willkuper
Jul 27 2006, 04:17 PM
why is there a pro playing in the AM Worlds? Thanks.

rhett
Jul 27 2006, 05:06 PM
If it bothers you, call PDGA HQ and point it out. Either there is a reason, or it is an oversight.

Or you could just make 100 or so threads about it on here and accomplish nothing...

ck34
Jul 27 2006, 05:12 PM
Unless you're talking about someone else, Billy Moody applied to return to Am status and it was granted.

seewhere
Jul 28 2006, 11:50 AM
Chuck when did he apply and what year was it granted???

unclemilty
Jul 28 2006, 12:32 PM
Hey Chris,
When I looked it up, it seems that after you petition and are granted AM status, then you wait 60 days before playing the next event as AM, not 1 year. Where did you see a year?

seewhere
Jul 28 2006, 12:46 PM
Reclassification
A player may change classification from amateur to professional status at any time by contacting the PDGA Office. A player may
request reclassification from professional to amateur status by petitioning the PDGA Competition Director. Players who are
reclassified from professional to amateur are not eligible to compete in all PDGA Amateur Major Events (World and US
Championship events) during the year in which they are reclassified, but will be eligible to do so in the following year.
Reclassification within Amateur divisions (for example, from Intermediate to Advanced or vice versa), is based on updated play

ck34
Jul 28 2006, 12:49 PM
We will ask the Competition Director, who is here in Tulsa, to clarify this issue and his decision taken when he has a chance.

BDH/PDGA ED

esalazar
Jul 28 2006, 01:58 PM
what a lame situation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Jul 28 2006, 02:15 PM
DITTO!

michellewade
Jul 28 2006, 05:23 PM
We will ask the Competition Director, who is here in Tulsa, to clarify this issue and his decision taken when he has a chance.

BDH/PDGA ED

I thought once a person has taken cash that that ended the "am" status?? :confused: Isn't that the reason an am will play open but will forego the CASH?

I thank you for starting a new thread w/just this topic as there's too many pages on the am worlds thread(s) to keep up.

slackglass
Jul 28 2006, 06:02 PM
good grief guys
just play the game let the PDGA work out the rules
want to be in that group run for office
most of the guys in the A pool could beat pros so they should all be pro any way
but i am not in the office that would determine that
so i will just play the game
jay

krazyeye
Jul 28 2006, 06:26 PM
Reclassification
A player may change classification from amateur to professional status at any time by contacting the PDGA Office. A player may
request reclassification from professional to amateur status by petitioning the PDGA Competition Director. Players who are
reclassified from professional to amateur are not eligible to compete in all PDGA Amateur Major Events (World and US
Championship events) during the year in which they are reclassified, but will be eligible to do so in the following year.
Reclassification within Amateur divisions (for example, from Intermediate to Advanced or vice versa), is based on updated play

So he could have been reclassified as an am in December and be okay for this Worlds. You can try it next year.

bravo
Jul 28 2006, 07:48 PM
if reclasification was applied for and granted pre 2006 its ok from what ive read . this could easily be proven with proper authority response to the memberships concernes as that authority really is suposed to represent the membership as whole. truth doesnt have to hide!!!!! :( :( :( :( if there is such proof please end this discussion with the evidence.

deathbypar
Jul 29 2006, 11:25 PM
Are you guys talking about jesse sellers. The pro that was in first going into the last round and then playing himself out of the final 9????????????? :confused:

If so, then that is what he gets. :o

If you sre talking about Moody, then you should shut it and say something to HIM if you got a problem. No one that played with Moody this week had a problem with it I can tell you that. :o

rhett
Jul 30 2006, 01:05 AM
I thought once a person has taken cash that that ended the "am" status?? :confused: Isn't that the reason an am will play open but will forego the CASH?

I think you fully understand this rule, as you yourself played AM at the Evergreen Open last year under this rule.

krazyeye
Jul 30 2006, 03:03 AM

I think you fully understand this rule, as you yourself played AM at the Evergreen Open last year under this rule.

this is beginning to look like a bunch of keystone cops.

michellewade
Aug 01 2006, 01:14 PM

Yes, one tournament, one time. I was allowed to play as an AM b/c my rating SUCKED.. Still does as a matter of fact.

