alexkeil
Oct 28 2006, 11:24 AM
I'm stubbornly trying the fork grip a la Climo. I've been trying it now for a year, and I love the control but am trying to increase my snap with it. I didn't even realize snap was a problem until I was tooling around in a field one day and tried the Bonopane grip. Its ugly and awkward, but those discs just started ripping out of my hands so fast (relatively, that is) and so perfectly nose down without trying that I was about ready to switch grips right there (I've tried a lot of other grips, too, and the bonopane seems to be the most rip-inducing). I can't see myself throwing midranges like that, however, and I'm really trying to have 1 grip for my game (a la Climo, again). Does anybody have any tips for getting a little more crushing power out of a fork grip. I thought for a while that I might just have a weak index finger, and my success with the bonopane grip has supported this theory, but I'm wondering if any of you other forkers out there have experienced any similar loss of power.

billr
Oct 28 2006, 11:16 PM
Don't know if this will help but.... I throw with a stacked grip mosltly. Try bringing your thumb closer back towards your pinky. I noticed that my thumb with the stack grip was in front of my index finger...pressing down where the rim and flight plate meet. It also helped my aim or direction of release. For me it's just behind my index finger. The bonopane kind of gives you that same affect by moving your thumb pressure further back in your grip. Just my thoughts....Good luck

Birdie
Oct 29 2006, 01:05 AM
Could someone provide some desriptions for these grips (fork,climo,bonopane), please?

discette
Oct 29 2006, 09:12 AM
You can see grips here.

Link to grip photos (http://www.innovadiscs.com/tips/davesgripsmain.html#specialty)

Plankeye
Oct 29 2006, 09:23 AM
bonapane is shown under special grips

ck34
Oct 29 2006, 09:45 AM
I disagree with the comment about not generating power with the Bonopane. I use it when I want to throw farther than my normal grip which is closest to the three finger power/accuracy grip. So, it may not be as powerful as the full blown power grip but I've found that it helps beginners throw farther right away because it forces the nose of the disc down.

It's also not necessary to jam your thumb under your curled forefinger which I agree can be more uncomfortable. I just lay my curled forefinger on the top of the disc with my thumb laying beside it. I also find that having the thumb on top of the curled forefinger also works. I'm not sure how you place your thumb and forefinger makes much difference although stacking your thumb on or below you forefinger adds more pressure on the grip which may help generate more power.

Regardless, if you have a beginner who's having trouble getting the nose down and can't shake the typical nose up, sky stall drives, have them try a version of the bonopane and they'll usually throw farther right away. Even if they don't feel comfortable staying with the Bonopane, they'll learn faster what it feels like to get the nose down on good drives.

ck34
Oct 29 2006, 09:52 AM
One other thing, I find using the Bonopane is helpful when I'm getting tired. It's not uncommon playing longer courses with more power driving that I'll get more tired as the afternoon round progresses. Using the Bonopane helps me keep the nose down and not fluff drives with my regular grip.

davei
Oct 29 2006, 10:09 AM
Two advantages to the Bonopane are: 1. as Chuck said, nose down help, and 2. a relatively easy,energy efficient, quick rip. Three potential disadvantages are loss of power on heavy discs, poorer feel of the orientation of the disc, and poorer feel of the distance touch. It's mainly good for driving and not for approaches or putts. The nose down quick rip is what you want to get with any driving grip. I won the World Distance Championship using the Bonopane in 1981. The Bonopane grip was only good for me using discs lighter than 165 gms. The Bonopane, like other grips can be used in different ways by altering the thumb position. Thumb forward and toward the rim putts the rip on the knuckle of the middle finger. Thumb rear and out on the plate puts the rip on the pads of the three fingers on the inside rim. The front position is quicker, but potentially less powerful. The rear position is not as quick, but more powerful. Our website shows the front position. Both positions are good for nose down.

ck34
Oct 29 2006, 10:40 AM
I use lighter discs from 150g to 165g for longer drives so haven't even tried Bonopane with heavier discs to observe that problem. My current long drives are with a 158g Orion LF and 167g Pro Wraith using the Bonopane.

