alexkeil
Feb 08 2007, 10:20 AM
What's your favorite trick shot? Especially if you don't see other people throwing it. Invented any?

My favorite for a while was a thumber roller. Just like the short flick roller from the knees, but it bends the other way at the end. I haven't used it in a while because I moved away from the course I used to use it at, and I wish I could still throw it, at times.

List your technique.

ck34
Feb 08 2007, 10:35 AM
Two that anyone can do. The first has been talked about somewhere on the D-Board. Really windy day and putting is scary. Within 10 feet of basket, you take a stance with one foot behind mini and the other a few feet in front of the mini. Just before releasing your putt, you lift up your front foot in the process of stepping back during the putting motion. It's a legal putt that gets you closer to the basket to counter the wind.

The other one I've done at least twice when up against a taller chain link fence and the basket is on the other side, but a wall of cedars would be another situation. You lie down on your back with at least one heel properly behind the mini. Reach back as far as possible to give yourself the best chance to throw a shot over the fence or bushes. Usually takes a lot of snap to generate enough power to clear the obstacle so you sometimes have to sit up a little bit to get arm swing and extension room.

crotts
Feb 08 2007, 11:25 AM
chickenwing and grenade

got 3 chickenwing aces and 1 grenade ace /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

: ) :

discette
Feb 08 2007, 11:50 AM
The (Sam) Grenade in honor of Sam Ferrans. I throw this because I can't throw upside down or overhead shots very well. (I throw balls like a girl, plus those shots hurt my shoulder.) When faced with a wall of trees it is about my only option for getting up and over. You basically use a power grip on a disc that is flipped upside down - that is rim up. You then throw a massive sky hyzer and the disc will go straight up and down - much like an OH shot. The only problem is the disc tends to hurt the thumb as it rips from the grip. If you move your thumb to the flight plate instead of the rim it will help prevent the pain.

You can see the grip here. (http://www.innovadiscs.com/tips/davesgripsmain.html#specialty)

jared11
Feb 08 2007, 11:58 AM
barrell roll. throwing an understable disc and having it flip completly around and fly like a thumber. good for 300'+ thumber shots. and has a good wow factor

friZZaks
Feb 08 2007, 12:41 PM
thumber- wait, is that still a trick shot? It has become rather mainstream lately.

tafe
Feb 08 2007, 01:28 PM
I've used and like the thumber roller. The main problem is that I have to lean way over to the opposite side. The disc needs to land angled to the left (RH throw).
I also have used a "tomahawk-ish" type grenade. That is and upside down disc, with my thumb-pad flat against the rim (hurts less this way) and I throw the disc at an angle like a backhand roller. It takes a tomahawk type flight. This is very useful in schule when all I can do is stand backwards and lean out to the left with a little window for the disc that requires me to either throw left-handed (yeah right, not a chance) or pull off this shot. I actually used it during my only sanctioned win (so far).

Boneman
Feb 08 2007, 02:46 PM
I don't know if an "Air Bounce" is considered a trick shot, but I've played with a lot of players who have never seen one. I love throwing these under and around obsicles, especially on impossible looking putts.
One of my favorite tricks. ;)

Feb 08 2007, 03:52 PM
I think this grenade shot is also called the " scooby " .
Great trick shot, especially when it finds it's way into the basket .

Big E
Feb 08 2007, 04:13 PM
nope they are 2 different throws dick-boomer!

JRauch
Feb 08 2007, 04:15 PM
I know this guy who throws what he calls a "bowling ball" You hold the disc like you would hold a thumber but you throw it underhand. The disc has the same flight as a scoobie but goes the opposite way. I have tried this shot but have never had success with it. I feel it is an extremely akward throw but he really seems to like it.

Big E
Feb 08 2007, 04:26 PM
Watched Barry at the Vet yesterday. I watched him putt around a object pulling the putter behind his back instead of across his chest! That was crazy never seen that before!

friZZaks
Feb 08 2007, 04:34 PM
the scooby is a low thumber that hits the ground and squibs...right?

Big E
Feb 08 2007, 04:53 PM
from what I understand:

the grenade is when you throw the disc upside down

the scooby is when you curl your arm and throw a roller.

my_hero
Feb 08 2007, 05:11 PM
from what I understand:

the grenade is when you throw the disc upside down

the scooby is when you curl your arm and throw a roller.

I call your "grenade" an invert.....and a "scooby" is some weird roller. I saw Gangloff throw one at National Dubs in the late 90's. Weird man, weird.

