superberry
Jan 03 2007, 03:02 PM
Here is what we have drafted up. We have been pushing and pushing to expand to 18 holes for 3 years. We believe it will happen for 2007, but no guarantee yet. We think it's a total double-edged sword that is in front of us. The county wants the course to "prove" its value, but at the same time, we pose that there is minimal risk (if not none), no cost to the county, and that an 18 hole course is much more likely and able to prove itself than the 11 hole course. It's simple "if you build it, they will come".

If any of you have fought the battle for expansion, could you provide some helpful hints, tricks, pointers, and whatever worked for you to finally get over the hump?

"Winter Park Disc Golf would greatly benefit from having an 18-hole layout.

The park is unfortunately not located in or near the city. This is both a positive and a negative. Parks within cities are easily accessible, but the remote location offers a beautiful and unique setting. The park location must be driven too. Therefore, we must understand that players who use the course have traveled from somewhere, even the local community. The surrounding county communities of Kewaunee, Luxemburg, Casco, and Algoma account for a total population of roughly only 25,000. There are simply not the number of players in Kewaunee Co as the surrounding counties � whose populations are 2-5 times larger. It is more likely that players on the course will actually be from surrounding counties given the population and demographics. This is not to say that the park does not draw many local players (which it does, as I ask where players are from every time I see people on the course, and half of the responses are local), it�s just a statistical probability based on population. The local community is becoming more and more accustomed to the sport, and attendance and �talk around the town� continues to grow. We have to recognize that the draw for more players, from any and all areas, will continue to raise the level of awareness and peak interest. The addition of an 18-hole course will draw more players from all around based on three distinct things � the variety of shots greatly increases, it is a cultural mindset and much more �worthwhile� to play 18 holes of any type of golf, and the ability to accommodate more players on the course at one time. The full 18-hole course will prove to be a value to the players, local community, travelers, and county tourism industry.
An 18-hole course holds FAR MORE appeal and attraction to players that are traveling. Take any existing group of players from the nearest courses in Manitowoc, Green Bay, or Appleton. The average travel time for either of those groups is 30-60 minutes to Winter Park. However, a huge number of those players have made that trip because of the uniqueness of Winter Park. Offering more holes will appeal to many others who have just not yet made the commitment to come out and play. Having an appealing, wide variety, 18-hole course is something that will bring players, tourists, and families to the county. Winter Park is indeed a unique disc golf experience. Those that have played casual rounds, leagues in 2006, or the 2006 Ace Race have had nothing but positive comments about the beauty, location, use of terrain, and challenging nature of the course, and have been extremely excited about the possibility of an 18 hole course. Tournaments and leagues have utilized many of the proposed holes of the 18-hole layout in an effort to gauge interest, refine the layout, and receive comments. To offer everyone more holes, and extend their stay and enjoyment of the course and area is a bonus for everyone. A group can easily play through the 11-hole layout in under an hour. 18 holes will extend that time to almost 2 hours, making the trip more �worthwhile�, and also increase the chances of spending additional time in the community for the purchase of grocery, gasoline, personal items, lodging, etc.
Other use of the park is somewhat limited for expanding summer activities. The terrain does not lean favorably to development for other types of sports. The disc golf course will thrive on this unique and challenging nature. The mountain bike trails and disc golf have proven to cohabitate well together and will continue to do so (many players also bike and vice versa).

Variety
The hills provide a unique disc golf setting, but they are challenging. Installing a few loops of wooded holes will offer some shade from the sunny hills as well as rest from the steep slopes. Wooded holes are both feared and absolutely loved by others. The idea of floating a disc between a maze of trees, under the canopy of their leaves is definitely one that rides high in a disc golfer�s mind. It can be extremely frustrating to hit the trees, but builds accuracy and control in your game, and the reward of making that narrow throw is very worthwhile. The beauties of the wooded areas of Winter Park are just as stunning as the hills, and all players should be able to enjoy and experience them.

