opereida
Dec 18 2006, 12:41 AM
Post deleted by opereida

mistuhmiles
Dec 18 2006, 02:06 AM
i think this is a good idea for the same reasons already said. i for one would have no problem with this. to make this happen we need people in place to make sure is kept track of and done right. whether this is done by volunteers or by vote is the question. i look forward to lodga being a great force in disc golf.

losotd
Dec 18 2006, 05:13 PM
huh?

mistuhmiles
Dec 18 2006, 07:42 PM
why did he delete his post? was it something i said?

SAP
Dec 18 2006, 09:43 PM
He accidentally deleted his thread. Does anyone know how to start a poll? I think this would be a great move towards a growing disc golf club.

rtinsa
Dec 18 2006, 10:13 PM
When you post a thread you have an option in the selection section.

rtinsa
Dec 18 2006, 10:14 PM
why did he delete his post? was it something i said?

What up Mile's! :cool:Nothing you said Dude!

opereida
Dec 18 2006, 10:38 PM
OK, so I thought I was good at computers. I accidentally deleted this post but wanted to keep it going. I will try to duplicate what I said in the original post.

I have read on LODGA Post's that the club needs to be more organized. I agree and I think more of the club members feel the same way. I think we should start paying annual dues and having Club meetings maybe once a month before one of the minis to discuss any club issues. We should vote on Club Positions (President, Treasurer, Etc:) or consider taking volunteers. By becoming a dues paying Disc Golf Club we could use our money for lots of things for our courses, players, city etc:. I played a round at Universal City today and I think new baskets are in desperate need at that course and maybe that would be something we would want to purchase with our club fund. I have lots of suggestions for this subject and can't wait to hear from my fellow LODGA Members. I want our club to be the best and I think it is time for us to head in this direction. Look up other Disc Golf Clubs on the net and you will see the majority are paying dues and are organized. Lets do this!!!!

opereida
Dec 18 2006, 11:06 PM
Oh, and I did want to say that I am very greatful for those individuals that continue to step up and run the mini's and do other things for LODGA. Great Job!!! ;) Thanks!!!

krazyeye
Dec 18 2006, 11:27 PM
your club rocks don't screw it up.

mistuhmiles
Dec 19 2006, 12:29 AM
i know RT.

opereida
Dec 19 2006, 12:44 AM
"your club rocks don't screw it up."

How is trying to make it stronger, screwing it up? Are you a member of LODGA? How do you know it rocks?

Raymond_Pereida
Dec 19 2006, 12:51 AM
He must of heard it through the grapevine!!!! :D

krazyeye
Dec 19 2006, 02:32 AM
Everybody knows Five Strokes rocks. :D

seewhere
Dec 19 2006, 11:39 AM
five strokes is almost as good as ROUND ROCK!!!!! :D

wheresdave
Dec 19 2006, 12:11 PM
Hey Chris we are trying to do something good here, then you come around and put us down by comparing us to Round Rock Pasture Golf :o:D

seewhere
Dec 19 2006, 12:33 PM
yes a pasture you better stay out of cuz you can't handle the D :D

wheresdave
Dec 19 2006, 12:35 PM
Your right there Chris was never much for grazing :D

losotd
Dec 19 2006, 03:09 PM
I said huh earlier because it is very easy to say you want a dues paying club but much more difficult to do. Questions to be answered and other considerations:

How much are the dues?
How frequent, annually?
What are the dues for?
Who will collect them?
Who will keep the dues, or put them in a bank?
Who will remind players that dues are due?
What do you do if they don't pay? Not allowed to play in minis?
Will you formalize a charter and elect officers?
Will you petition the state for non-profit status?
Will you have a newsletter, who will write it, who will send it out?
That's just the start to a long list of quesitons that have to be answered.

