Ethan_Wellin
Dec 28 2006, 03:26 PM
I'm 16 years old, and I am trying to push out my backhand drive distance by next spring. I get out and drive in an open field 2-3 times a week, and it was helping for quite a while. Now my distance seems to have plateaued right around 300 feet. I know this should not be my max physically, so I am pretty sure I am doing something wrong with my form.
I have read all of Blake's articles, but nothing is really sticking out at me. I uploaded a video of myself throwing here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkvV3JmxjNU)
Is there something obvious that is wrong, or do I just need more snap and or strength?
Additional info:
Drivers... ~170g Pro Starfires, Star Wraiths, ESP Surges, Pro TL
Max D: 300 ft, thrown anhyzer (I'm bad at Hyzerflip)

DSproAVIAR
Dec 28 2006, 03:40 PM
I can't comment specifically on your form, there are others with more knowledge here. I can say that plateaus happen. Just keep practicing and grinding away. Sometimes it takes 6 months or a year to get off a plateau, but the time spent will be well worth it.

TimMirabal
Dec 28 2006, 03:48 PM
Some people might say dont listen to a 15 year old kid (which i am ) but i see where your coming from since i am the same age. I dont know 100% what im talking about but what i do works for me i my average drive is 385-405. you seem to have a swinging motion in your throw i try to pull my arm threw not swing it try it out and tell me how it goes.

Big E
Dec 28 2006, 04:03 PM
I would say put a little speed in your x step, take advantage of the cross over. Just my own 2 cents!

DSproAVIAR
Dec 28 2006, 04:16 PM
yes quick feet.

How is your grip?

dannyreeves
Dec 28 2006, 04:32 PM
You look like you have nice form (for a 300 ft. drive).

Some people may not agree but to throw 400+', you have to throw HARD. Most people try to throw hard before they have the skills to do it with timing and rhythm.

I think you should continue to throw like that for your accuracy drives but while you are experimenting in the field, try to really let some go. You gotta keep it within your control but you have to learn to push your energy through the disc, especially at the end of the throw. From the point where your disc is near your midsection, til the end of your release, you should keep the accelleration going as fast and hard as you can.

The way you can check this is by the follow-through. At the "hit" lean forward a little more (line your chest up directly over your right knee) and almost fall on your face after letting go. This ensures that all of your weight and energy is going forward and pushing the disc.

Keep trying. It will work.

Ethan_Wellin
Dec 28 2006, 05:51 PM
How is your grip?

I just switched to a four finger power grip a month or so ago. I am starting to get fairly comfortable with it. My grip has never been super strong, but it is getting better all the time.

bschweberger
Dec 28 2006, 07:02 PM
I would say put a little speed in your x step, take advantage of the cross over. Just my own 2 cents!

This is the first thing i would say work on. If you have watched any other videos of top players, you will se that when they do their X-step, they are off the ground a liTTle bit which means they have some forward momentum to help get the body into the throw more.

dionarlyn
Dec 28 2006, 07:23 PM
There are a lot o factors that go into distance driving. I think you have pretty good form from the video, so heres the little bit I have to offer.
-reach back farther, extending the distance in which the disc is picking up momentum, also increasing the torque of your own body.
-practice the hyzer flip
-more of a pulling action v. a swinging action of the arm
-get low, bend the knees and settle into the throw.

Hope it helps. practicing in a field was a great choice. just keep isolating one skill to focus on at a time and soon it will all come together.

Good luck

Ron

boredatwork
Dec 28 2006, 07:52 PM
Looks to me like your form is pretty solid. The others here have listed good advice.
I would agree that you are not reaching back quite far enough. Try turning your shoulders and head away from your target a little further. As you pull through try to move the disc in a straight line without any swinging (swing just refers to an arc that you pull the disc through instead of just a straight line. if you held the disc out at full extended arms length and swung in a circle it would provide no power for disc rotation) pull through this line and focus on the HIT which is the moment you impart most of the energy on the disc. At first this will decrease your accuracy but that's okay if you're getting used to creating the hit (the hit will not require a huge amount of energy, it should occur quickly, a snap in a single instant) Then later you can develop a follow through that will help improve accuracy. Other ideas are to bend your knees a little lower to the ground and speed up the last moment before you release. Good luck!

nanook
Dec 28 2006, 09:29 PM
Actually, I find I drive farther and more consistently with a "walk-up" as opposed to a "run-up". Most of the time when I'm driving poorly, it is because I am rushing through my delivery. As soon as I recognize it, and slow down my x-step to a walk, things are fine again.

I may not be the longest arm around in my area, but I do okay and I'm throwing farther now @ age 37 than any time in the past. I now throw midrange discs on holes that I couldn't reach with drivers just 3-4 years ago.

I definitely reach as far back as possible (as mentioned before); almost facing 180 degrees away from the target at one point. When I start to rotate forward, I really concentrate on accelerating my arm through the entire motion. I try to think of it as: "fast, faster, fastest", with maximum pull through "the hit". I feel as though I am using most of my "core" (hips, torso, and shoulders in addition to arms) to generate this. I agree with the post that mentioned weight forward, I definitely do that and follow through with my entire body.

