jparmley
Sep 11 2006, 04:15 PM
Is there going to be any type of organized mini at Zilker now that league is over? It would be nice to have a mini every Thursday. Just wondering.

LouMoreno
Sep 11 2006, 04:22 PM
ACL starts on Friday. The baskets should be pulled by Thursday afternoon. When they go back in, they'll be on the south side. I don't think anyone is planning to run anything yet.

What kind of mini would everyone like to see? singles? more random draw doubles?

jparmley
Sep 12 2006, 11:51 AM
Doubles might be a little to easy when playing the south side, don't you think? I was thinking singles with a little added flavor. Back in the Woodlands we always altered some of the boxes to extend some of the easier holes....what do you think about extending #1, #2, #7, #8 and #9's tee boxes on the south side? You could use temporary flags to mark the boxes during play...maybe then you might actually see someone throw a bogey or two during a round. Just a suggestion.

alirette
Sep 12 2006, 04:09 PM
It was suggested at our last meeting that we do the Winter Ranch Minis again. :D

Fishead_Tim
Sep 13 2006, 12:10 AM
I'll be there for some of those Ranch Minis!! Just after the snow falls here!!! :D

jparmley
Sep 13 2006, 12:04 PM
It was suggested at our last meeting that we do the Winter Ranch Minis again. :D

Forgive my ignorance but do you mean mini's at Wimberly? That's a loooong drive for a mini.

james_mccaine
Sep 13 2006, 12:59 PM
The ranch minis were on the weekends, and I believe they were two rounds. IMO, (since I was not at the meeting I will voice it here), the sunday two-round mini concept is a great idea, especially when held with a greater frequency on weekends without local tourneys. Maybe they could turn into a series? Maybe they could also be held at other places such as Kyle, Manor (Mike, get off your donkey ;)), Gonzales, or under the radar at Wilco.

rolo14
Sep 13 2006, 03:29 PM
I agree that playing doubles on the south side (assuming that's where the baskets will be as of next Thursday) might be a little bland, so here's a couple unsolicited ideas in "Lou" of dubs... /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

1. Play 1-disc singles.

2. Play a different doubles format like alternate shot or tough shot.

3. Play a different singles format like match play or 1 handicapped division.

$0.02

jparmley
Sep 13 2006, 04:17 PM
I was hoping to keep a weekly gig going at Zilker on Thursdays. It's a centralized course making it easy to get from work to the course in a timely fashion. Plus, with the dreaded time change approaching, start times will have to be no later than 5pm during the week. Playing Zilker South would accomodate such a short window of sunlight. Traveling from course to course each week is incredibly fun (just ask anyone who plays SouthSide BagTags) but I don't think it's a possibility with the time change. Hmmm....

LouMoreno
Sep 14 2006, 12:05 PM
1. Play 1-disc singles.

This is a great idea but turnout might be pretty low. Even at Zilker there are a few players that don't feel comfortable without their 20+ in the bag.

jparmley
Sep 15 2006, 09:03 AM
True, but correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't this past summer the first time for league, right? And we had 20+ people showing up all summer Long. I think there's a chance that these same people could continue making it for singles minis...especially if it's close to where they work (ie Zilker). The time change is the biggest factor though...that screws up everything!

Fishead_Tim
Sep 16 2006, 01:42 AM
So what's wrong with having 20+ discs in yer' bag? If you only use one at a time, life's good!! :D

jparmley
Sep 18 2006, 01:46 PM
Fish, when are you coming back to Austin....it's gotta be getting a little chilly up there, plus you're not going to have any light pretty soon. What say you Artic Hippy???? :D

Fishead_Tim
Sep 19 2006, 04:39 PM
I'll be back before X-Mas. I'm outta here 1st weekend in December, then Hawaii for 2 weeks the Sweet Home Country Club!!! Twin Parks here I come! The Guiness better be stocked up! :cool:

gordonmk
Sep 20 2006, 10:47 AM
Well, the ACL fest has come and gone. As expected, the parks dept is very busy cleaning up and disassembling everything from the fest, so it will be awhile before they can get the baskets back up.

So� the club wants to do it sooner ourselves. However, if we are going to do it during the week, it has to be during the day when the maintenance area is open.

What we would like to do is to put it back up tomorrow (Thursday) at lunchtime or in the early afternoon. I�ve got a truck and we can do it with just one truck, but a second would make things faster and easier. Also, we need another 2 or 3 people to help with the lifting/carrying.

If you can come down to Zilker tomorrow at 12:15 to help, please email me at [email protected] or send me a PM and let me know. If you can�t do it at lunchtime, but can do it around 2:30, let me know that also.

If we can get enough folks to commit to being there at 12:15, then we�ll do it then. If not, then we�ll try for 2:30. If we don�t get enough response at all to put them up during the day, then it will have to be done this weekend.

Thanks,

Gordon
Waterloo Disc Golf Club

jparmley
Sep 20 2006, 01:14 PM
There's no way we can push it back until 4-5pm? I can't get off work at noon nor 2ish.....is there anything that can be done at a later time like 4:30? If so, let me know and I would be happy to help!

gordonmk
Sep 20 2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks everyone for a great response to the basket help call.

John Brady, Lynn Chaumont, Kirk Lavallee, and Rocky Kelly all will be there to help. That should be plenty to put up the 9 baskets on the south side. Thanks!!!

Because we will have the course back up tomorrow (Thursday September 21st), we are going to hold a low-key mini in the evening.

$5 per person; open, adv, and int divisions
format: 1 disc only

We�ll do a bigger, more formal 1-disc-mini next Thursday.

Gordon

gordonmk
Sep 20 2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the offer Jon, but we only have access to them until 3 pm.

But they will be going up tomorrow anyway, so see you at the mini I hope? :D

jparmley
Sep 21 2006, 01:14 PM
No problem Gordo! A one disc mini on the south side sounds like fun! Count me and my Spider in!!!!!

gordonmk
Sep 21 2006, 04:03 PM
The baskets are in, and the mini is on.

See you there.

Thanks Kirk, Rocky, John, Lynn, and Charles! :)

jparmley
Sep 22 2006, 09:09 AM
That was fun yesterday! Cograts to Rick for playing so well with his Valk. To anyone who missed the one disc mini yesterday...anyone can win in this format! There will be another mini next week...don't miss the opportunity to win some cash!

maverick
Sep 22 2006, 01:45 PM
what did the winner shoot?

esalazar
Sep 22 2006, 01:48 PM
Are the baskets now on the south side?

seewhere
Sep 22 2006, 03:15 PM
The baskets are in, and the mini is on

jparmley
Sep 22 2006, 04:42 PM
The course is on the short..I mean south side. I think -6 down won...there were only like 8 people so we played one division> $5 entry; $2 acepot played off at the end if no one hits (you have to throw the same disc you used for the mini for the CTP if it happens). It was pretty windy so picking the right disc to play was difficult....stable mid range was the choice of most but the winner used his Valk. This format really levels the field...hell Gordo was tied for the lead until an unfortunate 7on 7 led to his demise (just having a little fun with ya Gordon! ;)). Come out next week...it's worth it!