An organized club is work, work, work, and you need a core set of volunteers who are willing to work their tails off, and willing to take the abuse of the members who disagree with what is being done. Because of my family situation I can't step up at this time and be a front runner. I can offer suggestions and will be glad to meet some evening. But if it's like the other meetings I have asked people to attned, you'll be lucky to get 3 or 4 show up. I wouldn't even consider this path unless you get 10 or more WILLING TO WORK, not just show up and throw out ideas. Any yahoo can do that.

Think hard about this. Things are going pretty smooth right now. If you want to raise money for baskets, then start a basket fund from the mini proceeds or have a special tournament. Dues = headaches in my opinion.

wheresdave
Dec 19 2006, 03:27 PM
Well from what I have seen in the pass I think Brian is right about starting a formal club its hard enough just to get people to volunteer to run mini's no less a club. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif :D

suemac
Dec 19 2006, 03:33 PM
In Houston we provide a discount for members when signing up for minis or league. that provides incentive to folks who might not join otherwise.

Good luck with your efforts, it is a challenge but can be quite satisifing when good things start getting better due to the coordiation/affiliation of one local group.

Look at TSDGC, just imagine what LOSO could become!

rtinsa
Dec 19 2006, 04:14 PM
I said huh earlier because it is very easy to say you want a dues paying club but much more difficult to do. Questions to be answered and other considerations:

How much are the dues?
How frequent, annually?
What are the dues for?
Who will collect them?
Who will keep the dues, or put them in a bank?
Who will remind players that dues are due?
What do you do if they don't pay? Not allowed to play in minis?
Will you formalize a charter and elect officers?
Will you petition the state for non-profit status?
Will you have a newsletter, who will write it, who will send it out?
That's just the start to a long list of quesitons that have to be answered.

An organized club is work, work, work, and you need a core set of volunteers who are willing to work their tails off, and willing to take the abuse of the members who disagree with what is being done. Because of my family situation I can't step up at this time and be a front runner. I can offer suggestions and will be glad to meet some evening. But if it's like the other meetings I have asked people to attned, you'll be lucky to get 3 or 4 show up. I wouldn't even consider this path unless you get 10 or more WILLING TO WORK, not just show up and throw out ideas. Any yahoo can do that.

Think hard about this. Things are going pretty smooth right now. If you want to raise money for baskets, then start a basket fund from the mini proceeds or have a special tournament. Dues = headaches in my opinion.

Yep! /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
I say throw some idea's out now.
And have an organized meeting after the New Year!
All of us are busy during Christ!Mas! and New Year's!
If you build it! They will fly! :cool:

Thx for stoppin by Sue!
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f47/backroadmanagement/70161760_l.gif

jimbo1944
Dec 19 2006, 04:20 PM
I understand where Brian is coming from and his frustration from the past. I have been involved with clubs in the past (bass clubs, soccer clubs, coaching basketball, baseball, etc.). But I feel for us to be effective in advancing disc golf in this area, we need to be more organized. To go before cities to present our ideas and some of the advantages of their having disc golf courses in their area, we need to be organized. I would like to see us as a body show the area what we can do to help, to help keep courses clean, to manicure if need be, replace baskets as needed, etc.
One person does not run a club and I think that is where a lot of Brian's frustration has come from, when he has had to do most of the work. I think we have seen lately that there are others that are willing to step up. All decisions would be the result of what the members want by vote and everyone would have to understand that when they join.
I don't know if dues are necessary, but you would need some way of deciding membership. As far as money, you could make money off bag tags, tee shirts, tournaments, minis, etc.
I also feel a newsletter is a good idea, to keep members informed of what has happened, what is going to happen, if someone has something to sell, if someone is looking for a disc, etc. You could send it at no cost to those that have access to email and only have the expence of sending to those that don't.
Brian has some good points and each would have to be addressed before we could move on. Maybe feedback from others that have clubs would help. I also definately agree that if the support is not there it would not be worthwhile to continue with the idea.
Maybe at a mini we could hand out slips to see what the interest would be and set a date to meet. Maybe we could get the club house or the building behind the pool at Live Oak to meet.
I know a lot of guys don't get on the thread, so we would need to get the word out to them also.

