Jul 20 2006, 08:18 AM
here is an interesting question i would like to have the PDGA answer. if a non-member plays pdga sanctioned events in the open division and cashes at a few small tournaments (C and D tiers) then decides to join the pdga as an am how is this handled?
kurt waggoner

MTL21676
Jul 20 2006, 08:42 AM
When you first join the PDGA, they go back and find rounds that you recently played as a non member and add them to your member totals, therefore it would be seen you are a pro.

The only thing to be worried about in a situation like this is if someone doesn't re-join. Let's say someone is rated 950 and never re-joins the PDGA. Two years later, they are still not a PDGA member, but play around 1000 - 1010 golf consistently. This guy can still play am!

That is a problem and yet ANOTHER reason to totally get rid of this pro playing am thing. Go back to re-petitioning the PDGA. I got no problem with the PDGA saying its ok for this player who was injured to go back to am.

discette
Jul 20 2006, 08:45 AM
When you first join the PDGA, they go back and find rounds that you recently played as a non member and add them to your member totals, therefore it would be seen you are a pro.

Are you sure about this? What would be the reasoning behind this?

MTL21676
Jul 20 2006, 08:47 AM

Are you sure about this? What would be the reasoning behind this?

Sure - yes, 100%. Not sure how far back they go. I don't know the reasoning behind it though.

ck34
Jul 20 2006, 08:54 AM
The PDGA goes back no more than 30 days to pick up results from PDGA events for a new member. Any cashing activity before that would not be recorded.

A player who is a nonmember playing 1000+ rated golf can only play Am in a PDGA event if the TD allows it. Nonmembers have no rights regarding sanctioned tournaments and if the TD says someone can only play pro, that's the way it is.

MTL21676
Jul 20 2006, 08:57 AM
A player who is a nonmember playing 1000+ rated golf can only play Am in a PDGA event if the TD allows it. Nonmembers have no rights regarding sanctioned tournaments and if the TD says someone can only play pro, that's the way it is.

very very good news.

However, sounds like this only would pertain to local players. Let's say I traveled to Joe Blow's Tournament three states away and I'm a non member. You think they are going to know I'm not a PDGA member and that I would be close to a 1000 rated?

ck34
Jul 20 2006, 09:00 AM
Of course, since the ratings system is so inaccurate, we don't really know this player was playing 1000 golf whether he was local or traveling. And with no ratings system we wouldn't know anything upon which to judge. :p

MTL21676
Jul 20 2006, 09:05 AM
Of course, since the ratings system is so inaccurate, we don't really know this player was playing 1000 golf whether he was local or traveling. And with no ratings system we wouldn't know anything upon which to judge. :p

Ok yeah well 1000 rated golf is a good player and way above am level which no one will dispute. Ratings problems come with guys around 955 and 915, not 1000, but whatever.

I just see yet another problem that I'm trying to address. I know many many good players who are not PDGA members.