stephenbarkley
May 16 2006, 06:04 PM
i just have one question.
is there any plans on removing the tree that fell on the teebox on #12?
i hear some people say it makes the hole more challenging and they like it. however i've heard more people expressing their displeasure with it. me personally i think that its a bit of a health hazard especially for taller people.

cormack
May 31 2006, 07:14 PM
Given your hobbies, i think you da man. Mike's time and energy are on his new baby and his other new baby (the Manor course). You could pm Mike or Dan Mueller to get an official go-ahead.

james_mccaine
Jun 01 2006, 10:03 AM
Health hazed? We need fewer taller disc golfers anyway. :p

Good advice about contacting Dan or Mike. If they agree to its removal, have at it.

stephenbarkley
Jun 01 2006, 10:28 AM
We need fewer taller disc golfers anyway.
what do you mean if anything we need more tall disc golfers. :D

Good advice about contacting Dan or Mike. If they agree to its removal, have at it.

i'll call dan today, but not just about the tree. right behind the teebox on #11 would be real sweet if it was cleared out a little more that way you wouldnt have to stand right next to the guy teeing off and you would be offered more shade to stand/sit in. also now that were getting rain again trees that were cut down are begining resprout and create a smaller and smaller window on #11. the small window doesnt bother me any but this hole use to be viewer friendly and now once it passes those resprouted trees i just kind of listen to were it went.
anyways i will gladly fix all these problems just wanted to make sure it was okay to do first.

cormack
Jun 01 2006, 11:11 AM
Many thanks in advance!

dizzard
Jun 01 2006, 04:53 PM
we need alot of work out there. the tree on #12 should probably come out. had thought it may survive but it's definetely dead. so many of the cut stumps are sprouting that we need to redefine the fairways. good idea on # 11 box. i (and mike) have absolutely no problem with people "grooming" what has been cut before, as long as the course design remains intact we are ok. several broken limbs need to be trimmed to remove hazards to our eyes etc... so as long as we are'nt redisigning or changing the integrity of a hole have at it. have planned to talk with the southside guys and waterloo to get a workday set once we get manor up and running.
steven thax for all the work you have done out there in the past.

alirette
Jun 01 2006, 10:33 PM
I have been working on a map for a few days and would like some input before I complete it. Thanks. :cool:

cormack
Jun 01 2006, 11:58 PM
Bert, I did one last year - sent it to Dan. I have it at the office and can send it to you tomorrow - It would be interesting to compare the lines.

cormack
Jun 02 2006, 01:09 AM
Here's the link to my original map:
circle map (http://homepage.psy.utexas.edu/homepage/faculty/Cormack/Circle/circleMapAnot.jpg )

If anyone is intersted, and like I said on the original post, I have a "sketch" version sans arial photo that would be more suited for printing on scorecards...

alirette
Jun 02 2006, 08:43 AM
This is your original map, Larry. I'm just drawing in little baskets and changing the numbers from yellow to white (easier to see). Save the picture to your computer and then open and zoom to see the detail changes. I am also going to print it and walk the course to mark the other alternate T-boxes. Any other ideas? After that I am going to re-do the Searight map, too.

cormack
Jun 05 2006, 11:02 AM
that's funny - me not recognizing my own work. Don't anyone let my wife know!

cormack
Jun 05 2006, 11:09 AM
alt boxes are a great idea.

the only other thing i can think of is... maybe if you drew #21 as 3 mortal holes instead of one supernatural hole, perhaps life would imitate art and two additional baskets would magically appear on the course.

alirette
Jun 05 2006, 06:27 PM
So, make it back the way it used to be? Or turn it into a 23 hole course? :confused:

cormack
Jun 06 2006, 09:42 AM
oh, i'm just kidding, though a 23 hole course would be nice. but Mike had to work within fairly rigid constraints, so there is no way more baskets are going in.