Just some thoughts. Lets hear from others.

opereida
Dec 19 2006, 04:51 PM
Like Brian said it is easier said than done and I know it might be headaches at times but I still think it is needed here. As more courses go up in the San Antonio area LODGA is going to be HUGE!!!. Brian also listed lots of questions that we will come across if we decide to pursue this path. I asked myself some of those same questions. As RT said, we should wait to discuss this till after the Holiday's. Maybe we can have a meeting before one of the mini's next year. I am not saying to start this process immediately but to just think about it. Thanks for the input everyone. :)

suemac
Dec 19 2006, 05:26 PM
Merry Christmas to all you LIve Oak Folks!

My observation would be that things generally continue to be handled by the same few tireless volunteers, but it does provide creditability to those outside our sport. And I would expect that as a new club you will see an influx of members who will "test drive" the idea in the beginning.

Please just don't make it a party thing like the folks up the road. J/K

So, who do I pay my dues to for 2007? :)

gnduke
Dec 19 2006, 07:44 PM
Yes, there needs to be dues, even if it's only $15 per year.

Make it $25 and spend it all on a party at the end of the year, it doesn't matter, but there needs to be a statement that you want to be involved and are personally investing in the club.

losotd
Dec 20 2006, 01:55 PM
Gary just volunteered to be our treasurer :D What's your address again?

jimbo1944
Dec 20 2006, 01:59 PM
Makes cents (sense) to me. :D

wheresdave
Dec 20 2006, 02:47 PM
Gary just volunteered to be our treasurer :D What's your address again?

Oh and it looks like Brian volunteered be our Communication Director :o:Dsee how easy it is getting volunteers :D

SAP
Dec 20 2006, 03:13 PM
I've got accounting skills for a ledger/budget system needed. I'd love to help. Or I volunteer myself for the newletter. I'd also like to start a mailing list so that notices can go out for upcoming meetings and/or provide a schedule of meetings in the newsletter. This is becoming a very positive outcome.....Thanks for pulling together TEAM!!!! Once the new year rolls around we should have a meeting.....this way everyone has a say and votes can be taken. Voting probably won't be into play until we map it all out. I can also take the minutes (record) for each meeting....anything you need I'm willing to support us. :D

rtinsa
Dec 20 2006, 05:03 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/moonlitedoll/reasongraphic.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/mitsiki/myspace/christmas/1.gif

MerryChris�mas!!! And A Happy New Year!
From the Evans Brother's!

gnduke
Dec 20 2006, 07:00 PM
I've got accounting skills for a ledger/budget system needed.

Well, at least I'm off the hook.....

I still say that a physical buy in adds a sense of belonging that a free membership does not. Even if it's just a token amount.

sleeper
Dec 21 2006, 06:04 PM
Just wanted to relate how we do things here in Lubbock. Our membership is $10.00, USUALLY. (We did have $20.00 memberships one year that got you a club tee and numbered bag tag, but that was a special deal.) We have one VERY responsible member who is our treasurer. As a club, we purchase 200-250 discs at a time. Our club minis are payed out in club plastic. Club members pay less to play in our minis. Club members can buy plastic at a discount. Club members can special order plastic at our cost. There are benefits to club membership.

We do not have non-profit status.

The Parks Dept. has club contacts that they discuss things with. We maintain basket placements, trim trees, paint, etc. The city mows every 10 days during the summer. The city is VERY supportive of our club and course. I think they respond better to the club than they would with a bunch of yahoos who play DG.

DISConnected
Dec 21 2006, 06:49 PM
Things are completely different here. The Parks and Rec people are the yahoos. :eek: :D

Joe
Dec 21 2006, 11:21 PM
Hey, I resemble that remark! :eek:
It's not the parks dept., but the politicians!

