dmpdisc
Nov 22 2006, 04:29 PM
Hello my freinds,

Everything is set for installation of the disc golf course at
Yucaipa Regional Park this weekend November 25 and 26. I now the doubles tourney is going on at Lama, but this sport grows so fast you can't avoid conflicts anymore. If you're going to the doubs tourney you can still come out on Sunday. Hopefully we'll be pl;aying , but if the work's not done we'll be doing that.. So we'll be out there on Saturday and Sunday from10:00 to dark. We could use plenty of help. If you're coming please bring hoes, racks, shovels and wheel barrels.

On Sunday we'll need people with trucks that can help bring the baskets down from Wrightwood. You can get to Yucaipa Regional Park off the 10 freeway. Just go north on Oak Glen for many miles until you come to Yucaipa Regional Park.

Hope to see you,

Tom Bant

slo
Nov 26 2006, 02:51 PM
Yucaipa Regional Park
33900 Oak Glen Rd
Yucaipa, CA 92399-6907
[909]790-3127

....how did it go?

discette
Nov 27 2006, 10:30 AM
Special thanks to all the people and organizations that donated funds and to all the volunteers who showed up on both Saturday and Sunday to make the Yucaipa disc golf course a reality.

The new 18-hole course in Yucaipa Regional Park is now open for play. Maps should be finalized this week and the course information posted in the online course directory. The tee areas are still not complete and are subject to change before cement pads are permanently installed. Baskets 14 & 18 should be installed later this week. After all the pin placements were poured and installed on Sunday morning, an inaugural round of doubles was enjoyed by all.

This is a beautiful park. It is located at the base of the Crafton Hills. There are three stocked fishing lakes in the park. Lake two includes a swimming area with waterpark and beach. There are campgrounds including group and tent areas. There are hiking and biking trails in the Crafton Hills. There is plenty of room in this park for another 18 holes.

From 1-10 take Exit 85, Live Oak Canyon Road/Oak Glen Road to Oak Glen Road. Turn left onto Live Oak which will turn into Oak Glen. Travel approximately 3.5 miles to Yucaipa Regional Park on Left. Tee one is located across from the restrooms in area 4B. There is a vehicle entrance fee for the park. I believe it is $5.00 on weekdays and $7.00 on weekends. It is a "short" walk to tee 3 if you choose to park and walk into the park.

Weekend Volunteers:
Tom Bant
Chance Stevens
John Edmiston
Spencer Rogers
Spinner Rogers
Suzette Simons
William Delaney
Ted Manthey
Kevin Beath
Celeste Toth
Bill Maury Holmes
Samuel Holmes

billmh
Nov 27 2006, 03:50 PM
I second Suzette. As one of the locals I am most grateful for the longstanding efforts of Tom and Chance to see this come to fruition, and all those who pitched in and did their share.

To all: come and play, let the folks at the front gate know you're here to play disc golf, be positive participants and we'll see this course take hold as one of SoCal's destination courses.

Because not only is this a fine end in itself, but Yucaipa Regional has lots more underutilized acreage... :cool:

quickdisc
Nov 27 2006, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the directions Suzette.

From 1-10 take Exit 85, Live Oak Canyon Road/Oak Glen Road to Oak Glen Road. Turn left onto Live Oak which will turn into Oak Glen. Travel approximately 3.5 miles to Yucaipa Regional Park on Left. Tee one is located across from the restrooms in area 4B. There is a vehicle entrance fee for the park. I believe it is $5.00 on weekdays and $7.00 on weekends. It is a "short" walk to tee 3 if you choose to park and walk into the park.

Almost the same parking as Mason Park was in Irvine.

rizbee
Nov 28 2006, 01:51 PM
I'm hoping that Saturday can shape up this way: rise early and hit the road for Yucaipa to play the new course, then return home via I-5 and make a stop at DtW for the holiday open house!!!

Oh, and take a lot of pictures to post on the snow-infested DG location threads! :D

quickdisc
Nov 28 2006, 02:57 PM
I'm hoping that Saturday can shape up this way: rise early and hit the road for Yucaipa to play the new course, then return home via I-5 and make a stop at DtW for the holiday open house!!!

Oh, and take a lot of pictures to post on the snow-infested DG location threads! :D

Sweet. Let me know how the course plays !!!!! :D

discette
Nov 28 2006, 03:11 PM
All 18 baskets are now in the ground.

It is a short walk to Tee 2 from the front gate, not Tee 3 as stated above.

slo
Nov 29 2006, 02:03 AM
....never mind the distance needed, the pertinent point is, where is the cheapskate parking; that's what my rides need to know.

There is a course map in Tom's last e-mail, so one's available.

discette
Nov 29 2006, 09:48 AM
Here is some more information on entrance to Yucaipa Regional Park.

Vehicle Fees
Mon-Fri $5.00.
Weekends $7.00
Holidays $10.00.

It also costs $2.00 to simply walk into the park, so you will have to pay something to play this course. There is a very small parking area just before the entrance. An annual vehicle pass is $125.00 and a Senior vehicle pass is $65.00. You can get an annual walking pass for $25.00. There is also a $1.00 fee to bring a pet into the park.

