USDGC
1st Barry Schultz
2nd Brian Schweberger
3rd Steve Brinster

The Players Cup
1st Avery Jenkins
2nd Greg Barsby
2nd Eric Mccabe

Interestingly, no one won more than one major and only Avery Jenkins finished in the top three spots, 4 out of 5 events, and he nearly finished in third at the USDGC.

Way to go Avery!

A very good year in general for disc golf in my opinion!

disctance00
Nov 20 2006, 11:42 PM
<MARQUEE bgcolor="#0099ff" loop="-1" scrollamount="10" width="30%"> <font color="red">AVERY JENKINS </font> <font color="blue">FOR PDGA </font> PLAYER OF THE YEAR!!!!
</MARQUEE>

Gregg
Nov 21 2006, 06:13 AM
He has my vote for sure...

seewhere
Nov 21 2006, 09:05 AM
ditto on avery being player of the year he has been kicking some serious azzzz this year.

MTL21676
Nov 21 2006, 09:24 AM
You forgot World Doubles (Reading and Olse) as well as the US Masters (Hammock).

Am Majors were Am world doubles, Am worlds, Mid nationals and US Ams.

Disc golf has WAAAY to many events we call a major (in my opinion)

ck34
Nov 21 2006, 09:33 AM
And some include the Mixed Doubles at Am & Pro Worlds as majors. We've talked about replacing the term "major" with "championship" for all of those events and let the term "major" indicate perhaps four or five worldwide pro events that would be part of the disc golf grand slam like ball golf or tennis.

MTL21676
Nov 21 2006, 09:35 AM
Majors should be:

Worlds
USDGC
Plasyers Cup
Europeon / Japan Open (maybe rotating between the two or something)

And that's it!

Sharky
Nov 21 2006, 09:42 AM
You ever been to Marshall Street?

ck34
Nov 21 2006, 09:47 AM
I think having a decent turnout of international players in the field is one indicator of true major status which would make Worlds, USDGC, European Open and Japan Open our current four.

MTL21676
Nov 21 2006, 10:44 AM
You ever been to Marshall Street?

nope, I want to sometime.

MTL21676
Nov 21 2006, 10:45 AM
I think having a decent turnout of international players in the field is one indicator of true major status which would make Worlds, USDGC, European Open and Japan Open our current four.

I understand that reasoning. I was inlcuding Players Cup in my list based on payout.

the_beastmaster
Nov 21 2006, 11:14 AM

I understand that reasoning. I was inlcuding Players Cup in my list based on payout.

I think the Player's Cup will get there though. They have a killer course and a killer payout, and they're only in their 2nd year. Give them 5 years and I think they'll have the draw.

Jroc
Nov 21 2006, 11:34 AM
I have thought about the exact same thing at times this year. I agree that the 4 listed should be the only Major events. And, just like in ball golf, The Players Cup (Championship) is kind of considered that invisible 5th major. On the Am side, Worlds should be the only major (maybe the USADGC as well)

This year has been a great year for disc golf!! When I started playing (almost 4 yrs ago) the Pro scene was dominated by Barry and Kenny mostly. Not any more. More and more of the top rated players dont have to have 'career' days to beat everyone. The gap between those 2 and everyone else is smaller than ever. Next year should be very fun to watch :D

Gregg
Nov 22 2006, 07:04 AM
:eek:

Gregg
Nov 22 2006, 07:05 AM
I don't know about dominated...Steve Rico has always been up there in the ranks, always.

Jroc
Nov 23 2006, 01:33 AM
When I started playing (almost 4 yrs ago) the Pro scene was dominated by Barry and Kenny mostly.

hence the word mostly.....

hehe......yes, they were not the ONLY 2 that could throw a disc.....but, they were more consistantly at the top of most every event they entered. Love the local pride though....sticking up for your guy :D