eaglehigh99
Jan 24 2007, 12:59 AM
With many Ice Bowls currently being played in the snow, I was looking for suggestions on how to keep track of your discs in the snow. :D

We don't normally have much snow in Kansas but it looks like we'll be playing in 3" to 4" of it this weekend. :o

How about giving us and others not experienced in "snow play" a helping hand. :cool:

wander
Jan 24 2007, 10:38 AM
Some folks use a length of ribbon tied to the underside of the disc, although distance might suffer.

Brightly colored discs help.

Sending out spotters helps.

Careful watching of all throws, especially when a disc lands near footprints or other disturbed areas of snow.

Mostly though, its learning how to spot the often very sneaky marks a disc will make as it slips into the snow.

Take your time.

Joe

klemrock
Jan 24 2007, 10:41 AM
The ribbon method is OK, but be sure to use freezer tape on the underside of the disc.

wander
Jan 24 2007, 01:00 PM
And don't let it wrap around your finger as you throw. Saw a guy's finger after that happened. Not recommended at all.

eaglehigh99
Jan 24 2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks. :cool:

I had heard of the ribbon thing (but not the dangers). :eek:

I'll pass these and any other suggestions on to the participants at the Ice Bowl

ck34
Jan 24 2007, 07:31 PM
No one mentioned the Alaskan technique of using colored rock climbing powder on the disc before throwing it so you can see the slit in the snow more easily.

MARKB
Jan 24 2007, 11:37 PM
With many Ice Bowls currently being played in the snow, I was looking for suggestions on how to keep track of your discs in the snow.

We don't normally have much snow in Kansas but it looks like we'll be playing in 3" to 4" of it this weekend. :o

How about giving us and others not experienced in "snow play" a helping hand. :cool:

3"-4" ?? That is nothing, not even worth taking the effort to do anything special :) Definately not enough snow to lose too many discs!!! :D

doot
Jan 25 2007, 12:22 AM
Make a conscious effort for all players to walk in one small path down each fairway, and taking a straight line to the disc. It'll help players behind you if there arent tracks all over the snow..it's a lot easier to find disc slits in fresh snow..

DSproAVIAR
Jan 25 2007, 12:25 AM
Agreed, in 3-4" you will not lose a disc (better not).

In lots of snow, like Joe said, TAKE YOUR TIME. Walk in premade tracks to where you last saw your discs. Then, stand there without moving, and look around for a long time, or however long it takes to find the disc.

non sequitor anecdote: I remember last winter, Hudson Mills Original #3 shorts. I threw a good one, and knew I had parked my shot, but there were alot of tracks in the snow. We had more than 6 in our group. Everyone putted, I got to the pin, and couldn't find my disc. We looked for about 5 minutes, I was shuffling around the pin in circles for the whole 5 mins. Someone said it was short. I told them I knew I had parked it. Finally, I pretty much gave up and kicked the pin. My disc popped up right under the basket. It was hilarious.

Moral (if there is one): Know where you threw the disc, and keep looking.

cornhuskers9495
Jan 25 2007, 12:37 AM
Make a conscious effort for all players to walk in one small path down each fairway, and taking a straight line to the disc.

Man, I wish everyone did that..

Tape a 10-15 foot piece of thread on it so it stays atop the snow, Ribbon creates WAY too much loss in distance with the drag, but it sounds cool.

I found the best color is red or blue

Now go support your Local Food Bank and feed the hungry masses...

and don't eat the yellow snow

bruce_brakel
Jan 25 2007, 01:24 AM
Don't throw white discs. Seems obvious but there's always one in the group. Today it was me! :o

Better than tape is Household Goop. Tape will pop off when you hit a tree. It will get wet and not stick back on. You have to do the Goop the night before.

The thread tip sounds good. I'll try that.

We have a couple of inches right now. All were doing for league is watching them land.

superq16504
Jan 25 2007, 03:19 PM
Freezer tape/ duct tape and Led's they glow the snow up cant miss them.

Bizzle
Jan 26 2007, 07:07 PM
With many Ice Bowls currently being played in the snow, I was looking for suggestions on how to keep track of your discs in the snow. :D

Don't throw white disks ;)

eaglehigh99
Jan 31 2007, 02:53 PM
We ended up playing on between 1" and 2" of iced over snow. Discs react strangely in that environment (so do your feet). Also had a frozen pond to deal with.

Our Ice Bowl went well. I hope everyone's do.

Thanks for all of your comments.

thetruthxl
Feb 06 2007, 01:51 PM
Here are a few tips from the snowbelt of western michigan.

In Virgin snow: have everyone walk in one path down the fairway. When you get to the desired area, B-Line to where you thought it went in. That way, you've got the most undisturbed snow and not 50 tracks down the fairway.
Ribbons: They work in wide open courses, but our wooded courses snag the ribbon right off the disc.
Searching: Get your group to kick-up everything in an area side-by-side. If you Grid, you win.
Play at night: LED's will illuminate the area nomatter how deep the snow is...my suggestion is red.
Don't overthrow: The worst part about looking for a snowy disc is when it's in the stuff. take 50' off your drive and stay in the fairway.

And Last but not Least....

When in doubt, set your bag down where you think it is and cover EVERYTHING 30' around your bag! 9/10 times, it's within that area...no foolin'!
Lost 4 discs last week in a foot of trampled snow and the furthest one from our bags was 7'!!!!!

anita
Feb 06 2007, 06:43 PM
Or.... throw an ultimate lid. :D

Hot pink works good in case they do happen to dig in. Most times they just plop on top.