply be the small number of women at your typical sanctioned event. I've heard several women comment over the years how nice it is to have an actual 4+ person division instead of a second round card of an open woman, and a couple of various "am" women.

SarahD
Feb 14 2007, 02:49 PM
Exactly.

You know, that would keep me out of Des's division as well.....

Drew32
Feb 14 2007, 09:45 PM
If women had to play against men of the same skill level they would be giving up cash.

As in
a Pro Woman of 890-900 might get @100-150 in cash by winning their division while the same rated Mens player would get plastic if they won Intermediate.

I'm all for getting more women into the sport but the prizes are scued between the sexes. (parden my bad spelling, I dont have my good computer to help me along...haha)

I do believe that having more people in their division to play against will make them better players over all and playing against 1-2 people at a tournement only leads to mediocraty.

Maybe mixing the sexes would lead to more 950-1000 rated Women players.......

Valarie24
Feb 15 2007, 12:34 PM
If women had to play against men of the same skill level they would be giving up cash..

If player ratings are even somewhat correct, then itd be good competition to compete with guys of similar ratings. We wouldnt be "giving up cash" Regardless of sex, youd have to compete to win money.. isnt that the point?

But say a guy did win this "division" would they then have to go up to play against the Pro guys, or would they just stay at this division because it is Pro??..

What other sport combines Men and Women in one Pro division?

chat amongst yourselves about that one..

hawkgammon
Feb 15 2007, 12:39 PM
One of the ideas being bounced around is that players wouldn't be able to move out of a division until their rating earns them entrance to the next division up, so if a male won he wouldn't be banished. The concept of male/female (at least in terms of competition) would disappear, as would "pro"/"am" as each of the four divisions would be competing for $, though probably for smaller $ as you go down the divisional hierarchcy based on a sliding entry fee scale. The divisions would have new names, i.e. colors or 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc.

schwinn2
Feb 15 2007, 05:50 PM
Dude, if you're gonna post in a women's thread, maybe you shouldn't have such a tasteless avatar. :p

Anyhow, I'd vote for playing against guys of similar ratings.

Drew32
Feb 15 2007, 06:29 PM
I was talking about women with @850-900 rating which is for men, intermediate. Playing in that division you get plastic not cash .
It just looks like us guys are trying to bribe you all to play with us
Which I'm sure isn't the case.

Now if I played a Tourney and decided to play Open cause there was only 2 people and I was garenteed cash I'd be tempted to do it but....I'd get stuck having to play in that division cause I won cash. :p

SarahD
Feb 16 2007, 10:48 AM
I would be against this system if it meant I couldn't win cash. If it came down to competition vs. cash, I'd take the option that allowed me to still play for cash, even if it's always just me, Sue and JenD3000.

30 degrees and oodles of snow....how many pro women in Temperence, MI, tomorrow? More than just me? Place your bets.

SarahD
Feb 18 2007, 01:15 PM
Wow. I just played a C-tier in snow for $5. Seriously. Two women total - myself and another delightful, brand new FPO - and for first I took 125% of the entry fee and for second (last) she got 75% of her entry back. So I won $5.

Hawk.....are we women really that whiney for no good reason?

veganray
Feb 18 2007, 02:18 PM
That's some pretty sweet scratch, SD. You can retire from torque-ho'in' & be a full-time PRO-fressional with those checks rollin' in every weekend! :p

SarahD
Feb 18 2007, 07:21 PM
Awww, what a nice TD. He said that he's just not used to paying out pro women - usually just ams show up - and he just brain-farted on the whole system. Offered me a make-good and that makes it all good. Faith in disc golf restored. :D

hawkgammon
Feb 18 2007, 11:00 PM
Hawk.....are we women really that whiney for no good reason?

Sometimes, but the soft curves make up for it.

