losotd
Jul 31 2006, 11:41 AM
Just received this...

Texas Teams Update 2006

Texas Teams will be held November 18th and 19th this year. Circle R Ranch near Wimberly will host the event once again.

From the website www.circularproductions.com (http://www.circularproductions.com) ...

The Concept

Every course in Texas is invited to send a team. Teams may also represent schools or other organizations. Some courses send more than one team.

The Format

Teams compete head-to-head, so when A-Town plays B-Ville, A-Town�s #1 plays B-Ville�s #1, A-Town�s #2 plays B-Ville�s #2�etc. The team that wins the most individual matches gets the victory.

Rounds are 9 holes, and it�s all match play, so it�s not your total score that counts � it�s how many holes you win.

Most teams will play 4 rounds on Saturday and 2-3 rounds on Sunday.

Entry Fee

$45 per player. Every player gets a tournament sweatshirt, a tournament disc, greens fee, and free lunch on Saturday. Camping is free for Texas Team Championships.

Team Makeup

There are two divisions � Emerging and Established. Smaller towns and newer courses compete in the Emerging division. Teams consist of 6 players: 3 Advanced and 3 Intermediate.

Bigger cities and older courses compete in the Established division. Established teams have 9 players: 2 Pro, 2 Advanced, 2 Intermediate, 1 Master, 1 Amateur Woman, and one �swing� player (Pro Woman, Grand Master, or Advanced Master).

Payout

No cash, no prizes. It�s all for team pride and fun. There will be trophies for the top teams, plus awards for Best Dressed Team and Most Spirited Team.

-----------------------------------------------------

So last year Live Oak had two established teams, one Jay Reading and Chris Himing put together, and one I put together. There are only 9 spots on each established team...

Open Pro (2)
Pro Master (1)
Advanced (2)
Intermediate (2)
Am Woman (1)
Swing Player (Pro Woman, Grand Master or Advanced Master) (1)

I thought we put together a pretty good team last year, but I know there were many who felt left out or just didn't know about the tournament till we had already made up teams.

Some communities have had a tryout to determine the spots. I can't speak for the Jay and Chris team (Live Oak Team "B"), but I wouldn't mind having a tryout for Live Oak Team "A". If we have enough players we could field an established Team "A" and "C" or have an emerging team (3 advanced, 3 intermediate).

So lets hear your ideas on this.

ozdisc
Jul 31 2006, 12:03 PM
I can't speak for the Jay and Chris team (Live Oak Team "B", but I wouldn't mind having a tryout for Live Oak Team "A".

I won't be in the country then and I spoke to Jay yesterday and he won't be in Texas then either. Looks like Jay and I go away as reigning Champions. :D

Good luck Live Oak.

DISConnected
Jul 31 2006, 12:35 PM
Tryouts, eh?

OK, but if I have to eat more than a couple of hot dogs or run more than about 50 yards, I'm OUT.

losotd
Jul 31 2006, 12:39 PM
One option phoned in to me was to use the 2006 league stats, and invite players for two or three established teams based on where people stand in the league. This would reward those that compete often and compete well. Where it gets difficult is finding enough amateur women who want to play in the am woman slot for each team.

DISConnected
Jul 31 2006, 12:56 PM
Whew. That sounds a lot easier. :D

jocur
Jul 31 2006, 02:12 PM
I like the idea of overall standings. If you have an actual "tryout" and someone's game happens to be off, you might be losing a good player. But, if the tryout was over a set period of time, like a month or a few weeks. Then you could compile an average of 4-6 rounds per player, so there is time to save your average if you bombed one week. Just throwin' out ideas.... And if you have trouble finding AM women to play, you could always offer to split her entry with rest of the team..who doesn't like to play for free?

losotd
Jul 31 2006, 02:40 PM
It's not that the women won't play because of the entry fee, there just aren't that many playing. Nelle plays pro and can't play the am woman slot, though that doesn't stop the baggers from Houston ;) I hope Laura and Tara will play this year. That will take care of a slot on each team. I have no problem covering their entry fees if that is what it takes though.

jocur
Jul 31 2006, 03:07 PM
I just thought that a free entry would make those on the fence decide to play. I know it would help me decide. ;)

losotd
Aug 01 2006, 04:55 PM
Stop it with all the ideas on this, I can't take them!! Seriously, unless there are objections, I'll post what I think are two deserving teams based on attendance and performance in our league. Later though, I'm heading to DC, then Philly tomorrow!

JHouston
Aug 02 2006, 06:07 PM
Great idea Beee, That way we get the best teams to represent!!!

wheresdave
Aug 03 2006, 08:44 AM
But no more IMT for BigBagger :o:D

JHouston
Aug 03 2006, 06:29 PM
Maybe not, until ratings come out agian

suemac
Aug 04 2006, 05:54 PM
Lady Baggers from Houston, come again?

Dee has officially moved up, and she was the only one that applied too. Why not ask about KT, or Stacia?

No baggers left in Houston. The format doesn't bode well to the ladies anyway. Given they slot the Open ladies are offered always stronger GUYS around to fill it (for the competitive teams) so they end up left out. Not right, but hey, this isn't a girlie sport now is it? And the am ladies slot, that could be anything from wreck to over qualified Advanced, not quite fair either.

Tara and Baby, see you girls on the course!

losotd
Aug 04 2006, 09:29 PM
yeah, Sue I never did like that part of the format. Bagger :D

suemac
Aug 06 2006, 11:55 AM
To be called a bagger, I've waited years to hear those words! LOL :D

Can't wait, always fun no matter what slot played on any team participating, I call that priceless.