denny1210
Nov 20 2006, 11:48 PM
The numbers are in for the '06 Players Cup. (Big thanks to Brian Kilgore for once again entering all the rounds hole by hole to give all us number junkies our fix!)

Check them out here (http://www.etherbinge.com/pcsa.htm)

The data set included 222 rounds and the average of the player ratings used was 1000.

I'm very happy with how most of the data looks. In particular the overall breakdown for the course with 19.5% birdies, 58% pars, 17.5% bogeys, and 5.0% doubles or worse. That's very close to how the ball golf majors break down.

Of course there are a couple opportunities to further tweak again for next year, although those changes will be minor compared to this year.

Just wondering what y'all think about them there numbers.

Peace.

ck34
Nov 21 2006, 12:28 AM
Holes 2, 9 & 15 with the par percentages above 70% might need a little tweaking besides 1, 5, 14 & 17 that you highlighted. Maybe two of these four could be toughened a few tenths to make par 5s and two made easier to make tough 4s boosting the course par to 66 (matching the SSA). Holes 12 & 16 look to be fine. A 3.7 hole provides good scoring spread on an open hole.

denny1210
Nov 21 2006, 01:50 AM
agree with those additions.

hole 1 probably won't be back as they finish the golf course changes. (we've got another hole out on the course in mind to take it's place)

hole 14 scored a lot "better" last year. the tough headwind that the top players faced on it was atypical and and resulted in a data set that i don't believe really represents the way the hole normally plays.

my_hero
Nov 21 2006, 09:39 AM
I loved hole 1 this year. What a great opening hole. Sad to hear that it might not be the same next year. I'm sure you'll make up for it if it can't be used in 2007.

As far the number breakdown, how about these...... i had 4 birdies, 6 bogeys, 2 double bogeys, and 42 pars! :D

sandalman
Nov 21 2006, 09:40 AM
no eagles in the entire event?

my_hero
Nov 21 2006, 09:43 AM
Not for me. I think i should get the most consistent award, unless someone else had more than 42 pars....which is entirely possible.

ck34
Nov 21 2006, 09:43 AM
I think a 3 on those four holes with averages near 4.5 probably felt like eagles and would have been if the par were set at 5 instead of 4.

my_hero
Nov 21 2006, 09:49 AM
I think a 3 on those four holes with averages near 4.5 probably felt like eagles and would have been if the par were set at 5 instead of 4.

Funny you mention holes 1, 5, 14 & 17. They included both of my double bogs, and 5 of 6 of my single bogs.

Hole 1 = 6, 4, 4
Hole 5 = 4, 6, 5
Hole 14 = 4, 5, 5
Hole 17 = 4, 5, 5

denny1210
Nov 21 2006, 12:10 PM
There were a couple holes that played as "tweaners". There may be slight mods made to some of them to bring them into stear the average out of the .4->.6 range.

I also agree with Chuck's comment that the % of pars should be something less than 70% on any single hole.

Overall, even though some holes are "tweaners" and the pars could be considered to be "wrong", the important thing to look at is the overall distribution of scores. In this case, I think they were right on.

Historically, the US Open in ball golf has used par 72 layouts and renamed two of the member par 5's as par 4's. This philosophy was very evident at this year's event at Winged Foot. Holes 1,2,4,8,9, and 14 were all par 4's that averaged 4.4-4.5

My point is that for major championships the field shouldn't average under par, and if that means that a few of the distributions are skewed into the "tweaner" zone, then it's not necessarily a bad thing, as long as there is still adequate spread as evidenced by the % of pars being less than 70%. This also assumes that the scores are spread "fairly".

Schoenhopper
Nov 29 2006, 12:02 AM
Great job! I heard nothing but great things about the course.

Hole 3 also looks like it has close to an "ideal" scoring spread.

If the course is fairly open (I've never seen it, but am imagining a ball golf course), the use of OB must be remarkable to produce these figures.

I've always loved playing golf holes that produce at least 3 scores regularly.

Schoenhopper
Nov 29 2006, 12:33 AM
Viewed some video on disc golf tv. Definitely some tree trouble out there!

Beautiful! Is the course open just around tourney time?

denny1210
Nov 29 2006, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, Mike and Discraft both wanted to find a resort setting for to host the major championship that would allow the course to be played in the tournament set-up year-round. The only two differences between a casual round and a Players Cup round are that the OB is marked above the water line on the ponds for the PC and you get to use a golf cart for casual rounds.

Mike spent a lot of time pitching about 6 other properties before getting the green light at the Plantation Inn. I think we're extremely fortunate to have a golf resort fully embrace disc golf and get excited about the Cup! They have been great to work with and can see the future of the sport.

On our end, the two things that I think are most important for taking next year's event to a higher level are the detailed caddy book that players have come (rightly so) to expect at a Major and promoting the event agressively to get a strong local (non disc golfing) presence in the gallery. I'd like to see the gallery for the final round be triple what it was this year.

Schoenhopper
Dec 05 2006, 10:47 PM
Looks like I'm coming to Crystal River! Sometime from the 27th to the 29th of this month.

What else is going on at the Plantation? Where do I get some more info?

On the (disc) golf, I'd like to play the same set up as they used in the Players Cup. Would that be from the blue tees?

Thanks. Can't wait to see Florida!