Oct 02 2006, 09:35 AM
So i'm drivin around last friday with an old friend from california.Ray Carr #3130.He won the Worlds in Tulsa I believe it was 85?Been to a dozen Worlds since then.As old school as they come.Almost thirty years i've known this man.We're chattin about this and that as my phone rings.Yes Sir,(In a softly spoken tone) He says,My friend from California gave me your number as a contact.Tell me,Where' a good place to play Disc Golf in the Ft Smith area?I explain that there's a couple but realizing that Carr and I are going to Ben Geren I suggest it and offer to meet him there at noon.Ray asked who it was,I dunno Stancil something.STANCIL JOHNSON? Yeah I think so.Wholly [email protected]!! He's gonna freak when he knows i'm with you.Sure enough as we're waiting a gentle looking old fellow pulls up in a car and gets out.I shake the hand of someone i've never met before.Stancil Johnson is #009.Wow!I could go on for hours about that round.The easiest way to explain it would be to say that I felt to be in the presence of Disc Golfs' royalty so to speak.That round with those two old fellows reminded me of what we set out to do when we PLAYED a round.It was fun.He asked more questions of me than I did of him.He really wanted to know what was going on.How everybody felt about the sport.Did we have any clubs formed,Had we contacted the local college,The list goes on and on.Stancil wrote the first book on Disc Sports(There was one little phamplet before that but Stancil does have the first complete book)I read this book recently.Shawn LaMastus has a copy signed by Stancil.Get this! The man was raised here,Graduated from Ft Smith High(Now known as Northside)Here for his 55th year class reunion.He gave me his E Mail address and asked me to send him some info.He's writing another book.It's called The Disconary.It's gonna be packed with terms and such from all the disc sports.I gave him a couple.Darrell if your reading this look for the Bailey to be in there.Too funny.Anyway I just thought this was a cool story.It did humble me.And it did make me feel I was even more a part of something great.Remembering first and foremost that this sport or game was designed to be fun.And the people involved are some of the most unique any sport has to offer.It truly was the coolest round.If you have a story about yours,Post it here.I'd like to see more like this.I know somewhere along the line everybody has had one of those moments where it all just felt so right and a sort of calm came over you as you "PLAYED" this game.

circle_2
Oct 02 2006, 11:54 AM
WOW, very cool!! :cool::cool:

Was talking with a KC Dg'er 5-6 years ago who has our Olathe course literally in his backyard...and he related how on a vacation to New Mexico he was in a bar talking about Dg to some of the patrons - when 'another' guy at the bar turns to him and says, "I invented this game you speak of...!" Yup, was Ed Headrick himself...! :cool:

Oct 02 2006, 06:12 PM
Nice /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

BrokenPutt
Oct 02 2006, 07:17 PM
Did you get donkey in the book too?

Oct 02 2006, 11:00 PM
Yes I will.I still have to E Mail him the info but Donkey is definately one. :cool:

BrokenPutt
Oct 03 2006, 08:06 PM
Cool!! There was a picture of him in the current DGWN.

P.S. I like the new name! Not quite as good as The Stroker, but almost!

Oct 03 2006, 09:51 PM
:D

superd
Oct 03 2006, 11:44 PM
ya hear that pitch my names cooler. :cool:thanks mayo. we need to catch a round so i can spread ya all over tha course. :eek: :D

Oct 04 2006, 09:02 AM
That kinda sounds nasty.

twoputtok
Oct 04 2006, 09:08 AM
Sounds like Arkansas to me. :o

Oct 04 2006, 09:47 AM
Yup!!! :D

superd
Oct 05 2006, 01:51 AM
figured two old goats like you and wise would find that sick. :p

BrokenPutt
Oct 05 2006, 02:46 AM
If we catch a round, the only thing that is gonna be spread is the cash outta your wallet! :p

Oct 05 2006, 09:29 AM
Looks like the challenge is there.Better step up paddler boy

superd
Oct 05 2006, 01:55 PM
this guy thinks i have cash :eek: :D

racerb491
Oct 20 2006, 10:40 AM
A couple of use are going to horseshoe tomorrow. Any of you interested? It's going to gorgeous. Tee off 11-11:30

superd
Oct 20 2006, 04:57 PM
would love to except for the ben geren mini and my third job. i'll have to pass on this one.

shaolintrained
Oct 21 2006, 03:01 PM
Went out to play a few rounds yesterday afternoon and midway through my first round I caught up with Dave Feldberg and a buddy of his. At the end of the round, they were at the first teepad out here at Dexter and asked if we were down for some doubles. Considering Dave Feldberg is by far my favorite player, this was definately a treat and the first time I got to meet him. Some of the shots that guy can throw are insane. His buddy Will and I were on a team against Dave and his partner, it took 3 playoff holes after the round of 18 to determine a winner by CTP at dark (Dave got it by about 10 feet closer than mine). So I lost a dollar to Feldberg, but well worth the tips and advice I got out of it. By far my coolest round.

Oct 21 2006, 10:41 PM
Cool round.Good story.

DSproAVIAR
Oct 22 2006, 11:42 AM
After the DGLO this June, I went to work on Monday. My buddy Josh Romine called me up at about 11 and told me he was playing with Nate Doss at noon on the Original at Hudson Mills. I told my boss I had the opportunity to play DG with a World Champ, showed him a picture I had of Nate from a Discraft brochure, and he let me leave for a few hours. It was really sweet, just the 3 of us. He talked about life as a world champ, growing up in Cali, ladies in general, and life on tour. I learned alot that day, about disc golf and life. THe funniest thing was, I found out that I was older than him by about 3 months, I was surprised. I even had him beat until hole 14, when I took a double. But it was "The Coolest Round" that I have ever played.

Oct 22 2006, 11:54 AM
I'm really diggin the stories.Great stuff. :cool:

circle_2
Oct 22 2006, 01:27 PM
Back in '99 I met my DG buddy for a round at Centennial Park here in Lawrence, Kansas...when some guy in a rental car pulls up and asks to join us. Turns out he has a traveling job (and apparently a really cool boss) which allows him to play a LOT of different DG courses. He had arranged a 5-6 hour layover in KC and had rented a car and went and played Water Works (new at the time) and then drove to Lawrence to play Centennial. This is a lot of activities crammed into a short period of time, BTW.

Anyway, he carried 4 discs, a max weight X-Clone, a 150g X-Clone, a Discraft midrange (Hawk or Comet) and an 86 Softie. He hurriedly tore up the course with a -7 and then had to get the hell back to the airport to make his connecting flight. I think he was from Ohio, but my memory is foggy...

I believe Centennial was his 130-something'th course he had ever played...played it blind and shot an impressive score. He commanded those X-Clones like they were radio controlled, nailed several long putts...missed at least 2 long putts but was hitting metal every time. :cool:

Why did he drive all the way to Lawrence from WW? Cuz he had played all the other KC courses at one time or another...but needed an extra long layover to play both WW and Centennial...and do all the necessary driving in between. Pretty cool boss indeed! :D