Feb 08 2007, 05:19 PM

You can make it an air shot , just play it like a huge anhyzer. Lots of fun..

jpeacock
Feb 08 2007, 05:33 PM
It's not really a trick shot but one you don't see a lot and it works well. A big up and down knife hyzer at the basket. If you judge distance and angle right you are right on or very close. The disc usually stays put when it lands. A way to go around an object or go for it and be close if ya miss. For my best results I look at the shot and then concentrate on the very highest point of flight and throw to that. At that point sometimes the basket isn�t even in view. Like I said not a trick shot but affective. Try it! :cool:

ck34
Feb 08 2007, 05:49 PM
Unless you're pretty far away, I think you might find the grenade more accurate for that type of throw. Just a suggestion. For example, it doesn't get pushed by the wind as much if the wind is coming from the right for a righty.

Feb 08 2007, 06:00 PM
Gotta be the forehand roller!! It's saved me countless strokes on the course!! :eek:

z Vaughn z
Feb 08 2007, 06:03 PM
Skip Shots.

bschweberger
Feb 08 2007, 06:40 PM

No, a REAL Scooby, is held with a regular backhand grip. With backhand grip hold the disc against the back side of your throwing shoulder, then throw the disc in almost shot put style motion, releasing the disc past the vertical position so the disc flies upside down. Shot is normally only used for a maximum of 100 feet.

Blake T has video of me throwing this shot.

okcacehole
Feb 08 2007, 06:42 PM
That isn't a scooby either...you hold it completely different than a normal backhand and release almost straight up above your head..going from the knee/ground leve to above your head

nanook
Feb 08 2007, 06:58 PM
Every now and then, I find it useful to slide a disc upside down towards the basket. Doesn't get me dueces, but it can save a three from becoming a four (or worse). Hard pack bare ground, pine needles, even snow, just slide it to the pole. Just last Sunday I had a drive was 50'-60' out and directly behind some large diameter trees. Low branches all around but clear ground underneath. Since the basket was in a small depression, I slid my putter on the undisturbed snow and it spiralled into the depression and settled 1' from the pole. Looked like it was being sucked into the center of a whirlpool...

nanook

gotcha
Feb 08 2007, 07:06 PM
Skip Shots.

Old-mold WHIPPET skip shots!

Trick shots (and grips) are often branded with different names throughout separate regions of the country. When I started playing in 1991 (Tejas), the "scooby" was the upside down sky-hyzer which Dunipace identifies as the "Grenade" grip. Back in those days, many Texans referred to the thumber as a "pancake". In the mid-Atlantic, numerous players called it a "tomahawk". The reverse thumber (two fingers inside the rim) was also called a pancake in the Lone Star State. The exception to that was the early 90's Austin crowd who called the reverse thumber a "tomato" (I never could figure that one out...)

JRauch
Feb 08 2007, 08:07 PM
It's not really a trick shot but one you don't see a lot and it works well. A big up and down knife hyzer at the basket. If you judge distance and angle right you are right on or very close. The disc usually stays put when it lands. A way to go around an object or go for it and be close if ya miss. For my best results I look at the shot and then concentrate on the very highest point of flight and throw to that. At that point sometimes the basket isn�t even in view. Like I said not a trick shot but affective. Try it! :cool:

Nobody on earth can throw this shot like tyler horne. To watch him throw spike hyzers is rediculous, and he uses them as most upshots, and drives if he has room. He takes routes that hardly anyone thinks of, let alone throw.

Innova19
Feb 08 2007, 11:08 PM
SKIP SHOT IS MORE OF A CONTROLED DRIVE THAN A TRICK SHOT - UNLESS YOUR SKIPPING OVER, AROUND OR THROUGH SOMETHING OR SOMETHINGS.

I'VE SEEN A FEW SKIP SHOTS OFF WATER. NOW THATS COOL ESPICALLY WHEN THEY CALL THEIR SHOT BEFORE STEPPING UP AND TAKING THEIR DRIVE.

ck34
Feb 08 2007, 11:41 PM
One of the best shots like this had to be Stokely's in the Finals of the 1998 Pro Worlds in Cincy at Cabin Creek. Called it and threw it across the pond so the disc landed on the water, top side down. Disc skipped right up the bank within maybe 5 feet of the pin.

bsneely
Feb 09 2007, 12:16 AM
It's not really a trick shot but one you don't see a lot and it works well. A big up and down knife hyzer at the basket. If you judge distance and angle right you are right on or very close. The disc usually stays put when it lands. A way to go around an object or go for it and be close if ya miss. For my best results I look at the shot and then concentrate on the very highest point of flight and throw to that. At that point sometimes the basket isn�t even in view. Like I said not a trick shot but affective. Try it!

Nobody on earth can throw this shot like tyler horne.

