ching_lizard
Nov 11 2006, 07:27 PM
Announcing a Saturday morning "Commando Mini" at Oak Meadow Park.

Sign-up from 9:00 - 9:30am Saturday mornings by the pavillion.

This $10 weekly tournament will feature an 80% payout - $8 to payout/$1 Oak Meadow Improvement fund/$1 Texas States.

Pro divisions play from the Blue tees, all others will play from the concrete slabs. Lakes are OB, but ditches are casual. No 2 meter rule in effect. I will host any division you want...including 1 person divisions if you are willing to make a donation of $2 to the twin funds...

If anyone has any extra stuff that they'd like to donate in the form of sponsorship, I'd welcome your donation!

Congrats to Matchu Rogers who blistered up the course in the wind shooting a +5 for a 59. Neal Dambra and Jim Garnett battled it out for Pro honors with Nealius taking the honors in the end 62 to 63. Next came me at 65, Thomas Burks at 67 and David Chriss at 68.

travisgreenway
Nov 14 2006, 09:03 AM
Where (as exactaly as you can) is Oak Meadow located? Thanks in advance for the directions. :cool::D
I'm in Kingwood and will be comming over with as many as I can (1-8) when they can come. When will the Mini's Start date wise?

ching_lizard
Nov 14 2006, 09:33 AM
T-Dogg: The mini started last Saturday and will continue through the end of December.

From Kingwood, I'd suggest that you take the toll road over to 290 and exit toward Austin. From there, drive out 290 past Hwy 6, past Telge Rd and start watching for the Spring-Cypress Rd exit and get off there. On the feeder road, go to the 2nd traffic light and turn left onto Fry Rd and go under 290. As soon as you cross the RR tracks, you will see the Blackhorse Ranch subdivision. Go past all of the Blackhorse Ranch stuff and take the first right after Blackhorse. There is a HUGE sign that says Bridgeland. Follow that road back almost 2 miles and turn right onto House-Hahl Road. As soon as you turn right there, make a left into Oak Meadow Park. Look for the little pavillion right there by the lake. Look for me hanging around there taking registrations from 9 to 9:30am.

travisgreenway
Nov 14 2006, 12:13 PM
Thanks ching we will see ya there if we can make it...not this SAT....Santa is parachuting in to Moody Gardens and turning on the Lights....Ya know I gotta see this ;)My sister's little ones re comming in. But the next Sat we are there :D

ching_lizard
Nov 15 2006, 08:38 AM
The weather forecast is looking great for Saturday morning.

High 76 Low 52 and 10% chance of precipitation.

Hope to see folks out there at 9:00.

ching_lizard
Nov 20 2006, 01:55 AM
What a wonderful morning of disc golf!

The weather started out a tad on the cool side, but by the time we reached the 3rd tee box, everyone had warmed up just fine! Nice breeze kept things interesting all round long...even in the woods you could often feel the wind blowing. Pretty cool stuff!

We ran 3 divisions this week:
Pro -
Ruben Hernandez - $24
Hud
Burks

Masters -
Danny Berry (tied at +11) $8
Larry Kruse (tied at +11) $8

Rec -
Mitchell - $16
Jon

Totals to date:

Oak Meadow: $13
Texas States: $13
Ace Pot: $12

Many thanks for everyone's continued support. I was surprised that we had as many as we did show up this weekend with many being out in Wimberley for Teams, but we increased players to 7 this week.

If everyone shows next weekend that has shown up the last two weeks plus the Kingwood crew coming with T-Dogg, then we're probably going to jump up to double in size.

We may have a few complete beginner players in the coming weeks. Both weekends I've been questioned by passers by asking about where to buy discs, and where they could start playing out there to start learning the game. (I point them to Rick's Darts N Games and Academy for discs and to Saturday mornings for the mini! :D)

ching_lizard
Nov 21 2006, 09:05 AM
Who all is coming out on Saturday this week?

T-Dogg: Are you and your crew "in" for this week?

ching_lizard
Nov 24 2006, 06:34 PM
<font color="blue">Oak Meadow</font>
Commando Mini !!!
<font color="red"> Saturday mornings - 9am </font>

Cost: <font color="green">$10</font>
Optional: <font color="green">$1 </font>-Ace pot (carries over)
Optional: <font color="green">$1</font>-Mulligan

Proceeds will be split between Oak Meadow Improvement fund and Texas States.

All Ams will play from the concrete White tees, Pros will play from the Blue tees.

Come out and play on the best course in Houston! This is the only event currently running in town right now!!! I'm taking sign-ups between 9:00 and 9:30 in the parking lot by the pavillion.

ching_lizard
Nov 26 2006, 10:32 PM
Many thanks go out to all of you folks that are supporting this mini! We had another 7 players eager to play this mini this week...there were already 5 cars in the parking lot when I got there at 8:30!!!