DISConnected
Dec 22 2006, 10:59 AM
Sorry, I was referring to S.A. :o

Joe
Dec 22 2006, 05:31 PM
Whew!!

opereida
Dec 31 2006, 12:13 AM
OK, only 1 day left in the year and I propose that we have a meeting on Sunday Jan 14, 2007 before the Mini at Universal City to discuss this topic. We can limit it to 10-15 minutes and if we need more time all interested people can meet after the mini. This allows 2 weeks for us to get the word out to our Members that do not have access to the internet. I can also post signs at the local courses if needed. This meeting is also opened to all Future LODGA Members!!! Thanks....Bird :)

JHouston
Feb 04 2007, 07:17 PM
ADGA Elections everyone wanting a club should read this thread before bringing this up again. Big problems in A-town

opereida
Feb 04 2007, 11:45 PM
Your talking about ONE Club :confused: Now if this was a trend in numerous Clubs then yes please read the thread before thinking about this.

JHouston
Feb 05 2007, 06:49 PM
Yes one club that has been around for a while :confused:

suemac
Feb 05 2007, 07:22 PM
When any organization puts all the responsibility in one person's hands, that could happen. And unfortunately there wasn't enough involvement from the membership to know that a problem exsisted. It's not like that happened overnight.

Don't let that keep you guys from growing. That would be ashamed.

opereida
Apr 12 2007, 12:05 AM
This message board has the same people on it all the time. Not everyone has computers even though it is the year 2007. We need to inform other LODGA Members that don't have access to the discussion board about the issues going on here. Before we start a Dues Paying Club, maybe we should campaign and ask LODGA Members to vote Yes or No. We should do whatever the outcome is and go from there. I'll start making some voting forms and distribute them soon. Please pass the word around because I want everyones vote. Thanks!!! :)

DISConnected
Apr 12 2007, 11:43 AM
What needs are not being met right now?

What are the benefits of having a club?

Let's pretend I just moved here. Why should I want to join?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be antagonistic. It just seems to me before we vote, all this should be spelled out. What if political candidates said, "Vote for me!! I don't have a plan right now, but I'll make one if I win!!"

:D

wheresdave
Apr 12 2007, 12:01 PM
I vote for Brian Paschal he'll have a plan as soon as we elect him :o:D

losotd
Apr 12 2007, 03:09 PM
That's cuz all Brian's are smart :)

opereida
Apr 12 2007, 03:59 PM
What needs are not being met right now?

What are the benefits of having a club?

Let's pretend I just moved here. Why should I want to join?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be antagonistic. It just seems to me before we vote, all this should be spelled out. What if political candidates said, "Vote for me!! I don't have a plan right now, but I'll make one if I win!!"

:D

I am also working on a rough draft on membership benefits, how this can help fund LOSO, Get a free T-shirt, membership cards, newsletter etc;. Also what are the responsibilities/duties of the club officers. Maybe take $1.00 off of mini entry fees for LODGA Members? Different ideas that I have. I will type this up and leave space on it where other members can write their ideas or suggestions. I am sure if we hold a meeting before a Sunday meeting, we can come up with some guidlines before we vote. This is going to be lot's of work to get us moving in this direction and there is a possiblity it may not work but I still say let's give it a try. :cool:

opereida
Apr 15 2007, 02:01 AM
Just my ideas, any others are welcome so we can get this going before LOSO.

Live Oak Disc Golf Alliance (Membership Dues)

-$20.00 Annual Fees

-Items Members could receive with their dues (Member T-Shirt, Membership Card, LODGA Mini, LODGA Cap or Visor, LODGA Disc, LODGA Decal.

-Club Dues should be paid by April 1st of each year and any current member that renews by that date will get $5.00 off. If you renew after April 1st it will cost you $20.00.

-Maybe add $1.00 more for Non LODGA Members at our Mini's (Add this to our Club Fund).