Level of Use
A course must have at least an 18-hole layout to host a tournament sanctioned by the PDGA, WI Disc Sports Association, or the Appleton Area Disc Golf Club. This allows a field of 5 players per hole, or 90 per event. Most events host 4 major divisions which include 25-35 players each. Also on any given day of play, more holes allow more people to be out enjoying the course as well. The more holes there are, the more groups can be playing and not waiting.
Also, as leagues grow, the ability to host 72 players on an 18-hole course is a great advantage. Consider the Appleton Area Disc Club (which will branch and utilize its established presence to increase disc golf awareness to the members of Kewaunee Co with enough interest) that shows 60-80 players that attend their leagues all nights of the week. This benefit to local players is immeasurable in building their skills by competing with other top players and taking advantage of the learning opportunity. The WPDGC helps players learn about the game and play better at every opportunity, have a larger presence on the course will contribute to increased knowledge.
A practice basket was installed in 2006 with one major purpose being to allow newcomers and curious spectators an opportunity to get up close and explore the aspects of the game without having to venture out onto the course. The WPDGC let a dozen free discs in the basket which have disappeared. We are hoping that they were indeed grabbed by interested parties who did not have the equipment to start playing immediately (in fact, we have found some lost ones in the woods).

Maintenance
The wooded holes provide absolutely no additional upkeep as related to the grass cutting on the hill. Brush, limbs, branches will all be cleaned and cleared by the WPDGC. Basket and sign removal will still be the responsibility of WPDGC. Soil erosion is not a concern at this time and may never become the same type of concern as other courses. Some of these course that express concern over erosion are HUGELY popular and have taken 10-15 years to reach that status. By removing the baskets in the winter and not reinstalling until the hill is dry, we can greatly reduce soil erosion. The WPDGC will also address problem areas with the use of seeding and sacrificial surfaces (stone, woodchips, rubber mats, etc).

Income
Being able to host leagues, tournaments, and other events provides an income opportunity to raise additional funds for course improvements, as well as investment into the growth and welfare of the local community through volunteer work, demonstrations, clinics, �free� days, etc. It also increases the number of holes which can be sponsored by local business, providing additional community presence and promotion.

In Summary
Expanding Winter Park Disc Golf to include an 18-hole layout is a no lose proposal, and should be considered sincere in its best interest for everyone. There will be no expense to the county. Baskets have been purchased and are awaiting installation. Tee signs and posts will also be purchased by WPDGC. WPDGC will purchase the crushed stone for the tee pads as well. No additional grass cutting is required of these wooded holes. The allure and draw of a course as unique as Winter Park will increase enormously with an 18-hole layout. This will bring more business and tourism to the area. All the players get the same amount of use of the park, enjoying the scenic beauty, and experiencing a complete mixed variety of disc golf holes with the additional of wooded, water hazard, and another monster throw off the hill. It is EXTREMELY RARE that a course can offer long holes, short holes, uphill, downhill, water hazard, open holes, tight wooded holes, all along with the absolutely gorgeous beauty of the river valley. Courses that have this special, balanced offering of most every type of hole a disc golfer could ask for will ALWAYS thrive and continue to grow as word of mouth inevitably spreads after enjoying the unique course. With the mix of traveling and local players, maybe the love and enjoyment of disc golf will grow as friendships are formed and disc golf stories are shared. More experienced players can help with newcomers (which is the idea of mixed double leagues). And the community will have the opportunity to see professional disc golf first hand as the top players in the state and nation compete in tournaments (PDGA Sanctioned Event is scheduled for Aug 19, 2007 at the park), and the course becomes more and more popular and receives all the attention it will very well develop with its unique scenery and challenging layout.

Please, seriously consider (and players express a desire to help with the expansion and support the course as it grows) expansion to a full 18-hole layout for spring 2007 � the fourth year of the course! The sooner the better, as we can start work and accomplish more given more time. The benefit is there and is real. Risk is virtually zero as volunteers will handle all of this expansion, and we�re sure any other concerns can be handled appropriately. Proving the course with 18 holes will show to be much easier than with 11 holes, and the already low risk is the same in either case. Proving comes with time and word of mouth. We are confident that word of mouth will increase exponentially with an 18-hole layout. Not utilizing Winter Park Disc Golf Course in an 18-hole capacity is greatly underestimating and underuse of its full and great potential.