Really, it's just sour grapes b/c that hole kicks my butt - never have gotten my drive up to the corner where it needs to be...

rolo14
Jun 23 2006, 02:33 PM
I agree, something needs to be changed about #12's teebox. The fallen tree is certainly an added distraction, but has anyone noticed that the box is aimed 45 degrees or so offline?

As far as #21 goes, if you can get over on your 2nd shot, the difference in the boxes is inconsequential. It might speed up play (and make the course more enjoyable for rec/int players having a chance at a par 4 instead of no chance at a par 5) to move the short box up the hill into the tunnel/turn. You'd tee off out of the clearing--a downhill risk/reward drive requiring more accuracy the more you go for it.

My $0.02

Although I don't own any tools suitable for moving trees or earth, I promise to help on any workday devoted to #12's tee box. :cool:

NachoFoo
Jul 13 2006, 11:50 AM
Do you guys or anyone for that matter hold any minis at Circle C?

stephenbarkley
Jul 13 2006, 11:56 AM
10:00 AM EVERY SUNDAY MORNING

I BELEIVE PAT KINGHORN IS THE MAN IN CHARGE

NachoFoo
Jul 13 2006, 03:46 PM
how is the turn out for that?
I've been out there on Sunday's and haven't seen anyone.

LouMoreno
Jul 13 2006, 04:22 PM
Pat gets about 4-8 players all in 1 division on Sunday mornings.
Waterloo ran minis at Circle C for awhile but turnout wasn't that great. Maybe that course was too long and tough for a Thursday evening mini.

stephenbarkley
Aug 04 2006, 01:22 PM
anybody happen to notice the massacred tree on #18? :mad:

LouMoreno
Aug 04 2006, 02:05 PM
Not the only tree in the fairway?

At one of the holes at Hunter in Tulsa, someone cut down a tree in the fairway. A couple of TDSA guys dug a hole and cemented the tree into the ground right behind where it originally stood.

stephenbarkley
Aug 04 2006, 02:59 PM
the tree in the middle of the fairway. :(

jparmley
Aug 08 2006, 02:38 PM
Yeah...I played on Sunday and that tree is no longer an obstacle. And whoever did the pruning left all the branches on the right side of the fairway. It's not like that hole was that difficult anyway...now its a simple (and I do mean SIMPLE) hyzer. It ceases to amaze me how weak some Disc Golfer's can be...."that tree is in my way; remind me to bring the hedge clippers next time a play"....ABSURD!!!!!!

alirette
Aug 08 2006, 11:36 PM
anybody happen to notice the massacred tree on #18? :mad:

I am so angry about this that I could be banned !!! &%*#@!&(# :mad:

LouMoreno
Aug 09 2006, 12:17 PM
Agreed. If you don't like trees in your fairways, go play Old Settlers.

rolo14
Aug 10 2006, 12:30 PM
Nice one, Lou! :D

stephenbarkley
Aug 26 2006, 10:53 PM
i will be at the mini at circle c tomorrow at 10:00 am
if anybody feels like taking a beating see me a the c tomorrow
it will be theraputic. for me :D

seewhere
Aug 28 2006, 01:07 PM
Agreed. If you don't like trees in your fairways, go play Old Settlers.

and still shoot way over par :D

stephenbarkley
Aug 28 2006, 05:55 PM
8 over par was the winning score this weekend by yours truly.
i started off with a birdie on hole #7 and didnt go back over par until hole#19 i was playing with a good lead so i got a little fancy at times and it probably cost me 2 maybe three strokes. anyways i should be back out next week to defend. be afraid be very afraid. this weeks sign of the apocalypse barkley wins 2 weeks in a row.

dizzard
Aug 29 2006, 01:47 PM
so who cut the tree on 18??? this is frustrating as there is so much new growth that needs cut and then some duma$$ cuts an integral part of the fairway???
#21 plays as planned, there is no need for 2 or 3 holes there, learn it...conquer it! :)

stephenbarkley
Aug 29 2006, 02:16 PM
i love 21 it gives you so many options.
i lay up and go over the top sometimes but i would rather take my chances up the hill its more fun.