I'm sure that Tyler is awesome, but I would say Markus K�llstr�m might object to that opinion. Check his technique out at 1:38 in this trailer for the 05 European Championships: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah26SY2ljhs

Big spike hyzers are a joy to watch...

gotcha
Feb 09 2007, 09:42 AM
One of the best shots like this had to be Stokely's in the Finals of the 1998 Pro Worlds in Cincy at Cabin Creek. Called it and threw it across the pond so the disc landed on the water, top side down. Disc skipped right up the bank within maybe 5 feet of the pin.

http://img3.glowfoto.com/images/2007/02/09-0511357612T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=09-051135L&y=2007&m=02&t=jpg&rand=7612&srv=img3)

ryangwillim
Feb 09 2007, 10:29 AM
My favourite trick shots are:

Skip putting: I do this a lot when there is lowhanging (like 2'-3' off ground) stuff between the basket and my lie. I usually use a z-xtreme and have fairly decent results.

AnHawk, ScommyHawk, FauxHawk, Backflip: Basically throw a vertical anhyzer in such a way that the disc goes into a tomahawk rotation and ends down like a tomahawk. I can get it to about 300' if I do it correctly and it can fly very high. I first saw Feldberg do it this past december. It gets some great perplexed looks from other DGers.

ryangwillim
Feb 09 2007, 10:30 AM
No, a REAL Scooby, is held with a regular backhand grip. With backhand grip hold the disc against the back side of your throwing shoulder, then throw the disc in almost shot put style motion, releasing the disc past the vertical position so the disc flies upside down. Shot is normally only used for a maximum of 100 feet.

This is correct.

rhett
Feb 09 2007, 12:22 PM
AnHawk, ScommyHawk, FauxHawk, Backflip: Basically throw a vertical anhyzer in such a way that the disc goes into a tomahawk rotation and ends down like a tomahawk. I can get it to about 300' if I do it correctly and it can fly very high. I first saw Feldberg do it this past december. It gets some great perplexed looks from other DGers.

I have seen Gwillim throw this shot, and it is indeed perplexing. :)

I would call it a "barrell roll", although "FauxHawk" sounds pretty good. Maybe "QuasiHawk" since it "seems like a tomahawk"?

alexkeil
Feb 09 2007, 12:28 PM
How about this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisbee_throws#Scoober)

xterramatt
Feb 09 2007, 12:51 PM
The backhand thumber.

Hold it like a thumber, but throw it like a backhand. Choose your most overstable disc because it'll still turn over. You can get crazy distance with not a lot of effort with this shot. And it takes very little effort to learn as it's a familiar motion, you are just holding your arm upside down on release.

JRauch
Feb 09 2007, 12:59 PM
It's not really a trick shot but one you don't see a lot and it works well. A big up and down knife hyzer at the basket. If you judge distance and angle right you are right on or very close. The disc usually stays put when it lands. A way to go around an object or go for it and be close if ya miss. For my best results I look at the shot and then concentrate on the very highest point of flight and throw to that. At that point sometimes the basket isn�t even in view. Like I said not a trick shot but affective. Try it!

Nobody on earth can throw this shot like tyler horne.

I'm sure that Tyler is awesome, but I would say Markus K�llstr�m might object to that opinion. Check his technique out at 1:38 in this trailer for the 05 European Championships: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah26SY2ljhs

Big spike hyzers are a joy to watch...

I would put Tyler's spike up against anyone in the world!! The thing is he doesn't use it for an out or when he has to, he uses it just about whenever he can.
Tyler's spike (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1868436590042446271&q=ohio+disc+golf&hl=en)
And this shot doesn't do him justice.

alexkeil
Feb 09 2007, 01:59 PM
If only he could putt... what a trick that would be.

JRauch
Feb 09 2007, 02:24 PM
he normally can. but to be fair, that was over 3 years ago.

dave25926
Feb 10 2007, 12:54 AM
I understand he has a great spike hyzer (dont hurt yourself),but why do all that work, when you can just throw a controlled roc shot.

Also, If yyou are a good dg than you also should be looking for every possible shot there is and do what is best for you.

dave25926
Feb 10 2007, 12:57 AM
My favorite trick shot I had to do was: I was in the jail in the woods about 70ft away from the bucket and the only shot I had was a straddle thumber jumper. It was parked.

ryangwillim
Feb 10 2007, 01:09 AM
I understand he has a great spike hyzer (dont hurt yourself),but why do all that work, when you can just throw a controlled roc shot.

Also, If yyou are a good dg than you also should be looking for every possible shot there is and do what is best for you.

You just answered your own question: Why do all that extra work? Because it's what works best for him!

Parkntwoputt
Feb 10 2007, 10:40 AM
Skip Shots.

Old-mold WHIPPET skip shots!

Putter Skip Shots!