Robbie Hendricks took top honors this week by blistering the course with an impressive 53! He birdied 3 of the last 4 holes! Great shooting Robbie!

Robbie also deserves special recoginition for his extra contribution to the Texas States sponsorship fund! Thanks Robbie! :D:D:D

Here's where is stands:
<table border="1"><tr><td> Number of weeks:</td><td></td><td>3
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>Oak Meadow Fund:</td><td></td><td>$20
</td></tr><tr><td>Texas States Fund:</td><td></td><td>$35
</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>Current Ace Pot:</td><td></td><td>$19
</td></tr><tr><td> </tr></td></table>

ching_lizard
Nov 30 2006, 11:15 PM
The Commando Mini is still on this Saturday.

A few changes are going to be necessary in order to keep it going however...and we're really going to have be "Commando-like" to keep it going. I will explain to the players at sign-up time.

Please be prepared for cold playing conditions this weekend...it's looking like it's going to be a very chilly morning 42 at 9am and up to 56 by noon! :DBut on the plus side...the weather forecast does say that it should be mostly sunny! :D

See ya there!

the_kid
Nov 30 2006, 11:26 PM
Isn't conroe this weekend? :confused:

ching_lizard
Dec 01 2006, 12:50 AM
Yes it is...but I can't play Conroe because I have to go somewhere on Saturday afternoon.

For those that aren't playing in Conroe though...the mini is still "on". Are you playing Conroe Matt?

travisgreenway
Dec 01 2006, 11:17 AM
anyone got facts on conroe...thanks in advance
:D

the_kid
Dec 01 2006, 08:22 PM
Yes it is...but I can't play Conroe because I have to go somewhere on Saturday afternoon.

For those that aren't playing in Conroe though...the mini is still "on". Are you playing Conroe Matt?

I have to take the SAT.

ching_lizard
Dec 01 2006, 10:19 PM
Ahhhh...I see!

Good luck on the test Matt...you're a smart kid, you should do very well on it! Tomorrow morning might be a good time to drink a ton of coffee! :D

Get some sleep and be well. (Let me know how you did too!)

ching_lizard
Dec 01 2006, 10:31 PM
T-Dogg - check out the HFDS website or the tournament area if you want specifics on the Conroe event. Sounds like it is gonna be a pretty big one.

I hit the Ace Pot up there last year...$330! Sweet!

If you aren't playing up there tomorrow, then show up at the Commando Mini.

wheresdave
Dec 06 2006, 09:50 AM
Gonzales Texas New Year Day singles AM $7 PRO $10, for dubs AM $14 per
team and $20 per team for the PROs that keeps it under $20 for the day. Sign ups at 10:30 start shortly after.

ching_lizard
Dec 08 2006, 01:17 AM
The Commando Mini will be running this Saturday, but don't look for me this week, look for Lyle instead. Registration from 9:00-9:30am.

Have fun and see everyone next week.

ching_lizard
Dec 08 2006, 10:10 AM
bump it...

travisgreenway
Dec 08 2006, 12:38 PM
Is the mini on for 12-9-06?

ching_lizard
Dec 08 2006, 01:54 PM
Yessir T-Dogg! Look for Lyle instead of me this week though because I'm heading up to the Snow Farm for the 'Dango.

wheresdave
Dec 08 2006, 03:33 PM
cool site to watch well you wait

http://www.vsomedia.com/chains.html

ching_lizard
Dec 12 2006, 07:16 PM
Many thanks go out to Lyle for handling the Commando Mini for me last week!

As I understand it, we had another 7 players out for it on Saturday and that should put our Texas States contribution in the $100 range now! Wow!

I will see everyone out there this weekend for sure!

travisgreenway
Dec 14 2006, 10:21 AM
yeah I got whooped pretty bad by two of the local pros they gave me 3 strokes HAHAHAHA and still beat me by 10. It was really funny to watch I'm sure....those guys were prolly like this guy said he was advanced :D I played more like rec....or at least putted like it. See ya Sat if it is still on :D

the_kid
Dec 14 2006, 10:25 AM
yeah I got whooped pretty bad by two of the local pros they gave me 3 strokes HAHAHAHA and still beat me by 10. It was really funny to watch I'm sure....those guys were prolly like this guy said he was advanced :D I played more like rec....or at least putted like it. See ya Sat if it is still on :D

WoW there were two local Pros there? That is a suprise as there are only like 3 in town(and one never plays). :DLet me guess Neal and Alex.

