Jan 30 2007, 08:49 AM
Does anyone know what some of the top distance throwers' arm/disc speed is in MPH?

DOC65
Jan 30 2007, 09:59 AM
This article makes some references to disc speed. Haven't seen anything about arm speed before though.

Getting More Distance - By Theo Pozzy (http://home.comcast.net/~tpozzy/prodrives.htm)

my_hero
Jan 30 2007, 10:10 AM
Does anyone know what some of the top distance throwers' arm/disc speed is in MPH?

Some of the DFW big arms have been clocked, and average about 60mph (initial disc speed, pretty much right out of the hand).

tbender
Jan 30 2007, 11:01 AM

Some of the DFW big arms have been clocked, and average about 60mph (initial disc speed, pretty much right out of the hand).

And then there's Robbie Bratten....clocked at 133kph (~82mph) out of hand (using a GUTS disc).

:D

my_hero
Jan 30 2007, 11:03 AM
LOL.

Even Nolan and Clayton had a hard time breaking 70mph with a 175g golf disc. Clayton finally did it once Himing offered a basket to the golfer that could break it. I think Clayton is still waiting for his basket. :confused: :D

lisle
Jan 30 2007, 11:30 AM
In '03 while I was at BYU, I was approached by a disc golfer named Wayne doing his PhD in the health sciences. He set up an 8X12 grid on the track with two cameras, and had me throw as far as I could, then measured the velocity at release and the disc angle. It was a blast! My furthest throw was a 175g Beast clocked at 31.1 meters/second and a disc angle of 3�. The distance was 155 yards. Sidearm was 22 m/s and went 105 yards.

I'm curious to hear what the fast sidearm speeds are

xterramatt
Jan 30 2007, 11:40 AM
Schweb registered a 78 mph thumber at the flymart at Worlds in '05. He beat everyone by about 8-10 mph. But then, he cheated, he used a thumber. :)

my_hero
Jan 30 2007, 12:31 PM
Schweb registered a 78 mph thumber at the flymart at Worlds in '05. He beat everyone by about 8-10 mph. But then, he cheated, he used a thumber. :)

Our results were similar. Many people were able to break 70, even 75 mph with the pancake/thumber throw. They were 6-10 mph faster than a traditional backhand throw. Clayton was the only one to break 70mph backhand with a 175g disc.

dave_marchant
Jan 30 2007, 01:45 PM
I think that this would be very easy to measure. Mark lines on the ground at say every 10 feet along the side of a building. Get on the roof and with a digital video camera, video tape the flight of the disk from overhead - from the roof. A sunny day where you could see the shadow of the disc passing over your lines would work best.

There is time stamp info (I think to 0.01 sec) on the video that you can then use to calculate speed. The reason for using 3-4 10' spaced lines is to get more accurate (maybe to +/- 0.004 sec accuracy). I doubt the disc will decellerate appreciably over 40'.

bschweberger
Jan 30 2007, 02:03 PM

Wish I could have warmed up first.

the_kid
Jan 30 2007, 02:34 PM

And then there's Robbie Bratten....clocked at 133kph (~82mph) out of hand (using a GUTS disc).

:D

133x.6=79.2. I'm guessing that isn't the exact conversion.

What would 113km be Tony?

peter_h
Jan 30 2007, 04:28 PM
We managed to borrow laser/radar equipment normally used for measuring tennis serve speed for the Stockholm Disc Golf Open some years ago.

About 10 players in the field threw faster than 75 mph, with the top guns, like Markus K�llstr�m and former world distance record holder Chris Max Voigt, reaching around 85.

This is initial speed though, i believe a thrown disc slows down quicker than you might think.

circle_2
Jan 30 2007, 05:27 PM
Were all those throws BH, or other?

the_kid
Jan 30 2007, 08:04 PM
We managed to borrow laser/radar equipment normally used for measuring tennis serve speed for the Stockholm Disc Golf Open some years ago.

About 10 players in the field threw faster than 75 mph, with the top guns, like Markus K�llstr�m and former world distance record holder Chris Max Voigt, reaching around 85.

This is initial speed though, i believe a thrown disc slows down quicker than you might think.

Not with a guts disc. :D

T_Hizzle
Jan 31 2007, 12:24 AM

How fast can you throw a baseball? I can throw 85+ MPH, and my tomahawks max out about 375'. But, I can't get near that with a thumber. I'm just curious towards how fast I'm throwing. Last weekend I was throwing 166 Tsunami's like they were Epics, but then again it was 15 degrees in MN. I left my Venoms at home.

The best overall overhand disc is the Venom, increased my D and others I know by at least 50'.

dionarlyn
Jan 31 2007, 05:49 AM
When I first started playing, I was clocked at 66 MPH both forehand and backhand. Forehand was a Firebird, backhand was a first run crush. This is about 9 months after I started playing.

But I'm positive I could blow that away now a days.

bschweberger
Jan 31 2007, 10:05 AM

How fast can you throw a baseball? I can throw 85+ MPH, and my tomahawks max out about 375'. But, I can't get near that with a thumber. I'm just curious towards how fast I'm throwing. Last weekend I was throwing 166 Tsunami's like they were Epics, but then again it was 15 degrees in MN. I left my Venoms at home.

The best overall overhand disc is the Venom, increased my D and others I know by at least 50'.

Have not been clocked with a baseball in a while.
I was throwing 55 at age 9. Wish I had stuck with baseball,....sometimes.

T_Hizzle
Jan 31 2007, 03:30 PM

[/QUOTE]

You could have been a Little League World Champ!!!!

bschweberger
Jan 31 2007, 03:45 PM
could have been

Greatzky2
Feb 01 2007, 01:32 AM
I would guess my arm speed is actually not nearly as fast others would think. I usually throw further and more accurately when I throw slower. I probably don't throw over 50mph arm speed. I gave up worrying about distance and speed a long time ago though. I throw over 360 and that's more than enough for most any course.

-Scott Lewis

morgan
Feb 01 2007, 07:19 AM
I once had a guy clock me at 95 with my chicken wing. It was really cool. I said, "Wow, I'm cool."

Then the guy told me it was kilometers.

Parkntwoputt
Feb 02 2007, 10:48 AM
Maybe you did what I have changed.

I don't throw as "fast" as I used to, but what I have changed is my run up speed. I increased hip turn and not only has my accuracy increased (no duh huh?) but I am getting more distance with my all of my discs. I think my actual arm speed has increased over the past year. Can't wait till the ankle is 100% and I will go back to the field and work on the boomer throws. I need to get clocked again, last time I think it was 67mph.

jdavidson
Feb 05 2007, 06:24 PM

The_Ted,
I agree with you about the Venom, it is the best overall overhand disc that I've thrown. However, nothing is getting me the distance that a Z-Xtreme will� It�s just sick.

With regards to the Bratten throw, the radar gun calibration had been verified by the world record folks with the GUTS governing body (Nesbitt could provide the specifics).

leftysidearm
Feb 05 2007, 09:06 PM

just a regular Jets freak...then again I was knocking kids off their feet when I was 9

chris
Mar 24 2007, 07:33 PM
So I've thrown over 550 many times in distant comps and I bet I only throw about 55-60mph. How is that possible? I did one of those **** guts contest and took very last place, I couldn't throw over 85kph / 52mph ( I tried like 30 times)

circle_2
Mar 26 2007, 11:09 PM
CH, what's 'your' assessment of your distance ability? Gotta know what you like to throw for BIG D, too...!