Sincerely,

All Winter Park Disc Golf Club members and supporters

PS The WPDGC tries to maintain a positive presence by both promoting disc golf and providing a benefit to the local community. We are very interested and stay aware of what is going on at the course. Please do not hesitate to stop and talk to anyone if they ask you about disc golf. Feel free to share your opinions and spread the word about the sport. Although we see hundreds of players on the course throughout the season, we really do not have a good idea how many players are actually out there playing. If you are a local player, or know a local player, let us know. Contact the club and just share your experience, help us gauge how many players are using the course. Tell us what you think, offer suggestions, and offer up some of your time to volunteer just a little. Increased and demonstrated use of the course will help it continue to grow, expand, and improve. All we need is to spread the awareness."

ck34
Jan 03 2007, 03:06 PM
Contact the Shakopee, MN Park Dept. Traffic on their 12- hole course which had been around for about 7 years increased perhaps 7-10 times once the course was expanded to 18 holes a few years ago.

mule1
Jan 03 2007, 08:31 PM
I do not have any data to support this, but, as our club President I had three 9 hole courses installed here in Charlotte during my reign, as well as a number of 18 hole courses. The fact is that the 9 hole courses get almost no play. I had hoped that 9 hole courses would create a venue for locals and that would create more players on the long run. NOT !!!!! We removed one of the courses to better utilize the baskets and turn one of the other 9 hole courses into an 18 holer. The other 9 hole course may disappear to the same end. I don't know why, but 18 is better than anything less.

davidsauls
Jan 04 2007, 09:45 AM
As a habitual traveler who has played many courses in many states during my wanderings---and bought gas and food in dozens of towns I would not have otherwise visited---a 9-hole course is just an appetizer, not a meal, and hardly warrants a long drive or deviation off course for such a short amount of play. The dozen or so 9- or 12-hole courses I have visited had the virtues of having them all to myself --- they always seemed very little-used.

superberry
Jan 04 2007, 10:11 AM
Why do you all think this is? Passing up 9 holers regardless of how good they are. I refer to it as simply a cultural mindset. Standing Rocks here in WI used to be just a 9 holer, but I too never gave it much thought to going out to play. Well, guess what, Standing Rocks is and always has been an amazing course! I've pushed this concept for the past 2 seasons (and now again for this season). I keep hearing from the county director that they can't justify expansion without proving use. Personally I think we have more than proved extensive use of the course considering location, population, and demographics. But I know for a fact that an 18 hole layout is a simple key element in bringing in more players. Variety, another 700'+ throw off a 75' hill, tight woods, and a creek water hazard just add to the experience.

That's why I'm asking for some testimonial, references, whatever I can round up. Despite me 'knowing' that 18 holes will prove much more appealing, it hasn't been enough.

I called Shakopee and will have our Co director call over there. Mule1, can I use your testimonial as well as a formewr club president? PM me with any contact info I could share with our parks dept. Anyone else willing to offer first hand testimonial? I'm looking for proven increased use as well as impacts (or lack of) the increased traffic has had on the course and community.

xterramatt
Jan 04 2007, 07:09 PM
I think the problem with many 9 holers is that they are afraid to be too bold. between not wanting to do any real course work like cutting trees, and not wanting to challenge anyone, most 9 holers simply don't fulfill the desire that a lot of 18 hole courses provide. Unless it's a truly great course, most 9 hole courses seem to fade into obscurity.

Even 18 hole courses, if they come in after other good 18 hole courses can suffer. If the next course is not a bit of an upgrade from the first course, be that in challenge, terrain, convenience, or other intangibles, it simply won't get utilized by the core group of players. As towns develop more courses, It would seem that adding challenge/diversity/terrain/amenities/creativity is key to creating a successful new course launch. Repeating a plan for a successful local course doesn't always create a winner of a course. Having courses with different personalities is important if you want players to frequent more than their favorite course.