Does Livingston Qualify as local? :D

travisgreenway
Dec 14 2006, 10:48 AM
Jim and Robbie were their names :D

the_kid
Dec 14 2006, 01:02 PM
Hendrick? I hope that was Jim Hudson because Davindson never plays. :D

ching_lizard
Dec 14 2006, 01:48 PM
Yeah T-Dogg - we're still on for the Commando Mini this Saturday. Sounds like we might be having a few more than usual show up this weekend...

See ya out there between 9 and 9:30!

ching_lizard
Dec 16 2006, 09:20 PM
Cool to get to meet you at last T-Dogg! Thanks to all 13 players that came out to play a little competitive disc golf and to support Texas States!

Ace Pot: $40
Texas States: $117

<table border="1"><tr><td> Division</td><td>Name:</td><td>Score</td><td>Place
</td></tr><tr><td>adv</td><td>Christian G.</td><td>60</td><td>1
</td></tr><tr><td>adv</td><td>Matt fm TN</td><td>61</td><td>2
</td></tr><tr><td>adv</td><td>Captn Am.</td><td>62</td><td>T3
</td></tr><tr><td>adv</td><td>Heath Falzarano</td><td>62</td><td>T3
</td></tr><tr><td>adv</td><td>Roland Reyna</td><td>62</td><td>T3
</td></tr><tr><td>adv</td><td>Danny Berry</td><td>62</td><td>T3
</td></tr><tr><td>adv</td><td>Jerry Markus</td><td>64</td><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>adv</td><td>T-Dogg Greenway</td><td>66</td><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>adv</td><td>Matchu</td><td>67</td><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>adv</td><td>Lance Steck</td><td>67</td><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>master</td><td>Conrad Joe</td><td>60</td><td>1
</td></tr><tr><td>master</td><td>Ed Morgan</td><td>61</td><td>2
</td></tr><tr><td>master</td><td>Larry Kruse</td><td>68</td><td>
</td></tr><tr><td> </tr></td></table>

travisgreenway
Dec 21 2006, 12:48 AM
Guys I had a great time as usual...you didn't have to post the 66 j/k...and that was from the pads...me and Adrienne will be in Tulsa for the holidaze visiting her folks and playing where I learned the game so mabye I will come back with some game....find my center and all that jazz...Well have a great hoilday and I'll see yall soon....peace T-Dogg :D

atxdiscgolfer
Dec 21 2006, 01:43 AM
will there be a mini on saturday?

ching_lizard
Dec 21 2006, 02:58 AM
Yessir...:D

(That is if I get all of my shopping and wrapping done...but it's looking pretty good so far!)

T-Dogg - It's always really cool to meet another message board poster! I advise you go play Black Hawk - it'll help get you prepared for your next round at OM! :D I'm really glad you came out and for your support for Texas States!

the_kid
Dec 21 2006, 05:05 PM
Yessir...:D

(That is if I get all of my shopping and wrapping done...but it's looking pretty good so far!)

T-Dogg - It's always really cool to meet another message board poster! I advise you go play Black Hawk - it'll help get you prepared for your next round at OM! :D I'm really glad you came out and for your support for Texas States!

Blackhawk and Oak Meadow don't even compare. I would trade a few Houston courses to get the BLACKHAWK and maybe even more to get <font color="red"> RedHawk</font>

suemac
Dec 21 2006, 05:14 PM
There's only a couple of standout holes on the Red course, but both Red/Black are a disc golfers dream.

What's even better.............Tulsa has all those other great courses too.!

the_kid
Dec 21 2006, 05:20 PM
Yeah but we only have three courses in town that are better than the Red. The Wilmont, Powell, and Spring Valley. The whole thing about never having to throw an anhyzer at Oak Meadows still kinda bugs me.

the_kid
Dec 21 2006, 05:22 PM
Oak Meadows is most likely better then the red but for me Oak meadows seems boring even though there are good holes. I have had less than 3-4 bogeys(4s) on that course almost everytime I have played it and usually only get a few birds so pretty much everything ends up being a three.

suemac
Dec 21 2006, 05:35 PM
Too bad there aren't any holes like those that wind around that creek after you cross back over the street. Can't recall which hole that was.

Are you Cali bound yet?

the_kid
Dec 21 2006, 05:39 PM
Too bad there aren't any holes like those that wind around that creek after you cross back over the street. Can't recall which hole that was.

Are you Cali bound yet?

I think those started on hole 13 or so. I loved the first long hole with the road on the left as it is an awesome risk reward hole for the big arms who want to go over the road.