DSproAVIAR
Feb 19 2007, 11:50 AM
Awww, what a nice TD. He said that he's just not used to paying out pro women - usually just ams show up - and he just brain-farted on the whole system. Offered me a make-good and that makes it all good. Faith in disc golf restored. :D

Is he making good with a basket for Ziggy?

dischick
Feb 20 2007, 04:33 PM
So I won $5.

dont let that 5 bux burn a hole in your pocket!

Lala
Feb 21 2007, 04:52 PM
I think women should play where the players are. I have only played 2 events with less than a full card, & encouraage other women to do the same. Why should we have provided divisions & then ask to be held to the same format as the Open male players? I think whatever the rules are they should aply across gender. If Open men play long tees with a monster 9 for $80, I think we (as women) should as well. I think reducung the entry fee's to promote more women actually cheapens the sport for us, making us play the same golf for less payout. I want more women playing, just like the next person, I just don't think we should have our own set of standards that TD's have to cater to. I also don't think we should act like butt if we're held to the same standard as men. Aren't we actually looking for equality. As far as playing with men of similar rating, not so much. Intermediate men are often lacking the drive, focus, and basic rules orientation the Pro Women have & strive towards. The trophy only division seems to be taking off in Texas, although I did hear some grumblings regarding pay out as trophy only players pay 1/2 of the entry feebut only counts as 1/3of a player for payout? Not so sure about that.

suemac
Feb 22 2007, 10:36 AM
How many real dollars did that add up to? Given we had three full cards in Victoria, the benefits seem to far outweigh any perceived negatives. And I bet they are able to iron out the kinks as we move forward.

dischick
Feb 22 2007, 11:47 AM
I think women should play where the players are.

i agree with that, but who has the funds to travel somewhere every weekend? not me, and i probably not most of the women who arent on tour.
lets say i did have the funds to fly somewhere every weekend.... i would never break even! even if i won every event, i still would never break even!

bruce_brakel
Feb 22 2007, 02:43 PM
That's why Kelsey doesn't think it makes much sense for a woman to go pro in this sport. You get smaller fields, less net return and higher entry fees. Kelsey says she might go pro after she's won a few tournaments in Advanced

Men! :D

rhett
Feb 22 2007, 03:16 PM
That's why Kelsey doesn't think it makes much sense for a woman to go pro in this sport. You get smaller fields, less net return and higher entry fees. Kelsey says she might go pro after she's won a few tournaments in Advanced

Men! :D

That's why I keep telling Megan it doesn't make sense for her to go pro in this sport. You get smaller fields and sky-high entry fees, and you lose your free ride and free hotel (with your parents) when the tournament has separate am and pro weekends.

Parents! :D

Fortunately so far this year most of the entry fees have been reasoanble for FPO, and in the case of the extremely high one, there was a Trophy Only option for half-price that made it reasonable. Interestingly enough the TO option available tourney had a humongous field size.

It's almost enough to make you think that Pro field sizes (for men and women) would increase if the entry fees were more reasonable. Almost.

AFKmeister
Feb 22 2007, 07:04 PM
:cool: A good Texas Pro Showing, WTG Megan Stroh!!! A new Pro? I hope to be as good as you ,one day. "AFK" #31199 ;)

bruce_brakel
Feb 23 2007, 03:14 PM
Tell her, "If you're old enough to go pro, you're old enough to pay your own entry fee!"

Works for me! :D

Feb 26 2007, 11:53 AM
If women had to play against men of the same skill level they would be giving up cash..

If player ratings are even somewhat correct, then itd be good competition to compete with guys of similar ratings. We wouldnt be "giving up cash" Regardless of sex, youd have to compete to win money.. isnt that the point?

But say a guy did win this "division" would they then have to go up to play against the Pro guys, or would they just stay at this division because it is Pro??..

What other sport combines Men and Women in one Pro division?

chat amongst yourselves about that one..

if that does not change your mind i dont know what will.

tree20862
Apr 11 2007, 03:07 AM
I don't mind playing with other women but it is more fun to play with players of the same rating.

I would be disappointed if they got rid of age protected....I just became a master :)