Keep working at it, sooner or later you will start pushing your max-D farther and farther out. As a young guy, you've got a lot of time to develop your game! Good luck!

nanook

MARKB
Dec 28 2006, 09:52 PM
Definately work on speeding up your momentum first.

I would disagree with the comments about your reach back. Do not worry about it too much for now because it looks fine. You really cannot get too much more of a reach back anyhow. Its not how far the disc reaches back its your elbow.

With increased runup you will probably have a faster hip turn which will help increase your arm speed and you should start seeing some more distance.

Be careful though, work on one thing at a time. Dont try to do anything too fast. Make sure to keep the accuracy while you add a little bit of distance at the same time. Always remain balanced and in control.

Practice some, let us know how your doing, film yourself again and we can go from there.

Ethan_Wellin
Dec 28 2006, 10:56 PM
Thanks everyone, I will go out and try some of this tomorrow, and hopefully post another video... :D

pnkgtr
Dec 29 2006, 04:34 AM
It looks like you are only trying to throw 300'. Good form for a short shot. It looks like the missing element may be body torque. You need to get it more involved in the throw.

jfsheffield
Dec 29 2006, 08:51 PM
Ethan, just my two cents worth, it looks like you may be 'arming' it a little due to the rhythm of your plant foot and the whip of your throw. It seems there is a bit two much delay from the plant to the whip which is making your hips come through slow and you are strong arming the throw. After field practice where are you sore? My guess is that you are feeling sore in the upper body vice the legs.

Parkntwoputt
Dec 30 2006, 10:11 PM
The main problems I see are your speed and exaggeration of your X-step.

You start your X-step with your hips closed (facing 180 degrees to line of your throw). Start with an open stance, with your hips facing 90 degrees to your line of throw.

When doing your x-step after you first plant your right foot and begin to move your left, exaggerate your left foot step more. This is the step that really starts your hip turn.

Accelerate your arm through the pull, your arm should get faster as you get to the hit. The acceleration is made possible from the hip turn and should start from such.

Watch videos of the top pros of this game. Cam Todd and Barry Schultz come to mind when thinking of good powerful form. Their drives can be found on Blake's site. Imitation is key, just like any other sport where learning form is key. You have good for so far, but you are not putting any weight or power into your throws. The first thing you will notice is that your discs will fly less stable as you are putting more speed behind them. You should be able to get that hyzer flip out of your discs that you are missing, and should see a sizeable improvement in your distance. If videos don't help with imitation, try playing more rounds with the pros in your area.

dgalmo
Dec 31 2006, 01:55 PM
I think everyone has given you good advice. Here's my take on your throw:

I too had a hard time really getting my lower body into my throw. When people would tell me this, it was even hard to actually do it. I finally got my body into my throw by doing this:

First, I take the reachback out of my runnup. When I reach back, I do it slowly, with purpose, like im setting up my throw, not already into it. I also use my left arm and not my right arm to pull my shoulders farther into the reach back. With a slow reach back and my shoulders back, its easier for me to really put some body into it..

BigMack
Jan 02 2007, 07:07 PM
I like how your form looks balanced and controlled. Many beginners try to throw too hard and look spastic. You are ahead of the game.

Here are some tips that helped me increase my distance:

1. Keep it smooth through the run up and then when you hit the plant:

2. SNAP THAT DISC!!! Once I developed snap it seemed like my disc just kept going. An anaology that helped me get the feel was to simulate the motion that you would make when you are snapping a towel sharply...like in the lockerroom. Another thing that helped me get a little more snap was cocking my wrist just a skosh. After looking at your video it just doesn't look like you're snapping the disc. Use those fast twitch muscle fibers and really put something into it.

3. Try throwing a more understable disc and learn the hyzer flip & glide. I can throw a Flash just about as far as a Wraith because I throw it on a hyzer, it flips, comes out and glides.

4. Keep your upper body low when you're snapping through. A lot of beginners have a tendency to throw up...I tell them that it almost feels like you're throwing down.

I would say that the most valuable thing that has increased my distance was getting the feel and understanding of SNAP.

Keep practicing, stay patient, play with really good players and possibly look into taking a lesson or two from a top pro...the feedback from a coach can go a long way.

Good luck!!!!! Before you know it you'll be driving over '500. I remember when I started it seemed like I would never get over '350. It just comes with time.

quickdisc
Jan 02 2007, 09:06 PM
I would say that the most valuable thing that has increased my distance was getting the feel and understanding of SNAP.

/msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Sounds good !!!!

tcdiscgolfer
Jan 03 2007, 09:05 PM
I watched your video and you have good form. There are only two problems that may help you get off that plateau. I saw that when you go to pull back you leave your left hand on the disc, not allowing you to get full extention when you pull back. The other problem I saw was that you drag your left foot a little on the ground not allowing you to get a full follow through. Try correcting those two things and they may get you off your plateau. It worked for me when I quit holding my disc and really exagerating my pull back and dragging my foot. I increased my distance by at least 100-150 foot.

mistuhmiles
Jan 04 2007, 01:57 PM
great advice from everyone.

i saw that you have a swooping (it has been mentioned as a swinging motion) motion in your pull. you are losing torque. also you look like you are throwing a placement shot. more energy. whip your arm through. ther only other thing is try shifting your weight more. that will generate more momentum. hope this helps.