NachoFoo
Sep 18 2006, 02:29 PM
when do yall play out there on Sundays?

jparmley
Sep 18 2006, 05:39 PM
10am sucka....why are you thinking about playing? Or are you going to Live Oak for the finale? I typically play SouthSide bag tags on Sunday, but if the big EP will show up to Circle C this weekend and bless us with his presence, I might have to show up to take his monies :D

NachoFoo
Sep 21 2006, 11:58 AM
gotta get my bonus cash at Live Oak this weekend :D
but, I'll be trying to make it out there, I don't have a bag tag, but if you want to play for money I'm there.

jparmley
Sep 21 2006, 01:07 PM
Kewl....Ed, you have a PM

alirette
Sep 22 2006, 09:10 AM
Heading out to Circle C this morning. We will be there at 9:00 AM. If anyone else is off today, come join us. :D

NachoFoo
Sep 28 2006, 10:47 AM
Anbody gonna be out there this sunday?

vinnie
Sep 28 2006, 11:03 AM
this sunday!!!!!
Lago with a $450+ ace pot is Sunday

seewhere
Oct 06 2006, 10:35 AM
happy birthday Stephen

alirette
Oct 06 2006, 12:36 PM
Happy B-Day, Stephen !!! :D

seewhere
Oct 09 2006, 10:03 PM
hey barkley what happened to Kinder this weekend?

stephenbarkley
Oct 10 2006, 11:31 PM
he quit. i guess because he was having a bad round not having any fun. he said that if he can't compete then what's the point in playing. he said he won't play anymore tournaments but will still play casual.

for me the tournament was a great time. i wasn't happy with the way i putted but i putt well about 2 or 3 rounds out of 15 so i'm used to it. i'm also used to being overmatched so when things go bad i just try to trust my game and ignore what my competitors are doing no matter how much further they are driving or how much better they are putting.

i did watch the pros play the final 9 form the blues and ian had by far the best drive i've ever seen on hole #14 he must have been 100+ ft past the pond. he par;d 11, 12, and 14 to pretty much take control of the match. but alex downs birdied 16, and 17, to make it a tie going into the final hole. hole 18 alex lands about 40 pin high right of the basket and misses his birdie putt. ians drive land about 30 ft from the pin probably about 20 ft past pin high. ian cans his 30 footer for the win no playoff needed.

time for a beer.

maverick
Oct 17 2006, 05:27 PM
YOUR CIRCLE C DESIGNER
http://img.coxnewsweb.com/C/08/59/28/image_3328598.jpg

james_mccaine
Oct 17 2006, 06:56 PM
Can we make mini stickies, and put them on all the tee signs?

Man, I was seeing him everywhere last thursday. He was lying on the floor of the bathroom at work, hanging out at the table in the bbq joint, lounging around the breakroom. The dude gets around.

vinnie
Oct 18 2006, 08:00 AM
that picture....... :confused: and that hair cut :confused:
Is he wear a helmet?
Could he be our next Helmet Head?

james_mccaine
Oct 18 2006, 05:09 PM
Hey, is that Eddie, or is it Mik Olse? Actually, Mike's alter ego is more in line with Ozzie.

atxdiscgolfer
Jan 11 2007, 02:21 PM
thanks go out to whoever finally cut down the tree on hole #21,know it is officially a par 4.

stephenbarkley
Jan 11 2007, 02:45 PM
not the tree near old school 16 teebox. thats a big tree is this the tree you speak of?

man i sure wish i had time to play golf these days. i think next weekend i will finally be able to play a round again for the first time in a long time.
i know this is the wrong thread but the weather isnt looking good for the winter ranch mini this weekend but if for some reason the forcasters happen to be wrong i will try to make it to redrock on sunday.

barkley out

atxdiscgolfer
Jan 11 2007, 03:37 PM
the tree to the left of the trash can on #21,that tree ruined the hole,now a good tee shot is rewarded instead of being punished.

rolo14
Jan 15 2007, 11:27 AM
thanks go out to whoever finally cut down the tree on hole #21,know it is officially a par 4.

