readysetstab
Jan 29 2007, 10:13 PM
holy crap! has anyone seen this throwing technique? if you haven't, watch the video below. it's insane!!! it's basically a lefty throw without switching to lefty. could be very handy if i could ever learn to do it well. looks hard. enjoy.....

Chickenwing (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1841239026)
:eek:

veganray
Jan 29 2007, 10:44 PM
That's only one of the 746 throws that Schwebbie can pull out on ya!

readysetstab
Jan 29 2007, 10:54 PM
do you happen to know how to grip this correctly?

rhett
Jan 29 2007, 11:14 PM
Ask the user named "Frisbee" about this throw. He claims to be able to throw 400' with it!

robertsummers
Jan 29 2007, 11:48 PM
Looks painful to me. But then again the tomahawk is painful for me and I still throw it. Although I have to admit I think that mastering it could be handy.

ChrisWoj
Jan 30 2007, 12:02 AM
it's basically a lefty throw without switching to lefty. :eek:

OMG~! I've heard of a throw that does this too! Some newfangled forehandy thingy, kinda like how tennis players have a reverse of their backhand called a forehand!? Apparently you can do stuff like that in disc golf too! CRAZY #$*&$!~! Lefty throws with your right hand, OMGWTF!!11one1!

AviarX
Jan 30 2007, 12:16 AM
That's only one of the 746 throws that Schwebbie can pull out on ya!

rumor has it that Morgan (aka: Frisbee) taught Schweb this throw :p

morgan
Jan 30 2007, 12:21 AM
The chicken wing is a hoax and that video is photoshopped and morphed.

readysetstab
Jan 30 2007, 07:27 AM
The chicken wing is a hoax and that video is photoshopped and morphed.

nope, i know the guy in the video...

readysetstab
Jan 30 2007, 07:35 AM
it's basically a lefty throw without switching to lefty. :eek:

OMG~! I've heard of a throw that does this too! Some newfangled forehandy thingy, kinda like how tennis players have a reverse of their backhand called a forehand!? Apparently you can do stuff like that in disc golf too! CRAZY #$*&$!~! Lefty throws with your right hand, OMGWTF!!11one1!

Thank you, friend. I meant ANOTHER way to throw lefty. I was just explaining it for anyone that didn't know what it was. I play tennis and i throw forhand pretty often as a result. but next time i need a tutorial about the easiest crap in the world to do, i'll go to you.

morgan
Jan 30 2007, 09:40 AM
You grip it with your thumb. 4 fingers on top, thumb underneath.

Only really cool people can throw this way. People like me and Schweb

readysetstab
Jan 30 2007, 09:48 AM
well, i figured that, but should i curl the fingers on top or leave them straight? together or spread out? or is there any "better" way to do it at all?

MTL21676
Jan 30 2007, 11:00 AM
Best chickenwing in the world

Perry "Wheat" Hardison.

Throws EVERY shot chicken wing and can throw turnovers with them, which is just insane.

xterramatt
Jan 30 2007, 11:38 AM
I used to park hole 2 at Cedar Hills with a chicken wing and a Jaguar. They are better with the larger rimmed midrange discs.

My chicken wing only gets used on hole 11 at Hornets Nest these days. I used to bust at least one out per tournament MANDATORY. Wish I still used it more, because it makes most players say "Wha???"

rob
Jan 30 2007, 11:56 AM

Perry "Wheat" Hardison.

Throws EVERY shot chicken wing and can throw turnovers with them, which is just insane.

Ditto!

Jeff_LaG
Jan 30 2007, 12:17 PM
Ask the user named "Frisbee" about this throw. He claims to be able to throw 400' with it!

http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/300W/images3.deviantart.com/i/2004/111/0/e/Don__t_feed_the_Troll.jpg

crotts
Jan 30 2007, 12:30 PM
i'd like to see a 400 foot wing. on flat ground i have hit 340 once. i can get around 285-300 with a good pull. that's with rocs drivers dont feel good for wings.

i learned the wing from perry and he is **** good at it.

: ) :

bschweberger
Jan 30 2007, 12:47 PM
That Video is HTD. I parked that shot. Only took 3 trys. Thanks Blake T.