9 holes can be a good course, but the past shows that 18 holes draws a crowd.

ck34
Jan 04 2007, 07:13 PM
In some cases, I've been abe to install a 9-hole course with dual tees where the challenge of playing 9 from each tee was a legit 18 holes. Red Oak in Burnsville was the first of those in the early-90s when the long 9 was over 3500 feet, certainly long for the time. I think playing all tees ended up around 6000 feet.

stevenpwest
Jan 05 2007, 12:50 AM
Start with one sentence stating exactly what you are proposing. Make it worded so they can just say "OK". (Sure, there will be revisions and choices to make later on, but a specific proposal is a lot easier to consider.)

They'll expect the reasons supporting the proposal next.

Winter Park Disc Golf is not who you are trying to convince, right? I'm actually not sure who you are trying to convince, but your opening should be "You-who-we-are-trying-to-convince would greatly benefit ...

Then, every single reason you give for them to do your proposal should be because it is good for them. Look up their mission statement, annual plan, policies, whatever. These days, they should be on-line and searchable. Somewhere in there will be something about serving people, and you are people, so doing good for WPDG is doing their job better. Or something like that. You'll get lots of ideas from reading these materials. Phrase everything according to their goals, not your desires.

Have someone look over the grammer and spelling very carefully. For example, "drive too" does not mean the same thing as "drive to". A few errors like that will make it hard to read your proposal.

Break up the paragraphs into smaller paragraphs, break up the sentences into smaller sentences. Consider bullet points and titles to organize your thoughts. (Use complete sentences for each bullet point or title.)

Include maps, addresses, anything that helps them focus on "just what the heck am I looking at anyway?"

OK, these suggestions don't have anything to do with 18 holes versus fewer, but I hope they help anyway.

circle_2
Jan 05 2007, 12:54 PM
There's 18 shots in a fifth! :cool:

mule1
Jan 05 2007, 08:47 PM
I pm'd you a minute ago. In the Charlotte area we had 5- 9 hole courses recently. None of these courses ever got much play. The biggest telling tale was at Sugaw Creek. We had 9 holes there for 4 or 5 years or more and nobody wanted to go there. It was a wonderful 9 hole course. Okay, I designed it so you have to take my ego into account, but it was a really good 9 hole course. So, finally we removed the baskets from another really good 9 hole course (it was near the ghetto and people were scared to go there) and I expanded Sugaw to 18 holes. It gets tons of play now. I would guess that the average rounds per day went from under 1 round per day to 10-20 rounds per weekday and many many more on weekends. By the way, I love to play ball golf. Sometimes a friend of mine wants me to play a local 9 hole course with him. I can't take it! I want 18 and then I want more. 9 holes just won't do.

morgan
Jan 11 2007, 01:41 AM

A fifth?

Don't you mean a 750?

Sorry, but while you were asleep the whole world went metric on us.

Jan 11 2007, 05:55 PM
Fritz park in Iving , Tx is a FANTASTIC 9 hole course.
Should be 18, but thats a long story.

circle_2
Jan 12 2007, 07:56 PM

A fifth?

Don't you mean a 750?

Sorry, but while you were asleep the whole world went metric on us.

Golf started in Scotland/Ireland, right? 18 shots in a 'bottle'. :D

LastBoyScout
Jan 29 2007, 02:09 PM
My city wants to see the same thing from us before funding an additional disc golf course or installation. We are currently expanding and improving the current course. So far I found a local eagle scout to build benches for every hole that did not have one, got additional trash barrels donated from lowes (lowes and home depot are huge about giving back to the community. You just have to have a real nice letter and actual reasons why this would benefit the community).

If you have an additional course near by, why not run a `Cross Town Open. Have it be a benefit tourney. Proceeds go to helping to fund and build the course. Sell additional mulligans for $5 each, and make that unlimited. Just be sure to get as many cash donations for selling tee signs for each hole on the courses being played. That is a huge revenue draw, and you could use that as a good faith guesture for the city.

Also, starting a club is good as well. That helps you play the "Club will help to maintain the course" approach with the city.

I would say that with creating a disc golf club last year, our efforts have seen about a 250% to 300% increase in the number of players at the course. Where a year ago we had maybe 20 players total playing the course a week, we now have around 55 to 60 different people a week.

Clubs are good ways to raise money for the course and help keep it in top shape.