I thank that person as well--removing that tree makes the hole much more playable. But.....par 4? Interesting. I was thinking of it more like a reasonable par 5 now, but oh well. I can only assume then that you (and most players) routinely putt for your birdie 3 on that hole....WOW!

I guess that makes #6 a par 3 since it's half the distance of #21?

I guess what I'm saying is: For all those who subscribe to the "everything is par 3" mentality, do you ever pay attention to the scoring average on the hole for yourself and your group? BTW, if your idea of a par 4 is #21 at Circle C, I'd say the shoe fits.

The number of strokes you throw is the only thing that really matters, right? Why set yourself up for failure? I look at a 5 on Circle C #21 as a success (for me), because my personal scoring average on that hole is probably around 6. By a par 4 standard it becomes a virtually guaranteed failure since my lowest possible score of 4 isn't a success (birdie) and most of the time I would take a bogey (5) or worse.....

I guess it's about progress not perfection, right? If the "par 3" mentality has expanded to include 900-ft double-doglegs as par 4s, we're making progress! :D

seewhere
Jan 15 2007, 11:54 AM
I play everything as par 2 :p :D

stephenbarkley
Jan 15 2007, 11:58 AM
anybody up for a round today? :cool:

atxdiscgolfer
Jan 15 2007, 05:17 PM
not at all,I would say that #5 is a par 5 from the long box but a par 4 from the short;#6 is a par 4 from either location;and my bad on the typo for #21 it is a par 5.I have taken a 4 on #21 from both locations but it definitely did feel like a birdie instead of a par

stephenbarkley
Jan 16 2007, 01:22 PM
slaughter creek flows again.

rolo14
Jan 16 2007, 01:58 PM
That is sweet--it's been 2 years since the creek was in play on 15 and 21. Now if only the conditions were a little more favorable...

To the owner of the chainsaw: (1) you rock, and (2) now that #21 is fairer, how about #6? There's a hole that could use one less tree! I've put (some) drives right down the pipe on that hole and still had no second shot from the middle of the fairway! :DDOH!

alirette
Feb 11 2007, 10:35 AM
Save the trees at Circle C. Find the criminal that is
cutting them down and cut off something of his !!! :mad:

atxdiscgolfer
Feb 11 2007, 04:26 PM
what? the only hole that was ruined due to trees being cut down was hole #18 which I usually park with or without a bush in the way;leave #6 alone,its a great par 4 from either location.But someone please cut down the tree on hole #12 that is at the end of the tee box,that really makes the hole unreasonable.

MP757
Feb 15 2007, 06:14 PM
This place needs an "extreme" makeover! Keep cutting whoever you are? If you got some extra time on your hands, fix some of those tee-boxes that could possibly be voted as the worst in the history of disc golf. If there is some way you could nuke hole six from the map you'd be doing everyone a favor by getting rid of the worst hole thought of, ever made, or designed by someone who assumed they knew what they were doing. Oh, and the last hole out there is running a close second behind hole 6 for the worst and laziest holes ever made. I know they've been there for a little while, but please tell me the joke is over and someone is actually going to finish this place and make it a nice course again. :confused:

james_mccaine
Feb 15 2007, 07:44 PM
It's my understanding that anyone can go out there and fix the tee boxes, and I suspect any suggestions on a good material that will both work and be approved by the city will be welcomed by the designer and the club.

atxdiscgolfer
Feb 15 2007, 10:44 PM
thats good to know,however I just dont see how holes#9 and 11 could be fixed with the limestone in the middle.

dizzard
Feb 15 2007, 11:45 PM
proctor don't play it. go to seawright, shoot under and feel good.
circle c is a work in progress and the only cutting that should be done is by the designers, the cutting on 18's fairway a few months ago was the only "pirate" cutting to date. hope we find the culprit. the plan is for some tweaking to become 18 again with 2 new par 4's created by combining existing holes and removing one. there will be some tweaking on a couple of existing holes. some nice opportunities have revealed themselves and a very nice course is forthcoming providing we can repair the boxes.
it would help to contact the parks dept and express concern over the poor quality of the tees as opposed to merely pissing and moaning about it on this board as it serves only to #$*&$! off the people putting forth the effort . /msgboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

james_mccaine
Feb 16 2007, 12:02 AM
I just dont see how holes#9 and 11 could be fixed with the limestone in the middle.