Since Perry doesn't really play any more, I vote Friar Tuck as the best Chickenwinger that I have seen.

bgwvdave
Jan 30 2007, 01:02 PM

Since Perry doesn't really play any more, I vote Friar Tuck as the best Chickenwinger that I have seen.

second

rhett
Jan 30 2007, 01:07 PM
Hole 18 short at Morley would be a good ChickenWing hole. I better get to work on that shot. :)

riverdog
Jan 30 2007, 01:28 PM

Perry "Wheat" Hardison.

Absotively, posilutely!!! Perry came over to Ramcat the day before last November's Yadkin Open. He aced #15 with the "wang thang". Coolest ace I've seen. :cool::cool::cool:

crotts
Jan 30 2007, 05:31 PM

thanks for the vote.

bschweberger
Jan 30 2007, 06:31 PM
no prob

pnkgtr
Jan 30 2007, 07:57 PM
I tore my rotator cuff just watching that video.

ChrisWoj
Jan 30 2007, 09:40 PM
My question is: for those of us that haven't specialized in it through freestyle, ultimate, or some other disc sport... why make the effort to learn it when the forehand is right there to use?

xterramatt
Jan 30 2007, 09:47 PM
think of it as a flutter free forehand. It's also really good for those touch shots that you need the smoothness of a backhand. I use it for shots that have to fade hard. The Chicken wing puts a lot of spin on the disc, allowing it to stay aloft through a long hyzer. At least I think that's why I use it. Basically I use it for stall hyzers.

But I can throw it downhill pretty straight if pressed into action. May have to get some practice in with it.

morgan
Jan 30 2007, 11:10 PM
My question is: for those of us that haven't specialized in it through freestyle, ultimate, or some other disc sport... why make the effort to learn it when the forehand is right there to use?

So people can laugh at you and say cluck cluck and make jokes about Kentucky or Buffalo and ask you whether you throw the original chicken wing or extra crispie

mus
Jan 31 2007, 01:29 AM
it's a cheater shot :D

pnkgtr
Jan 31 2007, 02:09 AM
think of it as a flutter free forehand.

My forehand shots don't flutter (they haven't since I stopped trying to throw Eclipses forehand).

dionarlyn
Jan 31 2007, 05:43 AM
It seems like a lot of extra effort to throw than just a forehand. I throw it in Ultimate when I'm messin around, never thought to use it in DG.

ChrisWoj
Jan 31 2007, 01:02 PM
It seems like a lot of extra effort to throw than just a forehand. I throw it in Ultimate when I'm messin around, never thought to use it in DG.

In addition to saying I've never had issues with forehand flutter, I agree with this post here... Except I will use it in game during Ulty. Early in a good spot just to put it in my mark's head.

supperbagger
Feb 01 2007, 02:50 PM

thanks for the vote.

Yeah i have seen Friar Tuck throw a chicken wing minni shot in to a minni basket at 100 feet away that was sick.

crotts
Feb 01 2007, 05:56 PM
Yeah i have seen Friar Tuck throw a chicken wing minni shot in to a minni basket at 100 feet away that was sick.

anhyzer too

johnrock
Feb 01 2007, 06:58 PM
The Chicken wing is the only good way I've found to throw a Skoal can lid.

Feb 10 2007, 01:17 AM
That's an OLD freestyle throw.(For lefties throwin to righties who are used to the spin in one direction)
I never thought of it in golf.May have to give it a try.
Too funny.

davei
Feb 10 2007, 09:58 AM
Jim Olsen Jr used to drive with an overhand wrist flip, (aka chickenwing) when we played disc golf with 80 molds at La Mirada. Pretty impressive when I saw it.

md21954
Feb 11 2007, 08:06 AM
i would never be so foolish to call something like this "best in the world" but MD golfer tom edwards has been hucking that way for a long time. i think he can throw just as far and accurate with his chickenwing as he can with a normal backhand. i can do it effectively with a lid, but trying to put any arm into it with a golf disc results in shoulder rubbing and asking myself why i keep trying it.

swampman
Apr 12 2007, 02:37 AM
I'm an old school freestyler and I used to love throwing the chickenwing. I was throwing a mini with some young guys I play disc with last night and I wanted to fade right but I can't forehand one so I broke out the old chickenwing and blew them away with it. I had to teach them how to do it. I have tried it with a driver but didn't have much success, I might have to try it with a midrange now though. Maybe the deeper rim will feel more like my old masters disc.