vinnie
May 25 2006, 08:05 AM
WATERLOO!
Are there any plans to replace (not fix) the baskets? I would say of all the courses in Austin (If you call them courses :D) this course has the most exposure of disc golf to the non playing community than any other. And if I had never seen disc golf, I would consider the fellows throwing trash around in the park, because it looks like they are throwing something into what looks like a bent up trash can.
The old baskets could be raffled or sold off to generate money; there are many ways to generate the money needed.
Something to think about.............

LouMoreno
May 25 2006, 11:40 PM
Good call, V. We'll talk about it and what plans we can come up with.

esalazar
May 26 2006, 08:48 AM
yes indeed!! The Zilker baskets have been in really bad shape for as long as I have been playing!!!!

gordonmk
Jul 12 2006, 11:33 AM
New baskets for Zilker were already under consideration at the time of the posts, but thanks to this and other input on the subject, we've decided to go full bore on this project.

So Here We Go...

9 brand new double-chain discatchers and 18 new sleeves have been purchased by the club for Zilker.

2 workdays are scheduled to get it all installed: Saturday July 15th at 9 am, and Saturday July 22nd at 9 am.

Saturday July 15th, start at 9 am:
Removal of old sleeves from the ground for all nine holes on the South Layout
Installation of 9 new sleeves in the same spots

Saturday July 22nd, start at 9 am:
Installation of new baskets on the South Layout, but only temporarily � for a few days
Removal of old baskets and old sleeves on the North Layout
Removal of old sleeves for the North Layout by PARD
Installation of new sleeves

Then, on Wednesday July 26th or Thursday July 27th, late afternoon or early evening we'll move the new baskets to the North Layout and install sleeve caps on the South Layout sleeves.

We need volunteers both saturdays. If we have enough folks (and a few with trucks), we can also take some trucks over to the area near the mopac foot bridge where there is a bunch of mulch and put some out on the course.

We need wheelbarrows for mixing the concrete; mixing poles (for stirring); water buckets, shovels, - and if we do the mulching, some rakes would help too. Don't forget your work gloves.

At some point in the near future we will auction, raffle, and/or sell the old zilker baskets to help recover some of the costs. Please contact the club if you are interested in one of them.

Thanks! :D

esalazar
Jul 12 2006, 11:52 AM
sweet!! well done !!!!!

yobyug
Jul 12 2006, 05:40 PM
Just saw Gordo @ pease.......the grin was ear to ear..........Great job guys :D............work days next two weekends there........ :)...........glad I will have to miss due to Shreveport & Worlds :p ;)

alirette
Jul 21 2006, 01:03 AM
Thanks to Lou for not mentioning that I birdied #2 for the second time in over a year today ! :o:D
Dave and I will have the new baskets there at 9:00 AM. I might have the "HUCK FEST" Rec. Women Champion with me so, mind your P's and Q's. Thanks to all that can help get in the new baskets and sleeves. :cool:

gordonmk
Jul 21 2006, 11:19 AM
The workday last Saturday at Zilker went really well! Thank you to everyone who came out and helped us dig out the old sleeves and set new sleeves on the south layout. Aaron Stair, Lou Moreno, Stephen Barkley, Luis Guerrero II, Matt Burton, Moe Overton, Scott Allen, Todd Golden, Mark McCrimmon, and me. Mark brought a bunch of snacks and drinks too, thanks Mark! Great turnout from the South Austin guys! Really good help from the PARD Zilker crew too.

This Saturday morning, July 22nd, starting at 9:00 am, we�ll remove the baskets and sleeves from the north layout, set new sleeves there, and install the brand new baskets on the south layout. Please come out and help if you can, we need volunteers. Bring shovels (sharpshooters are especially helpful), wheelbarrows, rockbars, work gloves. We�ll have snacks and drinks available. If we have enough folks, we may put some mulch out on the course too.

Sometime next week (before league on Thursday), we�ll move the new baskets from the south side back to the north side.

Thanks Bert & Dave for picking up the new baskets from Circle R and bringing them on in to the park!!! :D

----------------------------------------------------------

We have worked out a deal with Zilker where if you are coming out for the workday this Saturday, or are playing disc golf on Thursday evening, you DON�T have to pay the $3 parking fee. Just mention at the gate that you are there for the workday (sat morning) or for disc golf (thurs).

gordonmk
Jul 21 2006, 04:37 PM
I just found out today from the Zilker Parks crew that there will be a 5K race in the park tomorrow morning. They will have the roads on the north side closed off during the race.

However, they said that it should be pretty much done by the time our work is starting.

If you get there and the roads are still shut, try parking under MoPac near the western end of the course (across from basket #2 and fairway #3 on the north), at least until they open it back up.

Hope to see you there,
Gordon

alirette
Jul 22 2006, 06:01 AM
<font color="green"> Like a kid on Christmas morning, I woke up way too early in anticipation of opening the boxes with new baskets inside. This is going to be so great. </font>

<font color="red">Thanks to </font> WATERLOO DISC GOLF CLUB (http://austindiscgolf.org/) <font color="red">for purchasing them and giving us Christmas in July !!! </font> :D

vinnie
Jul 24 2006, 09:57 AM
great idea for new baskets at Zilker....even better the city grant can in just in time

gordonmk
Jul 24 2006, 01:18 PM
Thanks Vinnie! :D

And thank you for being one of the members who suggested it and pushed for it.

However, the grant money has not come in. We have applied for it, and we're hoping that in September they will award us some, but we went ahead and paid for it all anyway. So far we are looking at spending about $3300 - $3400 for the project. If the grant comes through, we'll get at least some of that back (that we can then use on other projects).

vinnie
Jul 24 2006, 02:23 PM
other project.....hmmmm
A good one would be Tee signs for peace park

gordonmk
Jul 24 2006, 03:05 PM
Wow, ain't you the psychic one. That is already in the works.

Now... how about guessing for tee signs at Circle C too? :D

vinnie
Jul 25 2006, 10:11 AM
nah....just pull the baskets at Circle C :Dand find a place where Austin can have atleast one grassy course....Maybe Boggy creek park.

gordonmk
Jul 25 2006, 11:32 AM
Speaking of the new baskets: THEY ARE IN!!! :D

They are in the South Layout right now, but just for a few days.

Thank you to everyone who came out to help on Saturday! You guys were great. :D

Dave McKinney, Bert Lirette, Tom Peirce, Del Stair, Lou Moreno, me, Joe Torrence, Rich Collins, James Colangelo, Jason Winkel, Micah Winters

There was also a group of 4 casual golfers who stayed to help for a little while before having to head elsewhere: Shane Bryant, Joel Stevens, Mark Williams, Randy Moore.

And just when we reached the "starved for lunch" stage, Micah Winters showed up with a couple of pizzas from Austin's Pizza for the crew. What great timing :D

Special thanks to Dave and Bert for getting up really early and driving out to Circle R to pick up the baskets first thing in the morning (and thank you to Patty Justice for being up and out there at work early enough to meet them :D).

alirette
Jul 25 2006, 07:51 PM
nah....just pull the baskets at Circle C :Dand find a place where Austin can have atleast one grassy course....Maybe Boggy creek park.

Please don't pull the baskets st Circle C !!! It's the closest course to my house. Tee Box signs would be great, Gordon. I'll volunteer to help and I'm sure that Dave will,too. :D

vinnie
Jul 26 2006, 10:23 AM
circle a course......you got some low standards calling the endurance trail a course