Dynamite. :D

dizzard
Feb 16 2007, 10:06 AM
#9 tee will move back a little, 11 will need some extra care. # 12 will be obsolete.
we will be posting soon and begging for help re workdays. please get out and do your share to make this a much better course.

jparmley
Feb 16 2007, 02:23 PM
Has Waterloo attempted to organize a workday out there? I agree that there needs to be some work done to the course...I have a strong inclination that there's a lot of solid golfers who stay away from the course because of several of the tee boxes (ie see the turnout for the mini on Sunday mornings...maybe 4 or 5 guys). That tree that tries to break my wrist every time a throw (I'm having a senior moment and can't remember the hole number) has to go! The box has a very abbreviated run up as well making it a double whammy. Just let us know when the club plans a workday...maybe we could coordinate a Sunday morning when we're doing bag tags to recruit extra help.

NachoFoo
Feb 16 2007, 04:45 PM
I'd love to help out my home course. Let me know when that work day is.

atxdiscgolfer
Feb 16 2007, 08:39 PM
same here but weekend workdays dont work for me because I am either with clients,tournaments, or fishing at the coast.let me know if anyone on here can do some work on the weekdays. BTW - nice win last weekend Ed

stephenbarkley
Feb 18 2007, 12:26 PM
hole six is a well designed hole and their is nothing wrong with it. if you cant throw a flick or left handed it is definitley a challenge but you can alway throw a couple of layups and a nice up shot and still get an easy 4. this hole provides great scoring differential and only seems unfair when you throw a bad shot into the woods. well just dont throw it into the woods and your problem is solved. i wish there were more holes like this. you could play searite but if you really dont want to be challenged go play zilker and stop bashing circle c. of course one of my favorite things about circle c is watching great players curse her name but hey it's their fault they sucked not hers.

21 lazy come on now. you know how long it took people to clear the alley on 21 that was a lot of hardwork by a lot of people nothing lazy about it.

as for the teeboxes there are a few that are really bad but for the most part they are ok.

anytime there is a workday i will go help out just send me a pm and let me know when it is and i will be there.

LouMoreno
Feb 19 2007, 11:21 AM
hole six is a well designed hole and their is nothing wrong with it.

Right on. Hole 6 is a great par 4.

Workdays are in the planning stages for Circle C and Pease on both weekends and weekdays. You'll hear something very soon.

disctance00
Feb 19 2007, 01:12 PM
#9 tee will move back a little, 11 will need some extra care. # 12 will be obsolete.
we will be posting soon and begging for help re workdays. please get out and do your share to make this a much better course.

When you figure out what day you are going to get some work done out there I'll help out if possible. Gawd knows I don't like playing out there a whole lot cause of some of the boxes. I might as well help with `em since I've complained about `em. ;)

mikeharrell
Feb 19 2007, 02:45 PM
:D

atxdiscgolfer
Feb 20 2007, 01:43 AM
classic avatar Jeff, round us up a chainsaw and we can take care of that dead tree on #12s tee as long as it is ok with Dizzard?

dizzard
Apr 11 2007, 09:52 AM
we have pirate cutting again. fairway hole #6 is now missing a substantial size oak. someone cut it with a handsaw and left it lying in the fairway. number of cedars cut on fairway # 10 as well (they were also left lying in the fairway), someone obviously has a poor skill level and felt a huge gapping fairway plays better for them,
would dearly love to find the s.o.b. responsible for this to have an involved discussion on design.but then again why do we bother?? this is the sort of sh*t that made me give up "public" work projects on behalf of this sport.

vinnie
Apr 11 2007, 11:03 AM
Sorry to hear!!!!!!!!!!
send them over to Manor.......maybe the pirate cutters can get it done :)

atxdiscgolfer
Apr 11 2007, 01:12 PM
that sucks ,why didnt they cut the tree down thats hanging 1 ft in front of #12's box?

james_mccaine
Apr 11 2007, 03:58 PM
Those Pirates should have their balls cut off, if they had any. What a freakin wuss......"I keep hittin that tree, let's cut it down." What a pathetic piece of crap.