Or the Twist.
I wouldn't really call it a trick shot, because it is a turbo-putt that has the disc upside down. It is slower then the turbo, fades hard to the right. And if you miss, it rarely if ever catches edge and rolls away, nor does it skip very far from the basket. It is good for <30ft putts from behind a shoulder high bush.

JDesrosier
Feb 10 2007, 09:58 PM
Just a Question...
When throwing a grenade is it better to have an overstable disc or an understable disc?

Furthur
Feb 11 2007, 12:13 AM
I think an understable disc. That's what allows it to flip , right?

gang4010
Feb 12 2007, 07:50 PM
Just a Question...
When throwing a grenade is it better to have an overstable disc or an understable disc?

The sharper the disc (and the greater the mass on the rim) the faster your grenade will move - thus making it less predictable. A nice midrange (roc, shark, etc) is excellent for the grenade.

My favorite tricks, thumb roller, scoobie roller, grenade (up high), grenade skip shot (down low), thumb flick roller. I got some craziness in my bag :)

crusher
Feb 12 2007, 10:14 PM
Are you sure that the craziness is in your "bag"?

Drew32
Feb 14 2007, 09:57 PM
The Upside-down side arm putt.
I'm also partial to the sky pancake with a old beat up pro wraith.

I don;t know if its a trick shot but people have asked me if it was.....With your back to the basket you stretch out with your left foot behind the marker and toss. I've been getting suprizingly accurate with this putt when I need to get around trees and stuff with anything between 100-30 feet out.
Only thing sketchy about it is you have to release before you pickup your marker foot. :p

bschweberger
Feb 14 2007, 10:21 PM
That has been called the Patent Pending.....cause the name and originator is still up for debate.

AviarX
Feb 14 2007, 10:48 PM
I don;t know if its a trick shot but people have asked me if it was.....With your back to the basket you stretch out with your left foot behind the marker and toss. I've been getting suprizingly accurate with this putt when I need to get around trees and stuff with anything between 100-30 feet out.
Only thing sketchy about it is you have to release before you pickup your marker foot. :p

not sure i read you right, but that sounds like the stance a righty has to take to throw a backhand around the person marking him.
(the left foot being your pivot foot and you stretch out with your front forward to throw a forehand around the other side of the person marking you)

sleepyEDB
Feb 15 2007, 02:42 PM
I can see how these shots (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxJIuwGOLDY) could be very useful when getting around/over bushes, small trees, etc.

sleepy

gang4010
Feb 15 2007, 03:38 PM
Are you sure that the craziness is in your "bag"?

Not completely no :D

dehaas
Feb 15 2007, 03:42 PM
i learned this one back at the 2005 worlds...me and some buddies were playing a casual round, hoping to catch some of the pros a few days before the tourney started. don't necessarily remember the guys name, but i'm pretty sure he wrote for DGWN, and showed me a nice little trick shot during a round. i was stuck in the schule on the left side of the fairway and the hole doglegged to the left a bit. i didn't have the arm clearance to throw a hyzer spike to the pin, so he told me to grab an understable disc, place my thumb in the lip and grip the disc with my other 4 fingers. looked like i was giving a thumbs up almost. the trick is to release it at a 3/4 arm angle, and really put some follow through on it, and you can come up with a nice smooth right to left shot with a fair amount of glide to it when you don't have the room to throw a backhand shot. one of those i don't use all the time, but it definitely saves at least a stroke when i have to throw it. maybe you guys know it by its proper name?

quickdisc
Feb 15 2007, 06:50 PM
Mine is the Roller !!!!

Drew32
Feb 15 2007, 09:21 PM
not sure i read you right, but that sounds like the stance a righty has to take to throw a backhand around the person marking him.
(the left foot being your pivot foot and you stretch out with your front forward to throw a forehand around the other side of the person marking you)

Yea something like that its a backhand anhyzer throw with the heel of your left foot behind the marker and your legs spread and lined up perpindicular to the basket. When you throw your arm stops just about straight out putting a bunch of snap on the disc. I asked about the foot fault thing with it and the answers I got were
1) as long as you dont break the forward line (perpindicular)and
2) as long as you release the disc before you completely shift you weight off the left foot to the right foot and lift your left foot up ....
then it's not a foot fault or a falling putt

MikeMC
Feb 19 2007, 11:57 AM
I have a shot I play around with that's only usable when throwing into the wind on an approach or long putt. I throw it with the nose up, lots of spins, take off some speed and aim about 8 - 10 feet above the basket. It's a real touch shot but if you do it right (keep the discs level horizontally and get the speed/spin right) the disc will run out of speed above the basket, but because of the spin and the wind, it hovers/floats and drops straight down. Kind of looks like a flying saucer coming in for a landing. It looks like it's going in slow motion too.