ChrisWoj
Oct 29 2006, 12:58 PM
Two advantages to the Bonopane are: 1. as Chuck said, nose down help, and 2. a relatively easy,energy efficient, quick rip. Three potential disadvantages are loss of power on heavy discs, poorer feel of the orientation of the disc, and poorer feel of the distance touch. It's mainly good for driving and not for approaches or putts. The nose down quick rip is what you want to get with any driving grip. I won the World Distance Championship using the Bonopane in 1981. The Bonopane grip was only good for me using discs lighter than 165 gms. The Bonopane, like other grips can be used in different ways by altering the thumb position. Thumb forward and toward the rim putts the rip on the knuckle of the middle finger. Thumb rear and out on the plate puts the rip on the pads of the three fingers on the inside rim. The front position is quicker, but potentially less powerful. The rear position is not as quick, but more powerful. Our website shows the front position. Both positions are good for nose down.

Just a side comment... you have two thumber grips, but neither of them the typical sky thumber grip. Thumb in the hook-thumber position and inside of the index finger against the top of the wing, all other fingers outside of the index finger not touching it.

The grip you show for hook thumber feels really loose and uncomfortable...

thatdirtykid
Oct 29 2006, 07:25 PM
I have a question: Why do you want to use only one grip, what is the benifit? I dont use many grips, but there is definately a benifit to each in different situations.

davei
Oct 29 2006, 08:22 PM
Just a side comment... you have two thumber grips, but neither of them the typical sky thumber grip. Thumb in the hook-thumber position and inside of the index finger against the top of the wing, all other fingers outside of the index finger not touching it.

The hook thumber shown is standard as far as I know. All four fingers are stacked opposing the thumb, so there is no looseness. Brian Schwebby uses it for sure as we were just discussing it at USDGC. What do you think is standard for a hook thumb? If you have another version, I would be happy to add it to the grips.

morgan
Oct 29 2006, 09:00 PM
It ain't the grip, it's the rip.

morgan
Oct 29 2006, 09:00 PM
Grip for show, rip for dough.

alexkeil
Oct 29 2006, 11:00 PM
I have a question: Why do you want to use only one grip, what is the benifit? I dont use many grips, but there is definately a benifit to each in different situations.

I feel- and I think KC might back me up on this- is that having one grip for all shots keeps consistency on all shots, so that there is never hesitation on any shot. It seems to work, since I have the same basic grip for all shots from long drives to short putts. It's the same principle behind learning to throw all ways (hyzer to turnover) backhand instead of trying to throw backhand and forehand. Since you are always throwing with your warmed up arm in the way in which you warmed up, you are much likely to hit your lines on every shot- even if it is not necessarily the best line. This way, your shots always end up where you expect them to be. Don't get me wrong... I throw forehand to get out of trouble as much as anyone else, but I'm going to throw backhand on pretty much every drive unless It's super tight on the left side of the tee. I'd rather be hitting my lines and throwing the same shot every time than trying to complicate things and force a shot that I haven't thrown for 3 holes.

ChrisWoj
Nov 02 2006, 01:45 PM

The hook thumber shown is standard as far as I know. All four fingers are stacked opposing the thumb, so there is no looseness. Brian Schwebby uses it for sure as we were just discussing it at USDGC. What do you think is standard for a hook thumb? If you have another version, I would be happy to add it to the grips.

Maybe the photo is just awkward... but here's the difference I see:

Your version: The thumb looks to be pad directly down on the inside of the rim, with the four fingers stacked opposite it with the inside of the index finger pressed against the very edge of the rim. The four stacked fingers are stacked down in line with the top of the disc... or below it when the disc is overhead and you're getting set to release.

My version: The pad of the thumb is pressed into the rim where it meets the bottom of the flight plate, looks about 45 degree to each (laying out a room you'd call it 'kitty-corner' you get me?). The inside of my index finger is directly opposing the thumb, only it is pressed directly against the flight plate. The fingers are curled exactly as they are in your version, but instead of being pressed against the edge, they're pressed against the flight plate. The four fingers are stacked out away from the disc, perpendicular to the flight plate.