Vinnie, have you even seen Manor? I gonna kick your Donkey this weekend for that remark. :D

edit. nevermind Vinnie, I misunderstood your remark, but what the hell, I'll let you insult me saturday morning, then I'll repeat my boast. :p

maverick
Apr 11 2007, 04:46 PM
I've been to Circle C a number of times in the past month and I have not recognized any of the people that were there. Seemed like a lot of younger high school aged kids carrying one or two discs. I also remember Kubala's bag getting stolen from Circle C when he was building that cool bench next to #2 box. I think the problems at this course are because there are not enough regular players out there to "police" the course. It's a shame because the design is very good, now the tee-boxes, well that's another story. I would hate for this course to turn out like the other course located off of Slaughter.
BTW Manor will be open in May.................May '09

vinnie
Apr 12 2007, 11:34 AM
You just bring it feller.....

vinnie
Apr 12 2007, 11:35 AM
nothing but air and opertunity between me and you boy....and that mouth sure is perdy

DamonCotter
May 15 2007, 11:18 PM
[/i] Circle C deserves the attention. It's a killer course. Let's do it! How can we help.

PS. "Gawd" is spelled G O D.

jparmley
May 16 2007, 04:51 PM
that sucks ,why didnt they cut the tree down thats hanging 1 ft in front of #12's box?

b/c the people doing the cutting are probably crappy golfers who only play from the whites :mad:

atxdiscgolfer
May 17 2007, 01:42 PM
yep; I like to Alternate long/short at Circle C to me it makes a great layout,as long as you play 1 and 21 long it is still very challenging.

J A B
Sep 20 2007, 05:21 PM
Played Circle C today, first time this year... Man how much money does the city save by not mowing?

The grass is 3 feet high on most holes, the only reason it's not 3 ft high on all of the holes is the amount of rocks on the hill ones.

Time for me to do a body check for tics, anyone have a number for the Parks Dept mowing crew?

james_mccaine
Sep 20 2007, 05:38 PM
No, good luck though.

Bart got about that bad, two or three times during the summer. I found a parks department number to voice my concerns. The lady's reply was basically, "tell me something I don't know."

My suspicion is either that the Parks Department has budgeted X amount for mowing and that amount is based on a normal weather year and since this year has been so wet, they are almost out or money; or the Parks Department is giving us a subtle hint by now mowing the courses. I really think it is the first explanation though.

seewhere
Sep 20 2007, 09:51 PM
if you want to play on some sweet fairways and green grass come on north to the ROCK this weekend

alirette
Oct 06 2007, 11:04 AM
Happy Birthday, barkley!!! :o:D

atxdiscgolfer
Oct 10 2007, 10:35 AM
FYI- Circle C is now mowed

gordonmk
Oct 10 2007, 11:18 AM
Excellent (finally!!!)

How about Pease and Bart? Does anyone know if they have been mowed? Or are they still overgrown?

gordonmk
Nov 29 2008, 04:59 PM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

major, upcoming project at the Circle C Disc Golf Course this Winter. This joint project between the Parks & Rec.Dept. and Waterloo DGC will be a move towards the kind of disc golf course that we�ve all been wanting to see in Austin. This project will take a lot of time, energy, and commitment from the disc golfers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We could use a couple of more volunteers with trucks or vans to help pull out the Circle C baskets tomorrow (Sunday, November 30th). If you can help, please contact Dan Mueller or Mike Olse to find out more info (possibly in the late afternoon, but not set the last I heard).