-Non LODGA Members can only receive 50% of the Ace Pot money if it is hit by them. The rest will go to our Club Fund.

Club Positions/Officers

-President, Tournament Director, Treasurer, Memberships Manager, Secretary

-Need to create Club Position Duties/Job Descriptions

-Once a month Informal Club Meeting before the Sunday Mini.

-Need volunteers to fill these positions or if more than one, we will vote for that position.

-Club Officers will serve 1 Year Terms before re-election.

We need more ideas and info. Please help with your input. :cool:

opereida
Apr 17 2007, 11:17 PM
OK, it seems to me that there is no interest from the LODGA Members on this Message Board about this subject. :( I am trying to do better for this organization and wish I could have some support from my fellow LODGA Members. I know you all have read my post's but have not made any comment's about this subject. I just feel that I am not part of the club if I have no say so. Decisions are made by individuals not "the club". This will be my last attempt to get this ball rolling and if no one really want's this to happen then I am going to pursue something else. Again, PLEASE Let Us Hear Any Suggestions You Have About LODGA Being A Dues Paying Club.

DISConnected
Apr 17 2007, 11:57 PM
Easy, Bird!! I think people are just reluctant to commit because of time--something we are all too short of. Clubs require a lot of commitment.

On the positive side, I see a couple of needs that are not being met, as I mentioned earlier:

1. We could benefit ourselves by having an organized club that the various Park and Recreation departments can work with on new courses, maintenance, etc. By presenting a unified front, we can help them to help us.

2. Plastic - we could purchase plastic in bulk and take special orders from club members. Right now, we dont have this ability. Members could get discounts, and that becomes a selling point for joining.

I myself am a cake-eat kind of person. I usually try to figure out a way to get the most benefit for the least commitment. (Just ask my wife!:D)That's the key to getting people behind your idea--make it easy, and make it benefit them to join.

Start slow. If the benefits are worthwhile for the money, people will join, but only a fraction will be ready to take on the extra work. It is a thankless job. (And I already have one of those.) Figure out a way to minimize the time commitment, and more people may express interest.

More of my .02

opereida
Apr 18 2007, 12:14 AM
Finally someone has something to say. There is no unified front, that is what I am trying to start. This is going to be time consuming, there is no way around that. I know we would have people step up into those positions. It has been four months since my first post about this and where are we today? The same exact spot we were then. The time is now!!! We need ideas to get this going. :)

slow1der
Apr 18 2007, 02:13 AM
I think developing a unified front and having a more organized club would be a great benefit. I would suggest starting with two ideas.

First Contact Gordon from the Waterloo club in Austin. He will have great insight into what a long standing organized club takes, the troubles they have and probably ideas on what some solutions could be.

Second, look to non-disc golf clubs for other input. As an example, my father was a Co-Director as well as a Road Captain in a Harley Owners Group in Austin. Understanding the trials and tribulations that that organization experiences and the way they organize their officers would also be beneficial.

If we are going to get organized then lets plan it out from the beginning and have a well thought out and documented game plan. I believe organizations like the Harley Owners Group even go so far as to draft a Charter� this sounds like a great idea. My wife may not be happy with me committing more time without permission� but I believe we can create something that will greatly benefit our disc golf community and probably our local communities as well. I don�t know how much time I can spare right now� but I am in.

vinnie
Apr 18 2007, 10:53 AM
yah need to become a real card holding club. There are many advantages of become a club.
All groups in your area need to pull together and not apart.
I would be happy to help drive this....or we can just call yah a division of the Round Rock club and we can tell yah what to do

JHouston
Apr 18 2007, 10:43 PM
Bird you have a P.M.

opereida
Apr 18 2007, 10:56 PM
Bird you have a P.M.

No I don't :confused:

JHouston
Apr 19 2007, 05:54 PM
i wonder where it went

rtinsa
May 15 2007, 04:30 PM
http://a321.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/36/m_f05ee537d6c7ae78db21390c19134328.jpg