There are additional fees for fishing, camping and use of the waterpark. There are also boat rentals from Memorial Day to Labor Day. While there seems to be a lot of fees to use this park, it is very, very well maintained and beautiful. This park is very popular, even with all the fees.

I have some photos of the course, but still have not found a place to host them online just yet. I also have maps of the course and park. For now, you will have to give me your email address if you would like to get any of these.

rhett
Nov 29 2006, 03:18 PM
I have some photos of the course, but still have not found a place to host them online just yet.

Might I suggest socaldiscgolf.org? :)

discette
Nov 29 2006, 03:53 PM
This is in process right now, but Mike has other business to attend to first.

rizbee
Nov 29 2006, 05:00 PM
Rizbee's Photos (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rizbee/)

Click on the link above, then choose Yucaipa DGC on the flickr page that opens. :D

billmh
Nov 29 2006, 07:06 PM
Just got back from playing Yucaipa. All by my lonesome, a state of that course that I doubt will be true much in the future. Sadly, noone thusly witnessed my string of four consecutive aces...that I didn't throw /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Lots of different shots are useful, and there certainly is an overall premium on accuracy over/against raw distance. Trees abound on many holes, though there are fair tunnels and alleys. The longer holes are more open, and big arm types should be able to play a good bit under par. Many of the holes involve more beautiful aspects of the park, near the water (I went in on the short downhill 5), in trees that are changing color, long views of the valley and the mountains, etc. Holes 5 and 6, and 13-16 are just treats aesthetically. Not only a diverse course design, but actually pretty, something us SoCal people don't see that often.

Wind came up in my second round and became kind of silly, as there's nothing but the trees to block the Santa Anas up here when they come over the mountains. Will be rough when the mountain winds are high, which isn't too often but does happen.

Only hole I couldn't figure out was 17. If I was playing it from the correct tee location it was a bruiser. You'd have to throw 400' minimum to get it anywhere near a good spot for two, and there's a very narrow landing going up the hill for anything shorter. I got lucky and landed on the trail pretty far out, threw a pretty good upshot and missed a 30 footer, taking a four. I'm curious as to how a top player would play it.

The one thing that the Inland Empire has that nobody else does in Southern California is land. Until recently that hadn't meant we had courses. Reese's Riverside course is a high-end welcome addition, but a course that's really only for advanced players. The Palm Desert crew has 9 holes in a soccer park already, and the city has committed to 18 in a new regional park; they've done a great job. Now to get a truly quality course at Yucaipa Regional as our next step is sweet. Thanks again to Tom, Chance and all the others who have made it happen.

Come and play! Several of us will be out on Saturday afternoon, and the tribe is welcome.

Bill Maury-Holmes

discette
Nov 30 2006, 06:23 PM
This Sunday will be the first Monthly at the new Yucaipa Disc Golf Course. As Yucaipa is borrowing 18 baskets from Wrightwood, it seems only natural they would borrow the same First Sunday monthly date.

Registration starts at 9:00am and play should begin by 10:00. Thanks to Chance Stevens for making this possible.

You can view the photos of the first round of golf at the new course at: Yucaipapics (http://www.socaldiscgolf.org/sub-pages/photos/course/yucaipa/yucaipa.htm) There is a link to the course map at the bottom of the phtotos.

Enjoy!!

rizbee
Dec 03 2006, 04:21 AM
Rizbee Jr. and I had a great time playing Yucaipa today. It's a good layout (may need tweaking on a few holes), pretty technical, lots of low tunnel shots. The setting is a beautiful park, camping available in the same park, even a "snack buggy" tooling around throughout the day. We were on of five groups we saw playing at the same time early afternoon.

Play this course!! Let the gate staff know that you are there to play disc golf and encourage them to make this course permanent!

I took a few pics (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rizbee/sets/72157594397982482/detail/) and will post them soon.

slo
Dec 03 2006, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the Chance Happening, then....perhaps Mr. Stevens can be goaded into hosting a SoCal event there in 2007, hmmmmmmmm?!?

...I think Chance is the one kneeling in pic#1, and driving pic #11. I don't recognize anyone else, but those would likely be his Asst. TDs. ;)

quickdisc
Dec 05 2006, 04:39 PM
Nice !!!! I may do a road trip soon !!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rizbee/sets/72157594397982482/detail/

billmh
Dec 13 2006, 07:26 PM
Today we had what I believe was the first ace at Yucaipa Regional's new course. No man law here! :cool: Julia Snelson, who dominated the Women's Division at the Redlands Fall Fling in October, threw a perfect forehand downhill on #5, chains/pole/applause. Her first ace ever, made all the sweeter as there was a reporter and photographer for the San Bernardino Sun newspaper out for the round while working on an article about disc golf in the Inland Empire. Accomplished with a 180g DX Roc.

Was another glorious fall day at Yucaipa Regional. I'm guessing there will be a favorable newspaper article in the next few days, and that Julia's ace will get some nice press.

Dec 13 2006, 08:16 PM
oh sweet!