Dan 293-7592
Mike 468-5002

Thanks,
Waterloo Disc Golf Club

LouMoreno
Dec 03 2008, 03:04 PM
The baskets at Circle C have been removed and the course is closed until further notice. Over the next 2-4 months, PARD will install concrete teeboxes, tee signs, benches, trash cans, and new baskets. They will also be doing some trimming and clearing. Waterloo DGC will be installing timbers, laying stone along walking paths, and spreading mulch on all fairways. Waterloo anticipates beginning its portion of the project in January 2009.

More information on the project and volunteer opportunities can be found here on the PDGA message board, at http://www.austindiscgolf.org , and through Gordon's email list as it becomes available.

alirette
Dec 03 2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the update, Lou. Any idea when the Waterloo scores will be uploaded to the P.D.G.A. Website (http://www.pdga.com/event?TournID=7428) ?

LouMoreno
Dec 04 2008, 03:06 PM
I have no idea, Bert. Gordon and Brad have the tourney results. I know Brad tried to make the entry immediately after the tournament but the PDGA site was under construction then. I'll send him a reminder.

mikeharrell
Feb 04 2009, 07:07 PM
lou i was at cricle c today looks like the tee boxes are in.(nice job) :Dwhen will the baskets be back in?(go mavs /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif :D)

LouMoreno
Feb 05 2009, 02:09 PM
The cheesey answer is, "when we're done."
The real answer is, "probably in 4 to 10 weeks depending on how many can help."

There is still a lot of work to be done. The next workday is on Sat, Feb 14. Bring your sweetie.

ccs1676
Feb 08 2009, 12:59 PM
Concrete tees at circle c? Awesome!

MattyInRR
Mar 23 2009, 12:50 PM
Any update on Circle C? When is the next workday Lou?

LouMoreno
Mar 24 2009, 11:29 AM
Nothing big to report yet. Last I heard, Forestry is still trimming and mulching out there. There may be a work day on Saturday. I'll post tomorrow if there will be.

LouMoreno
Mar 26 2009, 02:55 AM
There is a workday at Circle C this Saturday, Mar 28 starting at 9am. This will probably be the last workday before the course re-opens. For the most part, there will be rock to move and mulch to spread. Please bring rakes and shovels.

As a bonus, DiscNation will be giving volunteers $10 certificates for participating. Thank you, DiscNation.

LouMoreno
Mar 29 2009, 10:52 PM
We got a lot done on Saturday. There are some fairway brush piles that need to be chipped by the city and some piles of mulch that still need to be spread. We're getting close.

Thanks again to Damon and DiscNation for providing gift certificates to all the volunteers.

james_mccaine
Mar 30 2009, 01:24 PM
Bribing folks???? :p

Did they get pizza also?

LouMoreno
Mar 31 2009, 12:12 AM
We just thought it would be funny to give those away at the first Circle C workday that you've missed.

Seriously, thanks for all the hard work, James.

seewhere
Apr 15 2009, 05:12 PM
whats course status? please

LouMoreno
Apr 16 2009, 02:33 PM
The city still needs to spread some mulch, install the tee signs, and install trash cans. This should all be done and the baskets installed before the 1st Saturday mini on May 2nd.

seewhere
Apr 20 2009, 07:12 PM
doh may 2 dang it that is our bag tag tournament

MikeG
Apr 21 2009, 08:38 PM
I've heard some rumors of a possible mini on Friday the 1st. Maybe even a morning mini and afternoon mini.

james_mccaine
Apr 22 2009, 12:01 PM
Rumors? Little birds? You always have the scoop. ;)

mikeharrell
Apr 26 2009, 11:56 AM
this will be a austin gem, cant wait to play it.

zj1002
Apr 27 2009, 05:07 PM
so is it open or do I have to wait until this weekend to rip it up

seewhere
Apr 27 2009, 05:29 PM
dont think it is open yet

MikeG
Apr 27 2009, 07:24 PM
Circle C is not open yet. We're still gunning for this Thursday afternoon/Friday morning. The tee signs won't be in and there will be some more erosion control to take take of, but the course should be completely playable by then.