So it appears that ams no longer have to forego the cash! They can play pro, accept cash and still play as an AM later on. Thanks for clearing all of this up.

bruce_brakel
Aug 01 2006, 01:40 PM
With an 817 rating you can play Advanced Women or in any Men's Amateur Division of your choice, except at Majors. With an 817 rating your petition to be reclassified as an amateur would probably be well received.

The Pros Playing Am rule is two years old now. Petitioning for reclassification has been around for years and years.

jparmley
Aug 01 2006, 01:44 PM
Billy petitioned the PDGA to regain Am status (for whatever reason...who knows why..maybe an injury..maybe not playing as much anymore...who cares...he followed the rules by petitioning). He WAS granted Am status by the PDGA after they reviewed his situation (even though he accepted cash in an sanctioned event as a pro previously...again, this falls under the rules of the PDGA). The rules state that once he regains "Am" status, he cannot play a "Major" event i.e. Am Worlds within the same calendar year as he petitioned.

The main questions is what year did he petition the PDGA to become an AM? I believe chuck mentioned he would look into this....I'm sure there's a legitimate answer.

Billy is a good guy who probably experienced some sort of hardship or incident in which he felt would limit his game. I think it's okay to allow a former Pro to regain Am status if they have a LEGITIMATE reason and they follow the PDGA guidelines. It appears that Billy followed these guidelines.

ck34
Aug 01 2006, 02:14 PM
The rules state that once he regains "Am" status, he cannot play a "Major" event i.e. Am Worlds within the same calendar year as he petitioned.

I did ask about it and posted the answer on another thread. The current policy is that the PDGA Competition Director reviews the situation and decides whether to reclassify a player with Am status. There are no strings attached any more. You may immediately play in any Am event including majors the day you are officially reclassified.

Plankeye
Aug 01 2006, 02:25 PM
The rules state that once he regains "Am" status, he cannot play a "Major" event i.e. Am Worlds within the same calendar year as he petitioned.

I did ask about it and posted the answer on another thread. The current policy is that the PDGA Competition Director reviews the situation and decides whether to reclassify a player with Am status. There are no strings attached any more. You may immediately play in any Am event including majors the day you are officially reclassified.

If this is true, then PDGA needs to stop being wish-washy and/or update some forms online. This following blurb comes from this link and I will quote the pertinant phrase.

http://www.pdga.com/documents/2006/06DivisionsGuide.pdf

ck34
Aug 01 2006, 02:32 PM
I agree that this info should have been updated. It's an ongoing challenge for the office to keep up the website info. There are improvements we've been waiting for for several years now because they don't have the volunteer technical resources to do all of the web work required.

Plankeye
Aug 01 2006, 02:34 PM
Yeah, but the link is an "06 guide."

Isn't this 2006?

ck34
Aug 01 2006, 02:37 PM
Yep. But those rules were developed and approved in the second half of 2005 and posted near the start of 2006. Frankly, I was surprised when I heard the new policy so it must have been approved at a Board meeting this spring.

seewhere
Aug 01 2006, 03:22 PM
now people are starting to see what I have been asking and talking about for the last week or so. also billy will need to be re-registered with the pdga as an am if such status was granted. he is still listed as registering as a pro. also how many of you think he would have petitioned to regain AM status if Am worlds was NOT in Tulsa?? :oI would bet $100 bucks to say he would not have. so now the PDGA will be getting allot of request for Am status on where AM worlds will be held for that year.. IE watch out for some Wisconsin Pros asking for AM status next. and again if we are going to be a Professional organization than all rules regulations need to be up to date. thanks

the_kid
Aug 01 2006, 03:27 PM
I didn't read on hear when he petitioned but if it was before the <955 rule then he probably did it so he could just go back to ADV and not because of worlds.

