Drew32
Mar 27 2006, 10:22 PM
Since I'm starting to add these throws into my bag I was wondering what type of discs are the best for these throws.

right now I'm useing a 169 T-Bird . I've seen one of my playing buddies use a beat up Wolf just for hammer throws with amazing accuracy.

Is there a science to these types of throws?

gregbrowning
Mar 27 2006, 11:02 PM
Where is Schweb when you need him?

quickdisc
Mar 27 2006, 11:21 PM
I hear Champion Monsters are awesome !!!!

veganray
Mar 28 2006, 12:20 AM
I like Champion Banshees for straight, accurate overhands, or Champion Firebirds for max D when you have some room to work with.

Mar 28 2006, 12:32 AM
Make sure the people you get advice from are known for throwing good overhand shots. I only have 4 thumber aces, and max out around 350'...I use the Monster.

the_beastmaster
Mar 28 2006, 12:42 AM
I used to throw almost exclusively thumbers, but I've pulled back on them somewhat to improve my game in other aspects. I've found a 174 Champ Orc to work the best for me. I've found that Firebirds will fly further, but they seem to have a lot more left to right movement for me and they aren't quite as accurate. For shorter thumber approaches I like to pull out my Champ Panther.

stevemaerz
Mar 28 2006, 02:08 AM
Lightning Flying Fortress.

jdavidson
Mar 28 2006, 09:15 AM
I use the Pro-D Venom. One brand new for max distance and one slightly worn in that will flip faster for more control.

superq16504
Mar 28 2006, 10:24 AM
EPIC

discgolfreview
Mar 28 2006, 10:59 AM
Drew:

a lot of it depends upon what type of flight/distance you are going for.

high speed stability affects the rate/speed of the corkscrew.
low speed overstability seems to affect the predictability of the flex and the pan time of the disc (vs. the disc being vertical).

for short range shots with a quick corkscrew, something high speed understable is ideal.

for longer range controlled shots, a disc that is high speed stable will give more control over the corkscrew.

for raw max D, the players i know that throw thumbers in excess of 350' generally favor discs that are high speed understable, low speed overstable, especially when throwing a double corkscrew or a corkscrew that will come out flat and S.

notahobogolfer
Mar 28 2006, 05:39 PM
The Ching velocity. I would never throw it for anything but a thumber.. It is gummy and has indentions around the rim. I like firebirds as well for more of the left to right action.

bfunkyp
Mar 28 2006, 06:14 PM
I was using the Champion Monster (170), but I just tried my new Star Teebird (170) for thumbers and I think that I am a convert. More control, more distance. I also like that it is more grippy.

easyE
Mar 30 2006, 05:41 PM
I use a pro line monster for thumbers. They seem to work better for my style then any other disc. I use a max weight orc for tomahawks and throw it as high as I can. The wind has everything to do with it so aiming is pretty had. It does work great for pancakes also.

bschweberger
Mar 30 2006, 10:02 PM
FIREBIRD......for long distance and accuracy. beat FIREBIRD for shorter tighter shots or holes.

Jackson
Apr 04 2006, 10:31 PM
I can throw tomahawks about 340' with a Venom and Orcs go about 310' but are probably a bit more on target. So if you are going for distance I would say go with the Venom although the plastic on the Venom pretty much sucks it does tomahawk well. If you can't throw thumbers or tomahawks far then I would try a starfire or waith (champion). It is really going to depend on how you throw. I tomahawk putters sometimes on short holes.

AWSmith
Apr 05 2006, 11:40 PM
I use a Champ Valk (175) flies nice and straight very consistent.

before i hurt my shoulder i'd use a monster and that goes super far but i wasnt as accurate with it.

nanook
Apr 07 2006, 01:28 AM
How about the Z-Flick for thumbers? Love my opaque blue, 165g first-run for this shot. Last season I had 4 ace runs in a two-month span with it, all hit metal, basket or higher. Two on the fly, two nearly bounced in...

klemrock
Apr 07 2006, 02:06 PM
Yes, Epics rule for thumbers and tomahawks.
In low wind situations, a beat Epic will get great distance, stay straight, and not roll.

greenbeard
Apr 11 2006, 10:27 AM
I hear Champion Monsters are awesome !!!!

all I throw for tommys and thumbers

ANHYZER
Apr 11 2006, 12:41 PM
Yup...and forehands, forehand rollers, grenades, etc...

yobyug
Apr 11 2006, 02:34 PM
Heavy FL or Light monster for thumbers & Orc for Pancakes

winonaradiosteve
Apr 13 2006, 01:47 AM
Champion Firebird for longer ones up to 350', Champion Monster for ones up to 300'.

eddie_ogburn
Apr 19 2006, 01:46 PM
Firebird for distance, Orc for short and accurate...

esalazar
Apr 19 2006, 02:11 PM
anyone thumb the star birds yet? how do they compare to champ and old opaque CE??

bschweberger
Apr 19 2006, 06:47 PM
anyone thumb the star birds yet? how do they compare to champ and old opaque CE??

First time I thumbed a Star Chicken, I aced with it.

Gimmie_tha_Roc
Apr 20 2006, 10:51 AM

Well I guess they work!! :cool:

DreaminTree
Apr 20 2006, 12:54 PM
I used to throw a 165 Eagle for distance thumbers, but now my shoulder is ruined so I can only throw <250 or so before it starts to hurt. I throw a 171 CE Firebird (FL) and it works great.

esalazar
Apr 20 2006, 01:48 PM

how do they fly comparitively speaking!!

the_kid
Apr 20 2006, 06:51 PM
I use and E Illusion

esalazar
Apr 20 2006, 09:52 PM
I use and E Illusion

never seen you thumb , Matt!!

the_kid
Apr 20 2006, 10:19 PM
Yeah I would rather throw a grenade. :DI use a Spirit for that.

CB2
Apr 20 2006, 10:34 PM
Firebird's are very nice disc for thumber's.

tafe
Apr 21 2006, 12:01 AM

how do they fly comparitively speaking!!

They feel VERY similar to the softer CE FX in the plate and the stiffer (a few of my orange ones were BEEFY compard to others) CE FX in the rim.
I'm taking one out and will let you know tomorrow.

T_Hizzle
Apr 21 2006, 10:29 AM
I have to agree with throwing the Venom for tomahawks. I have used Flicks, Preds, extreme, Tsunami and even a Quarter K for a little while. The Venom by far has the most D. I increased my Tomahawk distance over 350' using this disc. They beat in real quick, but its worth the $8 when people almost crap themselves watching it fly.