superq16504
Jul 12 2006, 12:09 PM
Ok so I had never really noticed myself but I have wobble in my drive (usually only with drivers not midrange or putters off the tee) BTW thanks Dave mac for pointing it out. ANyway my drives will wobble for the first maybe 15-20 feet (this is why i didnt notice it by the time I pick the disc up with my eyes it is flattened out) and after 15 feet or so it picks up the line and flies smooth the rest of the flight.

I am looking for the culprit of this, I took out the video camera and wow was that an eye opener. there are several technique issues to fix but I am focusing on the wobble issue first. It was sugested it may be my grip, I have some gap between the meaty part of where my thumb meets my hand and the top of the disc. But looking at the video I noticed that when I reach back I am on a good high line across my body but as I start to swing forward my arm dips a little then back up and release at the same level I started at. What I am wondering is this dip in my swing something that would cause off axis rotation, and If I correct it should that correct the overall issue?

MTL21676
Jul 12 2006, 02:23 PM
lmao

off axis rotation

LMAO

I love it

ryangwillim
Jul 12 2006, 07:10 PM
Without seeing you throw, it's difficult to lend the correct advice. But from witnessing countless other good players with this same issue, you might try to be aware of your arm speed in relation to your wrist speed. Your wrist pop has to be of higher velocity then your arm pull-through or it will create flutter. I would suggest slowing down your arm speed just a tad and see if your disc comes out a bit smoother.

Like I said, I've never seen you throw, so this might not be helpful, but I believe it's worth contemplation at the least. Good luck!

discgolfreview
Jul 12 2006, 09:14 PM
the dip could be part of the problem, but it would be the dip in conjunction with some mis-timing of power focus.

if you accelrate late, THROUGH the plane of the disc, the dip will not really come into play. if you burn up your acceleration early and you fail to finish strong through the shot, the dip will likely cause some wobble if it is significantly abrupt.

grip may come into play, but i would say it is probably a secondary factor. as for not getting the meaty part of your hand on the disc, this is likely robbing you of some grip strength/throwing power.

one thing that may come into play is the rotation of the shoulder plane. to throw a "pure" shot, the shoudlers should rotate on a plane parallel to the disc plane. that is to say, if you intend to throw a 20 degree hyzer, at your reach (turned 180 degrees from the target) your right shoulder should be lower than your left shoulder sloping downward at a 20 degree angle. similiarly, late into the throw your when your chest is facing the target, your right shoulder will be slightly higher than your left shoulder (sloping up at 20 degrees). breaking that plane during your rotation will skew the flight of the disc.

DSproAVIAR
Jul 13 2006, 12:05 PM
Blake, in your example of a 20 degree hyzer, is it true that when the shoulders are turned 180 away from the target, the right shoulder should be lower than the left? I would think it should be opposite.

discgolfreview
Jul 13 2006, 12:41 PM
it is true. if you look at say, an 80 degree hyzer (where you want no angle change or left/right movement of the disc) you will need to bend at the waist and reach with your right shoulder substantially lower than the left. similarly, when you finish your arm will be moving almost straight upwards when your chest is facing forwards.

it is possible to use the shoulder plane to help manipulate flight changes. if you threw a 20 degree hyzer with the right shoulder 20 degrees lower at the reach and level when your chest is straight forward, the disc will be more apt to flatten/turn. similarly, if you are throwing a long turnover roller starting at 20 degrees hyzer you would want to finish with the right shoulder diving downwards.

DSproAVIAR
Jul 13 2006, 02:41 PM
You're too smart for me Blake.

gang4010
Jul 14 2006, 10:15 AM
Flutter is most commonly caused by wrist rotation. If your thumb rotates toward the sky as you pull through, the disc will try to do the same thing. Do you experience any exaggeration of flutter when trying to throw turnover shots?
Wrist rotation is often caused by just trying a bit to hard to put torque on the rim. Work on cleaning up the snap by paying attention to the motion of your hand leading to the snap point. Consider your wrist a hinge - rotation in a hinge is on a single plane.

Lyle O Ross
Jul 14 2006, 06:58 PM
Ok so I had never really noticed myself but I have wobble in my drive (usually only with drivers not midrange or putters off the tee) BTW thanks Dave mac for pointing it out. ANyway my drives will wobble for the first maybe 15-20 feet (this is why i didnt notice it by the time I pick the disc up with my eyes it is flattened out) and after 15 feet or so it picks up the line and flies smooth the rest of the flight.

I am looking for the culprit of this, I took out the video camera and wow was that an eye opener. there are several technique issues to fix but I am focusing on the wobble issue first. It was sugested it may be my grip, I have some gap between the meaty part of where my thumb meets my hand and the top of the disc. But looking at the video I noticed that when I reach back I am on a good high line across my body but as I start to swing forward my arm dips a little then back up and release at the same level I started at. What I am wondering is this dip in my swing something that would cause off axis rotation, and If I correct it should that correct the overall issue?

Jeez, if I could shoot 951 I'd be happy to have a wobble in my throw! :D

Lyle O Ross
Jul 14 2006, 07:00 PM
Question,

Are you a reach back thrower or a bent elbow? I'm betting you're a reach back...

superq16504
Jul 17 2006, 09:06 AM
I am a little of both, I reach back to begin with but my release is more of bent elbow. I am trying to incorporate bent elbow reach back too, there are just to many things to work on right now, I am all over the place with grip, footwork, and disc selection...

Lyle O Ross
Jul 17 2006, 02:22 PM
I am a little of both, I reach back to begin with but my release is more of bent elbow. I am trying to incorporate bent elbow reach back too, there are just to many things to work on right now, I am all over the place with grip, footwork, and disc selection...

The first thing that lit me up was that you don't have the problem when you throw putters and midranges. My guess is you're pulling too hard into your bent elbow. That takes speed and power out of your snap so you get less spin and more off axis wobble. Most people take a little off the early part of their throw when they throw putters and midranges

Power and distance come from the snap (unbending the elbow) not from the pull up into that bent elbow. Try slowing that down a bit and thinking more about positioning the disc prior to the snap. This is an easy test, it doesn't change anything else but the speed you pull into the bent elbow. BTW - if I'm right, you'll get more distance too.

Smitty2004
Jul 23 2006, 12:05 AM
Q

I watched your disc all morning long. No wobble!

My advice to you, don't worry about it.

Remember my quote on the putt? "I don't know how I do it? I just practice it that way."

You have no wobble. Throw smooth not hard and you have it whooped.

gdstour
Jul 23 2006, 03:53 PM
Hey Q still working on the game i see!

I like Blakes answer on the rotation versus speed, but dont think thats the case with Q as his mid-range shots seem to go farther by percentage than his drivers, and without really good rotation thats hard to accomplish.
Q you have plenty of power and unless your little flutter is causing you to use discs that are more overstable than necesary I wouldnt worry to much.
It is almost always better to be able to throw slower discs and more stable( straighter landing) escpecially on technical shots. not having any flutter is better but there could be worse things.
If it is just a power shot or pure hyzer that allows for "pitching wedge" type up and down shots; than overstable discs would be better, especially for power players who can throw these shots accurately!.

superq16504
Jul 24 2006, 09:46 AM
I think I have it nailed now. Thanks to everyone, and Smitty I sure wish you could have watched my shots in the afternoon too... I will be ready for GBO see you all there. :D