sandalbagger
May 30 2006, 11:53 AM
Well I just got back from Mt Washington in New Hampshire (6000 feet+) and of course I had to throw a disc. It was by far the farthest throw of my life from elevation. In 50 mile and hour winds, I threw a 172 sidewinder with some hyzer and a downward angle. After about 1000 feet in the air, the disc flipped over right and conitinued to sail another few thousand feet before it flattened out and went so far that I could no longer see it.

Im just curious about some other good spots to throw discs off of mountains. Or any fun stories.

There is a nice little spot by Paw Paw West Virginia that you can throw into the cumberland river from way up high....but this shot from Mt Washington was just unbelieveable. NExt time your in New Hampshire, take your discs with you.

I threw a brand new sidewinder, but I was tempted to throw every disc from my bag.......they can all be replaced right. lol

u4iknightmare
May 30 2006, 01:36 PM
One of the members of the local club here in Missoula, MT is vacationing in Guatemala.

Posted on our websight a story of climbing a volcano and sacrificing a 'virgin' Beast to the lava flow.
Link to Post (http://www.gardencityflyers.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=424)

Even if there were courses in Guat, I'd do it too. ;)

Then, a 20 minute drive from downtown Missoula, there's the Snowbowl Ski Resort* that sets up a DG Course during the summer. Elevation is 7200 at the top of the mountain.

*Yes, named like the one in Flagstaff, AZ that was used for 05 AM worlds, but the skiing sucks there in comparison. Haven't golfed it though.

riverdog
May 30 2006, 02:54 PM
I'm not likely to get the kind of D you're talking about Sandalbagger, but in a kind of cool "message in a bottle" way I have a couple or three throws in mind for this coming Thanksgiving. We will be on an island in the Grenadines, Bequia, for a week. My notion is to take the brightest Dragons I can find, "Sharpie" in contact info and a short message and toss them off the high cliff where we will be staying. The channel below the cliff is between St. Vincent and Bequia with the current carrying things out into the open Atlantic and....well, wherever...... Probably been done from cruise ships etc. I'd say. Anyone ever hear back from them? :cool:

quickdisc
May 30 2006, 04:34 PM
I guess that's different from putting elevation ?
http://www.charlottedgc.com/images/sugaw/sugaw_6b.jpg

Greg_R
May 30 2006, 04:50 PM
It's not just elevation, it's the actual height of the mountain! (i.e. a 10k ft elevation peak may only be 2k feet off the valley floor).

Throwing off one of the peaks around the Columbia River Gorge would be a long toss (4-5k ft. off the river)...

Greg_R
May 30 2006, 04:59 PM
I guess the best would be Colca canyon in Peru (2 miles deep) since it's the deepest canyon in the world. Hell's canyon may be a bit closer (8000 ft to the river).

quickdisc
Jun 05 2006, 09:57 PM
I hear the Eiffel Tower is awesome !!!!!

Mount Everest and the Kilimanjaro Volcano !!!! :D