jorr
Dec 19 2006, 09:30 PM
alright so I brought my basket inside today and was wondering if this situation would help my putting or not...

I have a 3 to 4 foot wide hall that goes into my room in the basement...it is probably like 5 to 6 feet long...what I am planning is to put the basket either in my room or that hallway to work on tunnel vision and just overall accuracy with the basket....I could probably get up to 25 feet from the basket and the added tight hall I would have to throw through

So do you think that this is too much of a controlled situation or would it really help? I think that by limiting my view at the basket and my putting lane to a very straight line that it could really help me get more accurate and consistent but I just wanted everyone elses input... /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Thanks!

bravo
Dec 19 2006, 09:51 PM
tight practice is good.
inside is bad.
back stops are bad unless look like a tree.
this is just my opinion and im not the best putter,however if you can move to the out doorss and pre mark different foot locations i believe that would be more efective.

AviarX
Dec 19 2006, 10:21 PM
i think it will help you a lot if you practice enough that those 25 footers become pretty automatic for you. i used to practice in my basement and worried the low ceiling and no wind would not help much. but it helped me get my mechanics down. it's not good though if you want to putt with loft. (i think a putt that lifts then drops sees a bigger opening going down than does a putt going line-drive. a line-drive putt though may be better in the wind and i think they look more deadly ;)

last year i moved it out side and that's great except i never practice. i am thinking of moving it back in so i can start practicing daily. then, when the wind and other outdoor conditions come into play you can always adjust a little.

if you can get yourself to practice outdoors that is the way to go. but if indoors will get you a lot more rep.s -- i say go for it.

mistuhmiles
Dec 21 2006, 04:17 PM
i think you will lose the perception. for me when i'm outside my visioin gets wide. if i have a tunnel putt outdoors i automatically focus more because there isn't anything going on. when i practice i practice in an open area mainly to train myself to focus no matter what. inside you would have no distraction.

jorr
Dec 21 2006, 04:42 PM
Thats a good point...I have been doing it the last few days and while I have noticed that my putting stroke has gotten smoother with the added practice it really is not that tight of a tunnel...honestly it is probably not much different than my normal putting lane... maybe its better for the actual muscle memory but not the focusing part?

jonnydobos
Dec 21 2006, 05:08 PM
For me, a basket in a wide open area is more difficult to putt on since things with obstacles or landmarks are easier for aiming and perception, so I don't think the tunnel idea will gain you too much.

However, like you said the muscle memory and repitition will most certainly help your game, so I'd stay with it, but I don't see the tunnel aspect doing a whole lot

Koronin
Dec 22 2006, 12:03 PM
If it's just too cold/poor weather out, then it's a very good thing. I'd prefer to keep mine (if I had one) outdoors where there's wind.

bschweberger
Dec 26 2006, 02:18 AM
repetition for muscle memory is never a bad thing unless the focus is not there.

Zott
Nov 14 2007, 10:15 PM
The way I see it is; putting is about muscle/brain memory and the more you putt the more you retain. Practice is good No matter how it is done. I cant imagine anyone telling you different. Practice outside when it is possible and inside when it isn't. I take a basket with me to tourneys so I can practice in the motel room in the evening. Putting for me is something I have to do all the time to be any good at it, and when I dont practice "I SUCK!" :D

pnkgtr
Nov 15 2007, 02:36 AM
It is possible to repeatedly practice bad putting form.

mikeP
Nov 15 2007, 09:19 AM
Good form is the first goal. Once you have your basic form down, practice the same routine as you would do in competition. I've noticed that practiced putters need less time lining up and so on before they putt. This sort of "automatic" feeling really cuts down on your chances of "thinking your way" into missing a putt (doubts, fears).

Karl
Nov 15 2007, 11:00 AM
My college coach used to say about practicing (and javelin throwing is not so dissimilar to disc golf putting when you look at it from the context of...):

"When you're doing everything perfectly, quit - you can only go downhill from there. You know how to do it (that day) so what good is practicing?"

"If you can't do anything right that day, quit - you'll only frustrate yourself (and then not have confidence / want to practice tomorrow)."

"It's the days when it's inbetween the other two situations that you need to practice! Something wrong to work on and just a little bit of success to keep you coming back!"

Karl

mikeP
Nov 15 2007, 02:36 PM
That's a great quote. I totally agree with respect to disc golf. The days that I go out to practice and everything is going well--I just throw one drive, upshot, and putt. 18 holes and its over. I have no desire to keep going. The days where I'm shanking everything--I leave after nine holes and scratch it up to stress or soreness or whatever. When only half my shots are good I could play all day because I feel like I'm making progress.