The main thing we're trying to finish in the next few days is spreading mulch in the fairways. This week's weather forecast isn't looking conducive to that goal but Olse cracks a pretty mean whip so I imagine it will get done regardless.

That said, if any of you don't mind getting a little wet and have a spare rake or shovel handy, we'll be out there (8:00-2:30ish barring frequent lightning) and would surely appreciate some helping hands.

LouMoreno
Apr 29 2009, 02:33 AM
Circle C will not be open by this weekend due to lack of equipment and the weather. Last week PARD redirected a lot of its resources to the sod project at Zilker Park which left Circle C behind schedule and the rain this week has not allowed for enough work to be done to complete everything that still needs to be done before the course opens. Look for the course to be completed in another week or two.

LouMoreno
May 08 2009, 04:12 PM
The Circle C Disc Golf Course in Austin is now open for play again!!!

While the project is not completely finished, it is close enough to get the course back in and to get players out there enjoying it. The new tee signs probably won�t be installed until next week (but they will be great), and there will be some small on-going projects out there for about the next month.

The Circle C re-opening is the culmination of years of work by Waterloo Disc Golf Club to get major improvements made on our disc golf courses. We hope, and expect, that this is just the beginning.

This project includes:

* A great partnership between Waterloo Disc Golf Club and City of Austin Parks & Recreation.
* The biggest investment by the city in disc golf since the early 1990s.
* Hundreds of volunteer hours put in by the club and its members, and over $6,000 of the club's money spent on the improvements.
* A re-designed course, now 18 holes, with short and long tee pads on many of the holes.
* Concrete tee pads and awesome tee signs on both the short and long positions.

The Club sends HUGE THANKS out to Mike Olse, Dan Mueller, Mike Graham, Josh Rippie, and all the other fantastic volunteers and workers who made this all happen; and to Disc Nation and Houck Design for their great support as well!

For questions about this project, please contact Dan Mueller at (512) 293-7592.

Tom_Peirce
May 08 2009, 05:12 PM
I heard Monday....yea, Monday....Testing only this weekend....Monday, thats it...

alirette
May 08 2009, 07:53 PM
Does anyone know the new course layout?

LouMoreno
May 09 2009, 02:06 AM
Same flow as the old 21 hole format. Anyone that's ever played it should have no problem.

Holes 1-6: Same as old 1-6 except 6 has a new pin position. Old 7 is gone.
Holes 7-10: Same as old 8-11 except old 10 has a new tee box position. Go straight down the hill after old 11 to the next box instead of heading to the old tee box on the right.
Hole 11: same pin position as old 12 with a new box and fairway. Old 13 is gone.
Hole 12: same as old 14. Old 15 is gone.
Hole 13: the only completely new hole on the course. You can't miss it on the walk to old hole 16.
Hole 14-15: same as old 16-17.
Hole 16: a combination of old 18 and 19.
Hole 17: old 20 with a new box.
Hole 18: same as old 21.

LouMoreno
May 09 2009, 10:45 PM
Bert, here's the link to the map from the Disc Nation website.
http://www.discnation.com/imagebank/Circle_C_Disc_Golf_2009_Full_Page.jpg

I played this morning and the course is even sweeter than I imagined. Big thanks again to Mike Olse, PARD, and all the volunteers for their work on the project.

james_mccaine
May 11 2009, 01:13 PM
May Mike's hand rest in peace. Major thanks to the big four: Mike, Mike, Josh and Dan

gordonmk
May 11 2009, 09:29 PM
Some photos of the "New" Circle C are now up on the Waterloo Club's website, www.austindiscgolf.org. They are in the photo gallery section (under Parks). A direct link (I hope): http://www.austindiscgolf.org/index.php?name=coppermine&file=thumbnails&album=21