Aug 01 2006, 03:33 PM
SEEWHERE ,you make a lot of sense!
You can not argue with your logic.
When the state changed the speed limit from 70 back to 65, officers were not pulling people over for doing 70 untill the signs were changed. Same concept applies. If you found the rule listed in the 06 rules, why would you argue with that!

bigbadude
Aug 01 2006, 03:38 PM
I would like to see Chris Ware as President of the PDGA so none of this BS could happen again. There should not be any special conditions for or treatment for anyone, no matter what he or she has done for the discgolf. :o;) Ware for President!!! :cool::D

seewhere
Aug 01 2006, 04:00 PM
and I promise I will have no sexaul relations with Monica lewinski :D/msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif ;) /msgboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

ck34
Aug 01 2006, 04:09 PM
If you read the post by I think McCoy on another thread, Billy was encouraged to get reclassified by the local Tulsa team and he didn't initiate the idea. So you're right that the Am Worlds was the reason but not because Billy was plotting this all along.

Aug 01 2006, 04:22 PM

seewhere
Aug 01 2006, 04:25 PM
will do thanks

bigbadude
Aug 01 2006, 04:26 PM
I see Chuck that you have cashed this year as a pro in 2 different pro divisions and also won some am. events this year also. I don't know what your trying to say here Chuck I'm an old school discgolfer, when you accept cash your a pro player, no jumping back and forth. We need Chris Ware as President of the PDGA, for things like this do not happen. ;)

the_kid
Aug 01 2006, 04:28 PM
I see Chuck that you have casded this year as a pro in 2 different pro divisions and also won some am. events this year also. I don't know what your trying to say here Chuck I'm an old school discgolfer, when you accept cash your a pro player, no jumping back and forth. We need Chris Ware as President of the PDGA, for things like this do not happen. ;)

I agree that you should either play Am or Open and not just jump around depending on the field but I don't think Billy did anything wrong.

ck34
Aug 01 2006, 04:31 PM
I also cashed in the Blue division at Mid-Nationals which brings together Ams and Pros based strictly on skill level. That's the future. Perhaps old school just means outdated?

Aug 01 2006, 04:39 PM
If you read the post by I think McCoy on another thread, Billy was encouraged to get reclassified by the local Tulsa team and he didn't initiate the idea. So you're right that the Am Worlds was the reason but not because Billy was plotting this all along.

So , do multiple wrongs make it right?

Aug 01 2006, 04:40 PM
SEEWHERE ,I will vote for you!
Im sure # 73 ( at Am Worlds ) will too.

ck34
Aug 01 2006, 04:42 PM
So , do multiple wrongs make it right?

Despite all of the attempts to find something wrong, no one has other than lack of communicating the policy change.

sandalman
Aug 01 2006, 04:48 PM
how many former Pros won at this year's Am worlds?

tbender
Aug 01 2006, 04:51 PM

Better question: How many unsanctioned tourney winning Pros finished in the top 3?

the_kid
Aug 01 2006, 04:54 PM

Better question: How many unsanctioned tourney winning Pros finished in the top 3?

Yeah what about those guys? :D

seewhere
Aug 01 2006, 04:56 PM
SEEWHERE ,I will vote for you!
Im sure # 73 ( at Am Worlds ) will too.

thanks Lee :D

michellewade
Aug 08 2006, 01:43 PM
Did anyone from the BOD ever answer this question?

the_kid
Aug 08 2006, 01:45 PM
He petitioned to become an AM. It was granted therefore he is an AM again.

seewhere
Aug 08 2006, 02:15 PM
yea they (pdga) said all you have to do is petition than they flip a coin and decide your fate and the other thing that no one knows about is you don't have to wait a year to start to play ams just the opposite of what the 06 division guide says. Something that needs to be fixed but I am sure they (pdga) are working on some dress code issues!!! OH WELL.. when is the next AM worlds around TEJAS /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif ;)

chappyfade
Aug 08 2006, 07:32 PM
Did anyone from the BOD ever answer this question?

Well, no one ever asked anyone on the BOD, at least not in the places where a BOD member is most likely to find it (like the contact link, email, PM, etc...) As I've said before, I don't read this board often...there's too many threads to wade through, and I have a regular job I'd like to keep. If you email me, use the contact link, or PM me, you will get a response the same day most times, if not within minutes. That's neither here nor there.