I am Cali bound tomorrow and I have to wake up at 4:30 and get there for my 7:30 flight. :D

suemac
Dec 21 2006, 05:49 PM
Tell Ms. Megan a BIG Texas Hello from me!

Look forward to seeing her in Victoria in February. Better weather guaranteed! LOL :D

the_kid
Dec 21 2006, 05:59 PM
I don't know if she is playing Victoria this year but she and her mom are coming to TWC.

suemac
Dec 21 2006, 06:04 PM
Whichever event, as long as she keeps coming back! ;)

Merry Christmas!

Lyle O Ross
Dec 21 2006, 07:48 PM
Hendrick? I hope that was Jim Hudson because Davindson never plays. :D

It was Davidson...

ching_lizard
Dec 22 2006, 10:01 AM
Weather forecast for the Commando Mini is looking pretty good:

Temp: mid-50's at 9am up to 60 by noon.
Rain: 10%
Wind: 10mph at 9am up to 15 mph by noon.

Rain is predicted for later in the afternoon.

ching_lizard
Dec 23 2006, 03:32 AM
Hope to see all of the "usual suspects" out there in the morning...better bundle up though.

ching_lizard
Dec 29 2006, 12:29 PM
Effective immediately:

The Commando Mini is shutdown!!!

** This is pending negotiations with Bridgeland to organize something. Stay tuned for further details.

Be advised that I will still be out at Oak Meadow on Saturday mornings however, so hopefully we can still get together and play some competitive disc golf!

atxdiscgolfer
Dec 30 2006, 01:39 PM
why-that sucks-at least I got to play 1 mini there. :confused:

ching_lizard
Dec 30 2006, 05:27 PM
Yeah it does Joe, but hopefully something can be worked out with Bridgeland to allow something to replace it...or to allow it to be resumed.

I want to make sure that I get "the word" out especially to any out-of-town disc golfers that the Commando Mini is shutdown until further notice. I'd hate to see any out of towners show up expecting a mini...

I'll post up any further details when I get some! :D

travisgreenway
Jan 06 2007, 12:46 PM
Whats up with no mini?????? Does someone at Bridgeland need a whippin' (thats how we handle it in TULSA LOL :D) How can anyone tell us that we cant get together WHERE EVER we want and play disc golf reguardless the size of the group and how does anyone know if we are playing for money or not....I say the name is COMMANDO and ARNOLD would not have given up on the mini......Go to the course..do it now, the mini is here :eek:
http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/Movies/Commando.jpg

ching_lizard
Jan 08 2007, 12:05 PM
T-Dogg and everyone:

A formal proposal has been submitted to Bridgeland's Don Smith. Let's wait until I get a response back before deciding where to go next...

It was very difficult to formulate a proposal without having an idea about what Bridgeland's goals for the course are. It sure seems like a no-brainer to give permission to run a mini out there given that doing so will bring more "outsiders" to their facility where they might decide they want to buy a home and it doesn't cost Bridgeland a single cent more to allow it. Only up-side benefits are possible without any cost to them...seems like a no-brainer to me.

My guess is that they have a misperception that someone is making money off from the use of their property. Which isn't true of course, and as we all know, there isn't a whole lot of money associated with the sport yet.

I want to wait until I receive a response from them before deciding where to go next.

I'm still out there at 9:00am every Saturday though and I'd still like to assign cards and track scores for everyone until this all gets straightened out.

atxdiscgolfer
Jan 09 2007, 01:18 PM
your probably right-sounds like a typical homebuilder to me;they hate to see anyone else in the community make any money.Its always been a pain to do business with them because I have to hound them to get my commission.

ching_lizard
Jan 09 2007, 03:45 PM
In that case, I'm lucky that I haven't had to deal with one previously then Joe!

My formal proposal went out to Bridgeland yesterday. I guess that I probably shouldn't be holding my breath while waiting on a response from them, eh? :D

atxdiscgolfer
Jan 09 2007, 04:56 PM
good luck-I have tried to advertise in every HOA newsletter around west Austin as well as the rest of my office,none of us ever got a response and the HOA's would have profited from that in advertising dollars which would have been a write off for me.

ching_lizard
Jan 26 2007, 04:12 PM
Got a note this week from Mr. Don Smith of Bridgeland.

He said that my proposal was received and briefly discussed last week, but that the HOA is in the process of assembling facility use documentation. No decision was reached. He expects to have further word for me after their next meeting on February 13th.

Sheesh! Talk about slow-moving! It didn't take them this long to start lodging complaints about me running a 7-person mini out there! Ha-ha!

Oh well...there are enough local tournaments around to keep me busy most Saturdays anyway.

I'll post further updates when I get some. ...I'm sure everyone is holding their breath waiting on something to happen. :D