TimMirabal
Dec 26 2006, 04:09 PM
I can throw around 400 feet but i have to throw something like a Star Monster to get that distance, i seem to turn over a lot of stuff like Blurrs, infernos , rageing infernos, crushes , is it the way i release the disc or what . I can throw a gateway spirt with a little s curve around 400 as well

Dec 26 2006, 04:27 PM
Sounds like you are rolling your wrist (off-axis torque). There are several articles on this site (http://www.discgolfreview.com) that can help. My .02

Benefit1970
Dec 26 2006, 05:44 PM
My 2 cents is to get a Sidewinder and throw it 75% full speed. Try to release it flat. More than likely, you will pull them right and directly into the ground at first. Once you can release them flat at 75%, try going at 100%... By the time you can throw a sidewinder full speed, you will be releasing it at a hyzer angle and watching it flip up. Find the happy medium between throwing them flat and pulling them right. Thats all I got. -Brandon

Greg_R
Jan 05 2007, 04:36 PM
-or- get a bunch of putters and drive with them. Once you can crank a putter straight and flat (it will gain significant elevation) then you'll have solved your wrist torque problems.

Ruder
Jan 08 2007, 08:25 PM
I agree with the sidewinder/putter theory. It sounds like you are just trying to throw to hard. I guess there is nothing inherently wrong with throwing to hard, but if you don't have the dynamics to control it then you will have to take a few steps back and solidify your mechanics. Even for an awesome player it is hard to throw hard and keep everything in check, it is much better left for shots with a lot of room for error.

I mean, what good is 400 ft if you turn over your disc and are out of bounds or just have a terrible shot.

circle_2
Jan 09 2007, 01:38 PM
Am assuming you're throwing backhand drives... Probably everyone tries/throws too hard before learning control...thus a good reason that great players make it look so easy.

Just a guess, but the mechanics required to keep the disc's nose down at the hit are likely the result of 'necessary changes' in the muscles/ligaments/tendons...especially in the forearm. Look down your arm with your palm perpendicular to the Earth, thumb pointed upwards...now point your thumb forward and away from you. Here is where nose-down begins as 'keeping the disc in proper orientation' when 'applying the power' is critical. Getting all the above elements to re~orient themselves (and essentially elongate) takes time - months if not years of repetitions - ...AND patience.

Certain athletes seem to have an advantage since these bio-mechanical changes are already in place. Tennis/racquetball/left-handed folks that play ballgolf right-handed are pre-tuned to deliver good power using their established mechanics.
.02 // YMMV

abee1010
Jan 09 2007, 02:43 PM
And Daymon Pugh's forearm was broken as a child and not set right. Ironically, this left his arm and hand at the perfect angle to throw a disc flat! I've never seem anyone as consistant as him from 80ft.