Everyone that played in the Am Worlds was eligible for Am Worlds. There was one player somewhat recently reclassified with a 939 rating whose only cash in the past few years was in Green Country Doubles....with Kevin McCoy as his partner. His player card had mistakenly not been changed online to indicate his amateur status. The one year wait period for playing in Am Worlds after being reclassified was thrown out 2 years ago. It frankly doesn't make sense that a reclassified amateur should have to wait a year to play in Am Worlds. If he's eligible to be an amateur, he's eligible to play in Am Worlds, provided he's invited.

Players are reclassified as amateurs based on several factors, but mainly if they have a real chance to even cash as a pro. A 939 rated player simply does not have a real chance to cash in the Open division, except perhaps in the weakest of fields.

There are some documents apparently where this change didn't get updated (which we shall fix), but it's been policy since 2004 to allow any amateur, reclassified or not, to be eligible for amateur majors as long they qualify otherwise for the event.

I'd welcome any responses to this, but please use the contact link, private message, email me at [email protected], or call me at 816-547-6148. Any of those methods are sufficient, but I won't be reading this thread much. If you want an answer, you know where to find me.

John Chapman
The LAST PDGA Competition Director

seewhere
Aug 09 2006, 11:33 AM
John you have email

chappyfade
Aug 09 2006, 11:36 AM
Not from you I don't, at least not yet.

I checked the [email protected] email address, and it's working fine.

Chap

Alacrity
Aug 09 2006, 12:58 PM

Just my $.07 worth (inflation), I once registered as an open player, I never cashed and never did any better than top of the bottom third. After realizing that I would never be able to practice enough to compete at the open level I quit playing for years. Several years back I petitioned to be dropped back as an amateur player and as I remember it, the PDGA didn't even show me as having played or registered as an open player.

I do plan to move to Open Masters, at this point, I am just trying to decide the timing. Since I am involved in the Texas 10 as an amateur player, I am looking at waiting for this series to complete. The other item of concern is the Worlds Doubles.

CAMBAGGER
Aug 09 2006, 03:18 PM
John, thanks for the clarification on this matter. Hopefully that will stop the whining and complaining.

seewhere
Aug 09 2006, 04:47 PM
oops resent. thanks again for some clarification.

and cam not whining just wanting to understand the rules as a TD one needs to know when and how players regain AM status.

AviarX
Aug 10 2006, 06:12 PM
I do plan to move to Open Masters, at this point, I am just trying to decide the timing.

just a point of clarification: Open by definition is a division without any restrictions on who may play in it. Pro Women / Pro Masters are closed (aka: "protected") divisions based on gender / age requirements.

AviarX
Aug 10 2006, 08:23 PM
okay, i just checked the Pro Worlds tour page and the scores are listed as "Open Women" which seems to me a mis-use of the term Open. Pro Women would seem to make a lot more sense... :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

keldog
Aug 10 2006, 09:08 PM

Just my $.07 worth (inflation), I once registered as an open player, I never cashed and never did any better than top of the bottom third. After realizing that I would never be able to practice enough to compete at the open level I quit playing for years. Several years back I petitioned to be dropped back as an amateur player and as I remember it, the PDGA didn't even show me as having played or registered as an open player.

I do plan to move to Open Masters, at this point, I am just trying to decide the timing. Since I am involved in the Texas 10 as an amateur player, I am looking at waiting for this series to complete. The other item of concern is the Worlds Doubles.

What do you mean World Doubles(get off my glass of milk)if you play Am Worlds Doubles ,I'll have to come and see about that :eek:!and not with KING

jeffash
Aug 10 2006, 09:43 PM
What do you mean World Doubles(get off my glass of milk)if you play Am Worlds Doubles ,I'll have to come and see about that :eek:!and not with KING

Great idea Kelly!
I should be re-classified as an Am by then. ;)
We can both have two World Doubles titles.
Each with a different partner.
Let me hear you say MILKSHAKE!!!

keldog
Aug 10 2006, 10:30 PM

Great idea Kelly!
I should be re-classified as an Am by then. ;)
We can both have two World Doubles titles.
Each with a different partner.
Let me hear you say MILKSHAKE!!!

\
GET THAT PAPER WORK IN AND BE READY ;)

Alacrity
Aug 11 2006, 12:36 AM

Bring it on :p