If I can get some batteries I'll take a photo later if what I said doesn't make sense.

danknug
Nov 02 2006, 03:29 PM
I havent even seen you throw a hook thumber I didnt know you had that shot in the bag. Are you playing in worlds next year I heard there is no cap so anyone can get in

ChrisWoj
Nov 05 2006, 06:29 PM
I havent even seen you throw a hook thumber I didnt know you had that shot in the bag. Are you playing in worlds next year I heard there is no cap so anyone can get in

Usually when we played a round together it was doubles, you kept us out of trouble and I didn't need it so much ;) I mostly started using it in MidNats and after, and thats about when I think you headed home for a couple of weeks.

And if there's no cap at Worlds and anyone can play, I'm pretty sure I'll be saving my money for that experience!

davei
Nov 05 2006, 08:45 PM

Your version: The thumb looks to be pad directly down on the inside of the rim, with the four fingers stacked opposite it with the inside of the index finger pressed against the very edge of the rim. The four stacked fingers are stacked down in line with the top of the disc... or below it when the disc is overhead and you're getting set to release.

My version: The pad of the thumb is pressed into the rim where it meets the bottom of the flight plate, looks about 45 degree to each (laying out a room you'd call it 'kitty-corner' you get me?). The inside of my index finger is directly opposing the thumb, only it is pressed directly against the flight plate. The fingers are curled exactly as they are in your version, but instead of being pressed against the edge, they're pressed against the flight plate. The four fingers are stacked out away from the disc, perpendicular to the flight plate.

If I can get some batteries I'll take a photo later if what I said doesn't make sense.

I think I understand. Yours is different, if I understand. The hook thumb grip I show has the rim between the fingers and thumb. Yours has the flight plate between the fingers and thumb. I have never seen that used. I will try it. Thanks.

ChrisWoj
Nov 05 2006, 09:19 PM

I think I understand. Yours is different, if I understand. The hook thumb grip I show has the rim between the fingers and thumb. Yours has the flight plate between the fingers and thumb. I have never seen that used. I will try it. Thanks.

Likewise I'm going to have to try yours out in the next few days. My grip seems to, for me, come out to a 270ish max on distance, and is very reliable and accurate (got me a couple of deuces yesterday, along with some accurate upshots in the dark when I didn't trust my eyes for a backhand or flick)... doesn't seem to slip easily or get affected by wet or cold.

ck34
Nov 05 2006, 11:45 PM
There is a "cap" at Pro Worlds and people will still initially get in based on invites. However, our cap is 432 which is more people than have ever played Pro Worlds before. It would be great if we actually capped out.

danknug
Nov 19 2006, 05:39 PM
whats the difference? :confused:

danknug
Nov 19 2006, 05:42 PM
Remember you told me I dont have to worry about getting in considering I work there and there is no limit to the amount of people. Is the pdga going to try and pump up the pay out this year. Having two events over 10000 it is only right to have the worlds be equal in payout if not exeeding other major events players cup 10000 us open 11000 i could use 10000 bucks smile

ck34
Nov 19 2006, 05:53 PM
I can make no promises other than everyone who gets invited has an equal shot to get in. After that wave, everyone who was not invited who gets on the waiting list right away has an equal shot. Those getting on the waiting list right away have always made it into past Worlds that have had much less capacity as long as they pay their entry fee as soon as the waiting list people are allowed to enter.

Payouts will be comparable to previous Worlds with perhaps a slight increase. Remember that added cash at Worlds is spread almost proportionally among 8 divisions with a little more to open divisons, unlike USDGC and Players Cup with just 1 or 2 divisions.

danknug
Nov 19 2006, 11:44 PM
oh how ignorant of me i cant believe i didnt think of that. well I guess there is going to be nothing anybody is going to do about it untill someone starts taking more of an initiative, as far as bringing in more sponsers and media coverage. how do I get on the waiting list I requested to be on it two months ago when I spoke with you on the phone but according to you it is not a required thing whats the deal?

ck34
Nov 19 2006, 11:51 PM
Waiting list usually starts March 1. But you'll have to wait for the announcement from PDGA HQ early next year and they'll say how to do it. The PDGA handles invites, waiting lists and registration, not the Am or Pro Worlds teams. People who will receive invites are usually posted sometime in late February with the actual invites being mailed in late March.

danknug
Nov 20 2006, 10:30 AM
COOL BEANS /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif