virtualwolf
Oct 01 2006, 02:01 PM
Does anyone have any tips on how I can increase my accuracy on my drives? Is there any drills or challenges I can do? Thanks in advance to all who reply...

atxdiscgolfer
Oct 01 2006, 03:08 PM
forward momentum and snap

the_kid
Oct 01 2006, 08:30 PM
If you use a power grip try a fork/fan/pinch grip on shot that don't require full power.

Lyle O Ross
Oct 01 2006, 11:21 PM
Reach back or bent elbow?

If you use a reach back harken to Stokely. Reach back on your line, that is the line you want to throw down. Your pull is relaxed and along the line you are throwing down, all the way through until the disc is at your chest, then snap it out on the line.

For bent elbow issues go to Blake Tukkanen's site and read Dave Dunipace's stuff on accuracy.

Ruder
Oct 02 2006, 12:21 AM
What I used to do was drive with putters for awhile (I just did this back and forth on our first hole). They give you a real idea of the lines you are throwing. Id then subsequently throw my whole bag of discs starting with my stable discs (flash's etc), then I'd throw my understable discs (wildcats, xs's etc) then I'd top it off throwing my overstable discs (preds, crush's, ...) It shows you your weaknesses that you should be able to fix by remembering how you were throwing your putter.

Anyways, what you should get out of it all is what your strengths are. Are you better at hyzers, anhzyers, straight shots? Once you find out, if you throw the line you are best at as often as you can, bam - your accuracy should go up. (at least this makes sense in my brain)

and

Per stokely - always run up on the line you plan on throwing on.

james_mccaine
Oct 02 2006, 12:09 PM
Wow, a thread about accuracy, and not distance.

I'm going to assume that what I call consistency, you are calling accuracy. If not, sorry for the blather. I've been contemplating this quite a bit lately and I'll recount my thoughts as they might be helpful.

My initial premise was that consistency has more to do with proper fundamentals, than with any other factors we might conjure up. I'm a firm believer that certain fundamentals/techniques will produce a more consistent stroke, and thus more consistent throws.

I was reading a discussion on baseball hitters, and the two camps were classified into what was termed linear swing advocates, and rotational swing advocates. My inexpert description of the linear group was that a batter should transfer their weight from the back to the front. In this manner, the batter was creating a linear momentum towards the pitcher. Rotational philosophy is planting a straight left leg (for righties) into the ground and almost pushing back from their plant foot. This action opens the hip much, much faster and creates greater bat speed. It also creates essentially a rotational momentum. Thus the term rotational hitting.

I see the same thing in disc golf: as part of their stroke, some people move over their plant foot (or close to it at least), thus continuing their linear momentum towards the target. If plotted, this stroke is not truly linear, but much more linear than the alternative. Others stick their plant foot, push backwards which opens the hips quickly and enables greater arm speed.

If you plotted the disc from above, these two strokes would look different. The linear stroke would look longer and flatter. Less circular. The rotational stroke would plot out more circular. Well, we must release off the tangents of this stroke, and that tangent depends on our mastery of timing. If you plot those tangents along the likely area of release, you will see that the tangents for a linear stroke are much more forgiving than the tangents of a rotational stroke. In other words, if you are going to have imperfect timing of release, a linear stroke will minimize how far off line your shot will be.

The tradeoff to a linear stroke is that you sacrifice arm speed and thus potential distance.

Practical advice
In less esoteric terms, good maxims are "get your weight over your plant foot." It will get you a more linear stroke, but will also result in a more balanced posture, allowing, the body's natural coordination to take over.

An excellent synopsis of practical advice that will improve your consistency can be found in Dunipace's article at Blake's site. I found the last paragraph under plant foot and the discussion on center of gravity particularly enlightening regarding consistency, even though the article was on distance.

Also, the obvious advice is to study Climo's stroke, as he seems to have a extremely balanced stroke, which I would classify as linear. Not surprisingly, he is extremely accurate.

In summary, I think a linear stroke increases accuracy. It might hurt distance, but it helps accuracy.

ck34
Oct 02 2006, 12:22 PM
If you plot those tangents along the likely area of release, you will see that the tangents for a linear stroke are much more forgiving than the tangents of a rotational stroke. In other words, if you are going to have imperfect timing of release, a linear stroke will minimize how far off line your shot will be.

Although this isn't about driving, this is essentially my primary argument for straddle putting versus foot forward putting. With foot forward, you're more likely to have a rotational release that relies on precise release timing to not be left or right of the basket. With straddle putting, the release is more linear and the amount of energy used is the primary controllable to not be too high or too low. Straddle putters usually don't miss left/right once they get their mechanics down which also means getting metal and stopping (or rolling away) more often on misses.

the_kid
Oct 02 2006, 06:26 PM
I have a good suggestion! Make sure the last thing you see is your line. I know if the last thing I see is a tree I WILL hit it. :D

paerley
Oct 02 2006, 09:39 PM
When I throw my best shots, I'm usually thinking about how my 'missed' shots usually error with that disc. I don't know if it's that I get extra snap, or I just do something weird, but I get more skips than dug in shots, and have a tendancy to end up left of my targets due to this. Because I end up left, I force myself to throw more to the right(when allowable), to account for this.

morgan
Oct 03 2006, 05:20 AM
There are only two ways to increase accuracy.

1. practice
2. practice

I heard there was a third way also, but I think it was just practice.

Ruder
Oct 03 2006, 04:12 PM
Although this isn't about driving, this is essentially my primary argument for straddle putting versus foot forward putting. With foot forward, you're more likely to have a rotational release that relies on precise release timing to not be left or right of the basket. With My mastraddle putting, the release is more linear and the amount of energy used is the primary controllable to not be too high or too low. Straddle putters usually don't miss left/right once they get their mechanics down which also means getting metal and stopping (or rolling away) more often on misses.

I want to argue your theories but this is the wrong thread.

However, a rotation realease has many benefits of it's own once the characteristics of of it's flight pattern are understood. These characterstics apply most noteably to shots that require the disc to turn over sooner than later.

virtualwolf
Oct 03 2006, 04:46 PM
Does anyone have video of Climo throwing that they could post? Or of anyone that has a really accurate stroke...Thanks everyone :D

LouMoreno
Oct 03 2006, 04:59 PM
From Blake T's site
THE CHAMP (http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/analysis/kenclimo.shtml)

There are lots of clips of others to view there too.

pnkgtr
Oct 03 2006, 05:15 PM
Throw 2 or 3 drives at a hole and putt the worst one (record your scores). It really helps maintain focus and consistency. It may also help with meaningful long putting practice.

Oct 03 2006, 09:32 PM
I've been working a lot on accuracy over distance lately and the one thing that has helped me most is slowing my runup to a walkup. I can throw just as far now with more accuracy using an ultra slow aproach. I've also been working on throwing shorter drives with only a single step for my momentum shift to my plant foot. The results have been eye-opening.

the_kid
Oct 03 2006, 09:43 PM
That is the opposite for me. I like a faster run up as it seems to help my timing. I know its weird but it works for me. :D

nanook
Oct 04 2006, 12:11 PM
I've been working a lot on accuracy over distance lately and the one thing that has helped me most is slowing my runup to a walkup. I can throw just as far now with more accuracy using an ultra slow aproach. I've also been working on throwing shorter drives with only a single step for my momentum shift to my plant foot. The results have been eye-opening.

I completely agree, I have experienced the same thing with a slower approach...

nanook

DSproAVIAR
Oct 04 2006, 12:18 PM

nanook

I 3rd

virtualwolf
Oct 04 2006, 09:58 PM

nanook

I 3rd

I agree...the slower approach gets me more accuracy too and about the same distance...Those vids of the pros throwing are off the hook

quickdisc
Oct 04 2006, 10:40 PM
I have noticed a difference in my driving when I don't drink too much !!!!! :eek: :D

circle_2
Oct 04 2006, 10:42 PM
For the good or bad? ;)

quickdisc
Oct 04 2006, 10:47 PM
:cool:

mikeP
Oct 09 2006, 09:27 AM

I am lucky enough to get to play with the Champ at my home course, and this is the most constant piece of advice that he gives to us inconsistent advanced players---slow it down. Also I have seen Alexy Bubis throw with the one step run up(if he runs up at all) and he is very accurate.

virtualwolf
Oct 11 2006, 07:37 PM
discspeed you are very lucky to have a tutor like the champ. I wish I had that opportunity. :cool::)

Furthur
Oct 16 2006, 02:02 PM
Boobs has always been a very accuate thrower. Even when taking an X-step, it's very methodical and simple. His form is one I'd love to copy if I could ever get it down.

stevev
Oct 29 2006, 01:17 AM
I found the advice from Frisbee a few posts back to be really helping my game.